PDA

View Full Version : Went over to the dark side....bought a Jetboil.

Earl Grey
02-12-2007, 17:01
I had been using an alcohol stove for the past 6 months or so but I saw a deal at a local store on a Jetboil and picked it up. I wont go into the details here because you probaly already know about it but im extremely pleased with it with what ive done with it so far. Last night I boiled 2 cups of water in 1 min whereas the alcohol stove took 5-6 at least. Of course this wasnt scientific at all but you get the idea. Another thing I like about it is if its really cold one could set it up extremely fast to heat up some water to stick in your bag. With an alcohol you ahve to pour the liquid light it blah blah blah.

I will most likely end up using it on the trail this summer so long as canisters are available, which from reading posts it seems like theyre not hard to find.

K0OPG
02-12-2007, 17:49
did you get the tall mug-like pot or the regular pot? I have both but the tall one heats much faster. I really haven't used the regular pot yet.

I have used mine many times and I love it. Hope you enoy it.

Smile
02-12-2007, 17:54
Does the cleaning seem harder to you, or do you think that it's a good trade out with one less piece of equipment (i.e. pot, stove, alchohol container.)

I was considering changing over to one as well, but this cleaning thing was a possible issue after watching a few hikers last year.

Earl Grey
02-12-2007, 18:15
Does the cleaning seem harder to you, or do you think that it's a good trade out with one less piece of equipment (i.e. pot, stove, alchohol container.)

I was considering changing over to one as well, but this cleaning thing was a possible issue after watching a few hikers last year.

I just use it to boil water exclusively. Then I take that water and put it into a freezer bag for what im making. Although I am open to cooking things inside it id rather not because of the cleaning up and usage of more water to do that.

hammock engineer
02-13-2007, 01:57
I just got one too. All things considered, I think I am going to come out ahead vs an alcohol stove. My alky stove, stuff sack, pot stand, pot, lid, alcohol bottle, nalgene 1oz alcohol container, and windscreen comes in at close to a pound. The only added weight is the canister for the jetboil. But in return I get a way faster boil time, no hassle quick hot water in cold situations and the added saftey factor, and a cup that I can hike with.

mrc237
02-13-2007, 08:03
The trick with cleaning is not to overcook. What I do is shut down stove a couple of minutes before recommended cook time and just leave it in the pot to re-hydrate/cook till ready. Just rinse out afterwards.

Smile
02-13-2007, 17:43
That sounds like a great idea, I'm thinking about going this route.Thanks for the advice! Dark side?

hopefulhiker
02-13-2007, 18:03
I started out with the Jet Boil but switched to alcohol because there really is a weight savings.. Remember to be safe you need to carry two canisters..

Chache
02-13-2007, 18:56
If you wait till April MSR Is coming out with the Reactor which is suppose to be far superior to Jet boil. Very wind resistant.
http://www.trailspace.com/news/2006/08/11/msr-reactor.html

Sly
02-13-2007, 18:59
It's not like anyone will die if they run out of fuel and what's makes the Reactor far superior? Price?

Chache
02-13-2007, 19:05
Faster boil time so it uses less fuel. Almost wind proof

Chache
02-13-2007, 19:14
Jetboil vs Msr Reactor
http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index.php?/archives/1323-Jetboil-Versus-MSR-Reactor-Field-Test.html

NINpigNIN
02-13-2007, 19:19
I have the GCS system and a regular PCS companion cup. The cup I use exclusively for boiling water because it can be a bit tricky to clean. The pot is pretty easy as it's just a pot. I love it - won't be changing to anything else for the forseeable future.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-13-2007, 19:34
If you wait till April MSR Is coming out with the Reactor which is suppose to be far superior to Jet boil. Very wind resistant.

That should hold up based only on MSR's track record for past claims of greatness for other equipment, you know "Whisper Jet", "Simmer Lite". I'm surprised they didn't name it the "No fuel consumption whatsoever instaboil antigravity sherpa/butler/maid/gourmet chef".;)

Heater
02-13-2007, 19:42

Very cool. :cool:

Chache
02-13-2007, 19:50
That should hold up based only on MSR's track record for past claims of greatness for other equipment, you know "Whisper Jet", "Simmer Lite". I'm surprised they didn't name it the "No fuel consumption whatsoever instaboil antigravity sherpa/butler/maid/gourmet chef".;)
Well said, but Iam a sucker for something new. I know I will end up with both. I'm just that nuts

Earl Grey
02-13-2007, 20:05
I am VERY skeptical of that review.

