PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira as an antiseptic?

dloome
02-08-2007, 14:46
I've heard of people using it as an antiseptic. Anyone know how? I'd imagine the undiluted mixed solution would be effective. Maybe a very strong mix like half/half H20 and A-M?

I often carry a very small BPL dropper bottle of peroxide, but it's always nice to find an item that can do double duty.

neo
02-08-2007, 15:11
I've heard of people using it as an antiseptic. Anyone know how? I'd imagine the undiluted mixed solution would be effective. Maybe a very strong mix like half/half H20 and A-M?

I often carry a very small BPL dropper bottle of peroxide, but it's always nice to find an item that can do double duty.

i used polar pure as an anticeptic:cool: neo

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-09-2007, 07:41
I would think using Polar Pure be similar to 'gentle iodine' used in veterinary medicine. The usual concentration used as a topical antiseptic is 3 to 7% iodine.

I found this report (http://www.med.akita-u.ac.jp/%7Edoubutu/ouu/appendix2.html)about the active ingredient in AM used as an antiseptic in veterinary surgery:
Chlorine dioxide (Clidox or Alcide), is available as a binary system, consisting of a base and an activator, which require mixing. Once prepared the usable life of the solution is 14 days. Chlorine dioxide is effective against all classes of microorganisms including bacterial spores. Three minutes of contact time is necessary for efficacy.

1azarus
02-09-2007, 09:01
wow, frolicking dinosaur!!! on a just slightly related subject people have wondered about premixing aquamira so they don't have to wait that pesky 5 minutes before adding it to water, and only need to carry one dropper bottle... aquamira says don't do it, but your reference seems to be saying it might be ok -- for fourteen days...