PDA

View Full Version : I'm keeping a video journal online... Help and advice?

Socrates
02-11-2007, 20:23
I've decided to make video journals during my hike this year with my camera phone. I have a regular journal at http://wwwtrailjournals.com/socrates but I thought this would be fun to do every once in a while as well. The only problem is that I don't know where to put them... youtube? myspace? where? I'm guessing they have limits as to how many videos you can post so any ideas and help in this department would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2007, 20:40
Keep in mind that on the Trail, especially in shared public spaces like shelters or big campsites, it's generally considered OK to take photos of other people, as long as you're not being a pest about it.

I think that actually filming people is another matter; I know that if you had an actual movie camera and were filming people all the time while out there, I'm sure there are some people who might not want to be a part of it.

I'm not sure it's any different because your camera is small and inobtrusive.

I'd be curious to hear some other opinions, and maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think if one is making a film, of any sort, unless you're shooting friends of yours who are totally aware of what you are doing, you should probably either not shoot folks without asking permission, or at the very least, you should let people know that you're filming so that if they don't want to be a part of it, you can refrain from shooting them.

But shooting a film with a tiny camera WITHOUT letting people know you're doing it smacks of voyeurism, and I think sooner or latter you're gonna run into someone who isn't too thrilled about being in your movie.

And obviously, "private" stuff like people changing clothes, skinnydipping,
using a privy, etc. are totally off limits.

I think, Socrates, that a filmed journal could be in interesting project.....God there are enough print ones, and most are pretty lame. But I think you'll have a lot more success if you only shoot people who know what you're doing and want to be a part of the project.

But maybe that's just me.

ed bell
02-11-2007, 21:20
But maybe that's just me.Used to be a video camera was downright impossible to miss. Not true these days. I think the idea is cool, but I'm with Jack in saying be thoughtful when capturing video images of unsuspecting subjects. I would have no problem if asked, but would be a little creeped out if I busted someone taking candid videos of me or anyone I was with out in the woods. I say go with it, but be courteous.:sun

Socrates
02-11-2007, 21:22
HAHA yes, filming will be a public announcement. (I never liked taking pictures of grumpy strangers so I don't think video will be any different.) But mainly this will be a JOURNAL of ME. Other footage will always be filmed with others knowing or they won't be shot and it will only be sent out to those who request a copy for their own memories. And I won't be walking the trail with my camera phone in hand all the time. For 1, I'd rather enjoy the hike than record it. And 2, it uses the phones power pretty quickly. So no worries.

hopefulhiker
02-12-2007, 11:25
I actually agree with Jack on this one...

Socrates
02-12-2007, 13:27
Ok, I decided to go with youtube. They don't have any limits on uploading videos.

Smile
02-12-2007, 13:35
Let us know where we can view them exactly, looking forward to seeing them!

BTW, the address in the first post is incorrect., missing a "."
The right one is: http://www.trailjournals.com/socrates

Well, that one isn't working right now either, but when you log onto TrailJournals.com you can see the pages by scrolling down to your name, not sure if it's my computer.

attroll
02-12-2007, 13:39
Ok, I decided to go with youtube. They don't have any limits on uploading videos.

What will the average size on one of these videos be?

hammock engineer
02-12-2007, 14:13
Which phone do you have? Some of the newer ones have an miniSD/transflash card that you can add to expend memory.

I think a video journal sounds pretty cool. Kind of like my photo one, but with words and moving pics. Mine is going to consist of a lot of photo's taken at arms length.

Let me know and I'll be in a video. I'm usually doing something stupid, falling, or something that gives me a reason to laugh at myself.

Disney
02-12-2007, 15:08
I definetely want to keep up with your journal. I've been waiting for someone to do something like this. My guess is that it will become much more common within a year or two. Post your youtube screen name so I can become a subscriber.

Socrates
02-12-2007, 22:35
What will the average size on one of these videos be?

That will depend on the length of the video. It'll be about 1,000kb or 1mb for every minute and I'm just guessing that I'll be making the entries around 1 to 3 minutes long. I guess it will depend on what's been going on as to how much I'll have to say or show.

Socrates
02-12-2007, 22:39
I definetely want to keep up with your journal. I've been waiting for someone to do something like this. My guess is that it will become much more common within a year or two. Post your youtube screen name so I can become a subscriber.

Just keep an eye out on my journal on trailjournals.com under "socrates". I'll be posting it there on my first journal entry once I work out the bugs. Or anyone who is interested can also email me at [email protected] and I'll update you when I've got it ready.

Socrates
02-12-2007, 22:42
Which phone do you have? Some of the newer ones have an miniSD/transflash card that you can add to expend memory.

It's the Sony Ericsson w810i I have the additional 2gb memory card.

Bloodroot
02-12-2007, 22:45
I think its a pretty cool idea. Another idea would be to use a live webcam to allow internet viewers to watch someone at any time on their thru? Sorta like the Mt. Washington cam you can view at any time.

Ronin
02-12-2007, 22:47
I'm curious, since the subject of video has come up...Did anyone come in contact with Michael Daniel (aka Lion King) when he was shooting his movie "Walking with Freedom" on his thru-hike? I believe he hiked in 2003. I was interested to know what the reaction was to him filming while he was on the Trail.

ed bell
02-12-2007, 22:53
I'm curious, since the subject of video has come up...Did anyone come in contact with Michael Daniel (aka Lion King) when he was shooting his movie "Walking with Freedom" on his thru-hike? I believe he hiked in 2003. I was interested to know what the reaction was to him filming while he was on the Trail.That's a good question. He posts here from time to time so he might very well answer.

