PDA

View Full Version : The whole "dry county" thing along the south half of the trail

norub
02-09-2007, 19:25
So a hiker starts out from Springer, enjoying his hike, but also looking forward to town rests for some rewarding food and drink as well. At the end of the first 30 miles, he descends Blood Mountain into Neels Gap and is happily anticipating a hot shower and a cold beer.

Rude awakening: the very first stop on the trail where a guy might want a celebratory cold one is in a dry county. No beer, no wine, no liquor. No kidding. Not even in restaurants. There is a convenience store down the road called The Booger. Fuhgetabboutit. The guy who picks you up to take you to Goose Creek where you can rent a nice cabin is sweet. And has bible verses painted all over his van. And he frowns when asked to shuttle anyone to the neighboring non-dry country for beverages. Be glad to take ya to the Booger tho!

Of course, anyone who doesn't drink wouldn't care a whit about any of that. But I imagine there has been many a parched soul who wasn't expecting this peculiar aspect of southern hospitality upon entering the first few trail towns down there.

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 19:37
Hey, thems the rules. Which is why it don't hurt to carry a bit of your own. And you want to talk peculiar -- talk about PA's bizarre laws regarding acquiring alcohol.

Sly
02-09-2007, 19:38
BYOB?

Helen is only another 20 miles drink twice as much

norub
02-09-2007, 19:50
Hey, thems the rules. Which is why it don't hurt to carry a bit of your own. And you want to talk peculiar -- talk about PA's bizarre laws regarding acquiring alcohol.

They do that whole silly package store thing, right? You can't buy beer at the gas station or supermarket. Gotta go to special beverage dealers. Or, you can buy beer to go at any bar. What? Beer to go? What?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 19:54
So a hiker starts out from Springer, enjoying his hike, but also looking forward to town rests for some rewarding food and drink as well. At the end of the first 30 miles, he descends Blood Mountain into Neels Gap and is happily anticipating a hot shower and a cold beer.

Rude awakening: the very first stop on the trail where a guy might want a celebratory cold one is in a dry county. No beer, no wine, no liquor. No kidding. Not even in restaurants. There is a convenience store down the road called The Booger. Fuhgetabboutit. The guy who picks you up to take you to Goose Creek where you can rent a nice cabin is sweet. And has bible verses painted all over his van. And he frowns when asked to shuttle anyone to the neighboring non-dry country for beverages. Be glad to take ya to the Booger tho!

Of course, anyone who doesn't drink wouldn't care a whit about any of that. But I imagine there has been many a parched soul who wasn't expecting this peculiar aspect of southern hospitality upon entering the first few trail towns down there.

every town after neel gap has alcohol

norub
02-09-2007, 19:58
How about Erwin..on a Sunday? :-?

Fannypack
02-09-2007, 20:00
i believe someone has a drinking problem....
or
if drinking alcohol is important, people will do whatever it takes to get it... right Jack?

hitch, taxi, pay for shuttle, or walk/hike to get it...

in the off trail world what would u do if u didn't have transportation to get to an establishment selling alcohol???

with a little planning this "situation" can be remedied, don'y ya think?

Jim Adams
02-09-2007, 20:13
My drinking team has a hiking problem because drinking is a great sport!
geek

khaynie
02-09-2007, 20:22

No where in the guidebook does it mention you can't get a deuce deuce, six pack, etc at a conveinent or grocery store in the lovely state of PA. You can only buy six, 12, packs, etc at bars. Before this, I had never heard of such a law.

Here is how I remember discovering this piece of inconveinient legislature:

I vividly remember Samoa and me walking into Wind Gap, PA for a resupply/rest. After we checked into a cheap hotel, I hiked over to a gas station to get some Yuengling's. Once I entered the store, I got a hollow feeling. The clerk told me you can get buy booze in conv't stores nor gorcery stores in PA. (for some reason he knew I wasn't a local) He said the only places you could buy booze were at a liquor stores or taverns.

By this point, I wasn't going to be denied, so I hike over to a liquor store. Upon entering, I saw walls of cases:::ahhh, this was it I thought to myself. Wrong. The owner told me he/PA only sells by the case. If I wanted a six pack, I was going to have to go to a bar.

Damn. I'd been hiking all day, and I was tired of hiking, but determined nonetheless. Now granted the total amt of a case was cheap, but we weren't aiming to get sloshed. All we wanted was to drink a little nectar of the God's after a rough and hot day over PA rocks...a treat Samoa and I'd been thinking of since Gyp's tavern.

After describing my predicament, which I'm sure has been described countless times before, to the liquor store owner, he secretly gave me a couple for the road.

Moral of the story: There is no moral of the story. Just add this tid-bit in your guidebook as an FYI.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 20:28
How about Erwin..on a Sunday? :-?

they still have it. tough s**t for you that you arrived on a sunday. sounds like you like drinking more than hiking.

4eyedbuzzard
02-09-2007, 21:02
Do they have O'Douls or other non alcoholic beers? Everclear weighs less than a pound per pint(.82 lb/pint w/o container/flask). There is 1/2 an ounce of pure alcohol in a 12 oz beer. A add 1/2 ounce of Everclear from your pack to an O'Douls and get on with it.

RAT
02-09-2007, 21:27
How about Erwin..on a Sunday?

After church at noon, sure. if not get someone to go to those secret places for you.

RAT

mweinstone
02-09-2007, 21:39
i dont wanna drink in dry countys anyway. its not fun. sneeking around with a wine in a bag. and then returning to the bluberry patch drunk. not fun at too much cost of breaking the rules. im gonna wait till its easy and fun.still working on my" carry still"

RAT
02-09-2007, 21:52
sounds like you like drinking more than hiking.

Sounds like your kinda people Wolf ;)

LOL

RAT

Jim Adams
02-09-2007, 22:00
Sounds like your kinda people Wolf ;)

LOL

RAT

:sun They do sound like MY kinda people!
geek

galaleemc
02-09-2007, 22:23

Only beer and wine and never on Sundays - not even in restaurants.

Gotta go 20 miles to get alcohol.:eek:

Big politics about it around here.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 22:25
Only beer and wine and never on Sundays - not even in restaurants.

Gotta go 20 miles to get alcohol.:eek:

Big politics about it around here.

by alcohol i meant beer. y'all gotta move more catholic floridians up there to out number the baptists. get it voted in.

buckowens
02-10-2007, 00:06
If you get to Harpers Ferry on a Sunday, in WV you can't buy beer before 1300 hours.

magic_game03
02-10-2007, 00:16
you PBR-guzzleing wino whiners got it easy, us smokers got 14 dam dry "green" states to contend with.

TwoForty
02-10-2007, 02:51
Welcome to the land of legislative morality.
They make jack daniels in a dry county too. They'll profit from it, but they don't want it in their community.

RAT
02-10-2007, 03:14
us smokers got 14 dam dry "green" states to contend with.

Obviously you dont have connections ;) I can get it in any state :) lol

RAT

Buckles
02-10-2007, 03:26
After my upcoming hike, my intention is to leave Georgia for parts presently unknown. A criteria for my future residence will Sunday beer, wine and liquor sales. On Sundays in the South, it's pathetic to see the entire beer aisle in the supermarket blacked out and the local package store locked down. It's Christian Right's lame attempt to inflict their moral doctrine upon us. I say buy twice the alcohol you need on Saturdays and throw all your empties on the front lawn of churches!

RAT
02-10-2007, 03:40
Just certain churches tho, not all fall into that category ;) lol

Sacrifices of living in the bible belt.

RAT

Buckles
02-10-2007, 03:52
Just certain churches tho, not all fall into that category ;) lol

RAT

You're right. Just the churches that practice religion. Don't want to confuse them with the ones practicing politics or operating like a corporation.

spittinpigeon
02-10-2007, 06:42

Robbinsville is dry, which by the way wasn't in my '05 companion, and the "FOOT" said it was unpopular with hikers, but it's only like 6-7 miles off of Stecoa Gap, busy road=easy hitch. Something is amiss there. Anyone care to explain? Could it possibly be because (even as rocking as the El Pacifico restaurant is) this town blows, solely because of the lack of alcohol?
Is everyone waiting for the HikeInn to get Robbinsvilled?
Personally, I didn't like the HikeInn before I even got there just by reading about it, and then my intuition proved correct when they snubbed us twice.

Fannypack
02-10-2007, 07:50
Robbinsville is dry, which by the way wasn't in my '05 companion, and the "FOOT" said it was unpopular with hikers, but it's only like 6-7 miles off of Stecoa Gap, busy road=easy hitch. Something is amiss there. Anyone care to explain? Could it possibly be because (even as rocking as the El Pacifico restaurant is) this town blows, solely because of the lack of alcohol?
Personally, I didn't like the HikeInn before I even got there just by reading about it, and then my intuition proved correct when they snubbed us twice.
If u feel Robbinsville should be (is worth being) in the Campanion, do a write-up of its facilities and send to the Campanion editor and ask for it to be added or ask the field editor to do a write-up for it. Since it does have a "large grocery store" it could be used for resupply instead of Fontana Village store or PO. Good suggestion.

pls explain "they snubbed us twice"....

bigcranky
02-10-2007, 10:25
I have had nothing but great experiences at The Hike Inn. Jeff and Nancy are good people, love hikers, and go out of their way to help when necessary. They are full of good information about the Trail and other hikers. The Inn itself is small, and rather elderly, but it's clean. I have used their facilities and shuttle services 5 or 6 times in the last three years, and would highly recommend them. (Usual disclaimer -- I'm just a happy customer.)

Now Robbinsville, on the other hand, is just a small mountain town. They have a pretty good grocery store, and a couple of little restaurants, but it ain't New York. Or even Damascus. It's pretty easy to hitch in from Stecoah Gap, and the grocery store and a drug store are right there on the main road when you arrive in town, making it easy to hitch back out. I don't think they see a lot of hikers in Robbinsville, though.

Getting back to the original intent of this thread, I like my cold beer, but I don't worry when it's not available. I'll just have one at the next town that sells it.

Rain Man
02-10-2007, 11:05
Getting back to the original intent of this thread, I like my cold beer, but I don't worry when it's not available. I'll just have one at the next town that sells it.

Yeah, if occasionally not having a beer ruins anybody's hiking day, they've got a problem.

