PDA

View Full Version : Keeping water out of your pack

farmermv
02-09-2007, 15:08
Newbie here. Do most of you use individual waterproof stuff sacks or one large one lining the inside of the entire pack to make it waterproof? Thanks

MarcnNJ
02-09-2007, 15:25
I used these....Sea to Summit USA - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7)

One for clothing, one for foodbag, one for sleeping bag

hopefulhiker
02-09-2007, 15:42
I have used zip locks, oven bags, and trash bags to keep stuff dry... also Luxury lite pack cylinders are waterproof..

rswanson
02-09-2007, 18:59
Boy did you open up a can of worms! Do some searches and you'll get 1000 best answers. My vote: trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Cheapest, lightest, simplest, most readily available.

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 19:06
rswanson's right about the many opinions. I like my stuff dry. I use a contractor bag for a liner (big, sturdy), a pack cover, and then I even use gallon ziplocks for things I need to keep dry, like my journal, toilet paper, and the incredibly useful journal/toilet paper.

dloome
02-09-2007, 21:10
Compactor bag as pack liner. Works better than anything. I also use a seam sealed stuff sack for my sleeping bag. Backpackinglight.com sells some pack liners too, basically the same thing. A liner will protect those items inside your main pack compartment extremely well, but if your pack has external pockets make sure you protect those items in them as well. For small items I like the Aloksacks also sold at BPL. It's like a ziplock but submersible to 200', and extremely durable, lasts for years.

And yes, it IS a big deal if your stuff gets wet, potentially extremely dangerous. DON'T let your stuff get wet.

Blue Jay
02-09-2007, 21:21
I use a kayak bag as a pack on an old long bed external frame. It floats so you can swim with it.

mweinstone
02-09-2007, 22:24
my megalight is a pyramid tent. so i turn it upsidedown and put it in my pack and stuff crap that needs to be dry in it. packcover by golite does the rest.my only sac is a sea to summitt for food.our cloths are warm when wet. food is hatefull when wet.

Stonewall
02-09-2007, 23:20
Speaking of keeping things dry how well do the GRANITE GEAR Air Compression Sack's keep things dry? They say they are water resistent.?

oldfivetango
02-10-2007, 09:52
I don't use anything. it's not the end of te world if your stuff gets a little wet.

.....unless it's your feathers.Nobody loves a wet blanket (unless they
are on fire,maybe).I love compactor bags.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

firefly
02-10-2007, 10:33
Also consider what conditions you are hiking in & what type of gear you use. I hike in the southeast. I have to deal with rain and the occasional fall while crossing rivers. I use a tent instead of a tarp which means I might have to unpack and packup in the rain. I use a ultralight backpack that does not soak up water so I do not need a pack cover. My pack does not have seperate pockets (except on the outside). I use the Sea2Summitt bags...one for my clothes..one for my bag. This works great for me. For years I used trash bags without any problems...I did not switch until the Sea2Summitt bags came out.

Footslogger
02-10-2007, 13:17
Boy did you open up a can of worms! Do some searches and you'll get 1000 best answers. My vote: trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Cheapest, lightest, simplest, most readily available.

==============================

Second vote for the plastic trash compactor bag. Used one fom Springer to Katahdin in 2003 (the rainy year) and never had a problem with wet gear/clothing.

'Slogger

saimyoji
02-10-2007, 13:58
If you don't want it to get wet, don't put water in it. :-?

There are other options for your Platy: on top of, outside the pack, vent the sleeve....Or just trust it. Oh, and some of the stuff other people have said here might be helpful.

hammock engineer
02-10-2007, 14:38
Another vote for the seatosummit ultra sil bags. I use one for my food, clothes, and some my bag. I have had my food bag in the rain all night, no problems.

I am pretty strange and use that and another layer of protection from the rain.

superman
02-10-2007, 16:28
Garbage bag Inside and everything is loaded into it. I use the best ply garbage bag the store has. I don't use a compression sack for my down sleeping bag; I use a second trash bag. I use plastic grocery bags for everything else. I've also used a garbage bag for a pack cover, rain coat/rain hat. This also protects my stuff from my copious amounts of reverse rain (sweat).

Stonewall
02-10-2007, 16:55
What size Sea to Summit bags do you guy/gals use?

GlazeDog
02-11-2007, 11:06
I use Sea to Summit ultra-sil dry bags. Sizes, hmmm? xxxs-first aid/ditty bag, sm/med clothes, med food, med/lg sleeping bag. The larger size for the sleeping bag allows expansion as pack contents decrease between towns. Also: Sea to Summit makes a very light weight breathable stuff sack that I got just big enought to fit my stove/pot setup.

GlazeDog

neo
02-11-2007, 15:02
Newbie here. Do most of you use individual waterproof stuff sacks or one large one lining the inside of the entire pack to make it waterproof? Thanks

a heavy duty trash bag make a great cheap liner:cool: neo

GlazeDog
02-12-2007, 09:25
I used to use a 3 mil trash bag-worked great, very durable. Most store trash bags are around .9 mil to 1.3 mil. I got these thicker ones at Wal-Mart, but I bet Home Depot and the like has them. I had problems only one time with the 3 mil trash bag just around Franklin. I got a bad feeling during a rain storm in 39F temps. I decided to go into town, even though my group was going ahead. When I got in town my stuff was soaked--the temp went below freezing that night. Hypothermia averted. I switched to waterproof stuff sacks.

GlazeDog

highway
02-12-2007, 10:31
Keeping water out of your pack?

Organize gear in different silnylon bags-cheap. ultralight, watertight.

But, also consider water inside the pack and make sure that, once in, it has a way to get out-if the pack design is such that it can accumulate on the bottom.. If it doesn't have drain holes, consider making some.

Jester2000
02-13-2007, 19:51
I used to use a 3 mil trash bag-worked great, very durable. Most store trash bags are around .9 mil to 1.3 mil. I got these thicker ones at Wal-Mart, but I bet Home Depot and the like has them. GlazeDog

What you're writing about are contractor bags, which I mentioned in a previous post (NOT to be confused with "compactor bags" that others have mentioned). They are larger than regular lawn/leaf bags and are at least 1.5 mil, usually 3 mil as you mentioned. Work great.

Hana_Hanger
02-13-2007, 20:17
Question asked earlier was:
What size do you use on the Sea to Summit Bags?

I use 2 liter 4 liter and 8 liter
I love those bags especially the newer ones the sil-nylon ones.
The 2 is for my camera, batteries, mp3 player, cash etc...
The 4 has all my sleep clothes and sleep liner, gloves, hat, socks
The 8 has my tent, sleeping bag, jacket