PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Overnite Options

Jeff
07-22-2003, 08:00
What are the pros and cons between the Hike Inn and Fontana Inn?? Is there a resupply store near either of these facilities??

MOWGLI
07-22-2003, 08:16
I stayed at both places in 2000.

The owners of the Hike Inn are very friendly and can probably shuttle you for resupply in Robbinsville. They are also dog friendly.

I liked the rooms at Fontana better, but resupply is limited. There is a post office at Fontana, so you can send yourself resupply. They also have an AYCE buffet, or at least they did in 2000. I imagine not much has changed at Fontana. That seems to be the attraction (not changing). Fontana is also closer to the trail.

Lone Wolf
07-22-2003, 08:31
You usually need reservations at The Inn, Fontana you don't. Fontana is also cheaper with much bigger rooms with phones and t.v. and a.c.

manzana
07-22-2003, 09:15
I posted yesterday about the risks of relying on any phone service from Fontana. However, if you are northbound there is full-strength cell service from Walker Gap, about 4 miles south of the Dam. Reliability varies radically from full-blast to nill as you walk in this area. So turn your phone on and get your shuttle arranged before you drop down from the ridge! (I have Verizon)

Have fun! manzana

gravityman
07-22-2003, 10:20
I also remember a pay phone 1 mile before the dam, going north. It had the number of the Fontana Inn shuttle posted next to it.

We took a zero at the Hike Inn. I think next time we will go to Fontana. Nothing against the Hike Inn, but you have to be on their schedule with going to town, etc. We prefer to send a mail drop to Fontana and take our time...

Gravity Man

manzana
07-22-2003, 10:57
You must be talking about the little marina. The trail drops down to a marina/park giving you the sense that you have arrived. However it heads back up over a hill and levels off and then goes up even higher. 8-) (Northbound) manzana

MOWGLI
07-22-2003, 11:02
It should be an easy hitch at the road crossing by Fontana Dam. I arrived at 9 PM in late March, so it was pitch black. The folks at Fontana Village couldn't have been nicer. A cop radioed to the Village, they sent a van to pick me & Papa Bob up, and held open the AYCE buffet for us.

manzana
07-22-2003, 14:36
I just got a nice call from TVA. They said they were sorry about my unfortunate experience and they are going to investigate. Pretty cool!

manzana

tlbj6142
07-23-2003, 10:17
Originally posted by manzana
I just got a nice call from TVA.Did you call them? Or do they read this board?

ga>me>ak
07-23-2003, 10:35
Exactly where is the Fontana Inn, at Fontana Village or by the Dam? Looked on past threads but didn't see this.

MOWGLI
07-23-2003, 10:53
Fontana Inn is at the Fontana Village. As you hit the road crossing (heading NOBO) Fontana Village is about 2 miles to the left. The road is HWY 28.. It's approximately 1.5 miles from HWY 28 to the dam walking NOBO on the AT. As I recall, The Hike Inn is about 8 miles to the right on HWY 28.

manzana
07-23-2003, 13:58
I got a call from TVA after I wrote an email to the address on their webpage.

Joel Rash
07-24-2003, 21:26
We came through in 2001 and one caveat is that if you send a mail drop to the Hike Inn and don't stay there the guy will charge a whopping $10 to let you get it. I understand they need to make a living, but that seemed a bit steep.

Youngblood
07-25-2003, 08:01
Originally posted by Joel Rash
We came through in 2001 and one caveat is that if you send a mail drop to the Hike Inn and don't stay there the guy will charge a whopping $10 to let you get it. I understand they need to make a living, but that seemed a bit steep.

My guess is that since there are limited resupply options before entering the Smokys, that they tend to get overloaded with maildrops for thru-hikers. This may just be the best way they know to handle the extra work and storage area required. Me, I resupplied at Wesser and Gatlingburg because I didn't want to use maildrops for food resupplies. Most people are advised to send a maildrop to Fontana and then resupply once they get through the Smokys.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
07-25-2003, 11:57