Rain:sunMan

superman
02-10-2007, 11:23
It didn't bother me when I found out that I couldn’t get alcohol in the early part of the trail. How ever on one cold evening in the Smokies someone gave me one of those little sample size bottles of cheap whiskey. It definitely hit the spot and it was the best whiskey in the world that night. Later on when I could easily buy beer I would buy a six pack. I would drink two beers and fall asleep. The next morning I would give away four beers to the first thru hiker I saw as I was returning to the AT. I didn't regain my ability to drink a whole six pack without going to sleep didn't return until I got back to New England (praise the lord).

veteran
02-10-2007, 11:31
Check this thread, good info.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19526&highlight=fontana+village

Sly
02-10-2007, 12:54

I'm still trying to figure out the advantages of living in the bible belt. :-?

max patch
02-10-2007, 13:03
. A criteria for my future residence will Sunday beer, wine and liquor sales.

Sounds like you have a problem.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2007, 13:05

Hardly anybody goes to Robbinsville because they've just left the NOC and will be in Fontana in a day or so.

Bravo
02-10-2007, 13:06

Do you have a problem with sex if you enjoy it on Sunday???:-?

saimyoji
02-10-2007, 13:31
Do you have a problem with sex if you enjoy it on Sunday???:-?

Only if you don't remove your bible belt first. :rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2007, 13:40

There is no advantage unless being around those of similar beliefs(not your belief itself) is the most important thing in your life.

norub
02-10-2007, 15:00

Sounds like somebody missed her AA meeting this week. :rolleyes:

Chef2000
02-10-2007, 16:17
Hey Jester same thing happened to me in PA almost the same way you described it, except I bought the case. at my cheap motel were some construction guys stayin, who had been w paving roads all day, i gave them most of the case. Trail magic and they didnt even know it

Jester2000
02-10-2007, 16:32
i believe someone has a drinking problem....
or
if drinking alcohol is important, people will do whatever it takes to get it... right Jack?

I wasn't aware Jack had posted on this thread. . .

Hey Jester same thing happened to me in PA almost the same way you described it, except I bought the case. at my cheap motel were some construction guys stayin, who had been w paving roads all day, i gave them most of the case. Trail magic and they didnt even know it

I actually live in PA, and so am well aware of our weird attitude towards alcohol. For those of you unaware, PA just passed a law allowing beer distributors to be open on Sundays, but most of them have limited hours. You can still only buy by the case at these, though. Anything less & you have to go to a bar or, strangely, some pizza shops.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2007, 16:35
Thanx Jester, that was sort of a cheap shot from Mr. Fanny, not his first.

Didn't seem worth commenting on at the time, but thanx anyway! :D

Bravo
02-10-2007, 16:35
Leaving PA was one of the greatest things I ever did. Now I'm an 8 day a week alky.:D

Chef2000
02-10-2007, 16:37
Oh yeah, and Robbinsville rep with hikers goes back to the 1990's. Short story...Folks in the area didnot like hikers, they burned at least the woods around stecoah gap, in 2000 you could still see remnants of fire. In robbinsville, which was run by a very corrupt county government basically forever, they resented the "Federal Government intereferance " They had been taken land since the days of the BIg DAM we all walk over, anybody stop to think about all the families displaced by that.

Anyhow, the story goes, a hiker went into Robbinsville, on the same day that a brand new sidewalk had been built. This hiker decided to write, among other things in the fresh cement ,AT, he was caught and arrested and spent the night in jail. This added to Robbinsville already jaded attitude toward the AT.

My own experience with robbinsville in 2000 included advances by a registered sex offender, trip to local bootlegger and a one hour kidnapping by Cherokees.

It was only by the fact that Jeff and Nancy were looking for me the whole time, calling authorities when they did not find me, etc. That i made it out of there in one peice

Chef2000
02-10-2007, 16:39
sorry meant the post from kaymie not jester, on the PA alchohol story.

Jester2000
02-10-2007, 16:51
This hiker decided to write, among other things in the fresh cement ,AT, he was caught and arrested and spent the night in jail. This added to Robbinsville already jaded attitude toward the AT.

In my town he would have ended up IN fresh cement. I wonder how many good experiences with hikers it takes to erase this knucklehead from Robbinsville's collective memory?

My own experience with robbinsville in 2000 included advances by a registered sex offender, trip to local bootlegger and a one hour kidnapping by Cherokees.

See, now that sounds like a crazy awesome town stop to me. . .

Fannypack
02-10-2007, 16:57
<snip>

<snip>
can we get more details on these 3 items?

Buckles
02-10-2007, 22:31

Actually, I do have a problem. I don't have more than about two drinks a week, but I've got these Jesus freaks in Georgia regulating retail sales in an attempt impose some perverted form of morality. There's only one reason you can't buy alcohol here on Sundays; it's not a public safety issue or a national holiday or day of mourning. Plain and simple, it's Christians thrusting their beliefs on all of us.

smokymtnsteve
02-10-2007, 22:36
Actually, I do have a problem. I don't have more than about two drinks a week, but I've got these Jesus freaks in Georgia regulating retail sales in an attempt impose some perverted form of morality. There's only one reason you can't buy alcohol here on Sundays; it's not a public safety issue or a national holiday or day of mourning. Plain and simple, it's Christians thrusting their beliefs on all of us.

A-MAN///u got that right brother...

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2007, 22:55

They live there, they pay taxes there, and they vote there. If by due process and/or legislation they ban alcohol sales they are free to do so. Do I agree with their religious motivation to do so? No. But neither do I agree that I have a right to tell them how to run their local government, 'cause I definitely don't want them telling me how to run mine. If the State or courts decide they are violating the State Constitution, they will be forced to comply. Until then you and I are certainly free to not live or visit within their jurisdiction. And FWIW, I'm an agnostic.

smokymtnsteve
02-10-2007, 23:00
They live there, they pay taxes there, and they vote there. If by due process and/or legislation they ban alcohol sales they are free to do so. Do I agree with their religious motivation to do so? No. But neither do I agree that I have a right to tell them how to run their local government, 'cause I definitely don't want them telling me how to run mine. If the State or courts decide they are violating the State Constitution, they will be forced to comply. Until then you and I are certainly free to not live or visit within their jurisdiction. And FWIW, I'm an agnostic.

U think they got they right to tell agnostics that they ain't welsome in "thier"
jurisdiction...move along son!

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2007, 23:16
I've never been told that I'm not welcome anywhere in the South. Then again, I obey the law and try to be polite. My [lack of] religion's never been an issue.

norub
02-10-2007, 23:25

I agree completely. And the next time I get Springer Fever and hike down there, I will mail drop every single item I'll need. Won't spend a dime enriching people who can't understand the basic concept of separation of church and state. You're right, they are free to wallow in the own stupidity and arrogance, that is their right. No reason to reward that behavior with our cash though. The GA section of the trail is less than 80 miles long, it's quite easy to breeze through it without spending a cent.

rainmaker
02-10-2007, 23:32

A lot of us long time residents also wonder why folk move to the Bible Belt and then spend so much time telling us how they do things up North. Very odd behavior, odd indeed.

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2007, 23:34
No reason to reward that behavior with our cash though. The GA section of the trail is less than 80 miles long, it's quite easy to breeze through it without spending a cent.

I agree.:)

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2007, 23:40
A lot of us long time residents also wonder why folk move to the Bible Belt and then spend so much time telling us how they do things up North. Very odd behavior, odd indeed.

If it makes you feel any better, in norhern NH people from MA, NY, etc move here to get away from the problems in those places. Then the first thing they do is try to change things so it's more like the place they left - with all the accompaning problems. Odd behavior is universal.

rainmaker
02-10-2007, 23:44
I agree completely. And the next time I get Springer Fever and hike down there, I will mail drop every single item I'll need. Won't spend a dime enriching people who can't understand the basic concept of separation of church and state. You're right, they are free to wallow in the own stupidity and arrogance, that is their right. No reason to reward that behavior with our cash though. The GA section of the trail is less than 80 miles long, it's quite easy to breeze through it without spending a cent.

I can't wait to see you breeze through North Carolina,Tennessee, and Virginia. May I also suggest that you not accept rides from folk with local lic. tags. They may suspect that you are a lost soul and drop you off at the closest tent revival. BTW, I also do not particularly care for Blue Laws but over the last sixty years have managed to make do with little difficulty.
Sincerely,
A Confederate Agnostic

smokymtnsteve
02-10-2007, 23:47
i wuz raised in a little town whar ye couldn't even buy gasoline at the fillin station on sunday.

u couldn't buy wine nor liker nor beer anyday of the week...ceptin at the amerikan legion and VFW.

rainmaker
02-10-2007, 23:52
i wuz raised in a little town whar ye couldn't even buy gasoline at the fillin station on sunday.

u couldn't buy wine nor liker nor beer anyday of the week...ceptin at the amerikan legion and VFW.

....or the bootlegger.

smokymtnsteve
02-10-2007, 23:54
....or the bootlegger.

don't chew talk about my uncle jack leik that....my uncle jack made medysin and he didn't sell it on sunday mornings,

tha
02-10-2007, 23:59
I can't wait to see you breeze through North Carolina,Tennessee, and Virginia. May I also suggest that you not accept rides from folk with local lic. tags. They may suspect that you are a lost soul and drop you off at the closest tent revival. BTW, I also do not particularly care for Blue Laws but over the last sixty years have managed to make do with little difficulty.
Sincerely,
A Confederate Agnostic

I don't happen to be an agnostic, but you nailed it for me as well, Rain. People sure get upset about the lack of a cold beer or so. I guess they would part with their cash if there were more beer available. Dang, I like a cold beer as much as anybody, but some of this stuff going on here seems like just plain anger. I guess if I couldn't tolerate the laws without over the top griping, I might find me another trail. But that's just me. :welcome

smokymtnsteve
02-11-2007, 00:07
yea but wal-mart is bringing in progresive thought to allt hese little southern towns. they is a open on sunday dem walymarts.

wal marts is agonna be a peacemaker between the southern evangelical church and consumerism..along with yore local ALL U KIN EAT BUFFET resterant which the local church going and godfearing folks don't mind being open on sunday right after church time even if somebody has to miss the word of the lord to do the cooking for the resterant

Frosty
02-11-2007, 00:53
i dont wanna drink in dry countys anyway. its not fun. sneeking around with a wine in a bag. and then returning to the bluberry patch drunk. There are a lot of things funny about gettng drunk, but one of them isn't treating the Poteets that way.

