PDA

View Full Version : Gear help: very tall/long solo tents?

talldean
02-08-2007, 12:05
Followed Google here, to a thread talking about tents for tall guys. It's the off-season for 3-season tents, so I'm hoping to pick something up on sale, to be honest.

I'm 6'8". An 80" floor doesn't seem to cut it, at all. It took a *long* time to find myself a better sleeping bag... and now finding a solo tent is also turning into a problem.

Any suggestions?

Biloxi
02-08-2007, 12:29
check out henry shires tarp tents...most run in the 90's long

Biloxi
02-08-2007, 12:31
the rainbow and dbl rainbow are 98 inches long

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-08-2007, 12:38
A Tarptent Rainbow($215) (http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html) or Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo ($235) (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36)

rafe
02-08-2007, 13:07
Tarptent Rainbow. Incredibly roomy, both footprint and headroom.

Beachwalker
02-08-2007, 14:02
Light: Tarptent, take your pick, Contrail or Rainbow. I use a Virga.

Heavier: Eureka Backcountry 1. Major league space for a single user tent, cheap, and yes, well built. I use a Eureka Mountain Pass 1 sometimes, same tent with a fly.

-- BW

talldean
02-08-2007, 14:23
Dang; thank you all! This might be considerably easier than I thought.

rswanson
02-08-2007, 19:12
Dean,

If you don't mind, what bag are you using that fits you well?

Skidsteer
02-08-2007, 20:20
BTW Talldean, welcome to WB!

talldean
02-09-2007, 11:46
Dean,

If you don't mind, what bag are you using that fits you well?

I have a Lamina 45 from Mountain Hardware; when some of the slack is out of it (since I'm thinner than it allows for), it stretches up from 6'6" to about 6'8". Tight fit, but not beating it for the price.

I also have a Sierra Designs Paul Bunyan for colder weather. If anything, the girth is far, far too large, but it'd easily fit someone who's 7'.

Both of those were $50-100ish. Save going into the $300+ range and having one custom-made, those were the most suitable I've found.

neo
02-09-2007, 12:33
:D get this hammock here:cool: neo

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm

GlazeDog
02-11-2007, 18:34
Talldean--
I'm 6'6"----so I can empathize with the tall tent problem. Henry Shires Tarptent's are an excellent choice (solo tent see: the Contrail):

http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

Also, I use the Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter with a seasonal bug net setup. It's lightweight and very long. I was very comfortable in this tarp. Backpacker magazine wrote in a recent review it was long enought for Tim Duncan to stretch out in. I very much agree!!!

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn-Shelter.html

The photos on the Goss.Gear site are deceptive. Trust me--it is long enough.

Good Luck--
GlazeDog

talldean
01-13-2008, 20:28
So, in case anyone else staggers into this one, here's what the last year taught me.

The Eureka Backcountry 1 was what I went with. Relatively inexpensive from a brand I've had great experience with in the past. It's been great, and outdoors quite a few times this year.

This year, I'm looking for a tent for two, as I have another person backpacking with me. (Yay!) Survey, for anyone 6'8" or so: 90" doesn't come close, and most tents marketed at 96" just aren't. The main problem is probably that the floor-space varies significantly from the useable space a foot off the ground (where your toes and forehead generally are!) Getting tired of trying things out and winding up with a wet head when I wake up, or having the foot end of my sleeping bag soaked from touching a wall with condensation on it.

Anyways, 2 and 2.5 person tents for really tall folks seemed to work as follows:

Mountain Hardwear's Light Wedge 3 was close, the Light Path wasn't. I wanted to try a Hammerhead 2, but couldn't find one. Set these all up at an REI.

Mail ordered a Eureka Zeus 3, and returned it, as it seemed too short. if there were spots to stake between the heads and feet of the people in the tent, it might stretch farther, but there's no attachment there to stake it down, and the tautness of the tent seems to shorten it. (If that makes any sense?)

Nothing by Sierra Designs, Big Agnes, Marmot, or the North Face that I've seen in this length. Saw a Mountainsmith, but not really sold on their quality; had a friend have a pack of theirs break terribly on him.

All of the two-hoop bivvys fell short in useable space a foot off the ground, although I didn't find a three-man two hoop to try. If the current plan falls through, that's the backup idea.

GoLite doesn't offer dimensions on their website (???), Bibler/Black Diamond are outta my price range. The Black Diamond Vista looks interesting, but $400 (inc groundcloth) is pricey.

Next up is a mail order on a Tarptent Double Rainbow. Hopefully that works out for 2008+.

Dogwood
01-14-2008, 04:21
Thru-hiked the AT in 06 with a Eureka Backcountry I. Bought at Campmor for $90. Floor is roughly 34"x96", about 3lb.14oz., freestanding, no vestibule but I found it was spacious for my 6'4" 210 lb. lanky frame and all my gear, 36" interior ht. Never have had a leak in it or any problems to this day. Easy to pitch. If the wt. is a concern swap out the cheap stock stakes, poles, and stuff sack(s) with lite wt gear and save a few oz. It 's a palace even for a giraffe like U. As already mentioned Henry makes some great lite wt. tarptents that will fit tall people. I also have the SpinnTwinn Tarp from Gossamer Gear that has seen its share of inclement weather; I never got wet in it. Also, have Spectralite .60(Cuben fiber) MLD Grace Duo tarp that provides complete coverage for me in inclement weather. It's important for everyone, but I believe even more so for tall guys like us to see the tent set-up and lay down in before U buy!

doodah man
01-14-2008, 12:40
Next up is a mail order on a Tarptent Double Rainbow. Hopefully that works out for 2008+.

Hey talldean, a lightweight 2 person option for very tall folks worth consideration would be the Stephenson 2R from www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com/). I have been using one for ~25 years. In a pinch I have spent a night in the tent with three occupants and the other two guys were both in the 6'4" range. A true double wall 3 season tent that weighs three pounds including everything. (tent, poles, stakes, stuffsack). It is not free standing, but I have never found that to be an issue. They are expensive, but very well made. doodah-man