PDA

View Full Version : Which Tarptent?

stuco
02-09-2007, 19:36
I'm looking at the Squall 2 and the Rainbow. This will be for me most of the time but will share with girlfriend from time to time, so I need to be able to sleep two.

My big question is how tight is it with two people in the rainbow?

Anybody who can describe the room inside these tents, I would appreciate it.

stuco
02-09-2007, 19:40
Also, in the description, the squall 2 is listed at 32oz and comparison it's listed at 34oz, close enought to the rainbow that I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-09-2007, 19:46
The male dino and I couldn't sleep in a single rainbow, but we are old and 'fluffy'... the Squall weighs 1 more oz, but the width goes from 46" (Rainbow) to 78" tapered to 51" at feet. I'd go with the squall.

stuco
02-09-2007, 19:55
But with the squall you have to use either a pole or treking poles that adds more weight, that's one more thing about it. I guess I could get a walking stick and use that.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-09-2007, 19:57
Are you and you lady friend fairly small? If so, the Rainbow would work. However, if you're 6'4 and 230lbs....

stuco
02-09-2007, 20:03
I'm big she's small

Spork
02-09-2007, 20:14
I have the Squall II which weighs in at 32-33 oz including 6 stakes and stuff bag (provided) and weighs 34 oz if you add the 2 oz. front pole ($5 extra).So if you use trekking poles the tent weighs 32 oz, if you don't it will be 34 oz. I have found it to be a GREAT tent for one or two people with plenty of head room (height), elbow room (width) and gear space (length). It's light enough to carry for solo hikes (a palace for one!) and my wife and I use it comfortably when we hike together. It's easy to set up and good in wind and rain, as well as having pretty good ventilation. While I have never used the rainbow the floorplan indicates it is not as roomy for two. The double rainbow looks really nice but is somewhat heavier. For my money the Squall II is awesome!

Blissful
02-09-2007, 20:50
But with the squall you have to use either a pole or treking poles that adds more weight, that's one more thing about it. I guess I could get a walking stick and use that.

Many hikers I know use trekking poles to hike (they are great on uphills and help the knees on downhills), so that is supposed to be one of the advantages to the tarptents - no extra poles and use something you already have. But Henry sells the extra pole if you need it and don't use trekking poles. The weight is still excellent.

Ewker
02-09-2007, 22:14
The Squall comes with two poles already. One for the front and the curved one for the back. I forgot both poles once on a trip and managed to use my treking poles on the front and rear

stuco
02-09-2007, 23:40
The Squall comes with two poles already. One for the front and the curved one for the back. I forgot both poles once on a trip and managed to use my treking poles on the front and rear

Are you sure, I didn't think the squall had poles except for the front one.

Thanks for the input folks. And anymore would be appreciated.

rafe
02-09-2007, 23:42
(Single) Rainbow might be a tad tight for two adults, but is absolutely palatial for one.

Footslogger
02-09-2007, 23:54
I'm looking at the Squall 2 and the Rainbow. This will be for me most of the time but will share with girlfriend from time to time, so I need to be able to sleep two.

My big question is how tight is it with two people in the rainbow?

Anybody who can describe the room inside these tents, I would appreciate it.

======================================

A big part of this decision is whether you like an end entry or a side entry better. I've owned both and I can tell you that a side entry tent is much easier to get in and out of.

That said ...I would suggest you consider the Rainbow. And, if space is an issue then consider the Double Rainbow.

Another possibility would be the Lunar Solo-e or the new Lunar Duo from Six Moon Designs.