Buckles
02-11-2007, 01:56
I've never been told that I'm not welcome anywhere in the South. Then again, I obey the law and try to be polite. My [lack of] religion's never been an issue.

Next time you're in the South, find a way to softly interject your lack of religion into the conversation. I guarantee that you'll feel a dark cloud of bridled spite and malice. Hypocrites welcome, but you're not.

Sly
02-11-2007, 04:04
Sincerely,
A Confederate Agnostic

Still on that North/Union vs South/Confederate thing? :rolleyes:

Ramble~On
02-11-2007, 04:52
I just finished reading through this thread and I hiked in 1996 and the dry counties were not an issue as my maildrops had accounted for them and those around me that might be "less prepared"

Robbinsville as a resupply point (?) Why ? it is a ways off the trail and you may get a ride or you may have a very long walk. The grocery store would be the highlight of your trip. Robbinsville doesn't get many hikers and Robbinsville doesn't get many of anything else either. It is a slow southern mountain town and for some of those that live there it's the way they'd like to see it remain. Places like this are getting fewer and fewer.
Dry towns and dry counties don't bother me and the businesses in them seem to be able to survive without the money brought in from clubs, pubs, taverns, bars and the sale of alcohol in general. Places like this appeal to some and more power to them....the county I live in isn't dry and those that come here and support the businesses that sell it make for a stronger local economy. Looking at this town and dry towns such as Robbinsville there is a difference...but to each their own. While the county I live in isn't dry and beer and wine have been sold in restaurants etc....we just recently got booze by the drink.....that's right...until recently you could get a beer or a glass of wine but if you wanted a cocktail at happy hour you wouldn't have been happy. Course ...regardless of which church you go to, which county or town you live in.....Moonshine isn't considered alcohol.:D Any Original Graham Crackers want to chime in and let the world know that Robbinsville's not completely dry ?
Hmmmmmm....some trail magic ideas for Stecoah Gap this spring just materialized.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2007, 05:40
wal marts is agonna be a peacemaker between the southern evangelical church and consumerism..along with yore local ALL U KIN EAT BUFFET resterant which the local church going and godfearing folks don't mind being open on sunday right after church time even if somebody has to miss the word of the lord to do the cooking for the resterant

ain't gluttony a sin?

freefall
02-11-2007, 07:26
I had no problem w/ Robbinsville, in fact it was one of the better towns I stopped in (got a ride from the Hike Inn, which was also problem free).

As far as the laws go, if you don't like `em, don't go there. I'm sure the people that live there 24/7-365 will all loose sleep over it.

Ramble~On
02-11-2007, 07:47
I've seen some trail journals mention the library and the Ingles (supermarket) but as a whole Robbinsville is off the beaten path and because most resupply by one means or another at NOC or Fontana Robbinsville is a small southern mountain town that most people passing through Stecoah Gap never even realize is there.

Jimmers
02-11-2007, 09:11
ain't gluttony a sin?
Not in the old U.S. of A. Just look around as you walk down the street.

rainmaker
02-11-2007, 09:46
Still on that North/Union vs South/Confederate thing? :rolleyes:

Not really. I just think its a hoot when people move too or visit an area and then spend time crticizing that place. I suppose it is some sort of low grade culture shock. As for folk getting on their high horse and promising not to spend money to protest the cultural values of a community, that is practically oxymoronic, long distance hikers are cheap ( or frugal) and I suspect few if any trail communities would miss their economic impact. It would make for an interesting study.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2007, 09:50
As for folk getting on their high horse and promising not to spend money to protest the cultural values of a community, that is practically oxymoronic, long distance hikers are cheap ( or frugal) and I suspect few if any trail communities would miss their economic impact. It would make for an interesting study.

True. if the AT was relocated 20 miles away from Damascus the only business that would be affected would be Mount Rogers Outfitters.

Joey
02-11-2007, 10:01
by alcohol i meant beer. y'all gotta move more catholic floridians up there to out number the baptists. get it voted in. Though not a Baptist nor Catholic, the last thing needed is more FLORIDIANS coming up to our mountains in NC/TN and screwing with us. We already have enough of them here already! (actually too damn many of them). Nuff said bout that, but it is nice to have you a cold beer after several days on the trail and not have to sneek around to get it from a bootlegger. Dont like the laws myself, but you have to follow them and respect them even if they are ridiculous.

The Scribe
02-11-2007, 10:08
If it makes you feel any better, in norhern NH people from MA, NY, etc move here to get away from the problems in those places. Then the first thing they do is try to change things so it's more like the place they left - with all the accompaning problems. Odd behavior is universal.

You can surely add Maine as well. People come from away cause it is different here. Once they move in permanently, they then work to make it more like what they left behind.

saimyoji
02-11-2007, 10:39
Yeah, getting liquor in PA is a pain. Add to that those terrible rocks, boulders, lack of water.....yeah, better just skip PA. :D

Rain Man
02-11-2007, 10:58

Steve, YOU had an American Legion and VFW?! Man oh man, you were a step up! We didn't even have those where I grew up.

Rain Man
02-11-2007, 11:00
You can surely add Maine as well. People come from away cause it is different here. Once they move in permanently, they then work to make it more like what they left behind.

You mean exactly like all those Mainers did, when they arrived from Europe?! ~wink~

norub
02-11-2007, 12:39
Next time you're in the South, find a way to softly interject your lack of religion into the conversation. I guarantee that you'll feel a dark cloud of bridled spite and malice. Hypocrites welcome, but you're not.

You are dead-on correctc, Buckles.

For whoever made that silly comment about "if you don't like it find another trail", hey it isn't the AT's fault that that some of its neighbors are narrow-minded , intolerant bible-thumpers who can't comprehend the concept of separation of chuch and state.

As I said before, of course these people have a right to manage their communities any way they please. It's none of my business and I couldn't care less about trying to "change then". However, I will not reward them for their behavior with my dollars.

As Spiritwind noted, there is a noticable difference between dry and normal towns of similar sizes/locales. In my observation, the dry towns seem seedier around the edges, with more boarded-up buildings and an overall stagnant feel to them. A handful of hikers choosing to spend or not spend their money there is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenues they're losing when some of their own residents do the majority of their shopping in neighboring normal counties.

They're shooting themselves in the foot, and are slowly bleeding to death. Which is their own fault and as the saying goes, "Stupid should Hurt".

Sly
02-11-2007, 12:46
Though not a Baptist nor Catholic, the last thing needed is more FLORIDIANS coming up to our mountains in NC/TN and screwing with us. We already have enough of them here already! (actually too damn many of them).

LOL.... Your TN/NC mountains? You're a "foreigner" from SC! :welcome

Lone Wolf
02-11-2007, 12:47
LOL.... Your TN/NC mountains? You're a "foreigner" from SC! :welcome

i wasn't gonna say nothin...:)

neo
02-11-2007, 12:51

:D if ya quit drinking it wont be a problem:cool: neo

dixicritter
02-11-2007, 12:54
There have been many many threads on WB about the differences between the north and the south, and they all seem to end up the same way. Exactly the way this thread is turning out.

I would like to point everyone to the WB User Agreement once again...

Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes personal attacks,[b] hate language[b] and symbols, sexually offensive postings and profane/vulgar language, as well as any other offensive language. If you’re not sure whether something is offensive, err on the side of caution.

Please note that I have emphasized the words hate language as they apply here.

Debating the issue of dry counties along the AT is one thing but calling the people who live there (some of whom happen to be members here at WB) stupid is not acceptable. Just because you don't agree with the laws in an area you don't live in and are just passing through, what makes them any more stupid than the laws where you do live? They work for the people who have to live with them daily obviously.

Now I think it is time to cool it, or risk having this discussion ended for violation of the WB User Agreement.

rafe
02-11-2007, 12:54

I remember a looong discussion with the cobbler in Erwin, out at the hostel by the river. (It had to do with a pack repair that went wrong.) We got to talking about this and that... and it got deeper and deeper and later and later. It was all very civil and amicable and friendly, but I enjoyed messing with his head. He was obviously a clean-living, hard-working, g*d fearin' Christian, but he'd never encountered a Jewish atheist before. In any case, there was no rancor or malice. None. It was a respectful discussion from beginning to end.

ed bell
02-11-2007, 13:12
I remember a looong discussion with the cobbler in Erwin, out at the hostel by the river. (It had to do with a pack repair that went wrong.) We got to talking about this and that... and it got deeper and deeper and later and later. It was all very civil and amicable and friendly, but I enjoyed messing with his head. He was obviously a clean-living, hard-working, g*d fearin' Christian, but he'd never encountered a Jewish atheist before. In any case, there was no rancor or malice. None. It was a respectful discussion from beginning to end.Maybe the devil made you do it.:-?:D

Lone Wolf
02-11-2007, 13:13
how can you be jewish and athiest?

rafe
02-11-2007, 13:29

No problem (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=judaism+atheism&btnG=Google+Search).

Bravo
02-11-2007, 13:36

They don't believe in god but still say things like "oy vey" and "shmutz."

The're cheap too.:D

aaroniguana
02-11-2007, 13:47
Try this equation:

Empty .5L Deer Park bottle + full bottle Jameson's + Maildrop = no problem.

Just carry it.

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2007, 14:36
Dix is 100% correct. There are major suburbs of Boston that are dry. Hanover NH doesn't have a liquor store, and neither do a lot of towns in New England. It isn't a "North/South" thing, it's merely small town politics and small town decisions, and people deciding for themselves what works best in their communities. In many ways, the small towns in the far North aren't that much different from the ones down South.

(Except people go to church more often down south and tend to be friendlier!! ) :D

rickb
02-11-2007, 15:06
Bravo,

We all say stupid things.

One of the great things about being a donating member is that we get to go back and edit out some of them.

How about it?

Rick B

Sly
02-11-2007, 15:11
Ah, the edit button really isn't for taking words back (it's one reason they didn't want to include one), but correcting mistakes. If you show your ass, you're expected to live with it.

Bravo
02-11-2007, 15:22
Bravo,

We all say stupid things.

One of the great things about being a donating member is that we get to go back and edit out some of them.

How about it?

Rick B

Did you see the smiley face??? Get over it!

Bravo
02-11-2007, 15:25
Ah, the edit button really isn't for taking words back (it's one reason they didn't want to include one), but correcting mistakes. If you show your ass, you're expected to live with it.

