PDA

View Full Version : Most efficient way to cook ramen.

Earl Grey
02-12-2007, 17:04
What would be the best is to already have the ramen broken up and in a freezer bag. Boil some water and pour it in there like with grits, etc. Will this method saturate the noodles completely so theyre not all hard? This would be done to conserve fuel.

Ewker
02-12-2007, 17:08
that way works fine. I eat Ramens made with cold water. After soaking the Ramen for a while pour off the water (or drink it), add some pepperoni, cheese and ranch dressing....pasta salad

mountain squid
02-12-2007, 17:11
Whatever you do, don't break the ramen in the freezer bag. That has a tendency to poke a hole into your bag. It makes a mess, to say the least. But, otherwise, ramen noodles "cook" very quickly. Hot water in the freezer bag works very well and eliminates the need to clean your pot.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Footslogger
02-12-2007, 17:12
Don't know if it's THE most efficent ...but this is how I do it.

Break up the noodle brick as well as possible while the water is heating up to a boil (if I haven't already done so ahead of time).

When I have boilage I open the package/ziplock and drop it in. Personally I stirr in some chicken or tuna chunks at this point and even a little potato flakes.

I let it roll for a little bit and then take it off the stove and extinguish my stove (alcohol).

Wait 4 - 5 minutes and dig in !!

'Slogger

jlb2012
02-12-2007, 17:18
most efficient would be to eat the ramen without cooking it - drink a little extra water if you feel you need to

TOW
02-12-2007, 17:32
I did that before HOI. But the way I like to prepare mine is to get the water to a rolling boil, then pour them in and tenderize them for only a minute and a half. Then I put the spice packet and whatever else I want in it. Delicious!

jlb2012
02-12-2007, 17:42
well TOW the question was efficiency but for flavorful ramen I have heard of a very interesting recipe - fried ramen - soak the brick for a minute to soften it up some then fry it in a bit of EVOO and melt some cheese on top adding whatever extras you might want to the cheese for more flavor

Jim Adams
02-12-2007, 19:16
rarely ever cook them anymore--just break them up, sprinkle 1/2 the seasoning packet on them and eat---tastes like BBQ pretzels. did you also know that the brick will make a great firestater in an emergency, just light it up---burns about 20 minutes!
geek

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2007, 21:13
Break the ramen up in the pot. Pour in water just to cover. Then bring to a boil, or almost to a boil. By the time they are cool enough to eat, they're done. They don't stick together like pasta that hasn't been fried so you don't have to wait for the water to boil before putting them in.