Bloodroot
02-12-2007, 22:53
Lion King is on here often. Promoting and extending intenaries for educational seminars.

Earl Grey
02-15-2007, 17:58
Id say upload the videos to youtube and then embed the video into your journal. I dont know if they allow that there because I do my own site (more control, put whatever I want on it). Maybe you should make your own site and not use the myspace of the hiking world?

Fannypack
02-15-2007, 18:46
I'm curious, since the subject of video has come up...Did anyone come in contact with Michael Daniel (aka Lion King) when he was shooting his movie "Walking with Freedom" on his thru-hike? I believe he hiked in 2003. I was interested to know what the reaction was to him filming while he was on the Trail.
here is Lion King's latest jornal entry: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=166841
So he maybe on the trail now hiking.

GlazeDog
02-16-2007, 10:06
See Trailcast ( http://www.trailcast.com/ ) for Squatch's podcast -- or go to the iTunes diretory and search for trailcast there. Squatch made the infamous PCT documentaries called (1)Walk and (2)Still Walking. He's working on a third. It is Trailcast episode #24. He has some good perspective on how to approach the subject of video.

GlazeDog

Knees
02-19-2007, 22:22

I wasn't on the trail in '03, but I ran across LK, Squatch, and the Tell It On The Mountain stuff on the PCT in '06. LK had me do a quick release statement which he captured on video. I only ran into the TIOTM stuff once, and he was doing interview style stuff in town, so it would have been easy to say no. I don't recall Squatch doing releases (He may have been), but again he was very up front about what he was doing. LK and Squatch both had high end video equipment, it was hard to miss and they both seem to try to do the right thing--their business depend on it.

On the home video side of things, Pirate had a camcorder he was using on the AT in '05 (he got some great footage of me failing to throw a bear line). :D Krispy and Janetor were shooting home video on the PCT in '06. Not a big deal with either of them.

Those little digital cameras take pretty good video and a lot of people grab some small video segments.

I'm burned out on hiking video stuff (I find most of it really boring). With that said, If you're letting people know that you're going to be posting stuff online and it floats your boat, more power to you.

DSM5K
05-04-2007, 16:58
I was just wondering if Socrates has posted any videos yet. I'm curious to check 'em out.
- Doctor Space Monkey 5000

Pirate
05-04-2007, 21:19
I have carried a video camera on the trail for two year now and have made two movies. I will video tape you no matter what you say. This is a free country and that means I can film you no matter what you say..
There are 50 cameras set up all through Virginia supplied by the Smithsonian Institue taking your pictures as you hike. Watch where you do go to the toilet, you may be on candid camera.

Ron Haven
05-04-2007, 23:51
I have carried a video camera on the trail for two year now and have made two movies. I will video tape you no matter what you say. This is a free country and that means I can film you no matter what you say..
There are 50 cameras set up all through Virginia supplied by the Smithsonian Institue taking your pictures as you hike. Watch where you do go to the toilet, you may be on candid camera.Pirate has a good camera too.He filmed me and it still works,I reckin or is that why you had to get the 2nd one.:-?

Johnny Swank
05-05-2007, 08:04
I was just wondering if Socrates has posted any videos yet. I'm curious to check 'em out.
- Doctor Space Monkey 5000

It's my understanding that Socrates bailed after about a week on the trail.

Socrates
06-24-2007, 05:30
It's my understanding that Socrates bailed after about a week on the trail.

:mad: Ya gotta love how talk gets around. First of all, I was out there for almost a month. Second, I didn't bail. I left for my own reasons and I already plan to return next year.
Third, yes I did put them on my page, but they came out as crap because it was a camera phone and also because I didn't use it as much as I had wanted to and also because of re-charging issues in-between towns. A lot times, when I probably should have been filming, I forgot I even had the thing. Lessons learned and re-try next year, with phone or camera, not sure.
Here's the link if you want to check them out though...
www.myspace.com/greatdane123 (http://www.myspace.com/greatdane123)

StarLyte
06-24-2007, 08:56
I wasn't on the trail in '03, but I ran across LK, Squatch, and the Tell It On The Mountain stuff on the PCT in '06. LK had me do a quick release statement which he captured on video. I only ran into the TIOTM stuff once, and he was doing interview style stuff in town, so it would have been easy to say no. I don't recall Squatch doing releases (He may have been), but again he was very up front about what he was doing. LK and Squatch both had high end video equipment, it was hard to miss and they both seem to try to do the right thing--their business depend on it.

Tell It On the Mountain was a great video, especially Billy Goat's interview...
http://www.tellitonthemountain.com/media.html

Tha Wookie
06-24-2007, 17:42
Id say upload the videos to youtube and then embed the video into your journal. I dont know if they allow that there because I do my own site (more control, put whatever I want on it). Maybe you should make your own site and not use the myspace of the hiking world?

myspace of the hiking world? Ha!

I guess it does look more like it now they have those tacky banner ads. But those guys deserve to make money, for they have put in a lot of work to the project.

Anyways, Trailjournals predates myspace so it might go the other way really.