I agree and I am an ass.:)

Oh by the way I learned those yiddish phrases from my Cheap Jew Girlfriend.:D

Sly
02-11-2007, 15:41
Oh by the way I learned those yiddish phrases from my Cheap Jew Girlfriend.:D

She was most likely cheap (with you) when she looked at the ROI. :p

Bravo
02-11-2007, 15:49
She was most likely cheap (with you) when she looked at the ROI. :p

You're not kidding.:)

eventidecu
02-11-2007, 16:23
For all the talk about small towns being "dry" and it being "their" business running "their" town the way "they" want is EXACTLY what "their" doing. Having grown up in a small town and lived in several small and large "they" are all the same. All you have to do is go to a few county council meetings and take a look at who's sitting up there. There the same guys who are the "big wigs" in church and who are the "big" area contractors. And it's "their world" not usually the community's. Even more so in the small towns, there "the elite" ones and set "their world" up the way "they" want others to perceive what "their" morals are. And more often than not do not represent most of the local every day people who like to have a little drink now and then and don't "hide" it. And most of those "leaders" can be found at the local private club or golf course club house partaking on just about ANY given Sunday. Hence "brown baggin Baptist".

tha
02-11-2007, 18:03
You are dead-on correctc, Buckles.

For whoever made that silly comment about "if you don't like it find another trail", hey it isn't the AT's fault that that some of its neighbors are narrow-minded , intolerant bible-thumpers who can't comprehend the concept of separation of chuch and state.

As I said before, of course these people have a right to manage their communities any way they please. It's none of my business and I couldn't care less about trying to "change then". However, I will not reward them for their behavior with my dollars.

As Spiritwind noted, there is a noticable difference between dry and normal towns of similar sizes/locales. In my observation, the dry towns seem seedier around the edges, with more boarded-up buildings and an overall stagnant feel to them. A handful of hikers choosing to spend or not spend their money there is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenues they're losing when some of their own residents do the majority of their shopping in neighboring normal counties.

They're shooting themselves in the foot, and are slowly bleeding to death. Which is their own fault and as the saying goes, "Stupid should Hurt".

Well, I'd be the guy who made that "silly" comment. I stand by it 100%. I was born and raised in GA, moved to New York for career reasons, hated it and their laws, did what I had to do to fulfill my commitment, moved to CA, hate their laws, moving back to GA within a year. One of the great things about this country is that one can do just that: usually find laws and lifestyles that work for you. One thing I have always done is to keep my mouth shut about a place I chose to move to or visit unless I had something positive to say. I like that practice.

moxie
02-11-2007, 20:16
You mean exactly like all those Mainers did, when they arrived from Europe?! ~wink~

Actually very few the Maine people came from Europe, at least not directly. Thare are four native american tribes and much of the "native" population can claim some native american blood. Maine was part of Massachuetts until 1820 so those folks can calim to come from Mass. Virtually all of our huge French population came from Quebec and New Brunswwick. Less than 2% of Mainers are black but many are from Asia. Maine hes a very large Syrian-Lebaneese population that came here as weavers in th 1890,s to work in the textile mills. Maine has has a population growth in the last 25 years with most of them coming from New York and southern New England because of the quaint lifestyle. Most of the early settlers from Europe were driven off by the bitter winters, killed by the indians, or shot by the British. There just weren't very many boats pulling into Pemequid harbor discharging settlers from Europe.

ed bell
02-11-2007, 21:47
For whoever made that silly comment about "if you don't like it find another trail", hey it isn't the AT's fault that that some of its neighbors are narrow-minded , intolerant bible-thumpers who can't comprehend the concept of separation of chuch and state....

Well, I'd be the guy who made that "silly" comment. I stand by it 100%. I was born and raised in GA, moved to New York for career reasons, hated it and their laws, did what I had to do to fulfill my commitment, moved to CA, hate their laws, moving back to GA within a year. One of the great things about this country is that one can do just that: usually find laws and lifestyles that work for you. One thing I have always done is to keep my mouth shut about a place I chose to move to or visit unless I had something positive to say. I like that practice.Encountering the local flavor is part of the reason the AT exists in the first place. If knowledge of town rules helps you to decide how you would like to spend your money, knock yourself out. I gotta go with tha on this one. Perception and reality rarely hook up down here.:sun

Sly
02-11-2007, 22:39
. I was born and raised in GA, moved to New York for career reasons, hated it and their laws, did what I had to do to fulfill my commitment, moved to CA, hate their laws, moving back to GA within a year. One of the great things about this country is that one can do just that: usually find laws and lifestyles that work for you. One thing I have always done is to keep my mouth shut about a place I chose to move to or visit unless I had something positive to say. I like that practice.

Until now?

You're moving back to Georgia because you like it's laws? Which would those be that are different than NY's or CA's?

insure ants
02-11-2007, 23:34
Rude awakening: the very first stop on the trail where a guy might want a celebratory cold one is in a dry county. No beer, no wine, no liquor. No kidding. Not even in restaurants. There is a convenience store down the road called The Booger. Fuhgetabboutit. The guy who picks you up to take you to Goose Creek where you can rent a nice cabin is sweet. And has bible verses painted all over his van. And he frowns when asked to shuttle anyone to the neighboring non-dry country for beverages.

Those dry counties have the right idea. Alcohol is a scourge of society. Drinking results in lost productivity, failed marriages, auto accidents, liver disease, premature senility, people acting stupid generally, and on and on. You should be glad for your time in those dry counties, maybe it will give you a glimpse at wholesome living.

Skyline
02-11-2007, 23:52
If you can handle the hard stuff, it's ultralight compared to beer or wine. Just put a few of those airline-size single servings of your favorite spirit in each maildrop and you're set. Don't sweat the local laws, you've outsmarted 'em.

rafe
02-11-2007, 23:55
Alcohol is a scourge of society.

What are the others? ;)

tha
02-12-2007, 00:05
Until now?

You're moving back to Georgia because you like it's laws? Which would those be that are different than NY's or CA's?

Thanks for asking, Sly. I am an avid shooter. The gun laws in CA and NY, particularly NYC, are draconian and getting worse. Like I said earlier, it's just something I enjoy. In addition to the laws, I also simply feel comfortable in the South. That surprised me when I realized it a couple of years ago after several family members died. The AT actually played an important part in that. When I was a kid, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I used to spend a great deal of time in the Dahlonega, Amicalola Falls, Hiawassee, Blairsville, etc. areas, especially hiking and camping around there. Vogel State Park and Lake Winfield Scott were for years the only places we could afford to go for vacation. Now, I miss it. Can't wait for my thru in March of '08. Been talking about it for 275 years, or so it seems. :sun Also, I have honestly never experienced many of the things described in this thread. I don't say they don't exist; I've just never seen them. To each his own, right?

Sly
02-12-2007, 00:19
Thanks for the reply tha. I agree the some of the gun laws can be draconian, especially since they're supposed to be a right guaranteed under the 2nd Amendment.

Desert Lobster
02-12-2007, 01:04
Aren't liberals mostly Democrats and if so, why is it that Democrats are for gun control? I would think that the liberal position would be protecting the rights of gun owners.

Sly
02-12-2007, 02:20
Yeah, you would think. Lots of major metropolitan police chiefs also back gun control so it's not just a partisan issue.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2007, 07:07
Thanks for asking, Sly. I am an avid shooter. The gun laws in CA and NY, particularly NYC, are draconian and getting worse. Like I said earlier, it's just something I enjoy.

Move to Vermont. You can carry concealed without a permit. In your vehicle too.
www.packing.org

Jim Adams
02-12-2007, 08:46
Those dry counties have the right idea. Alcohol is a scourge of society. Drinking results in lost productivity, failed marriages, auto accidents, liver disease, premature senility, people acting stupid generally, and on and on. You should be glad for your time in those dry counties, maybe it will give you a glimpse at wholesome living.:eek:

So closed minded!!!
That's like saying that hiking should be outlawed because it can lead to bad knees and knee replacements.
It is the same with everything in life.
Guns don't kill, people using them irresponsibly do.
Alcohol doesn't kill, people using it irresponsibly do.
Local laws may not project my beliefs but those beliefs of a select few.:-?

geek

Lone Wolf
02-12-2007, 09:13
A fork made Rosie O'Donnell a big fat cow

rafe
02-12-2007, 09:31
A fork made Rosie O'Donnell a big fat cow

What's Limbaugh's excuse? ;)

Bravo
02-12-2007, 09:58
Those dry counties have the right idea. Alcohol is a scourge of society. Drinking results in lost productivity, failed marriages, auto accidents, liver disease, premature senility, people acting stupid generally, and on and on. You should be glad for your time in those dry counties, maybe it will give you a glimpse at wholesome living.

Whoa. Take out auto accidents and liver disease and that sounds like long distance hiking to me. Marriages have been broken. It causes premature senility in some(or is that just trail weirdness). Lots of hikers act stupid just read WB.:D

Wholesome living I guess can be nice but most great stories come from the left hand path.:)

Peaks
02-12-2007, 10:42
Different communities, different rules.

I, coming in here late.

Here in Massachusetts, it's package stores. Well, in last November's election, there was a ballot question that would have allowed grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Sounded like a no-brainer to me. But the lobby for the package store painted a picture of selling booze at convience stores and gas stations, thus, more DWI, and less control over selling booze to minors. Needless to say, the ballot question got defeated.

Meanwhile, many times we have stopped at the state stores in rest areas along I-93 in New Hampshire and bought booze. Go figure.

moxie
02-12-2007, 10:49
Move to Vermont. You can carry concealed without a permit. In your vehicle too.
www.packing.org (http://www.packing.org)
Lone Wolf is right on. In Vermont if you plan to go to Canada where they have strict gun laws you can check your handgun at any State Police station and they will hold it until you return to VT. Maine does have a concealed weapons permit but the law says a permit cannot be denied to any citizen not convicted of a felony. However in Maine, permit or not, it is legal to carry a weapon anywhere if it is not concealed so strap on the old 44 magnum and go to Walmart or a movie. The store or theater may object but it is perfectly legal. Rural is rural, urban is different. in the north or in the south. By the way Lobster, have you ever known a liberal Maine political leader, (Ed Muskie. George Mitchel, etc.) favor any type of gun registration or control? Dont try to blame the liberals, it's strictly an urban rural thing.

