PDA

View Full Version : Boots

stickat04
07-23-2003, 11:27
Is It better to buy 2 pair before the start or wait for one pair to fall apart then buy another one the trail.

gravityman
07-23-2003, 12:03
It was our experience (and I don't know of anyone else that had a different experience) that you will most likely want to change footwear on the trail. Unless you have A LOT of experience AND you need a special shoe, you will most likely find your current shoes will not be what you want after 500 miles. And you will probably want to change again after 1200 miles. There are plenty of outfitters along the trail with good choices. You will probably be switching to trail runners if you haven't already.

I think that the best advice that I can give regarding footwear is to visit a sports medicine doctor or podiatrist. At the very least go to someone that makes custom insoles (and I don't mean superfeet!). Get the orthotics if they recommend them. Most likely they will. It will help out with a lot of potential problems. If nothing else, its $250-$300 worth of foot insurance. If the insoles cost less than that, you didn't get custom insoles.

Make sure the boot is plenty wide in the forefoot. This is where most people get in trouble.

Gravity man

Grimace
07-23-2003, 12:21
Majority of long distance hikers experience widneing a lengthening of the feet. My feet grew a size on the trail and haven't gone back. Perhaps those orthotics entioned above alleviate that. I dunno

kank
07-23-2003, 17:30
Grimace: No, you feet will probably "spread out" a size or so whether you wear orthotics or not. This is normal during a long hike.