'Slogger

Ewker
02-10-2007, 00:05
Are you sure, I didn't think the squall had poles except for the front one.

here is what came with the Squall (not my picture)

Spork
02-10-2007, 08:44
Actually, according to Henry's site the Squall II comes standard with the rear pole (which creates the rear arch as pictured top left), four stakes, stake bag and stuff sack. I purchased 2 more stakes for inclement weather. This makes up the stated 32/33 oz. The front pole(s) no longer come standard probably because most people set up using their trekking pole(s), but are available @ $5 for 1 or $9 for 2, (see dropdown menu under Ordering) adding 2 oz per pole. With the way the front entry is designed I have never found getting in or out to be inconvenient, although admittedly a side entry tent like the double rainbow is probably even easier especially since it has double doors.

http://www.tarptent.com/photos/ttallmodels07_1.jpg

Big Dawg
02-10-2007, 10:39
Stuco, I'd consider the Double Rainbow,,,, a little heavier, at 2 & 1/2 lbs,,, but well worth it in my opinion, especially for 2 people. All of Henry's tarptents are great in their own respect, but the Rainbow & Double Rainbow have great "sit-up" room, among many other great features. I own the DR, and love it. I'm big, at 6'5" & 270 lbs. It's by far the best tent I've ever owned.

Feel free to PM me, or ask in this post, if you have any more specific questions

Ewker
02-10-2007, 12:50
Actually, according to Henry's site the Squall II comes standard with the rear pole (which creates the rear arch as pictured top left), four stakes, stake bag and stuff sack. I purchased 2 more stakes for inclement weather. This makes up the stated 32/33 oz. The front pole(s) no longer come standard probably because most people set up using their trekking pole(s), but are available @ $5 for 1 or $9 for 2, (see dropdown menu under Ordering) adding 2 oz per pole. With the way the front entry is designed I have never found getting in or out to be inconvenient, although admittedly a side entry tent like the double rainbow is probably even easier especially since it has double doors.

http://www.tarptent.com/photos/ttallmodels07_1.jpg

When I bought mine you got the front pole. I have only used it once and that was to seam seal the tarptent. Right before the Squall II was introduced Henry put the Squall on sale. I got a great product at a reduced cost.

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2007, 21:32
Because the Rainbow is arched, you can sit up from a lying position without touching the walls or taking any special precautions. It's also very easy to change clothes in it. It is too small for two, in my opinion, unless you are sharing it with someone with whom you are intimate, but it would be perfect for two under those circumstances, especially if you could zip your bags together or use a quilt.

hopefulhiker
02-12-2007, 22:25
Squall 2, or the Double Rainbow...

stuco
02-12-2007, 22:53
Squall 2, or the Double Rainbow...

The double rainbow is just too heavy I'm afraid

stuco
02-12-2007, 22:56
I like the double entry feature of the rainbow and the sit up room but it seems the squall 2 is probably the best in terms of space/weight. Why did they quit making the virga?(or did they?)

hopefulhiker
02-12-2007, 22:58
The Squall is one of the best options, best weight to space ratio.. You can get two people in there... and store some gear under the beaks... Check out the tarptent.com
It shows the dimensions...

Heater
02-12-2007, 23:42
I like the double entry feature of the rainbow and the sit up room but it seems the squall 2 is probably the best in terms of space/weight. Why did they quit making the virga?(or did they?)

I did not see it on the website. It's my impression that the Virga has been replaced by the Contrail.

Any Contrail owners out there? :-?

pyroman53
02-13-2007, 00:02
Just tried out my new Contrail this weekend and it's do bomb. Lightest of the light. If you're packin light, by the time you unpack the sleeping stuff, fill up the pillow stuff sack for the night, put on the evening clothes, and leave the stove and kitchen stuff outside, there's not much left in the pack that goes under your feet when sleeping. No need for vestibules or extra space. Its all I need in a 4 x 14 inch, 24 oz. package. Life is good!

stuco
02-13-2007, 00:07
Does the contrail feel roomy inside? for one that is

pyroman53
02-13-2007, 00:25
Not roomy...just adequate. I wouldn't want more. Can put my boots, and extra clothes on one side, and plenty of room for me. And I can sit up and bend over to reach things at the foot of the tent easily...just the right slope of the roof, (I'm 6'3"). There's some room to stash stuff back there too. Being a former tarp guy, the TT is most of the stuff I liked about tarping, with half the footprint and no need to find the perfect spot between two trees! Set up in 5 minutes (they say I'll get down to 2 minutes and I believe em).