Rain Man
02-12-2007, 11:22
So closed minded!!! That's like saying that hiking should be outlawed because it can lead to bad knees and knee replacements.

Sorry, Geek, but to me you are the one being closed minded. Or is it just wrongly comparing apples and sailboats?

He spoke mostly of things alcohol abuse does to others, while you compare it mostly to things it does to oneself, and conclude it is, therefore, okay.

I don't. Alcohol abuse hurts others on a vast and deep scale, and that is the main reason we need reasonable alcohol laws. I don't mind a discussion about what is reasonable, as long as it's a discussion of apples and apples.

And guns don't impair one's frame of mind nearly the quantity or quality as alcohol does, so that's a bogus comparison, in my opinion.

Jim Adams
02-12-2007, 12:29
Rain Man,
Just venting a little I guess.
I AM a drinker and do enjoy it but I also have been a paramedic for 30 years. Alcohol does do damage on a very large scale, I see it in my job constantly. What makes me mad is that all of these strange laws that everyone is talking about will not change society's view on the situation. The war on drugs is a joke. Our prisons are full of pot smoking "criminals" while I scrape car accident victims off of the highway on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. DUI! This country is not open minded about this situation at all!
A friend of mine is a doctor of pharmacology and his thoughts on Marijuana are this: How can you get down on a drug that makes teenagers drive slow?
Now being in my profession, although I don't totally agree with his sentiments, I can see his point to a certain extent. I doubt that Marijuana will ever be legal in the USA but alcohol will NEVER be outlawed--the government makes too much money on it!
I AM A DRINKER and enjoy drinking enough to probably end up with some type of liver problem but if alcohol were outlawed my job would be a whole lot easier!

geek

1Pint
02-12-2007, 13:52
I AM A DRINKER and enjoy drinking ....

geek

I, too, am a drinker. (Just in case the name didn't tip you off.) I absolutely love trying new beers and will miss the variety and ease of purchase my city life provides.

However, I'm more likely to go into withdrawal from lack of my cherry Pepsi than I am from a few dry counties or those with only crappy Bud, MGD, etc. Lack of a good beer along the trail will be the same as a lack of good coffee... like a mosquito bite of inconvenience compared to the hankering I'll feel for my Pepsi. And I know this from experience - this Fall I was only able to procure 4 Pepsis in the space of 25 days. :eek: It was brutal! Coke just doesn't serve the fix.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2007, 13:56
only crappy Bud, MGD, etc.

we'll see what you think of "crappy" beer after a couple of weeks on the trail when someone offers you a PBR. your beer snobbery will go out the window.:)

khaynie
02-12-2007, 14:16
we'll see what you think of "crappy" beer after a couple of weeks on the trail when someone offers you a PBR. your beer snobbery will go out the window.:)

There are only two kinds of beer...Studweiser and free.:)

Lone Wolf
02-12-2007, 14:26
There are only two kinds of beer...Studweiser and free.:)

OP ain't bad. (other people's)

The Weasel
02-12-2007, 14:36

I think there are many; whether they outweigh what some see as the negatives of the extent of the fundamentalist churches in those areas is a matter of personal choice.

Much of the 'bible belt' is in those parts of NC/TN/GA/ALA/MS that are very scenic - the AT is an excellent example - with very low costs of living compared to other parts of the country. There is a less 'hurried' atmosphere to life than in large cities, and, for those who are willing to accept (even it not agree with) the difference in cultures, a very warm and welcoming community life that is very different from urban life.

I recall the story of the farmer leaning on his fence as a man walked by. "How are the people in the town up ahead?" the man asked. "How were they where you just came from" the farmer replied. "Oh, not very nice," said the traveller. "They're the same up ahead," the farmer said. A while later, the farmer was by his fence as another traveller came by, and the same questions. "They were wonderful back there," said the traveller. "They're the same up ahead," the farmer said.

The Weasel

khaynie
02-12-2007, 14:36
Yeah, OP is particularly tasty. It's real cheap:-)

1Pint
02-12-2007, 14:38

Not a chance. A moment on the lips, forever on the hips. If I'm drinking it, it better be good. And despite the old Mexican saying of "hunger is the best sauce," I've survived for months without drinking your favorite crap and I'll continue right on doing so. Hey, we're all allowed to be snobs in 1 area of our lives. ;) And this is my 1 high-maintenance snob area.

Jim Adams
02-12-2007, 14:44
BEER=CALORIES!
A pork chop in every can!
geek

Jim Adams
02-12-2007, 14:47
Not a chance. A moment on the lips, forever on the hips. If I'm drinking it, it better be good. And despite the old Mexican saying of "hunger is the best sauce," I've survived for months without drinking your favorite crap and I'll continue right on doing so. Hey, we're all allowed to be snobs in 1 area of our lives. ;) And this is my 1 high-maintenance snob area.
1Pint,
Good beer rules! You are right, Bud, MGD,etc. are like F***ing on the beach. Its near water.:D
geek

The Weasel
02-12-2007, 14:49
Lone Wolf is right on. In Vermont if you plan to go to Canada where they have strict gun laws you can check your handgun at any State Police station and they will hold it until you return to VT. Maine does have a concealed weapons permit but the law says a permit cannot be denied to any citizen not convicted of a felony. However in Maine, permit or not, it is legal to carry a weapon anywhere if it is not concealed so strap on the old 44 magnum and go to Walmart or a movie. The store or theater may object but it is perfectly legal. Rural is rural, urban is different. in the north or in the south. By the way Lobster, have you ever known a liberal Maine political leader, (Ed Muskie. George Mitchel, etc.) favor any type of gun registration or control? Dont try to blame the liberals, it's strictly an urban rural thing.

"Concealed" weapons are generally those "hidden from common observation" or "out of ordinary sight." That includes covered by coats or clothing. Some states consider a weapon "concealed" if it is in a car's map pocket or glove box.

Maine requires a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It does not appear that Maine will honor a CCW permit from any other state, although many other states honor Maine's.

Business establishments, churches, and other places open to the public are generally free to prohibit persons entering their premises from carrying weapons (not just concealed ones), in Maine and elsewhere.

The Weasel

1Pint
02-12-2007, 14:51
BEER=CALORIES!
A pork chop in every can!
geek

And that's why God invented running and hiking. (Just to stir things up and allow L Wolf to take a break.) When I look at a yummy beer and think "do I really want to run 3 miles so I can drink this?" The next thought is almost invariably "YES!"

Mags
02-12-2007, 15:03

Nonsense.

The liquor laws are just plain silly in this country.

Why shouldn't an adult be allowed to pick up some wine to go with the evening meal?

I have a friend from Italy (a "real" Italian as opposed to a 3rd generation removed copy like me. :D) who went to buy some groceries one Sunday. He asked where the wine was in the grocery store. The help looked at him like he was nuts.

Yeah...if you NEED alcohol it is one thing.

But, come on... I buy my cheese. I buy my meat. I buy my veggies. All part of a wonderful meal. And so is a nice wine or beer.

A dry county won't make or break a hike. Obviously.

But in 2007, it seems odd you can't buy a beer to have with your burger.

It seems odd that I can't buy a Malbec to go with the rosemary cheese, macaroni and other yummy food I am making...just because it is a Sunday.

As I a said, it is not that a big thing in the overall scheme of things. It just makes as much sense as the 100+ yr old blue laws that are also on the books.

Mags
02-12-2007, 15:06
There are a lot of things funny about gettng drunk, but one of them isn't treating the Poteets that way.

I agree. When you stay at someone's house, you are a guest. And being a guest is respecting someone's rules.

In you really want to have a drink with your meal, don't stay with a place that politely asks not to drink alcohol.

Mags
02-12-2007, 15:10
There have been many many threads on WB about the differences between the north and the south, and they all seem to end up the same way..

Besides, everyone knows all the really cool people live out West. :p

(I liked my time spent in the South, nice people. Friendly. I also liked my time in New England, Montana, California, etc. for the same reasons!)

Mags
02-12-2007, 15:25

Three of my closest friends are Jewish. Two are non-religious, one is an atheist Israeli Jew.

My buddy and I get in these discussions often.

It is possible to be CULTURALLY Jewish, but not religious. He and his wife celebrated the bris of their son (I am baby sitting him this week! Big step for me. :) ), have a rabbi for the wedding, etc. Because they are proud of their culture. Their traditions. Their "Jewishness".

My Israeli friend is typical of many Israelis. Again, culturally Jewish, but not religious at all. I'll be holding the chupa (sp?) at his wedding. But he also gave me a book on the GOD DELUSION as well!

There is not equivalent for me. I really can't be "culturally Catholic" and not believe in God.

I may have ethnic traditions, but they are nowhere as cohesive and as powerful as my friends traditions/culture.

Sure, there is the sterotype (often true in some cases! ;) ) of the Italian Catholic.

But, unlike my friends, those traditions pretty much end with my brothers and I as we are American more so than out grandparents.

I may make some food I grew up with. Their may be a few words I still speak from the dialect my ancestors brought over from Italy (some of which I thought were Engish until recently!), but I am not Italian. Nor will my children be...and they will be even less so than I am.

My friends children will still be Jewish, with or without the religious belief.

The core of their ethinc background is not tied to their religious faith. But, they can practice the cultural part of it and pass it on to their children.

I suspect I'll be grabbing Chinese food on Xmas eve with the little guy in years to come. :-)

Sorry..in a rambling mood today!

1Pint
02-12-2007, 15:35
Sorry..in a rambling mood today!

Then maybe you should give us a post-interview report (without any compromising details, of course.) ;)

khaynie
02-12-2007, 15:42
1Pint,
Good beer rules! You are right, Bud, MGD,etc. are like F***ing on the beach. Its near water.:D
geek

Budheavy, at 5% alcohol by volume, is hardly water. Nothing says American by God like a Budwesier.:D On the other hand, your lights: Bud light, neutrals (natural light), miller, etc are all near beers.

Oh, and your simile is quite catchy. I'll have to put that in my bag of sayings...thanks.:)

Back to the original intent of the thread...dry counties are hardly a major inconveience on either end of the trail. As with most of the threads that drag on and on, another mole hill has been made into mountain.

Mags
02-12-2007, 15:53
Then maybe you should give us a post-interview report (without any compromising details, of course.) ;)

But, I have another interview tonight with a different person (7pm). I actually have to iron....

