PDA

View Full Version : Serious Influenza in Ga for NOBO hikers!

The Doctor
02-09-2007, 12:16
All NOBO thru hikers be extra careful if you visit any of Georgias heavily populated areas before departing. There is a serious case of the flu (ass blasting syndrome) going around that lasts forever (i've had it for the past 5 days and it's still not getting much better). Many of my co-workers, friends and relatives have had it and they felt the symptoms for at least 10 days. The first day after inoculation isn't that bad except for the upset stomach, headache and fever. The second day seems to involve a bit of vomiting, more headache, more fever and explosive diarhea. The third-fifth days are mostly just peeing out of the ass w/ little forewarning of the event (don't trust farts either). Bring excess TP on the trail if you suspect you may have it becasue you will damn well need it.

It doesn't exactly grease your ass like that olestra thread, but it makes your poops look like tan baby food. Also, the poops give about a 30 second warning before they release so beware and do lots of preventative maintenance. I'm fortunate not to be on the trail right now in the condition i'm in, otherwise I might have to have taken a week or more off from the trail.

Wash hands, stay away from the sick, don't share syringes and you should be fine!

That's my two cents on the matter!

peanuts
02-09-2007, 12:22
All NOBO thru hikers be extra careful if you visit any of Georgias heavily populated areas before departing. There is a serious case of the flu (ass blasting syndrome) going around that lasts forever (i've had it for the past 5 days and it's still not getting much better). Many of my co-workers, friends and relatives have had it and they felt the symptoms for at least 10 days. The first day after inoculation isn't that bad except for the upset stomach, headache and fever. The second day seems to involve a bit of vomiting, more headache, more fever and explosive diarhea. The third-fifth days are mostly just peeing out of the ass w/ little forewarning of the event (don't trust farts either). Bring excess TP on the trail if you suspect you may have it becasue you will damn well need it.

It doesn't exactly grease your ass like that olestra thread, but it makes your poops look like tan baby food. Also, the poops give about a 30 second warning before they release so beware and do lots of preventative maintenance. I'm fortunate not to be on the trail right now in the condition i'm in, otherwise I might have to have taken a week or more off from the trail.

Wash hands, stay away from the sick, don't share syringes and you should be fine!

That's my two cents on the matter!
TMI........you could have just said bad flu going around...eeeek:eek:

Footslogger
02-09-2007, 12:30
Reminiscent of 2003 ...but this is pretty early. In '03 bythe time I got to Irwin there were at least a dozen hikers holed up at Miss Janets with the flu (or some other debilitating bug)

'Slogger

rafe
02-09-2007, 13:01
Funny. For most of this year's section hike, my wife was at home... with a bug that sounds very much like this one. It was also right around the time when that "tainted" spinach was discovered. My wife had a rotten time of it, but I had a great hike. :)

MarcnNJ
02-09-2007, 13:23
Last year it took most people till Erwin to get it....but lots of hikers sought refuge at the super 8 to quarantine themselves from others....i was at ms. janets when mine started, and a crowded hostel is not the place to be when something like this hits you....there were atleast a half dozen others at the super 8 when i got there from the bug also...

Marta
02-09-2007, 13:25
Another good reason to go SOBO...

Marta/Five-Leaf

khaynie
02-09-2007, 13:55
Another good reason to go SOBO...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Very nicely said.

Singe03
02-09-2007, 14:35
Last year it took most people till Erwin to get it....but lots of hikers sought refuge at the super 8 to quarantine themselves from others....i was at ms. janets when mine started, and a crowded hostel is not the place to be when something like this hits you....there were atleast a half dozen others at the super 8 when i got there from the bug also...

Bathroom lines and such digestive conditions are a HORRIBLE mix...

The Doctor
02-09-2007, 15:00
yep, ass peeing is not a fun experience even when there are restrooms and excess TP readily available!

Blissful
02-09-2007, 15:01
I got my flu shot in Oct. And already had my 3 week resp bug for the year. Hope that helps!

The Doctor
02-09-2007, 15:07
I also got my flu shot in oct. and this Ga strain is quite resilient to it!

Fahrenheit
02-09-2007, 16:03
Flu shots won't protect against this bug as its NOT influenza and flu shots only protect against the infulenza virus. Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is not caused by the influenza virus. Actual influenza is a respiratory illness. That said there is definately a gastroenteritis bug going around all over GA. The hospital I work at as had tons of people out sick with it in the past few weeks. I've been lucky so far.

ASUGrad
02-09-2007, 16:46
"The first day after inoculation"

Inoculation?

Fannypack
02-09-2007, 16:55
"The first day after inoculation"

Inoculation?
wiki has an answer for everything. Is this right Fahrenheit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inoculation

Fahrenheit
02-09-2007, 17:17
wiki has an answer for everything. Is this right Fahrenheit?

Sounds pretty good to me. I wasn't familiar with the history of the word. This sounds pretty good too.

The introduction of a serum, a vaccine, or an antigenic substance into the body of a person or an animal, especially as a means to produce or boost immunity to a specific disease.
The introduction of a microorganism or an agent of disease into an host organism or a growth medium.

Newb
02-09-2007, 17:22
It's official:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/09/D8N6BIMO0.html

NC hospitals warn of GI bug....