Buckles
02-13-2007, 01:32

I have a Squall2 and a Double Rainbow. The DR is now my primary. It's going on my thru-hike this year. Both have been in the pack for long hauls. The difference in weight is such a trifle I can't tell the difference. The DR's benefits are worth it to me.

hshires
02-13-2007, 13:57
.. It's my impression that the Virga has been replaced by the Contrail.

Yes, the Virga and Virga 2 have gone on to a warm, scenic, and bug-free meadow in the sky...

The Contrail is the replacement. It's roomier, lighter, packs smaller, has more pitch options, and the only moving part is the zipper.

-H

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-13-2007, 14:12
Henry, any chance you would be willing to make the pattern for the Virga and Virga 2 public as you did with the original tarptent?

hshires
02-13-2007, 14:34
Henry, any chance you would be willing to make the pattern for the Virga and Virga 2 public as you did with the original tarptent?

Nope, sorry. Two reasons: one is that each is either patented (Squall/Virga) or patent pending (Squall 2/Virga 2). The second, bigger reason is that both have complex curves in several places and the only reasonable way to release such patterns would be full-size (8' x 5' patterns) printouts. Even then, it's quite tricky to line everything up correctly--folding and sewing curves with multiple fabric layers is tough--and most people would screw it up the first time out. That would be bad for them and bad for me on multiple fronts.

-H

Heater
02-13-2007, 14:44
Yes, the Virga and Virga 2 have gone on to a warm, scenic, and bug-free meadow in the sky...

The Contrail is the replacement. It's roomier, lighter, packs smaller, has more pitch options, and the only moving part is the zipper.

-H

Why is the contrail listed as 3 season and the Ranbows listed as 3+ season?

The contrail looks like it could be pitched with the edges all the way to the ground whereas the Rainbows cannot. My guess would be the load bearing aspect of the Rainbows arched design as opposed to the Tarp-like pitch pitch of the Contrails.

hshires
02-13-2007, 14:56
Why is the contrail listed as 3 season and the Ranbows listed as 3+ season?

The contrail looks like it could be pitched with the edges all the way to the ground whereas the Rainbows cannot. My guess would be the load bearing aspect of the Rainbows arched design as opposed to the Tarp-like pitch pitch of the Contrails.

Yes, that's correct. The Rainbow/Double Rainbow will handle a lot more snow-loading. The Contrail will be fine in light snowfalls but you'll need to spend more time reaching up and knocking snow off the roof. For Contrail snow use, best strategy is the lower the rear end--fold in the struts on the '06 model and/or elevator the canopy down the struts on the '07 model.

Franco
02-13-2007, 18:42
Stuco
get the Double Rainbow, your girl will thank you for that.
Yes I know that you think it's heavy but the advantages will "outweigh" that.
Double entry : no need to wake the other one up for the night relief.
cross ventilation on a hot night
leave the vestibules tied up and get a tarp like all around view
Double vestibule : twice the storage space
under wind driven rain you can choose the side to cook under ( warning :cooking in or around a tent can be dangerous and should never be attempted when intoxicated, than again you should drink at home, save weight)

If you are stuck on a rainy day the floor space and headroom of the DR will allow you to play cards/dice games, read and toss about without driving yourselves nuts.
Regards
Franco
The Contrail : Henry already mentioned the good bits. I still prefer the Rainbow but having spent numerous nights in the Contrail I have to say that it's much better than most solo tents I have seen and used. I realise that most are made in China, however not many westerners will fit inside comfortably, have a look at the Marmot Eos for a good example of that. Today I should be getting the new ULA Amp to match the TT colour scheme.( including the yellow stripe missing on the Contrail) Because of the diminutive size of the pack I will likely use the Contrail with that for overnighters.
BTW the set up time to beat for the Contrail is still mine, 70 sec.
No cheating with this, you have to start with the Contrail inside the stuff sack without having the pegs in place or their position marked. The tent needs to be nice and taught to qualify.

