PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cozy Materials

Jim Bowie
02-11-2007, 22:53
I am looking to get into freezer bag cooking. I've been reading the FBC site and will use a couple of the recipes on on overnight in New Hampshire this month. If it is what I think it will be, I'll be buying the book the next day.

However, I don't want to spend a ton of money before I'm ready to commit, and that includes the $20 bucks for the foil lined bubble insulation that I've seen in one set of DIY instructions.

My question is, during the winter, will a makeshift fleece cozy (I've got dozens of fleeces hanging around) effectively insulate the bag, or is that insulation the only way to go?

Thanks in advance!

doodah man
02-11-2007, 23:08
JB, I have used dollar store aluminized foam automobile window sunshield material (The roll up kind). With a cheap roll of duct tape, you can make several for a couple of bucks. doodah-man

JJB
02-11-2007, 23:12
J.B.,
Go to Wally World and get one of those reflective silver bubble rap looking things that go in your windshield and a roll of high temp duct tape. You'll have enough material to make 10 for about 8 bucks. Peace. J.J.B.

JJB
02-11-2007, 23:14
you beat me to it:banana . I always wanted to use one of those..........

sarbar
02-12-2007, 01:42
If really cold where you are heading to, borrow an outdoor pipe insulator (the ones you put over the hookup for your garden hose). Works like a charm.
Fleece will work, as will all of the cheapie ways up above ;) Don't sweat it! As long as it retains heat, it will work :)

hopefulhiker
02-12-2007, 07:46
I used my fleece hat for a cozy for a plastic cup, see Sgt Rock's coffee cup. The cup also had a poly pro homemade cover.. This worked but my hat would sometimes get food on it... If I wore the hat at night i worried about critters....

iliketacos
02-12-2007, 07:54
I am using a fleece/wool hat when I do FBC. I have a gazzilion wool hats so carrying an extra hat in my pack is no problem. But, I am working on a FBC cozy with sleeping pad foam but me thinks going with the lighter material is the way to go as a long term solution. As other suggested, a fleece/wool is the way to go in a pinch.

jazilla
02-12-2007, 14:28
Jim, try cooking them at home first. Its a controlled environment and you can rap it in a fleece blanket. Its better to find out at home with a cupboard full that you really don't like a meal. Plus you can fine tune the cooking process. Its always a good idea to practice with your stuff before you go out in the woods and realize you forgot something.

TDale
02-12-2007, 14:50
Get a padded tyvek mailer from the UPSP/UPS/FedEx store. Cheap, durable, multi-purpose.

neo
02-12-2007, 15:20
JB, I have used dollar store aluminized foam automobile window sunshield material (The roll up kind). With a cheap roll of duct tape, you can make several for a couple of bucks. doodah-man

same here,i have bought windshield blockers for a buck at dollar store
and foil duct tape at the hardware store,they make great cheap cozies:cool: neo

Smile
02-12-2007, 15:51
These all work great, and are cheap - great advice! ;)

Nearly Normal
02-12-2007, 18:48
I made a good one from 3 foam drink cozies. Cut and duck tape to whatever shape you want. I also saw a foam faucet insulator used. Lowe's or hardware stores sell these.
Pete

Captn
02-12-2007, 19:16
Walmart sells a knit acrylic hat for $1 that only weighs an ounce.

Makes a great cozy .... and 1 oz is pretty lightweight.