I'll see how both go so I can compare and contrast for everyone's amusement - at my expense, of course. ;)

Mags
02-12-2007, 15:57
Budheavy, at 5% alcohol by volume, is hardly water. Nothing says American by God like a Budwesier.:D On the other hand, your lights: Bud light, neutrals (natural light), miller, etc are all near beers.

I'm a bit of a beer snob as well.

But, I tell you what: Hike all day, get hot and sweaty. Get a hitch from a rancher.

When he offers you an ice cold beer that is beading water, the Bud/MGD/Coors tastes like the best beer you've ever had.

Truly.

norub
02-12-2007, 16:54
Those counties who legislate who is allowed to have sex have the right idea. Sex is a scourge of society. Sexual behavior results in unwanted pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, child molestation, failed marriages, premature ejaculation, people acting stupid generally, and on and on. You should be glad for your time in those counties that outlaw the kinds of sex they don't approve of, maybe it will give you a glimpse at wholesome living. :rolleyes:

Bravo
02-12-2007, 17:05
Those counties who legislate who is allowed to have sex have the right idea. Sex is a scourge of society. Sexual behavior results in unwanted pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, child molestation, failed marriages, premature ejaculation, people acting stupid generally, and on and on. You should be glad for your time in those counties that outlaw the kinds of sex they don't approve of, maybe it will give you a glimpse at wholesome living. :rolleyes:

This kind of thinking is poison. Not to rant in the dry county thread BUT maybe if you spent some time really looking into sex you might understand it better. These sexually repressed ideas is what has poisoned sex. These ideas are the problem not the solution.

No back to the original program.

LW, I agree even a PBR is looking pretty good after a day or many on the trail.

Ewker
02-12-2007, 17:12
I was in the Smokies and some riders came by and offered me a beer. I stood there talking and drinking, finished it off and he gave me another. He even took the empty cans...was it my favorite beer..nope but it was good and cold.

Jim Adams
02-12-2007, 19:29
I was in the Smokies and some riders came by and offered me a beer. I stood there talking and drinking, finished it off and he gave me another. He even took the empty cans...was it my favorite beer..nope but it was good and cold.

I do have my favorite beers but my true favorite is "wet"---cold is an option!:banana
geek

tha
02-12-2007, 20:20

Moxie, That is a really astute observation in most cases. However, sometimes it is tough to separate the urban influence from the liberalism. I guess I had better not say any more about that on this thread. I may be getting too much into politics. I do agree with you much more than not on that point. However, it's not quite that way in CA. State law trumps all, regardless of population, with very little local control. I was looking at VT and Maine as possible relocation points, but my old bones started creaking.

1Pint
02-12-2007, 20:27

----
Back to the original intent of the thread...dry counties are hardly a major inconveience on either end of the trail. As with most of the threads that drag on and on, another mole hill has been made into mountain.

It may be that we made a mountain out of a mole hill, but I can't help enjoy any discussion about beer, so on I go....

I don't go by alcohol %, I go by taste. And the taste of the Buds, PBRs, etc just don't do it for me. I mean, would you settle for instant coffee to fix your coffee jones? (but that's another thread swerve)

Anyway, one of my new favorites only has 1.3% alcohol. My local dude said he wouldn't bother stocking it because no one else would find it worth drinking. :(

I lived in a place for 5+ months where it was extremely difficult to get alcohol. On the rare times when someone would get their hands on some Bud or whatever, I would pass and let the rest enjoy because I knew they would get much more out of it than I. So, if we're hiking together and arrive upon some trail magic, you should hope it's the everyday stuff 'cause I'll gladly let you have my share. :sun
(geez, I hope I don't need to print a retraction in a few months!!)

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2007, 20:29
1Pint:

I assure you, that at some point on your trip, someone will offer you an ice-cold PBR and you'll make the announcement that it's positively the most magnificent malted beverage of your entire life.

And you'll be 100% right.

Actually, this will happen several times. :D

Jim Adams
02-12-2007, 20:32
.... :sun

LOL, you will!!!:banana :banana :banana
geek

Lone Wolf
02-12-2007, 20:33
LOL, you will!!!:banana :banana :banana
geek

yup. she will. guaran***nteed.

Gray Blazer
02-12-2007, 20:38
So, if we're hiking together and arrive upon some trail magic, you should hope it's the everyday stuff 'cause I'll gladly let you have my share. :sun
(geez, I hope I don't need to print a retraction in a few months!!)Boy, you thru-hikers have it rough. You may have to pass up one trail angel who is only offering busch in hopes that the next one at the next forest service road has st pauli girl:banana . When we were young, we had to haul in 6 packs to give to the locals so they'd leave us alone. Didja ever hear of Deliverance?

Mags
02-12-2007, 20:48
It may be that we made a mountain out of a mole hill, but I can't help enjoy any discussion about beer, so on I go....

Yaaaay Beer!

I mean, would you settle for instant coffee to fix your coffee jones? (but that's another thread swerve)

When I was in Montana this past July, I was offered Folgers coffee in the morning by some campers. It was hot. It was caffiene. It tasted damn good!

Mind you, I make a dark french roast for myself almost every morning. Yeah..I'm a coffee snob to go with my beer snobbery.

But, just like the Folgers tasted great in the right moment, the cheep beer tasted good when the Wyoming rancher gave it to me.

Ya know..this has the makings of a great pool. Better than the Minn. Smith one! I lay down oh, 1:2 odds. She is adamant about not wanting cheap beer. The trail veterans disagree. :sun

norub
02-12-2007, 21:34
This kind of thinking is poison. Not to rant in the dry county thread BUT maybe if you spent some time really looking into sex you might understand it better. These sexually repressed ideas is what has poisoned sex. These ideas are the problem not the solution.

So much for my attempt at satire... :D

khaynie
02-12-2007, 22:01

No biggie on the mole hill being turned into a mountain...I was merely pointing out that the thread went adrift when the whole north vs the south pissing contest started. This is a hiking forum dedicated to the hiking community; not a place to slam different cultures...

It's unfair to pin an entire geographical section of the country based on whether some mountain town serves alcohol or not...:rolleyes: But that's just my opinion...and just like brown eyes, everyones got em':)

Now...I'll bet you 50:1 odds that you can't pass up an ice cold Bud or Coco Cola Classic that you've either found or will have been offered in your 2100+ mile journey. Either way, good luck and safe travels!

rafe
02-12-2007, 22:05
This is a hiking forum dedicated to the hiking community; not a place to slam different cultures...

You would think. Tell that to the guy who signs his posts, "Southern by the Grace of God." :rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2007, 22:21
You would think. Tell that to the guy who signs his posts, "Southern by the Grace of God." :rolleyes:

Well, ya know T2, there is another way of interpreting that signature - one that infers "the Grace of God" has spared us Yankees from such an association.;) :D

Bravo
02-12-2007, 22:55
So much for my attempt at satire... :D

I apologize Norub.:) I've just seen too many people(clients) screwed up by that kind of thinking. I appreciate the humor. Since we can't hear your voice use a :D next time.

rafe
02-12-2007, 23:31
Well, ya know T2, there is another way of interpreting that signature - one that infers "the Grace of God" has spared us Yankees from such an association.;) :D

It's a twofer, for sure.

norub
02-13-2007, 12:28
I apologize Norub.:) I've just seen too many people(clients) screwed up by that kind of thinking. I appreciate the humor. Since we can't hear your voice use a :D next time.No prob, next time I'll put more rolleyes in for good measure. :D

Littlest Hobo
02-13-2007, 12:42
"Budheavy, at 5% alcohol by volume, is hardly water."

Wow - 5% - that's normal here...

1Pint
02-13-2007, 13:11
"Budheavy, at 5% alcohol by volume, is hardly water."

Wow - 5% - that's normal here...

yeah, 5%'s pretty typical down here in the lower 48 too. I think Khaynie was making light when referring to regular as "budheavy". ;)

Hmmm, but the possibilities of an excuse for a :::shouting voice::: ROADTRIP can't be ignored....I think a side-by-side comparison of the stuff we get with the stuff you get is in order. I love the Unibroue brewery. Yep, ROADTRIP!! Now if only there was something other than that dang banana, I'd be posting that. ::: pretend to see dancing raisin here :::

Littlest Hobo
02-13-2007, 13:27
yeah, 5%'s pretty typical down here in the lower 48 too. I think Khaynie was making light when referring to regular as "budheavy". ;)

Hmmm, but the possibilities of an excuse for a :::shouting voice::: ROADTRIP can't be ignored....I think a side-by-side comparison of the stuff we get with the stuff you get is in order. I love the Unibroue brewery. Yep, ROADTRIP!! Now if only there was something other than that dang banana, I'd be posting that. ::: pretend to see dancing raisin here :::

Mmmm... Unibroue. Have a six pack of their Trois Pistole ale in my fridge right now. Nothing warms you up on a cold Canadian winter's night like a 9% strong ale.

Of course, my personal favourite is La Terrible from Unibroue. Come in a champaign bottle and is 12% - something to share amongst friends.

Two Speed
02-13-2007, 13:28
. . . Better than the Minn. Smith one! I lay down oh, 1:2 odds. She is adamant about not wanting cheap beer. The trail veterans disagree. :sunBetter, but probably not as protracted. Besides, what's wrong with 1Pint preferring good beer to undrinkium? Yeah, I know the odds are against her, but what the heck, at least she's putting up a good fight.

1Pint
02-13-2007, 13:32
Mmmm... Unibroue. Have a six pack of their Trois Pistole ale in my fridge right now. Nothing warms you up on a cold Canadian winter's night like a 9% strong ale.

Of course, my personal favourite is La Terrible from Unibroue. Come in a champaign bottle and is 12% - something to share amongst friends.

The Trois is one of my favorite beers. When I want a comfort beer, something yummy and familiar, that's what I'll reach for. Haven't had the La Terrible but I just tried their cherry ale this weekend. Don't remember what they called it. Very cherry, but in a good way. I'll have to check out the Terrible. Thanks!

1Pint
02-13-2007, 13:34
Better, but probably not as protracted. Besides, what's wrong with 1Pint preferring good beer to undrinkium? Yeah, I know the odds are against her, but what the heck, at least she's putting up a good fight.