Big Dawg
02-13-2007, 20:54
Stuco
get the Double Rainbow, your girl will thank you for that.
Yes I know that you think it's heavy but the advantages will "outweigh" that.
Double entry : no need to wake the other one up for the night relief.
cross ventilation on a hot night
leave the vestibules tied up and get a tarp like all around view
Double vestibule : twice the storage space
under wind driven rain you can choose the side to cook under ( warning :cooking in or around a tent can be dangerous and should never be attempted when intoxicated, than again you should drink at home, save weight)

If you are stuck on a rainy day the floor space and headroom of the DR will allow you to play cards/dice games, read and toss about without driving yourselves nuts.
Regards
Franco

I couldn't agree more!!! What's an extra 1/2 pound between 2 people for the luxury & amenities of the DR.

stuco
02-13-2007, 22:12
I couldn't agree more!!! What's an extra 1/2 pound between 2 people for the luxury & amenities of the DR.

Well it's a lot when I'm backpacking solo for long distances and only need to be able to sleep 2 about 20% of the time.

rafe
02-13-2007, 22:17
Well it's a lot when I'm backpacking solo for long distances and only need to be able to sleep 2 about 20% of the time.

In that case get the "regular" Rainbow.

stuco
02-13-2007, 22:23
In that case get the "regular" Rainbow.

Have you been inside a rainbow? Anybody who has exactly how "close" do you end up being with your sleeping partner?

rafe
02-13-2007, 22:52
Have you been inside a rainbow? Anybody who has exactly how "close" do you end up being with your sleeping partner?

Been inside, but not with a partner. This (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/tarptent/IMG_0396.jpg) photo might give an idea of the interior room (or maybe not.) Several more photos of the tent here (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/tarptent/). (Though the tub floor was not set up properly, as I discovered later.)

stuco
02-13-2007, 23:12
Hmm seems kinda tight for two but maybe not. Argh. good pics though

rafe
02-13-2007, 23:29
Hmm seems kinda tight for two but maybe not. Argh. good pics though

Bottom line for me: it's a lot of floor space and a lot of height for 32 oz.

Buckles
02-13-2007, 23:49
Not even a 1/2 pound. It's a difference of 6 ounces and a lot of benefits (as previously pointed out). Looks like enough input to make your own decision.

Big Dawg
02-14-2007, 09:51

Stuco,, we'll have to agree to disagree. An extra 8 ounces is not a lot of weight,, especially for one of the big 4. Although, I believe in HYOH, so I respect your decision. Go w/ a Golite poncho tarp, I believe it's 10 ozs, and would suffice for 2 people in a pinch,, considering weight is an issue.

Critterman
02-14-2007, 13:35
I had a simular type of tent years ago from Eureka and it was a pain in the #$% to get the poles down the sleeves as the pole connections would snag the sleeve.
The other thing that was a pain sometimes was the pole was very long and it was difficult to manipulate in areas with alot of trees etc.
Have you Rainbow owners had simular problems?

stuco
02-14-2007, 14:14
Stuco,, we'll have to agree to disagree. An extra 8 ounces is not a lot of weight,, especially for one of the big 4. Although, I believe in HYOH, so I respect your decision. Go w/ a Golite poncho tarp, I believe it's 10 ozs, and would suffice for 2 people in a pinch,, considering weight is an issue.

Yes, I know it's not a VERY substantial amount of weight, but a big part of the reason I'm upgrading to a tarptent is to get as light as possible. I will admit the double rainbow looks very,very comfortable though.

stuco
02-14-2007, 14:15
Not even a 1/2 pound. It's a difference of 6 ounces and a lot of benefits (as previously pointed out). Looks like enough input to make your own decision.

