PDA

View Full Version : Get, Cdt, Pnt, Pct

The Solemates
02-12-2007, 10:48
I have been thinking about this for the past few months....and I wondered how long/when the first person would do it. This from Skurka's website...

__________________________________________________ _______

My next BIG hike: The Great Western Loop

The numbers tell half the story: 7,000 miles, 7 months, 12 national parks, 75+ designated wilderness areas, 5 existing long-distance trails, 2 desert traverses, and zero attempts or completions to date.

The other half other half of the story is less quantifiable: the Great Western Loop connects many of the most prized wild lands in America's West, and as such it reflects the health of and dangers to these places, and it is a shared and tangible entity among them that beholds value in excess of the sum of its parts, like the chain of a pearl necklace.

In early-April I will begin the Great Western Loop, in a location and direction that will depend on this winter's snowpack (I'm leaning towards going counter-clockwise, starting near California San Gorgonio Pass). This is going to be an awesome trip! And, to a greater degree than ever, those who wish to will be able to share in the experience via a soon-to-be overhauled AndrewSkurka.com website, Podcasts, and more frequent postings of photos and updates. With this enhanced trip interactivity, I'm hoping to help others develop a stronger connection with the outdoors, which I think is a key component in a much-needed, more eco-friendly lifestyle that emphasizes doing more with less and minimizing one's impact on our planet.

More details will be forthcoming over the next 2 months.