PDA

View Full Version : From Trail Journals

Frosty
02-09-2007, 13:25
Now that people are on the trail, trailjournals.com is starting to fill up. Love to read journals.

There seems to be more early journals than usual, but the comments remind me of last year's early birds. Here's one from Muskrat Creek Shelter on Feb 6:

All in all a pretty good day. But I was alone again in the shelter. Not a good thing... I really feel I'm missing a lot of the trail experience by starting so early. And it's very lonely....

I've read variations of this theme from several hikers.

Well, it'll warm up soon and there will be scads of hikers out there.

Furlough
02-09-2007, 14:01
Frosty,
I have noticed the same thing. It is interesting to note that there seems to be a few folks within striking distance of each other who are alone and feeling it. As they move North and the vagarcies of the trail kick in (zero days, high mileage, weather delays etc) it will be interesting to read how and if they link up.

Furlough

neo
02-09-2007, 14:14
:) trail journals are to cool:cool: neo

Jaybird
02-09-2007, 14:27
Now that people are on the trail, trailjournals.com is starting to fill up. Love to read journals.......................................... ..............YADA,YADA,YADA,out there.

Yo Frosty!
U gonna try it again this year?:D

Ewker
02-09-2007, 14:36
nothing like reading Trail Journals, well except for being out there yourself

Frosty
02-09-2007, 21:29
Yo Frosty!
U gonna try it again this year?:DCan't. I have a committment in April-May, and not sure I want to go SoBo later in the year. Marta made it sound interesting, but still seems a lonely way to go to me. I think in 2008 I will once again start at Springer and attempt a thru NoBo. Maybe the third times a charm, eh?

This summer I think I will do the Long Trail. Also am making plans to do the Pinhoti Trail in March and maybe hike from Springer to the April Fool hiker bash if I can figure the logistics of leaving a car at Franklin and getting to Springer. I love the excitement and energy of hiking north from Springer with the hopefuls. I must like it. I keep doing it :D

Sly
02-09-2007, 21:36
It's Feb. 9th and hikers are talking about having a shelter by themselves and being lonely. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

whykickamoocow
02-09-2007, 22:42
what are some of the trail names of some of the hikers that have started, im going to go to trail journals to check them out

Frosty
02-10-2007, 02:06
what are some of the trail names of some of the hikers that have started, im going to go to trail journals to check them outThese come to mind:
Tom Brown
Mr. Happy
Zero
Skeemer (FT)
Santas helper
Hikernutt
The Walrus

Mr Happy and Zero have been on the trail almost a month each, and are currently at Fontana Dam and Franklin, mostly due to waiting out extremely cold or bad weather.

There are also a couple hikers in southern VA now, I believe. I want to say G.H.O.S.T. and another fella, but I'm not certain and they don't have trail journals to follow their progress.

Every year Baltimore Jack and others point out that even when you start early, you don't gain that much time because you lose a lot of days due to bad weather days, and the costs of a hike go up due to more lodging costs and more town meals.

Waiting just two or three weeks makes a tremendous difference. Last March, Tinker and I left Amicalola March 6 or 7, and there were lots of people. There were cold nights, true, but in low 20's, not single digits, and the trail wasn't ice covered (Mugwump already got off the trail because it is nothing but ice right now between Springer and Neels. He will be back in a couple weeks.)

Bloodroot
02-10-2007, 02:30
Been checking out several of em too Frosty. Lots are taking zeros due to cold weather I've noticed. One dude refused to puton his frozen pack...lol

maxNcathy
02-10-2007, 09:49
i enjoyed your journal frosty.
sandalwood

Frosty
02-19-2007, 18:15
Cold weather hiking woes continue on trailjournals. I don't mean to poke fun, and I'm sure this guy will be back on the trail in a couple weeks, but boy, does it seem like a HUGE difference between a February and a March start! Cold weather (under 20*) camping is so much tougher than normal camping, and this is made so much worse by being alone. I agree with the guy. I would have been miserable, too. Kudos to all the early hikers who are now in the Smokies and beyond.

Sunday, February 18, 2007
Its 11:55am on Sunday February 18th I am packed up and ready to head out in the next 5 min. Wish me luck. Next update......From The TRAIL!!!