Yes, I can make a decision, but getting feedback from people who have actually used these tents is a huge benefit.

rafe
02-14-2007, 14:17
I had a simular type of tent years ago from Eureka and it was a pain in the #$% to get the poles down the sleeves as the pole connections would snag the sleeve.
The other thing that was a pain sometimes was the pole was very long and it was difficult to manipulate in areas with alot of trees etc.
Have you Rainbow owners had simular problems?

The ridge pole on the Rainbow is quite long. I haven't had the tent for all that long but I can see where some care will be required. This is one big advantage for tents that use a "clip" design (Tarptents are not in that league.) Key with poles like that is to push them through the sleeve, rather than try to pull.

hshires
02-14-2007, 14:41
The ridge pole on the Rainbow is quite long. I haven't had the tent for all that long but I can see where some care will be required. This is one big advantage for tents that use a "clip" design (Tarptents are not in that league.) Key with poles like that is to push them through the sleeve, rather than try to pull.

Just a quick note/response about clips vs. sleeves. There are advantages and disadvantages to both solutions. The upside to clips is/can be speed though it's measured in seconds, certainly not in minutes. Another potential upside to clips is that they potentially limit fabric damage in the case of pole snaps. A downside to clips (and upside to sleeves) is maximal use of space. You lose a couple of inches of height/width with a a clip system that you don't with sleeves. That's a big one for someone who cares about maximing volume/weight ratios. Clips also don't support the fabric as well as sleeves since support is only as good as the distance between clips and each clip location puts much more stress on the fabric than anywhere along an equivalent sleeve. Clips do provide an easy design solution for double-wall shelters because they ensure that the "inner" hangs below the fly surface draped over the pole skeleton.

-H

rafe
02-14-2007, 14:45
FWIW, Henry -- my post wasn't meant as a criticism at all. So far, I'm loving the Rainbow. I agree 100% with the points you make in Msg. #46.

hshires
02-14-2007, 16:30
FWIW, Henry -- my post wasn't meant as a criticism at all. So far, I'm loving the Rainbow. I agree 100% with the points you make in Msg. #46.

No criticism taken, just wanted to give my 2 cents about clips vs. sleeves. As for setting up the Rainbow, the trick is to "aim down" as you insert the pole into the sleeve. Lay the strut/apex at ground level and push the pole diagonally downward from the sleeve entrance at elbow level. The pole will slide under the strut much more easily that way. Once past the strut, it's easy from there.

-H

Spork
02-14-2007, 18:24
Yes, I know it's not a VERY substantial amount of weight, but a big part of the reason I'm upgrading to a tarptent is to get as light as possible. I will admit the double rainbow looks very,very comfortable though.

Be careful Stuco, once you buy a Tarptent it's like eating one potato chip - it's starts an obsession for more! (I think Henry puts something addictive into the fabric) Next thing you know, you'll own the one person Tarptent AND the two person Tarptent and you'll find yourself waiting for the next lighter and more innovative models to come out!!! Then it's on to Tarptent rehab and Tarptents Anonymous... Have fun choosing, they're all great!:D

Franco
02-14-2007, 19:05
To set up a tent with a ridge pole in a confined space and thus avoiding pocking the eyes out of your neighbor all you have to do is to assemble only half of the pole, a third if you must, shove that into the sleeve and before the last assembled section goes in, engage the other half.
I assembled the Rainbow free standing style inside my bedroom this way.
Don't you guys ever experiment with your gear ?
Franco

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2007, 21:31
Getting the pole through the sleeve on the Rainbow is NOT a problem at all. Do it three times and you can do it with your eyes closed.