They compare QUART boiling times which is 4 cups. The Jetboil is made for 2 cups max although you can put more in it to boil. Its not MADE to boil a quart of water whereas apparently the Reactor is. This brings up the question do you need to boil a whole quart of water on the trail? For me this answer is no. I need 2 cups max for most meals which leads me to believe the Reactor would be better for larger groups of people where you would need to boil a quart.

mweinstone
02-13-2007, 20:44
foolish children! why do you anger the alcohol gods so?

Sly
02-13-2007, 21:31
I am VERY skeptical of that review.

They compare QUART boiling times which is 4 cups. The Jetboil is made for 2 cups max although you can put more in it to boil. Its not MADE to boil a quart of water whereas apparently the Reactor is. This brings up the question do you need to boil a whole quart of water on the trail? For me this answer is no. I need 2 cups max for most meals which leads me to believe the Reactor would be better for larger groups of people where you would need to boil a quart.

Good point. I'd also like to see a comparison boiling two cups of water. Speed seems to the only area where the Reactor outshines the Jet Boil, but Jet Boil says it will boil 2 cups (normal hiker amount) in two minutes. How much faster can, or need, the Reactor be?

Skidsteer
02-13-2007, 21:37
Good point. I'd also like to see a comparison boiling two cups of water. Speed seems to the only area where the Reactor outshines the Jet Boil, but Jet Boil says it will boil 2 cups (normal hiker amount) in two minutes. How much faster can, or need, the Reactor be?

Right?

My 220 volt kitchen range won't boil 2 cups in 2 minutes.

Not even with a windscreen. :p

Chache
02-13-2007, 21:38
Faster is not the only point. As I serch the web for reveiws it seems it is also near wind proof.

neo
02-13-2007, 21:39
I had been using an alcohol stove for the past 6 months or so but I saw a deal at a local store on a Jetboil and picked it up. I wont go into the details here because you probaly already know about it but im extremely pleased with it with what ive done with it so far. Last night I boiled 2 cups of water in 1 min whereas the alcohol stove took 5-6 at least. Of course this wasnt scientific at all but you get the idea. Another thing I like about it is if its really cold one could set it up extremely fast to heat up some water to stick in your bag. With an alcohol you ahve to pour the liquid light it blah blah blah.

I will most likely end up using it on the trail this summer so long as canisters are available, which from reading posts it seems like theyre not hard to find.

:) thats very cool.awesome:cool: neo

jrwiesz
02-14-2007, 00:36
It's not like anyone will die if they run out of fuel and what's makes the Reactor far superior? Price?
Nobody ever ran out of ALKY on the trail? Yeah, Right!

Spork
02-18-2007, 14:52
OK, I have been looking at this Jetboil ever since it came out and reading these posts. Please forgive my ignorance and at the risk of offending the Jetboil gods, I seem to be missing the advantages of the Jetboil PCS. It appears to be a glorified cartridge stove/pot/semi-windscreen that costs $80, weighs 15 oz and essentially boils 2 cups of water pretty quickly. I have a titanium cup, MSR pocket rocket and homemade windscreen that cost less and can do the exact same thing at about 8 oz. It even nestles just like the Jetboil. When I'm willing to wait a little longer I can even save 2 more oz. and simply substitute my AGG alky stove. As a lover of all things gear please tell me what wonders I am missing with Jetboil?:)

hammock engineer
02-18-2007, 14:58
I haven't done any comparison tests myself, butthe Jetboil is supposed to be more efficient and use less fuel.

Skidsteer
02-18-2007, 15:19
OK, I have been looking at this Jetboil ever since it came out and reading these posts. Please forgive my ignorance and at the risk of offending the Jetboil gods, I seem to be missing the advantages of the Jetboil PCS. It appears to be a glorified cartridge stove/pot/semi-windscreen that costs $80, weighs 15 oz and essentially boils 2 cups of water pretty quickly. I have a titanium cup, MSR pocket rocket and homemade windscreen that cost less and can do the exact same thing at about 8 oz. It even nestles just like the Jetboil. When I'm willing to wait a little longer I can even save 2 more oz. and simply substitute my AGG alky stove. As a lover of all things gear please tell me what wonders I am missing with Jetboil?:)

You're not missing anything. You pretty much pegged it.:)