PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap (NC) to Hwy 64

Egads
02-12-2007, 07:22
Is anyone interested in hiking Deep Gap (NC) to Hwy 64 this weekend?

Egads

Marta
02-12-2007, 07:35
I'm going to be hiking the other way (clockwise around the Standing Indian loop) this weekend. See you out there!

Marta/Five-Leaf

orangebug
02-12-2007, 08:12
How are you getting up to Deep Gap? The road is closed until March. Probably, you will have to park in Backcountry lot near the park, walk up Kimsey Creek Trail and back around to your car.

bobbyray
02-12-2007, 15:12
I may be. I hiked Stecoah Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I want to do another NC section this upcoming wkd. What about the road being closed?

orangebug
02-12-2007, 15:14
Touch base with Ron Havens in Franklin with shuttling and motels. A few weeks ago he found that the FS was locked and gated.

max patch
02-12-2007, 16:37
I may be. I hiked Stecoah Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I want to do another NC section this upcoming wkd. What about the road being closed?

The FS road is scheduled to be closed every year Jan 1 to mid March. Check with the Nantaha Hiking Club to verify.

No big deal; as someone else already said you can park at Standing Indian Campground and hike the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap. About 3.5 miles.

orangebug
02-12-2007, 17:09
A pretty easy section is to park at the BackCountry lot, walk up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, head north on the AT. Sleep near Carter Gap Shelter or Betty Gap (depending on when you get there), walk around past Mt Albert and head back to the parking lot from Glassmine Gap. This is a pretty easy two day walk.

Skidsteer
02-12-2007, 20:36
You can get to Deep Gap from the GA side by hiking the Deep Gap Trail (http://www.georgiahikes.com/trails/trail_disp.asp?id=114).

Egads
02-12-2007, 23:39
Thanks for the tips, any hikers?

orangebug
02-13-2007, 00:01
You can get to Deep Gap from the GA side by hiking the Deep Gap Trail (http://www.georgiahikes.com/trails/trail_disp.asp?id=114).Cripey! That sounds like a really tough hike. Have you done it?

tiamalle
02-13-2007, 00:09
You can get to Deep Gap from the GA side by hiking the Deep Gap Trail (http://www.georgiahikes.com/trails/trail_disp.asp?id=114).Skidster have you been thru there lately? I hiked down thru that old rd about 10 years a go and it was real growd up back then.I also used to go up Eagle Fork to Bly Gap and Hike down to Tate City,Ga near Persimmon,Ga but all those old forest service roads are all grown up now.I would hate to give hikers directions and they get lost.There is an old forest service rd I have used to get to Plum Orchard also.I was up there last year looking at some property for sale by my cousin and it is passable but 300 ft before you get to the trail is real grown up.

Hikerhead
02-13-2007, 00:26
Skidster have you been thru there lately? I hiked down thru that old rd about 10 years a go and it was real growd up back then.I also used to go up Eagle Fork to Bly Gap and Hike down to Tate City,Ga near Persimmon,Ga but all those old forest service roads are all grown up now.I would hate to give hikers directions and they get lost.There is an old forest service rd I have used to get to Plum Orchard also.I was up there last year looking at some property for sale by my cousin and it is passable but 300 ft before you get to the trail is real grown up.

I think Skids was just making a suggestion that there is another trail that is available to Deep Gap. Lenny gave a trail report from last year on that link and he didn't have any problem till close to the top. There's a number on that site to call if anyone has any questions about that trail.

tiamalle
02-13-2007, 00:36
I think Skids was just making a suggestion that there is another trail that is available to Deep Gap. Lenny gave a trail report from last year on that link and he didn't have any problem till close to the top. There's a number on that site to call if anyone has any questions about that trail.Skidster is a great hiker friend and I thought he may have hiked it lately.I will hike it again a little later,but I am wide open trying to get all my projects finished in the next 2 weeks so I can devote a couple of months to the north bound thru's.

Skidsteer
02-13-2007, 07:28
Cripey! That sounds like a really tough hike. Have you done it?

About a dozen times over the last 4-5 years. It's really an easy hike-except for the half-mile of hell in the middle.

Skidster have you been thru there lately? I hiked down thru that old rd about 10 years a go and it was real growd up back then.I also used to go up Eagle Fork to Bly Gap and Hike down to Tate City,Ga near Persimmon,Ga but all those old forest service roads are all grown up now.I would hate to give hikers directions and they get lost.There is an old forest service rd I have used to get to Plum Orchard also.I was up there last year looking at some property for sale by my cousin and it is passable but 300 ft before you get to the trail is real grown up.

I think October or Nov. was when I hiked it last. No problems.

It was dicey back in 2003(?) after the hurricanes hit. I kept running into lost people. It's been cleaned up pretty good since then.