If you are only going to be 2 in the tent 20% of the time, and you can have bags that zip together, get the single Rainbow. If you "cuddle" while you're sleeping, it won't be a problem.

whykickamoocow
02-17-2007, 01:09
Whilst we are on the topic of tarptents, i thought id add my question. Im not a big fan of hiking poles, just dont work for me, i love to swing my arms from side to side. That being said, which is the best tarptent to use if you dont have a set of hiking poles, i know you can get extra poles from hshires. I was thinking about the Rainbow, but im a bit confused if you dont have hiking poles do you need to acquire some extra poles. I was pretty much getting it straight in my mind that i would purchase a rainbow for my 2008 thru hike, but now this new contrail has thrown a spanner in the works.

stuco
02-17-2007, 01:24
Whilst we are on the topic of tarptents, i thought id add my question. Im not a big fan of hiking poles, just dont work for me, i love to swing my arms from side to side. That being said, which is the best tarptent to use if you dont have a set of hiking poles, i know you can get extra poles from hshires. I was thinking about the Rainbow, but im a bit confused if you dont have hiking poles do you need to acquire some extra poles. I was pretty much getting it straight in my mind that i would purchase a rainbow for my 2008 thru hike, but now this new contrail has thrown a spanner in the works.

If you don't use hiking poles you simply buy a lightweight pole along with your tent and you're good to go. as with the contrail, squall 2

With the rainbow, I think it comes with poles (to form the arch) and you can either use hiking poles to make it freestanding or stake it out.

whykickamoocow
02-17-2007, 02:01
thank you stuco, no matter how simple the questions, people are so kind with their answers, im new to this site and it is just great

Franco
02-17-2007, 05:21
Hi Whyindeed....
Since you are not a fan of the sticks, get the Rainbow. The advantage of the Contrail is in the weight and packet size, in fact you can easily stuff it inside most bags. However if you need to get a pole those two points are negated.
Franco

Franco
02-17-2007, 05:32
Whykickamoocow
I have just noticed that you are not too far from me, if you are interested I can show you both the Contrail and the Rainbow. I'll be around the Grampians next week but I'll be back on Friday afternoon let me know. I'm in Port Melbourne.
Franco

hopefulhiker
02-17-2007, 10:20
If you are going to be sleeping alone 80% of the time I would not carry the extra weight... There are shelters and you might be able to cowboy camp some....

whykickamoocow
02-17-2007, 11:12
Franco, port melbourne is not far away at all, ill be travelling up and down to RMIT most days from monday week. Id love to have a look at these tarptents. Do you do much hiking?

Franco
02-17-2007, 17:51
PM sent.
Franco

Franco
02-17-2007, 18:04
Since I contributed to the hijacking of your thread, here is a picture of the Rainbow with two mats inside. As you can see they fit , but once again unless your girlfriend is mad keen at going hiking and really likes leaning against you, I would not recommend it.
You will notice in the second picture that Franco the roo had trouble deciding if there was enough space in there and he was only three months old then.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/2-person.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Longer-than-my-tail.jpg

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-18-2007, 09:20
::: thread jack:::
Franco, do you have a pet kangaroo?
::: end thread jack :::

stuco
02-18-2007, 21:15
Since I contributed to the hijacking of your thread, here is a picture of the Rainbow with two mats inside. As you can see they fit , but once again unless your girlfriend is mad keen at going hiking and really likes leaning against you, I would not recommend it.
You will notice in the second picture that Franco the roo had trouble deciding if there was enough space in there and he was only three months old then.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/2-person.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Longer-than-my-tail.jpg

Thanks for the pics

mts4602
10-21-2008, 12:45
Franco

I know this is an old thread, but do you really have a kangaroo?

Where can I get one of those?:-?

