PDA

View Full Version : Poll For former Long Distance Hikers

Boat Drinks
02-08-2007, 13:20
Durring your Thru attemp, What ailment caused you to either take a week or more off, or a hospital visit?

Sly
02-08-2007, 13:27
I've had to leave the/a trail thrice. 1-ran out of money, 2-knee injury, 3-ran out of money. PS I'm not a former LDH yet! :p

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 13:38
After a month and a half on the trail(1976), I got tired of: sore, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, dirty, starchy, smelly, and even hiking itself - just to name a few. A year later it was fun again. And it still is. But I've never been back to the woods for a month and a half again, so I don't know if my tolerance has changed. I get bored quickly.

(Perhaps I'm ADD and need meds - but that's another thread:datz)

Ender
02-08-2007, 14:05
I fractured a bone in my left foot during my '98 thru hike, but was able to keep hiking, and finished the trail that year. However, that injury came back to haunt me when I attempted the PCT in '03. I didn't break another bone, but I did have "foot issues" that led to me having to pull off the PCT at around the halfway point.

Mountain Maiden
02-08-2007, 14:06
Just 3 1/2 miles north of Eckville Shelter, I broke my arm (wrist, actually) in three places, I had to have surgery five days later in Allentown. I didn't hike for 10 days total. But--never really left the Trail (didn't go home) during the incident.

However, a few days later, a death in the family required a trip home to SC and I was away for 10 days.

The days following my return to the Trail were some of the hardest of my entire thru-hike! Even tho Okie, Sunset, Papa Smurf, Flame and Sea Lion had stayed by my side during the entire broken arm ordeal, they had to, understandably, continue on the Trail during the funeral absence.

Ohhh--how I missed my Hiker Family! At one point, I even begged to jump ahead to find them! We did and found them in Great Barrington. What a wonderful reunion! Seeing them really helped but my hike to Katahdin was never the same without them.

My thru-hike endured two funerals, a wedding and a broken arm. 208 days including 60 zeros...

HIKE ON!
Sunny aka Sunrise game 02 aka Cody Zamora :sun

LEGS
02-08-2007, 14:12
Durring your Thru attemp, What ailment caused you to either take a week or more off, or a hospital visit?

I spent 3 days in the Algo shelter near kent because of a bad knee. Never left the trail because of it, but it did require a few days of rest and an elastic brace for a few days. You'll be fine man, dont worry so much, we have faith in ya, ya gonna make it fine. Happy Trails. Remember its the smiles,not the miles.

Marta
02-08-2007, 14:15
Are you interested in finding out what percentage of hikers did NOT get off for a week or more due to illness or injury?

The only time I spent a week off the trail was because of a pre-arranged family vacation. Other than that, I just kept limping and coughing my way along...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Boat Drinks
02-08-2007, 14:18
(Perhaps I'm ADD and need meds - but that's another thread:datz)
You're a funny guy! LOL :D

Butch Cassidy
02-08-2007, 14:23
Nothing in my case. AS the Paladin GAME 05 I hiked with many pains, blisters, bruises, Lymes in Mass. Sunburn in the whites, dozens of falls and only took 6 zero days.
I was very, very lucky for an old man!!:cool: Butch

SalParadise
02-08-2007, 16:13
1a. foot stress fracture
1b. bursitis in knee
Both basically occurred at the same time, but i could barely walk from the bursitis, so I was off the Trail.

2a. tendonitis-5 days off in Damascus
2b. open sore/blister on top of foot. 4 days off at the Doyle
2c. tendonitis-1 day off in Monson (just as bad as before, but I learned how best to heal it).

Bravo
02-08-2007, 16:39
2c. tendonitis-1 day off in Monson (just as bad as before, but I learned how best to heal it).

How did you heal it? That's good info to have.

Moxie00
02-08-2007, 18:33
My answer had to be other, I have been fortunate to never have to leave the trail on several long distance hikes. I may have wanted to, almost did once, have hiked with a severe cold and major sprains but have been fortunate enough to never have to get off before my final destination.

rafe
02-08-2007, 18:57
Knock wood, the only thing that's kicked me off the trail is bad attitude, ie., insufficient fun... ie., the feeling that what I'm doing is just too much like.... work.

