PDA

View Full Version : Boots or Shoes

hiker_sue
02-09-2007, 15:18
Hi

I don't want to start another debate but I'm trying to decide which boots or shoes I should hike in and I was looking for some advise. My pack weight should be around 30 pounds and I don’t have any foot/heal problems.

In general what's the max pack weight to hike in running shoes?

I'm starting at Springer on March 15th and I have the option of wearing Vasque Sundowners, Asolo FSN 85, or New Balance Running Shoes.

I hiked the trail from Springer to Fontana in my Vasque's without any blisters so I know they will work. I've also done some hiking in my Asolo's without any problems but have never worn them on anything longer than a weekend trip so not sure if they will work on the AT. I've never tried hiking in running shoes, only run a marathon in them without any blister issues.

I'm tempted to try out the running shoes but don't really want to screw up my feet in the first few days. I would love to try hiking in running shoes before I start the trail but it's freaking cold here in Manitoba and we don't have the hills like in Georgia. Oh and there's about 2 feet of snow.

Thanks in advance for you advise.

Phil1959
02-09-2007, 15:47
I too have gone around and around on this issue,and ended up buying light weight vasque boots.I have skinny feet with good arches and the vasque boots I got are narrow.I cannot help but think,the lightweight boots of today make more sense with 30 llbs on your back.I too am willing to listen to the pros of shoes and am thinking bout wearing them half way.Possibly having everyone tell me I am wrong and bringing them both,since my pack weight is less than 20.That way,less wet days and will prevent blisters from the boots,never gone so far so not sure how my feet will react.Do not mind me,I am gonna be the one watching the sunset with me feet feeling good,sucking down a bottle of wine instead of sleeping in a motel after town!

hopefulhiker
02-09-2007, 16:05
I started out with the Vasque Sundowners and switched to the Montrail HardRocks... I do not regret it.. Was very skeptical at first but was much happier after the switch...

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 18:49
Some things to think about when selecting footwear:

1)We all know that if your feet are unhappy, you are unhappy.
2)Boots will give better support, but are heavier and so increase FSO weight in the worst place possible -- the part you'll be lifting over and over again.
3)Boots will last longer. You might go through two pairs of boots on a thru-hike, but will most likely go through 3-4 pair of sneakers.
4)Nikwaxed boots used in conjuntion with gaiters will keep your feet drier for longer (less blistering from feet sliding around), but once they do get soaked it will take them longer to dry than running shoes.
5)Boots will better protect your feet and ankles from twigs and rocks, but perhaps you will tread lighter in running shoes, not clomping around, and so need less protection.

Most people I know who use trail runners rather than boots have packs in the 20-30 lb. range, so you're on the upper limit of that.

My pack is too heavy to not use boots.

You might also want to consider starting with boots (which will be warmer and dryer and more supportive) and then switching to running shoes in the summer. You could then switch back to boots for New Hampshire and Maine.

Just a thought. Good luck on your hike (not long now. . .)!

T-Dubs
02-09-2007, 20:29
I started out with the Vasque Sundowners and switched to the Montrail HardRocks... I do not regret it.. Was very skeptical at first but was much happier after the switch...

Thanks for that information/recommendation. One of the first things I look for in a post is the 'age'. Feet at 50 are a whole different animal than those in their 20s.

Tom

Blissful
02-09-2007, 20:34
Thanks for that information/recommendation. One of the first things I look for in a post is the 'age'. Feet at 50 are a whole different animal than those in their 20s.

Tom

You got that right!
I ended up with the happy medium - Solomon canyon GTX that are lightweight at 14 0z but give more support than a trail runner as they come over the ankle. Love mine.