Franco
10-21-2008, 18:12
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Wombat.jpgHi all
Obviously I forgot to reply to this thread, sorry Renee
No, I don't have a pet kangaroo, as with most local fauna you cannot keep them in captivity. That particular one was an orphan that friends of mine were raising to release back into the wild. They did that for a few years having a good success rate. Their camping ground had three different mobs ( a bunch of roos) visiting as well as emus. They are now in Western Australia working for an Aboriginal community. My wife is currently in that area , she is the only "white" person in an closed Aboriginal community of 30 ( we are both colour blind)
Kangaroos, BTW, are very common , if there is water they can reproduce 3 times a year .
My favourite animal at the moment is the wombat. Did a hike recently in an area were they are plentiful and spotted this one during the day ( they are nocturnal)
Hard to tell (wide angle lens in use) but I am standing less than six feet away, is burrow is a couple of feet to his right.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Francoandwombat.jpg

mudhead
10-27-2008, 10:46
Good view of the claws. I have only seen one in the San Diego Zoo. They look all cuddly, but I figure they are like the footage I saw of a netted koala.

Marta
10-27-2008, 11:54
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Wombat.jpgHi all
Obviously I forgot to reply to this thread, sorry Renee
No, I don't have a pet kangaroo, as with most local fauna you cannot keep them in captivity. That particular one was an orphan that friends of mine were raising to release back into the wild. They did that for a few years having a good success rate. Their camping ground had three different mobs ( a bunch of roos) visiting as well as emus. They are now in Western Australia working for an Aboriginal community. My wife is currently in that area , she is the only "white" person in an closed Aboriginal community of 30 ( we are both colour blind)
Kangaroos, BTW, are very common , if there is water they can reproduce 3 times a year .
My favourite animal at the moment is the wombat. Did a hike recently in an area were they are plentiful and spotted this one during the day ( they are nocturnal)
Hard to tell (wide angle lens in use) but I am standing less than six feet away, is burrow is a couple of feet to his right.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Francoandwombat.jpg

Thanks for sharing these photos!

Uncle Tom
10-27-2008, 12:06
I use the Double Rainbow. I am 6'2" . My wife joins me in it when we backpack and she uses it when she backpacks alone. It is also freestanding with Leki poles, which takes a bit of schooling to set up correctly, but I finally figured it out. I like the extra space when alone, and it is light. It has held up well after my thru-hike. I used it from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin and my wife ued it this year from Springer to he Shenandoahs. I have not seen anything that comes close. I recommend the Double over the single, as the extra weight is well worth the extra space.

Lyle
10-27-2008, 12:32

I don't own any Tarptents, but I do enjoy reading about them. I currently use a SixMoon Wild Oasis and Gossamere Gear's The One. Neither would work as a shelter for two. I will make one suggestion tho' for you to consider.

Depending on how tight finances are, what about buying whatever one-man suits you, and a Double Rainbow. When your GF comes out to hike, she brings the DR with her and you leave or bounce your solo tent ahead. When she leaves, you go back to your solo. best of both worlds.

Edit: Just noticed how old this thread is. Guess my suggestion is kinda pointless, oh well. Gotta pay closer attention. :D

D'Artagnan
10-27-2008, 16:20
I'm glad this thread was resurrected. I have been considering a Rainbow or a Double Rainbow and this has been a great help.

Pootz
10-27-2008, 16:35
My girlfriend have a squall 2, a rainbow and a double rainbow. As you can see we like tarp tents. All 3 are nice tents and we use them for different purposes.

You will both fit nicely in a squall 2 but you will have trouble if you get much condensation. The foot area is to small to keep from hitting the sides with your sleeping bags.

A rainbow would be very tight for 2 people people. You could pull it off if you keep your gear outside and sleep really close

The double Rainbow is a good tent for 2 people and only 7-10 oz more is well worth the weight. We are able to both fit in the double rainbow with all of our gear inside.

TumbledownDick
10-29-2008, 06:21
Depending on how tight finances are, what about buying whatever one-man suits you, and a Double Rainbow.

I'll second that. I have a Hubba, Contrail, and Double Rainbow. The DR is great as a one person or two person tent and with Tarpents on sale it's a great time to pick one up.