PDA

View Full Version : Post your summer hiking clothes.

Earl Grey
02-09-2007, 13:26
I know I know you want go to nekkid but I dont think they allow that. :-?

So what are you taking when its 80-90 degrees out there and 60 somethin at night this summer? Im trying to get ideas about what to take. Gonna take the precip jacket for sure but besides that I dont know.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-09-2007, 13:50
Tights, skirt, sports bra that can be worn as a top, long-sleeve lightweight top, smartwool socks, trailrunners (or boot as close to those as I can find), unlined nylon pants and top.

highway
02-09-2007, 14:06
I wear the same every trip/three season:

On my trunk, 1 capilene tank then 1 capilene Tee, then a RailRider eco-mesh thin nylon shirt, then Marmot driclime windshirt. But now, i am replacing the Marmot shirt with 1 Buffalo activity shirt instead of the driclime windshirt. It has a hood. Thats it for the top. Nothing else

Bottom is 1 pair tight underwear with 6" legs like asics or underamour then a pair of RailRider Sawtooth shorts. I have been wearing the same shorts for over 3 years now and they still look as new as when i bought them

Feet- Socks 2 pr liners, 2 pair Smartwool low tops, shoes Teva Wraptor sandals; no 'camp' shoes.

Raingear is an ID poncho.

Thats all the clothes I take. No 'town' clothes. No long underweaf. If its hot I strip down to just tank and shorts. If cold i wear everything. I sleep in the same clothes I wear hiking. My bag is a FF 35F Wren.

I start the AT towards the end of April and thats all I'll carry for clothing.

MarcnNJ
02-09-2007, 14:07
2 pairs of socks....convertible pants....athletic shorts for town.....biker shorts for underneath.....1 shortsleeve hiking shirt....1 cotton shirt for town/camp.....no rain jacket..no rain pants......just a bucket hat

hammock engineer
02-09-2007, 14:07
nylon swim trunks sans lining
3 pairs socks (one for sleeping)
smartwool short sleeve
smartwool long sleeve
100 wt fleece or something to insulate
nylon shorts for sleeping
rain coat
rain pants

Jaybird
02-09-2007, 14:15
I know I know you want go to nekkid but I dont think they allow that. :-?
So what are you taking when its 80-90 degrees out there and 60 somethin at night this summer? Im trying to get ideas about what to take. Gonna take the precip jacket for sure but besides that I dont know.

mesh shorts & capilene short sleeve shirt!

what else do you need???:D

Michele
02-09-2007, 14:41
I think I'll end up with:

Camisole/bra (which could also work as a bathing suit top or extra shirt)
S.S. shirt
L.S. shirt
Spandex shorts (undies/chaf prevention/swim trunks)
Convertible Pants
Rain jacket (Frogg Togg)--(will send pants home)

maybe nylon shorts (for only sleeping), cotton tank top (for only sleeping)--not sure yet about this

maybe hang onto my thermals (I'm a VERY cold sleeper)--will mail home after I prove I don't need them

I'm going to play this all by ear, but this is what I'm thinking so far

The Solemates
02-09-2007, 15:12
For temps that warm...

Wearing:
shorts with built-in mesh liner
wicking tee
low cut socks
trail runners
bandana

In pack:
lightweight rain jacket

That's it.

If I get chilly at night I either put my rain jacket on, or crawl into my sleeping bag.

Blissful
02-09-2007, 15:25
I really think the list also depends on where you plan to be trail wise. If you are in the mid Atlantic region, yeah - shorts and a shirt are probably enough (though with salt on your skin from humid hiking, you can still get a little chilly at night in the mtns). If you are in the mtns of the Northeast and New England, you can get a few days where it's hot and then get a cold front move in that drops temps to the high forties at night (I'm orginally from the Catskills in NY). So I'd be prepared for some chilly weather too. Zip off nylon pants seem logical to me. And at least some kind of insulating layer or jacket.

hopefulhiker
02-09-2007, 15:55
trail runners,
short gaitors,
3 pair of lite hiker thorlo socks,
1 unlined pair of nylon shorts,
2 underarmor type shorts,
1 poly t shirt,
2 bandanas,
cap with detachable ear skirt.. Outdoor Research
frog togg rain jacket,

ScottP
02-09-2007, 17:32
3 pairs of socks
kilt
windbreaker
fleece hat

the_iceman
02-09-2007, 17:35
Wait - We need to wear clothes???????????????? :D

scope
02-09-2007, 18:40
I really do not see the need for 'rain protection' at these temperatures. Perhaps below 60, but if you're talking GA in the summer, or similar, you'll get wet either by rain or by sweating in the jacket/pants. Getting wet via rain is much more refreshing!

Having a change of dry clothes to put on is a necessity. I also take a fleece pullover for warmth because it will be cool when you stop hiking. Otherwise, I agree with Jaybird.

bigcranky
02-09-2007, 19:06
Wear:
nylon shorts with liner (Golite Terrain shorts)
wicking t-shirt, the lightest I can find
trail runners, 1/4 height coolmax socks
nylon ball cap

Carry:
3-oz wind shirt
wide-brimmed rain hat for serious downpours
shorts and t-shirt so I can change into dry clothes for comfort at night
another pair of coolmax socks

4eyedbuzzard
02-09-2007, 22:15
If you are in the mtns of the Northeast and New England, you can get a few days where it's hot and then get a cold front move in that drops temps to the high forties at night...

Actually, overnight lows can get into the 30's on the AT in NH, even in July. High 40's is pretty commonplace.

Almost There
02-09-2007, 23:08
Patagonia Airus Zip Tank
Mountain Hardware Mountain Kilt
Patagonia lightweight ankle socks
Salomon XA Comp 3D Trailrunners
Patagonia Boxer Briefs
Widebrim hat...great for sun and rain!!!
Marmot Driclime Windjacket
Extras:
1 extra patagonia zip tank
Dry wicking tshirt
1 pair nylon shorts
1 extra underwear
1 extra socks

Screw the raingear...sweat too much in them. If it gets too cold at night...go to bed!!!

Wohelo
02-10-2007, 22:39
My clothing will most likely not change at all since I'm starting in May, but I might start out with a pair of fleece pants early on and then send them home. I like to have clean, dry clothes to change into at the end of the day.

I'll be wearing:
hiking skirt + undies + tights
long sleeve wicking t-shirt + bra/tank underneath (will take off top layer if too warm)
socks + liners
wide brimmed hat (north face)

I will be carrying:
extra undies + tank for sleeping
extra pair of socks and liners
Moonstone softshell tech fleece (insulating, wind and water resistent AND it will make a nice pillow)
poncho + gaiters (this is my rain gear)

-wohelo