Monday, February 19, 2007
Well everyone i am back at home. After arriving at the Springer Shelter and setting up camp i checked in with a few people back home. Then i attempted to make a fire in the fire pit. The wind was so strong it was a constant battle to keep enough wood on it so i gave up and got in my hammock to warm up. I just could not get warm and as the sun started to go down i got much colder. i decided to move into the shelter. with the shelter empty except for the mice i put all my gear up in the loft and made some tea and ate a some food. Two random guys walked up just after i ate and offered me a ride back to the falls since it was getting cold. I declined. When they left i made a hot water bottle and crawled in my sleeping bag, i started to warm up but quickly became cold again. i found my thermometer and checked the temp 7^in the shelter. with all my clothing on, I cinched down the hood on my sleeping bag and called a few people for support. after a brief time on the phone i realized i was not going to get any warmer. I made the decision to go home for a bit, i was just miserable. I called for a ride and packed my gear. I signed the Shelter logbook at 8:30pm and headed for FS 42 then down the road to meet my ride. Well so far my thru hike is not shaping up like i had planned but i got my start. Ill be back out in a couple weeks. hopefully better prepared for the cold.

Sly
02-19-2007, 18:26
.9 miles done, only 2174.1 to go!

Ewker
02-19-2007, 21:06
There are also a couple hikers in southern VA now, I believe. I want to say G.H.O.S.T. and another fella, but I'm not certain and they don't have trail journals to follow their progress.

I think the other guy is Trek.

Fannypack
02-19-2007, 21:13
Cold weather hiking woes continue on trailjournals. I don't mean to poke fun, and I'm sure this guy will be back on the trail in a couple weeks, but boy, does it seem like a HUGE difference between a February and a March start! Cold weather (under 20*) camping is so much tougher than normal camping, and this is made so much worse by being alone. I agree with the guy. I would have been miserable, too. Kudos to all the early hikers who are now in the Smokies and beyond.

Sunday, February 18, 2007
Its 11:55am on Sunday February 18th I am packed up and ready to head out in the next 5 min. Wish me luck. Next update......From The TRAIL!!!

Monday, February 19, 2007
Well everyone i am back at home. After arriving at the Springer Shelter and setting up camp i checked in with a few people back home. Then i attempted to make a fire in the fire pit. The wind was so strong it was a constant battle to keep enough wood on it so i gave up and got in my hammock to warm up. I just could not get warm and as the sun started to go down i got much colder. i decided to move into the shelter. with the shelter empty except for the mice i put all my gear up in the loft and made some tea and ate a some food. Two random guys walked up just after i ate and offered me a ride back to the falls since it was getting cold. I declined. When they left i made a hot water bottle and crawled in my sleeping bag, i started to warm up but quickly became cold again. i found my thermometer and checked the temp 7^in the shelter. with all my clothing on, I cinched down the hood on my sleeping bag and called a few people for support. after a brief time on the phone i realized i was not going to get any warmer. I made the decision to go home for a bit, i was just miserable. I called for a ride and packed my gear. I signed the Shelter logbook at 8:30pm and headed for FS 42 then down the road to meet my ride. Well so far my thru hike is not shaping up like i had planned but i got my start. Ill be back out in a couple weeks. hopefully better prepared for the cold.
I assume these Feb18,2007 & Feb 19,2009 entries are made-up , since I can't find them on TJ.. Can u help me?

Ewker
02-19-2007, 21:33
here is one of them
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167157

1Pint
02-19-2007, 21:35
The entry of 2/18 sounds like a Zach on TJ.

Oops - Ewker got it.

tiamalle
02-19-2007, 22:42
Can't. I have a committment in April-May, and not sure I want to go SoBo later in the year. Marta made it sound interesting, but still seems a lonely way to go to me. I think in 2008 I will once again start at Springer and attempt a thru NoBo. Maybe the third times a charm, eh?

This summer I think I will do the Long Trail. Also am making plans to do the Pinhoti Trail in March and maybe hike from Springer to the April Fool hiker bash if I can figure the logistics of leaving a car at Franklin and getting to Springer. I love the excitement and energy of hiking north from Springer with the hopefuls. I must like it. I keep doing it :DIf you decide to do it let me know a little in advance and I'll get you there.

