PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe out of Killington?

Jim Bowie
02-11-2007, 23:04
My wife and I are going to spend President's day at the Red Clover Inn in Killington, VT. Instead of wasting money on someone's groomed trails, I figured we should try to get a few section miles in!

We're not looking for anything too crazy on our shoes, so I was wondering how drastic the elevation gain is either North or South bound from VT100. Is it doable on shoes? We're only looking to do a few miles out and back. Would anyone recommend a direction?

Thanks in advance!

rafe
02-12-2007, 00:00
Take the Sherburne Trail (the old AT) from the Inn on the Long Trail (off Rte. 4.) It's a nice mellow ascent, and once you're on the ridge, it's quite flat, for miles. I don't know what the snow situation is like in VT this winter. Snowshoes may not be necessary, but crampons or Yak Trax might be a good thing to have.

Blue Jay
02-12-2007, 00:19
I was just up there. You don't need snowshoes now, but things might change by then. Terrapin's idea is a good one.

Peaks
02-13-2007, 18:16
If your goal is to bag Killington for the winter 4k's, then I suggest that you consider using the Bucklin trail. I understand that's the usual trail used.

Jim Bowie
02-19-2007, 23:42
Well, just got back from Killington, and we didn't get very far! Don't get me wrong, it was awesome, but I was making fresh tracks in 2-4 feet of powder. I got pretty tired quickly, and wifey and I decided to go get our money's worth on the jacuzzi. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

rafe
02-20-2007, 08:56
Well, just got back from Killington, and we didn't get very far! Don't get me wrong, it was awesome, but I was making fresh tracks in 2-4 feet of powder. I got pretty tired quickly, and wifey and I decided to go get our money's worth on the jacuzzi. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Timing is everything. The big snow fell last week. Before then, most of southern New England had little or none.