Spirit Walker
02-08-2007, 19:15
I've never gotten off the trail due to injury or illness. Sprained an ankle on the PCT but kept on hiking. Tendonitis on the AT and I took two days off in Damascus, but then kept on hiking. Started a rock slide that took off the end of my finger on the CDT, but that only cost me five days as I waited to see if infection would set in. When we were sure it wouldn't, we kept on hiking.

Jim broke a wrist on the AT and had a few other injuries, including badly swollen knees, but never took more than two days off. He broke his toe on the PCT and hiked another 2500 miles on it without any time off.

Footslogger
02-08-2007, 19:35
[quote=Marta;318724]Are interested in finding out what percentage of hikers did NOT get off for a week or more due to illness or injury?

============================================

I had (progressively worse) kidney stone disease during my 2003 thru. Symptoms started just before Irwin and I knew what was happening. Made a conscious decision to stay as hydrated as possible and try to see the hike through, since I figured this well may have been my only shot at it. Dropped into hypothermia going up Franconia Ridge due to the pain/cramps but somehow (thanks to a couple dear co-hikers) made it back down into North Woodstock and took a down day before continuing onward.

Finished my hike and saw a urologist as soon as I got home. He was flabbergasted that I made it. Two surgeries later the stones were gone and (fingers crossed) have not returned.

'Slogger

Blissful
02-08-2007, 20:27
Wow, these have really been uplifting stories of fortitude. I've now developed left foot pain (in the instep) today for some weird reason as walked some hills with my pack (though I have had various pains that come and go anyway these last few weeks). I figure it's stretching of ligaments, etc. I plan to take advantage of mtn streams to soak feet and ankles etc. And icing when I get to hostels. I really believe in cold therapy. My left foot and ankle are my problem areas since my major ankle injury nearly 3 yrs ago.

Spirit Walker
02-08-2007, 20:31
Blissful - you may need to change either your shoes or your insoles. Not all running shoes give the support you need.

But you're right, soaking feet always helps make them feel better, especially when it's hot.

McPick
02-08-2007, 21:09
Even after hiking nearly 600 miles, I got nailed by severe shin splints in both legs, at the same time. They may have been stress fractures, but without having had a bone scan, (they sometimes don’t show up on x-ray) it’s only a guess. I was off the trail for 3 weeks icing these injuries. Plus, they constantly reminded me about them throughout the rest of my hike. I honestly believe it was the steep, downhill on the road hike near Bland, VA that caused these injuries.

There are simple yet effective stretching exercises that can be done to help minimize the risk of these and other hike-threatening injuries. Look on the web, or speak with a sports trainer. Cross-country runners are particularly susceptible to shin splints and are a wealth of information. (Thanks Tomato Gravy!)

I watched people quit their 2006 hike for any number of reasons, including: injuries, boredom, house burning down, etc. Some injuries are unavoidable (slipping or other accidents) but the threat of some can be greatly reduced, simply by stretching, being careful with each step and “listening” to your body Who ever has the slogan, “Start slow and then slow down!” on WhiteBlaze, is providing hikers with a valuable piece of information.

I've been off the trail nearly 4 months and several toes on my right foot are still numb.

MOWGLI
02-08-2007, 21:12
1 week for infected blisters in Georgia. 5 days for a stomach ailment in Maine.

hopefulhiker
02-08-2007, 21:13
One week for infection on heel..... also shin splints for a few days.. chafing,, one day....

Mountain Maiden
02-08-2007, 21:26
......I honestly believe it was the steep, downhill on the road hike near Bland, VA that caused these injuries. .

....Who ever has the slogan, “Start slow and then slow down!” on WhiteBlaze, is providing hikers with a valuable piece of information.

LOL--I know one hiker who would absolutely agree with you! He spent nearly three weeks nursing very swollen shinsplints and blamed them on that exact stretch of Trail.

"Start Slow.." would be the words of wisdom from the wise and wonderful Mr. MedicineMan.

:sun

Jim Adams
02-09-2007, 01:50
Knees due to not enough arch support in my boots---off the trail in 2002 for 2 weeks.
geek

mnof1000v
02-10-2007, 17:03
I had a bad case of cellulitis (skin infection) brought on by some awful blisters that caused me to leave the trail for a month.