Frosty
02-19-2007, 22:54
If you decide to do it let me know a little in advance and I'll get you there.Once again, thank you, my friend. But once again my schedule slipped a little bit. Am now planning on starting the AL Pinhoti on March 18, leaving my vehicle at Cave Spring GA and getting a ride to Bull Gap.

I should finish the hike and be in Franklin by Friday Mar 30.

It all revolves around the Hiker Bash :D

Frosty
02-19-2007, 22:58
I assume these Feb18,2007 & Feb 19,2009 entries are made-up , since I can't find them on TJ.. Can u help me?I think he'll be back up in a couple weeks. It sounded like he was pretty cold. If he waits until March it will not only be warmer but there will be other hikers around. That makes a big difference to me. It's easy to get discouraged when you're both cold and alone.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm just amazed at how many people are starting so early this year, and how many are having trouble with the cold weather. If I ever had a thought of starting in February, it is gone now. Mid-March for me. 2008, that is.

Meantime, I'm loving trailjournals. Tom Brown (no trail name) has a good AT one going. And Skeeter on the FT.

Dogginfox
02-20-2007, 17:57
Yup, The entries from the 18th and 19th were mine.

I feel really stupid for how things turn out. on previous outings i have had little to no trouble in my hammock down into the mid teens so i thought the shelter would help alot. I am a warm sleeper and i still dont know why i was so cold, maybe it was the wind. Ill be back in march hopefully the weather will be on my side.

Fannypack
02-20-2007, 18:37

I feel really stupid for how things turn out. on previous outings i have had little to no trouble in my hammock down into the mid teens so i thought the shelter would help alot. I am a warm sleeper and i still dont know why i was so cold, maybe it was the wind. Ill be back in march hopefully the weather will be on my side.
good luck w/ your hike!

Frosty
02-20-2007, 19:49

I feel really stupid for how things turn out. on previous outings i have had little to no trouble in my hammock down into the mid teens so i thought the shelter would help alot. I am a warm sleeper and i still dont know why i was so cold, maybe it was the wind. Ill be back in march hopefully the weather will be on my side.Oh, man, don't feel bad. When it's cold, it's COLD.

There is a reason why most people start in March. Average temperatures are fine, but when you get a cold night, it's hard to function. And this year temps seem colder than normal. I'm sure you will do much better when you get back on the trail.

You will be surprised how much of a difference company makes, too. A lot of misery is lessened just by being around other people who are sharing the same misery.

If you are at the April Fools Hiker Bash in Franklin, look for me (I'll be the tall guy with a pork chop in each hand) and say Hi!

Let us know when you hit the trail again,

MrHappy
02-20-2007, 19:52
I came off trail, partly because of the cold but mostly the loneliness. I could have dealt with one or the other, but combined it was a force to be reckoned with. I'll be starting back at Fontana on March 2nd with Fly By (my Dad) and Domino (NOBO 06).

Frosty
02-20-2007, 19:53
Are people just not thinking and really have no idea what it's like out there?Well, us folk from up north think, "Hell, it's Georgia, that's only one state away from Florida with all those palm trees and aligators. Do I really need gloves?"

Besides, this year the weather seems a bit colder than normal, at least in Jan-Feb.

Some people are continuing on. If I were on the trail, I wouldn't be. I'd have gone home and would be waiting for March.

MrHappy
02-20-2007, 19:56
Also - I expected it to be cold in Georgia in January, but I didn't expect it to reach -10* F with 40 mph winds. I've been in that kind of weather before, and worse, but with a 60 lb pack loaded up with expensive winter gear provided by my school, and with 4 or 5 other people with whom to commiserate.

Frosty
02-20-2007, 19:56
I came off trail, partly because of the cold but mostly the loneliness. You guys have done me a terrific service. I was thinking about starting in 2008 in mid Feb with my 15* bag.

Ha ha.

Make that mid-March.

I agree with you about the lonliness. I'm not fond of trips of more than a couple nights when I'm alone. A lot more fun with someone to share the experience.

I think you will have a much better hike, and will be very glad you delayed.

