PDA

View Full Version : clothes

stickat04
07-23-2003, 12:46
I am going to start buying my cloths for 2004 trip.

3 socks
2 sock liners
1 convertable long pant
1 pair of shorts
1 pair long underwear (top and bottoms)
3 underwear (2 for trail 1 to sleep in? )
1 Short sleeve
1 long sleeve
fleece jacket
hat
gloves
Rain pants and jacket

Sound good? leaveing april 1st.

celt
07-23-2003, 17:01
Your list looks a lot like mine, I started April 10th and was very happy. I didn't carry convertatble pants but I think they might have been a nice substitute for my second pair of shorts. The second pair of shorts was just for camp and sleeping. My shorts had liners so I didn't carry underpants for hiking. My long underwear was a heavy weight, very fleecy kind in the beginning. I got a light weight set in mid May. In NH I switched back. Instead of one long sleeve and one short sleeve shirt I had two short (one for hiking and one for camp). If it was very cold I'd hike in my long sleeve underwear shirt, and in camp would wear my camp shirt and a fleece jacket.

smokymtnsteve
07-23-2003, 23:27

mongo
07-24-2003, 00:10
You must be one strong guy. If it is not used every day then I don't use it.

Me

Shorts
Coolmax hiking shirt
2 pairs socks
2 pairs coolmax liners
1 polypro top
1 town shirt (Sportscentre Hawian special)
1 pair long pants (columbia very light)
Fleece top
Marmont Rain Jacket

Thats it. All very light. If I was going through lots of snow then maybe I would take rain pants. First month you may have to deal with some snow but after that it sweat city.

Plus I don't sleep in anything other than my silk sleping bag liner. Allows your chaffing and rashes to dry at night.

Mongo
:banana

Grimace
07-24-2003, 08:40
I'm pretty much on board with what the other people wrote. Your list is good but you'll probably find somethings unnecessary.

I carried in summer months

Polyester shirt short sleeve
kilt
2 pairs hiking socks
1 pair camp sock
midweight long undies top and bottoms
rain jacket

In cold months I added
Extra midsweight long undie top for hiking (i liked a dry one)
lightweight down coat
nylon rain pants
fleece gloves
capilene hat

I carried no undies. They'd get funky after a week and I liked to keep that area as dry as possible.

I only wore the long undies at night and around camp in summer months - mostly for bug protection

MadAussieInLondon
07-24-2003, 09:52
me list for next year reads something like this;

- 1x kilt
- 1pr gaiters
- 1x wicking shirt (my cycling jersey, no rear pocket. awesomely wickingly good heheh)
- 1x wicking tights (my cycling nike dryfit tights)
- 1x convertable zipoff hiking trousers
- 1x longsleeve wind shirt
- 3pr hiking socks
- couple of bandanas
- 1x rain shell
- 1x fleece top
- 1x beanie
- 1x neck warmer
- 1pr gloves

(ive resued some stuff i already had to save cash, eg: my the shirt + tights I use for mountainbiking. these things are no different to any other wicking tops/bottoms you can buy so...)

may or may not take the longjohns (woolen, very light).

and teh last 3 on my list might drop off.. depends...

covers my base/mid/outer layer. underwear is a waste tho. its all commando! (esp with the kilt!)

Grimace
07-24-2003, 12:40
Hey Mad Aussie,

Just curious... What are you going to use the trousers for?

MadAussieInLondon
07-24-2003, 14:21
when the kilt is in the wash ;P hahaha
i could go kilt only, no trousers(+zip off shorts) but i thought that would be tempting fate too much...

MadAussieInLondon
07-25-2003, 03:24
thinking bout it i could wrap myself up in my tent fly while my kilt is doing loops in the washing machine... might get funny looks walking aruond town in a lime green tent fly and nothing else...

Grimace
07-25-2003, 08:24
I say leave the trousers at home. Those trail towns understand hiker's dilemmas with laundry. Just tie your coat around your waist and be done with it. No need to carry an extra .5 lb just for laundry days.

You'll get funny looks in town with the kilt anyway. However, hiking out in CA (JMT) my wife actually started getting jealous at all the attention the 18 yr old girls in yosemite were giving me and my kilt :)

Haiku
07-25-2003, 08:59
I'm going out to the JMT tomorrow (well, beginning hiking on Monday), wearing my kilt! Glad I won't be the only one to have worn one out there. =)

Haiku.

kank
07-25-2003, 19:55
Note to self: make sure to take a kilt to Yosemite.