Thanks for your faith, 2Speed. I'll split the winnings with you (can I place a bet in the pool? or is that a conflict of interest?). And, as the Chief Alcohol Officer of the Now-Defunct Star Schlep Distraction, I'm sure I owe you a beer or two. ;)

Two Speed
02-13-2007, 14:01
Thanks for your faith, 2Speed. I'll split the winnings with you (can I place a bet in the pool? or is that a conflict of interest?). And, as the Chief Alcohol Officer of the Now-Defunct Star Schlep Distraction, I'm sure I owe you a beer or two. ;)I prefer "not currently operational" as opposed to defunct, but defunct may be more accurate. I don't think you owe me a beer, but if you insist Sam Adam's Black Lager is my current favorite. Of course, if you can find some Young's Oatmeal Porter that's not out of date I'd be in YOUR debt for quite some time.

Let me know if you need in the way of an airdrop; quality beer, sheep, whatever it takes to prevent dropping your standards to PBR or something. My normal operational range is usually confined to Georgia, but I can make a run up as far north as Pearisburg if it's an emergency.

Mags
02-13-2007, 14:28
Besides, what's wrong with 1Pint preferring good beer to undrinkium? Yeah, I know the odds are against her, but what the heck, at least she's putting up a good fight.

Indeed. Upholding your core beliefs (and drinking GOOD beer is a very admirable core belief!), is something at all trail hikers should aspire to. But, can temptation be turned down? Will the hot, sticky weather cause a Bud to drank?

All temptations that occur on the Pilgrims path (Though, I don't think Bunyan had PBR in mind as a burden...)

Now, 1Pint, of course you can wager. I'll make the bet simple (I'm a simple guy, afterall).

If you can make the whole trip without succumbing to the temptation of a cheap beer, I'll somehow find a way to get out a 12 pack of Fat Tire to you post trail. Colorado's most well known (and very yummy) microbrew.

OTOH, if a PBR/Bud/Cooors/Nattie Light/Whatever touches your lips...you send ME a 12 pack of Ohio's best brew. (Surely, Ohio has some sort of microbrew ??!?!) I may drink cheap beer on a hot Wyoming day... But OFF TRAIL, only the good stuff for me. :)

Whaddaya say? A bet of beer! Better than the Minn. Smith thread..better than "American Folk Heroes" laying down odds for a sub-40 hike. ;)

Jim Adams
02-13-2007, 18:28

Littlest Hobo,
I do alot of Canadian canoeing and when I go, there is a beer store in Ontario that will trade me case for case, any beer in stock for Rolling Rock beer.
I don't understand why. It is a cheap local beer from Pennsylvania and I can't stand the taste. The Beer Store owner tells me that he has alot of local customers that tasted it on hunting trips to Pennsylvania and can't get enough. Works for me! We can cross the border legally with 1 case per person and always do.:confused:

:cool: Personally I prefer the 12%-14% beer that my nephew brews from pumpkin or raspberry.
If you two are hiking this year, Littlest Hobo and 1Pint, I will bring you each a sample to the trail. I love microbrew beer but this stuff will spoil you!:)

geek

Gray Blazer
02-13-2007, 19:06
How 'bout some Billy Beer? YUUuummmm.........doh! They have some unopened cans on ebay. As for my favorite....whatever's offered to me.

emerald
02-13-2007, 19:23
If I'm drinking it, it better be good. And despite the old Mexican saying "hunger is the best sauce," I've survived for months without drinking your favorite crap and I'll continue right on doing so. Hey, we're all allowed to be snobs in 1 area of our lives.;) And this is my 1 high-maintenance snob area.

I just drank an Old Jubilation Ale brewed by Avery Brewing Company in Boulder, Colorado. I'm now working on a Midnight Wit contract brewed by Appalachian Brewing Company for Legacy Brewing Company in Reading, yes, that's The Green Diamond, PA.:D

1-up on 1Pint, the A.T.'s malt beverage snob. You couldn't handle 1, let alone both, after 20 miles of Pennsylvania's pointy rocks.:D

So don't even start with me!:D

dperry
02-14-2007, 12:02
Littlest Hobo,
I do alot of Canadian canoeing and when I go, there is a beer store in Ontario that will trade me case for case, any beer in stock for Rolling Rock beer.
I don't understand why. It is a cheap local beer from Pennsylvania and I can't stand the taste. The Beer Store owner tells me that he has alot of local customers that tasted it on hunting trips to Pennsylvania and can't get enough. Works for me! We can cross the border legally with 1 case per person and always do.:confused:

As they used to say in Rome, "De gustibus non disputandum.":rolleyes:

Jimmers
02-14-2007, 12:13
There's truly no accounting for taste. Rolling Rock? I think the last time I drank that swill I was in high school. Beggars can't be choosers.

Well, they can, but they eventually starve or die of thirst.

Littlest Hobo
02-14-2007, 12:23
Littlest Hobo,

geek

Don't worry - give us your one case of Rolling Rock. We've managed to fool Americans by exporting thousands of cases of Labatt Blue into the US and convincing you that it is some sort of classy import. Hey, it worked for the Dutch...

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 12:25
Don't worry - give us your one case of Rolling Rock. We've managed to fool Americans by exporting thousands of cases of Labatt Blue into the US and convincing you that it is some sort of classy import. Hey, it worked for the Dutch...

And look at the idiots that drink that Guinness sludge.:cool:

Jim Adams
02-14-2007, 12:28

Good point but have you ever tasted Rolling Rock?
Usually Labatt is also not my choice but I will drink it over R.R. EVERYTIME!:D
geek

rafe
02-14-2007, 12:30

Yeah, and I kinda like it. It sure beats Genesee (http://www.history.rochester.edu/class/beer/genny.htm). ;)

But I was never a conni-sewer of beer.

Littlest Hobo
02-14-2007, 12:31
Usually Labatt is also not my choice but I will drink it over R.R. EVERYTIME!:D
geek

Never had the (dis)pleasure. At least I know what to avoid in 08!

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 12:46
And you snobs that drink that overpriced Corona s**t or any other beer out of Mexico, what's with putting a lemon/lime in it? I know the Mexicans used to run lemom or lime around the bottle top to kill bacteria but if the beer is that bad that you have to put fruit in it then it's time to drink another beer.

rafe
02-14-2007, 12:50
And you snobs that drink that overpriced Corona s**t or any other beer out of Mexico, what's with putting a lemon/lime in it? I know the Mexicans used to run lemom or lime around the bottle top to kill bacteria but if the beer is that bad that you have to put fruit in it then it's time to drink another beer.

Lemonade + beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy) is great. It's a long-standing tradition in England, where they seem to know beer (but have a very different approach to it.) The drink is referred to as Shandy, and it's even sold under that name.

1Pint
02-14-2007, 13:21
I just drank an Old Jubilation Ale brewed by Avery Brewing Company in Boulder, Colorado. I'm now working on a Midnight Wit contract brewed by Appalachian Brewing Company for Legacy Brewing Company in Reading, yes, that's The Green Diamond, PA.:D

1-up on 1Pint, the A.T.'s malt beverage snob. You couldn't handle 1, let alone both, after 20 miles of Pennsylvania's pointy rocks.:D

So don't even start with me!:D

Glad to provide you with an excuse. I'll take blame for someone drinking a good beer any day of the week. :)

and you're right that I probably couldn't handle both... except on very special occassions, I drink for quality, not quantity.

1Pint
02-14-2007, 13:24
And look at the idiots that drink that Guinness sludge.:cool:

I'll give you that on the canned ones but the bottle & draft ones are quite yummy and if you had any drinking taste buds Mr. Wolf, you'd know that!

1Pint
02-14-2007, 13:27

Mexico produces some good stuff. Maybe you just haven't tried it. When I come through Damascus, I'd be happy to buy you a Negro Modelo out of Mexico. Yum!

Don't like Corona, but I do like a nice slice of orange with my Blue Moon. Now that's an everyday kinda beer.

1Pint
02-14-2007, 13:32
if you can find some Young's Oatmeal Porter that's not out of date I'd be in YOUR debt for quite some time.

Haven't seen Youngs Oatmeal Stout. I know my local bar carries their Double Chocolate (haven't had it). I'll keep an eye out.

Let me know if you need in the way of an airdrop; quality beer, sheep, whatever it takes .

You're the best 2Speed! Thanks for the offer! (Hmm...sheep? uh, wrong gender dude, but a merman might be appropriate.... ;) )

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 13:34
(Hmm...sheep? uh, wrong gender dude, but a merman might be appropriate.... ;) )

they sell strap-ons at your local porn shop

Two Speed
02-14-2007, 13:34
Lemonade + beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy) is great. It's a long-standing tradition in England, where they seem to know beer (but have a very different approach to it.) The drink is referred to as Shandy, and it's even sold under that name.I'll second the shandy. Good stuff.

Mexico produces some good stuff. Maybe you just haven't tried it. When I come through Damascus, I'd be happy to buy you a Negro Modelo out of Mexico. Yum!

Don't like Corona, but I do like a nice slice of orange with my Blue Moon. Now that's an everyday kinda beer.Mmmm, Negra* Modelo. It ain't SA Black Lager, but it will fill the bill. Even better, the can looks just like a Coke can when viewed from a distance through a windshield. Not that I would ever drink a beer where it could be viewed through a windshield, just sayin'.

*It is Negra, not Negro, isn't it? :-?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 13:37
It's Negro.

1Pint
02-14-2007, 13:39
they sell strap-ons at your local porn shop

That may be your fantasy :-? , but it's not mine.

Gray Blazer
02-14-2007, 13:41
Mexico produces some good stuff. Maybe you just haven't tried it. Dos Eques (or however you spell it. In English.....2 x's).

1Pint
02-14-2007, 13:42
I'll second the shandy. Good stuff.

Mmmm, Negra* Modelo. It ain't SA Black Lager, but it will fill the bill. Even better, the can looks just like a Coke can when viewed from a distance through a windshield. Not that I would ever drink a beer where it could be viewed through a windshield, just sayin'.

*It is Negra, not Negro, isn't it? :-?

Never had or seen it in a can, only bottles. It's best with the FRESH tacos & salsa bar at Phoenix's Taco Tote. Now that's a good, fast, cheap meal.

1Pint
02-14-2007, 14:02
If you can make the whole trip without succumbing to the temptation of a cheap beer, I'll somehow find a way to get out a 12 pack of Fat Tire to you post trail. Colorado's most well known (and very yummy) microbrew.

OTOH, if a PBR/Bud/Cooors/Nattie Light/Whatever touches your lips...you send ME a 12 pack of Ohio's best brew.

