PDA

View Full Version : Platypus leaks inside your pack

ncmtns
02-09-2007, 23:30
Besides using a ziplock over the platypus, when you pack it inside, what other means do you use to keep unobserved leaks from getting your pack stuff all wet?

Footslogger
02-09-2007, 23:56
Honestly, I've never had one leak ...and I carried a 1.8 Liter Platy my entire thru in 2003. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I just handle them differently than some hikers. Never used any type of ziplock over the Platy either.

'Slogger

buckowens
02-10-2007, 00:01
The only time I have ever had anything leak is when I did not make sure the cap was on tight. Also, you need to make sure it is in a position where nothing sharp could work its way into it.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-10-2007, 01:33
Just kept mine on the outside of my pack liner (trash compactor bag). I folded the top of the liner over & then tucked it down the front (inside) of the pack so that any water would run off. If my water bladder did leak only my pack would get wet & not the contents. Also made it easy to refill as it was the first thing in my pack when I opened the top.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

TwoForty
02-10-2007, 02:54
I carried 3 2.4L plattys for 3 days in the desert. Actually, I did that twice. No one in our group ever had a leak.

highway
02-10-2007, 09:02
Besides using a ziplock over the platypus, when you pack it inside, what other means do you use to keep unobserved leaks from getting your pack stuff all wet?

Gear is in silnylon bags. I'd miss the water but not get anything wet.

I'd consider Platypus leakage a rare event & hardly warranting much concern until (and IF) it happens

Topcat
02-10-2007, 09:08
i have had it happen on a trip where the cap wasnt secure enough or cross threaded. I was saved by the fact that i had a trashbag for a liner and the platypus was outside the bag. I did have a wet butt and went thirsty though and learned a valuble lesson.

Papa Razzi
02-11-2007, 22:33
The 1 liter platypus I used in 2005 worked great for about 1,000 miles but then developed a slow leak. It wasn't a big deal since I kept my bladder in an outside pocket. A few things got a little damp for a day. I carried a 1 liter bottle as well, so I didn't have to worry about going without water. Luckily the bladders are guaranteed for life so I was able to swap it out in an outfitters. I know a few other hikers that year also had problems after around a thousand miles, but I don't if this is common or if we were just an anomolous group.

mountain squid
02-12-2007, 15:04
Hopefully, all of your gear is in it's own waterproof container.

Regardless, you should find the "unobserved leak" and make some temporary repairs. I've used duct tape. It should help until you can get something new. Aside from a ziplock, a plastic grocery bag will help contain the water.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Blissful
02-12-2007, 21:17
Platypus also has a lifetime warranty if the issue is the bag.
I never had one leak but my hubby did when his tube got bitten off by an animal one night and he improvised. Finally bought him a new set.

Brushy Sage
02-13-2007, 20:46
I have been storing mine in the freezer between hikes and/or work trips. A few weeks ago I noticed it was leaving some dampness in my backpack, and I couldn't see where the leak was. One morning, though, when I tightened the cap, it (the cap) developed a visible crack. I think I was not letting it thaw out enough before I filled the platypus and tightened the cap. I haven't replaced the tube yet, and am doing fine with a water bottle.

esmithz
02-15-2007, 22:39
I've been hiking with the same 3 liter Platypus for 10 years. Still going. And never a leak.