MrHappy
02-20-2007, 23:28
I enjoy brief solo trips, say going out and setting up a tent on a remote lake and hanging out for a few days or something. It's meditative. But on a long distance hike it's monotonous. I was seeing people every few days, but they were just townspeople, and once I left, I left, and would meet a whole new group of strangers... no chance of building friendships, which is part of why I wanted to hike the trail. I'm going to miss Zero, who was my one real hiker buddy for this month, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to catch up to him once I get back out there.

Chef2000
02-21-2007, 09:16
In 2000 on Feb 29 i camped at the campground at the falls, I did not think it was that cold, finished approach trail to springer on March one. We had good weather for a week or so then it got cold, coldest night it dropped to about 15 degrees and all my filtered water froze plus my pump, which did not thaw out till i got to Carter Gap shelter(s). Only a few bad nights of rain/snow. I always sleep in a tent and carry a bag plus liner, it is heavier but nothing like a warm, dry tent and bag.

maxNcathy
02-21-2007, 09:28
A COLD night is a long night!

I chose a 10F down sleeping bag (Moonstone 800PCT) and have a down sweater as a backup so I hope this body will be warm enough at night.

When the nights are frosty I hope you remain toasty,

Sandalwood

saimyoji
02-21-2007, 09:39
Take a radio and tune in to CoasttoCoastAM: George Noory or Art Bell....that stuff will keep your heart pumping into the wee hours.

The Solemates
02-21-2007, 10:21
if youre gonna go that early, dont even think about doing it unless you have a good sleeping bag, preferably a 0-degree bag. it will certainly be below the 0 mark at some point. we started feb 1 with 0-degree bags. had snow all the way til SNP.

Ewker
02-21-2007, 10:23
Take a radio and tune in to CoasttoCoastAM: George Noory or Art Bell....that stuff will keep your heart pumping into the wee hours.

Is Art Bell back on? I quit listening when George Noory took over..he was terrible

Sly
02-21-2007, 10:49
There is a reason why most people start in March.

If there is, I'd like to know why? April seems to be the better month to start.

rafe
02-21-2007, 11:27
April starts are fine, but then you need to move a bit more swiftly toward Katahdin. With a later start, there's also the issue of traveling through the mid-Atlantic or southern New England in the worst of the summer heat...

Happy
02-21-2007, 11:50
If there is, I'd like to know why? April seems to be the better month to start.

Seven to ten years ago April 1st WAS the big start date going NOBO. but over the years people have started earlier and earlier so now March 1st to March 15th are the big start dates.

I live in Georgia and would not start before March 15th. However the earlier daylight savings time change will help this year in having more hiking time during the days.

Imager
02-21-2007, 14:19
The amount of time between sunup and sundown will be unchanged by moving the clocks.

the_iceman
02-21-2007, 14:34
Seven to ten years ago April 1st WAS the big start date going NOBO. but over the years people have started earlier and earlier so now March 1st to March 15th are the big start dates.

I live in Georgia and would not start before March 15th. However the earlier daylight savings time change will help this year in having more hiking time during the days.

Wow, I always knew the United States was the most powerful country in the world. Now that we control the sun no one will stop us. :D

The days remain the same. For every hour of day light you gain in the PM you lose in the AM. The sun moving back to the northern hemisphere is what will make the days longer. The sun could give a rats a## about what we set our clocks to.

Blissful
02-21-2007, 15:09
We're starting in March only so Paul B can get back in time for college. If I had my way, I'd start in April.

MrHappy
02-22-2007, 12:49
Actually, I'm pretty sure the sun could give a rats @$$ about moving. The earth rotates around it, and again doesn't give a $hit about what we set our clocks too.

Having only 10-11 hours of sunglight in January was
one of many other tribulations.

Frosty
02-22-2007, 14:44
However the earlier daylight savings time change will help this year in having more hiking time during the days.

Wow, I always knew the United States was the most powerful country in the world. Now that we control the sun no one will stop us. :D

The days remain the same. For every hour of day light you gain in the PM you lose in the AM. The sun moving back to the northern hemisphere is what will make the days longer. The sun could give a rats a## about what we set our clocks to.Actually, Happy is right. He didn't say more daylight, he said more hiking time. Extending daylight into the evening hours at the expense of early morning hours will almost always generate more hiking time, except for that rare bird who has breakfasted, packed up and started hiking before the sun comes up.