You're on Mags. Cleveland's got a brewery that's not too shabby. If you're at The Gathering in October, you can pay up then. :sun I hope to finish just in time to make it there.

mudhead
02-14-2007, 14:17
Which is worse: Warm Coors Light, or Half-frozen Schaeffer. Or none. But then I prefer Nescafe to "teabag" coffee.

Two Speed
02-14-2007, 14:24
Never had or seen it in a can, only bottles. It's best with the FRESH tacos & salsa bar at Phoenix's Taco Tote. Now that's a good, fast, cheap meal.Available in cans and bottles at the liquor store around the corner from the PRP*. Prefer bottles, but they don't fit well in the little bitty fridge I'm using these days. :mad:

You're on Mags. Cleveland's got a brewery that's not too shabby. If you're at The Gathering in October, you can pay up then. :sun I hope to finish just in time to make it there.OK, now all we have to do is convince some fellow thru-hiker to wait 'til 1Pint's asleep, scatter some MGD cans around, take a photo and Mags wins the bet! :p

*PRP = perpetual remodeling project, AKA home.

emerald
02-14-2007, 17:03
I drink for quality, not quantity.

Me too. Only rarely do I have any in my refrigerator.

When I desire a beer, I look for something I know I will enjoy or try something new I think will appeal to me and usually stop at one pint. Soon after the 1st, it all begins to taste the same and the better stuff isn't worth what it costs anymore.

That's not to say I haven't or wouldn't accept most any kind if someone offerred, so long as it's cold and I'm thirsty!:p

troglobil
02-14-2007, 17:11
I have two favorite types of beer. Cold and free.
But actually, my prefereneces are for a good stout or pale ale

Mags
02-14-2007, 22:34
You're on Mags. Cleveland's got a brewery that's not too shabby. If you're at The Gathering in October, you can pay up then. :sun I hope to finish just in time to make it there.

OK...folks the bet is on! I plan on being at the The Gathering in October. Now..I just have to figure out a way to get 12 bottles of Cleveland beer on the plane... :)

Now about posing some MGD cans while she is asleep.....

emerald
02-14-2007, 22:55
If you can make the whole trip without succumbing to the temptation of a cheap beer, I'll somehow find a way to get out a 12 pack of Fat Tire to you post trail.

Could you post a complete list of unacceptable beverages? I wouldn't want to inadvertantly supply the beverage that would cause 1Pint to lose this bet. She will no doubt be subjected to temptation enough without my help.

smokymtnsteve
02-14-2007, 22:56
dat ole demon alkyhol

Mags
02-14-2007, 23:48
Could you post a complete list of unacceptable beverages?

Good point!

There are so many bad beers out there! PBR, Coors, Bud, MGD, Natty Light, Milwaukee Beast, etc.

Now, as if with you, in the right moment a bad beer is just AWESOME! (See my Wyoming rancher story). But, I guess that's the nature of this bet.

I'll leave it on the honor system. We all know an MGD would be unacceptable for this bet. A Rolling Rock is borderline. Molson is just bad imported beer. :) I leave it up to 1Pint to be true to herself and not drink what she considers to be a "bad beer". :) Call this a friendly wager. We all win as there will be SOME 12 pack at the Gathering (at least until all the beers are gone....)

(Yuenglings are acceptable BTW. Have fun at the Doyle!)

emerald
02-15-2007, 02:18
Good point! There are so many bad beers out there!

I'll leave it on the honor system. I leave it up to 1Pint to be true to herself and not drink what she considers to be a "bad beer". :)

Okay, I like the way in which you've clarified the terms. 1Pint must be true to her own current standards. Whether or not those standards will be relaxed is what the bet is about.

I wondered what your views on Yuengling products might be. Some meet my standards, while others don't incidentally.

freefall
02-15-2007, 02:29

Amen! Yuengling and the Doyle, I can't think of one without it conjuring up the other.

Heater
02-15-2007, 02:32
Mexico produces some good stuff. Maybe you just haven't tried it. When I come through Damascus, I'd be happy to buy you a Negro Modelo out of Mexico.

Or a Bohemia. My other favorite Mexican beer. :)

Heater
02-15-2007, 02:36
Haven't seen Youngs Oatmeal Stout. I know my local bar carries their Double Chocolate (haven't had it). I'll keep an eye out.

The Double Chocolate is good. Probably my favorite.

Two Speed
02-15-2007, 07:02
The Double Chocolate is good. Probably my favorite.Mmmm, Double Chocolate. Most excellent. Unfortunately the distributor in the Metro Atlanta area seems to view prompt shipment and refrigeration as optional, so I haven't been able to find a reliable source of Oatmeal Porter or Double Chocolate around here.

1Pint, my deepest apologies, but if you call for an air drop you may be forced to subsist on Sam Adams Black Lager. I'll check the liquor locker and see if any of the mermen survived the filter imbroglio. Anything special I need to know about packaging them for an air drop? You seem to have an unreasonable objection to fresh sushi.

saimyoji
02-15-2007, 09:44
A little perspective: Bohemia, Modelo are the budweiser and coors of Mexican beer. Tecate, Corona are a step up down there. I say drink what you like, just know that you are paying 10x what its worth. :)

When I drink Mexican beer, there's either a turtle or a whale on the label. :cool:

khaynie
02-15-2007, 12:28
1Pint,
geek

So by this you mean Budweiser is fantastic...or I am missing something...:eek:

1Pint
02-15-2007, 13:21
A little perspective: Bohemia, Modelo are the budweiser and coors of Mexican beer. Tecate, Corona are a step up down there. I say drink what you like, just know that you are paying 10x what its worth. :)

When I drink Mexican beer, there's either a turtle or a whale on the label. :cool:

Oh, oh, me, me!!! (Hand waving in the air.) I want to try!! So, give me some names if you will... I love an excuse to sample a new brewery. And getting a recommendation is my favorite way 'cause at least then I'm less likely to be wasting my money than when I buy a complete unknown. Who's got the turtle and who's got the whale?

1Pint
02-15-2007, 13:24
Anything special I need to know about packaging them for an air drop? You seem to have an unreasonable objection to fresh sushi.

Um, er, just make sure his vitals are protected and he's alive & functional and holding a 6 pack of the lager. That'll be just fabulous, 2Speed! ;)

(and I only object to eating sushi that used to carry on a conversation - not so unreasonable? eh?)

1Pint
02-15-2007, 13:30
Only rarely do I have any in my refrigerator.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I almost always have several different 4- or 6-packs hogging up space on the top shelf of the fridge. :D And I rarely could tell you what's in there because at least 2 of them will be ones that I'm trying out for the first time. It's hard to learn all those breweries and styles.

emerald
02-15-2007, 17:31
I almost always have several different 4- or 6-packs hogging up space on the top shelf of the fridge.

Maybe you do have discipline enough to win your bet with Mags!:o

:-? Your friends don't come by and drink it all before you do?

Wait a minute... Something doesn't sound right here!:D

Mags
02-15-2007, 17:43
Maybe you do have discipline enough to win your bet with Mags!:o

I'm getting bit worried myself. I just may have to figure out how to get a 12 pack of Fat Tire (http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_ft.php) aboard my flight in October...

I keep my word, though. :)

Mags
02-15-2007, 17:50
Amen! Yuengling and the Doyle, I can't think of one without it conjuring up the other.

Like peanut butter and jelly...they just go so well together.

Hmm... been far too long since I've been to the Doyle!

$10, a threadbare blanket, a bare bulb...and *good*, cheap beer! :banana

Sly
02-15-2007, 19:32
Yeah Mags, it's been awhile. I think it cost $20 to stay there now.

Jim Adams
02-15-2007, 20:17
I'm getting bit worried myself. I just may have to figure out how to get a 12 pack of Fat Tire (http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_ft.php) aboard my flight in October...

I keep my word, though. :)

Don't know if this would work for you or not Mags but in 2002 Chicken Man got a surprise box in the mail at Hot Springs. When he opened it, it contained a small cooler with 12 ice cold cans of beer (still had ice). The cooler was sealed shut with duct tape, packaged and marked "up" and sent 2nd day delivery. It was sent by his ex-girl friend. It was soooo good to have a cold beer at the P.O. and very thoughtful of her but it didn't work---he never saw her again!;)

geek

Mags
02-15-2007, 20:33

Almost 9 years. :( How time flies.....

As long as the beer and threadbare blankets are still there!

1Pint
02-15-2007, 20:34
:-? Your friends don't come by and drink it all before you do?

Yeah, my roommate and at least one of his friends like to sample a little more than they contribute, but it's all good. I just cooked up and ate one of his pizzas last night because I couldn't get to the store through the snow and I didn't feel like cooking. About 20 more pizzas and he'll be caught up.
;)

emerald
02-16-2007, 05:46
Someday, 1Pint, at least once between Blue Moons, before you grow too old to care, for a "guaranteed hoppy ending," try a Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale (http://www.yardsbrewing.com/ales.html). It will put a smile on your face and you will be glad you did.

Jester2000
02-16-2007, 18:46
Like peanut butter and jelly...they just go so well together.

Hmm... been far too long since I've been to the Doyle!

$10, a threadbare blanket, a bare bulb...and *good*, cheap beer! :banana

Yep. Twenty Bucks. On the one hand, the beds are new, the heaters work, the walls are painted, the rooms are cleaned, and, my god man, there's wall art! On the other hand, I have five completely different fingers. . .Pat & Vickey are doing a great job with the place.

Plus I had a wicked brew from Appalachian Brewing Company last time I was there. Yum!

emerald
02-16-2007, 19:51
Plus I had a wicked brew from Appalachian Brewing Company last time I was there.

If you've never visited their website (http://www.abcbrew.com/harrisburg/index.htm) you should. A Billville tour of their brewery wouldn't be a bad idea if ya'll want to do something offsite.

Be sure to check out the A.T.-appropriate names of some of their brews.

Skyline
02-17-2007, 09:42
Yep. Twenty Bucks. On the one hand, the beds are new, the heaters work, the walls are painted, the rooms are cleaned, and, my god man, there's wall art! On the other hand, I have five completely different fingers. . .Pat & Vickey are doing a great job with the place.

Plus I had a wicked brew from Appalachian Brewing Company last time I was there. Yum!

Damn! The Doyle is soon going to be in the high rent district! Don't y'all just hate gentrification? :-)