PDA

View Full Version : Maryland/WV Input

reh1966
02-09-2007, 09:15
In April, six of us plan to hike the Maryland/WV part of the AT. We hope to leave our cars in the Harpers Ferry area and get a shuttle up to the Pen Mar trail head. I need suggestion in regards to shuttle ideas and is there any place close to the trail head at Pen Mar to stay the night. We will be coming up on a Thursday, spend the night, and begin hiking on Friday morning. If we can stay in the Pen Mar area Thursday night that would save us about an hour of travel time Friday before hitting the trail. Ideas or contacts will be appreciated.

Rex

EarlyBird2007
02-09-2007, 09:38
That's a nice section. I did it over labor day weekend last year. I always thought of MD as pretty flat, but in fact there are some moderately challenging parts.

Here's a link to the 2006 ALDHA guide on this section of the AT. Print it off and look at the information on Pen-Mar. It also has ideas for parking in the HF area. Two places to consider are at the hostel and at Keep Tryst Rd. by the rr tracks. http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-pa06.pdf

I know there is lots of parking at Pen-Mar county park. Rather than trying to find a shuttle, you might consider just leaving a car up at Pen-Mar. The trail goes right through the park. Great view from there across the valley into PA. The ALDHA guide refers to a B & B in the Pen-Mar area. Never stayed there myself, though it is probably ok.

Hope that helps.

fonsie
02-09-2007, 09:47
Theres a shuttle there in Harpers Ferry outfitter. Make arangements with them and they charge gas money and a donation. You can park at the Harpers Ferry visitor center. Wich weekand you all are doing this I live in md and done that section many times, but it would be fun to do again.

EarlyBird2007
02-09-2007, 10:03
You can park at the Harpers Ferry visitor center.

I forgot about the visitor center. That's probably better than Keep Tryst Rd. (Love the name, though.):)

fonsie
02-09-2007, 10:23
Yea you take the buss down to the town for free and go up high street to get to the outfitters. You might want to call in advance to talk about the shuttle. I don't kno the number but If you go on ebay and look up camping gear. You will find the outfitters on there and you can get a #. Or you can call the ATC at 304-535-6331. They have a good list of shuttles

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 10:29
Yea you take the buss down to the town for free and go up high street to get to the outfitters. You might want to call in advance to talk about the shuttle. I don't kno the number but If you go on ebay and look up camping gear. You will find the outfitters on there and you can get a #. Or you can call the ATC at 304-535-6331. They have a good list of shuttles

parking at the visitor's center is $6 for up to 2 weeks maximum and you must register at the center between 8-5. The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry 888-535-2087

Newb
02-09-2007, 17:08
I love that hike. I also like to do it northbound and stop by the biker bar at the I-70 overpass....

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 17:09
I love that hike. I also like to do it northbound and stop by the biker bar at the I-70 overpass....

last i knew the biker bar was shut down in a drug raid. when were you there last?

MarcnNJ
02-09-2007, 20:15
I was there in June 06 during my thru.....Went in to escape the humidity and oncoming thunderstorms......Well, 7 hours later it still hadnt rained, but as soon as we started walking back up to the trail it started....Came down so hard, we were going to campout under the overpass....But, we cooked a Lipton, the rain slowed, and we pushed on to Pine Knob.....Great place, Dogpatch Saloon

Blissful
02-09-2007, 20:36
parking at the visitor's center is $6

Unless you have a national park pass, which we did, then the parking is free. :)

reh1966
02-10-2007, 22:35
Thanks for all the input and advice. Hopefully the first of the week we can firm up some plans. We plan to hike Friday 4/20 to Monday 4/23. That should give us ample time and not require to much time away from work.

Rex

Theres a shuttle there in Harpers Ferry outfitter. Make arangements with them and they charge gas money and a donation. You can park at the Harpers Ferry visitor center. Wich weekand you all are doing this I live in md and done that section many times, but it would be fun to do again.