Fannypack
02-09-2007, 17:38
Sounds pretty good to me. I wasn't familiar with the history of the word. <snip>
remember wikipedia is ONLY different persons views and is not always correct.. Iassume the "history" is accurate.

see wikipedia intro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Introduction

The Doctor
02-09-2007, 18:22
Innocuation may have not been the prefered word. Hows about infected?

Two Speed
02-09-2007, 19:06
Back to the original subject for just a moment: lots of folks in my office have had a dose of the stomach flu going around. Pretty nasty, from what they say. About half of them have been down for the count three or more days.

Back to our regularly programmed thread drift . . .

Blissful
02-09-2007, 20:39
Ugh. Hope it's gone by Feb 28th.

emerald
02-09-2007, 21:04
If not, tent, get into and out of town and keep moving!

refreeman
02-09-2007, 21:38
LOL LOL yes LOL
giardia?

L Tee
02-09-2007, 21:45
you said poop

trlhiker
02-09-2007, 21:46
I was going to say that I hope it doesn't show up in NC but I guess it is too late. Hope it don't come to my neck of the state.

4eyedbuzzard
02-09-2007, 23:16
I guess this might increase water filter sales.:-?

Blissful
02-09-2007, 23:18
Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer!!!

Toolshed
02-09-2007, 23:39
Flu shots won't protect against this bug as its NOT influenza and flu shots only protect against the infulenza virus. Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is not caused by the influenza virus. Actual influenza is a respiratory illness. That said there is definately a gastroenteritis bug going around all over GA. The hospital I work at as had tons of people out sick with it in the past few weeks. I've been lucky so far.
Yes, and not all strains of Influenza. WHO, CDC and NIH and the 2 major vaccine manufacturers (Chiron [FKA Powderject, FKA Evans] and Sanofi-Pasteur [FKA Aventis-Pastuer, FKA Conneaught]) get together every year to decide which strains of influenza will be prevalent in the following year and then take several of those strains where they are then "inoculated" into 10's of millions of chicken eggs to grow. The viruses are then extracted (It is a fascinating process) and killed, cleaned and packed in syringes or vials for the coming fall immunisation programs.
That said, People speak all the time of being down with the flu for a few days. Not so. Influenza is nasty and is nothing like a cold virus. It usually knocks folks down for up to two weeks. It makes you weak, sore, extremely tired amoung other things and complications due to Bacterial pneumonia can be a concern - especially if the immune system is already compromised.

I had influenza once that I can ever recall, in the late 70's and was truly bedbound for a week - It is not something I would wish on anyone.

saimyoji
02-10-2007, 12:09
Yes, and not all strains of Influenza. WHO, CDC and NIH and the 2 major vaccine manufacturers (Chiron [FKA Powderject, FKA Evans] and Sanofi-Pasteur [FKA Aventis-Pastuer, FKA Conneaught]) get together every year to decide which strains of influenza will be prevalent in the following year and then take several of those strains where they are then "inoculated" into 10's of millions of chicken eggs to grow. The viruses are then extracted (It is a fascinating process) and killed, cleaned and packed in syringes or vials for the coming fall immunisation programs.
That said, People speak all the time of being down with the flu for a few days. Not so. Influenza is nasty and is nothing like a cold virus. It usually knocks folks down for up to two weeks. It makes you weak, sore, extremely tired amoung other things and complications due to Bacterial pneumonia can be a concern - especially if the immune system is already compromised.

I had influenza once that I can ever recall, in the late 70's and was truly bedbound for a week - It is not something I would wish on anyone.

Gotta agree here. Most people do mistake a 2-3 day bug with the flu. I had true influenza once in college, was out of it for over a week: high fever, associated intestinal problems, muscle soreness and the most vivid halucinations I've ever experienced. I was dehydrated to near death, spent time in the hospital getting rehydrated. Not at all like the many 24-48 hour bugs I've had since.

Bravo
02-10-2007, 12:28
Gotta agree here. Most people do mistake a 2-3 day bug with the flu. I had true influenza once in college, was out of it for over a week: high fever, associated intestinal problems, muscle soreness and the most vivid halucinations I've ever experienced. I was dehydrated to near death, spent time in the hospital getting rehydrated. Not at all like the many 24-48 hour bugs I've had since.

I third that. Bed ridden for 7 days. I thought I was gonna die. Kinda wishing for it at that point too.

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2007, 21:41
Influenza is spread mostly by droplets through the air, especially in crowded places like airplanes or other forms of public transportation, or in shelters, etc.

Symptoms of flu are sudden onset of fever, chills, aches, and fatigue. Most of the time diarrhea is not a symptom of influenza in adults.

Stomach bugs that give you diarrhea are mostly spread by oral contamination and hand-washing and alcohol gels are more likely to prevent those illnesses than the flu.

It is unlikely that you would be able to hike very far or fast with the flu because you feel so exhausted.

SteveJ
02-12-2007, 23:31
I can attest to the fact that some type of intestinal bug is going around here in Georgia - put me out of commission for a few days last week!

bfitz
02-13-2007, 01:21
"Never trust a fart!"
-My dad, circa 2002

Wonder
02-13-2007, 01:27
Ugh. Hope it's gone by Feb 28th.

Jeez.....I hope it's gone by tomorrow night!:eek:

Newb
02-13-2007, 08:27
That article I posted earlier said it's NORO virus.