For most of us who tend to start hiking between 7:00 and 9:00 the extra hour of daylight in the evening equates to an extra hour of hiking time.

MrHappy
02-28-2007, 02:05
But Frosty, one would imagine that calling it 7:00 or 8:00 wouldn't matter to your biological clock out in the wilderness. I wake up when the sunrises and hike until it sets... I guess if you wake up to an alarm or at the same time every day, then your point is valid. It's a different situation for each of us I suppose.

sloopjonboswell
02-28-2007, 09:55
so much left to do. so ready to get it on! i'll be taking it pretty slow the first week, 7-10 mile days i hope. speed up when i can. see ya out there.

MoodyBluer
03-01-2007, 18:42
I also like to vicariously hike the trail with some of the more entertaining trail journal folks until I can get out there and resume my sectioning in May...each year I like to "handicap" the trail journal folks and wonder who's going to make it and those not....one to watch this year is Hobbit, who started 2/1 and is now in Erwin...good pace and he said he took a few zeros. Also a fitness buff (or someone who's just fit :-) named Woodstock is attempting the whole enchilada in 110 days...looks like it took him 3 days to get to Dicks Creek Gap...serious pace :eek:. Says he's a marathon runner and I wish him the best but I smell an injury coming at that pace. Hope not but I also wonder how he will enjoy himself with his head down hiking at such a furious pace. Hey, for some folks it's not the beauty of the trail but the athletic challenge, which I do understand.

Happy
03-01-2007, 20:21
The amount of time between sunup and sundown will be unchanged by moving the clocks.

Starting in the dark is not a problem as people usually WANT to clear the spider webs and dew and watch the sun rise...staying in the bag for 11-12 hours is the Problem!:D :D

Blissful
03-01-2007, 20:34
I heard daylight savings time is earlier this year - March 11 or something like that. (?) So more daylight!

Bravo
03-01-2007, 20:48
I heard daylight savings time is earlier this year - March 11 or something like that. (?) So more daylight!

I love ya Blissful but I gotta correct you. Daylight is daylight whether you've got a watch or not. The amount of daylight on the trail has nothing to do with daylight savings.

Frosty
03-01-2007, 20:55
I love ya Blissful but I gotta correct you. Daylight is daylight whether you've got a watch or not. The amount of daylight on the trail has nothing to do with daylight savings.People are referring to more usable daylight, I believe. For those who get up at dawn and hike until dusk, it doesn't matter. For those who get up at eight or nine o'clock, having the sun set at six o'clock instead of five o'clock gives them an extra hour of usable daylight. Not a big deal.

MoodyBluer
03-01-2007, 20:59
I love ya Blissful but I gotta correct you. Daylight is daylight whether you've got a watch or not. The amount of daylight on the trail has nothing to do with daylight savings.

You're technically correct about this but I think being technically right is not what folks mean when they say things like "extra daylight"...they're just refering to that extra hour or so of daylight they "percieve" is there because where they might have stopped hiking at 8pm when it's dark now they will continue to hike until dark at 9pm. Remember when we were kids and got excited when Daylight Savings rolled around and we got what we thought was an extra hour of daylight to play in?

Same thing.

Bravo
03-01-2007, 20:59
People are referring to more usable daylight, I believe. For those who get up at dawn and hike until dusk, it doesn't matter. For those who get up at eight or nine o'clock, having the sun set at six o'clock instead of five o'clock gives them an extra hour of usable daylight. Not a big deal.

I understand AND usable daylight is usable daylight. End of story.

mindi
03-02-2007, 13:09
Art Bell is back?! I may have to take my radio after all and hope for some reception. My dad and I used to listen to him when we went camping..good memories. I remember one night in particular when some woman was talking about finding a porcupine flattened in a crop circle..then she kept interjecting the whole evening with 'What about the porcupine!?!'. Hysterical night-long laughter.

Glad I'm starting in March, I think the combination of loneliness/freezing cold would get to me, too.