PDA

View Full Version : Powdered milk

Earl Grey
02-12-2007, 19:22
Bought a box of powdered milk last night to eat cereal with in mornings. Lol I havent tried it yet but it cant be that bad right?

Whats a good amount of powder to use per cereal bag? Seems like the best thing to do is measure out some cereal and put it in a plastic bag. How much powder do you put in for like a quart size bag of cereal? This is the Carnation brand by the way. Also what are other uses for it besides cereal?

The Weasel
02-12-2007, 19:27
Carnation is th best brand. You want about 1/2 cup of milk for cereal or oatmeal, so consult the instructions on the back. It's also excellent for milk for Lipton's Pastas, some soups, mixing with instant coffee, mixing with Carnation Instant Breakfast mix.

The Weasel

boarstone
02-12-2007, 19:29
Best to test at home the way you'll use it on the trail w/the cereal/food you'll use it with. Try some powdered milk drink in it to soften the taste, chocolate/strawberry or even one of those diet powder drink mixes. Great used for the pasta dishes that require milk in the mix. To each his own, experiment to your taste level.

jlb2012
02-12-2007, 20:07
Nido is another good choice for a brand - powdered whole mike

sarbar
02-12-2007, 20:19
Usually 1/3 cup dry milk plus 1 cup water=1 cup fluid milk.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-12-2007, 21:02
Carnation also makes a whole milk powder - I saw it yesterday at Kroger. I double the normal strength for the extra protein and normally don't add it to cooked cereals until they finish cooking (makes them stick less).

1 cup powder + 1 cup water makes a substitute for cream. Add some powdered lemon or lime and you've got a substitute for sour cream. This makes some mighty nice dishes on the trail and adds protein and calcium.

guthook
02-12-2007, 23:33
Careful with that double-strength milk you're making... worst diarrhea in my life came from concentrating a bit too much powder into liquid. I don't know exactly how much I put in, but I did drink about three cups.

It was probably the three cups that did it to me, but I'm not going to test my luck with that again. Once was more than enough :)

sarbar
02-12-2007, 23:54
Carnation also makes a whole milk powder - I saw it yesterday at Kroger. I double the normal strength for the extra protein and normally don't add it to cooked cereals until they finish cooking (makes them stick less).

1 cup powder + 1 cup water makes a substitute for cream. Add some powdered lemon or lime and you've got a substitute for sour cream. This makes some mighty nice dishes on the trail and adds protein and calcium.
Really? Well...I just learned something new...adn I got a ton of Nido I opened this morning. Off to the kitchen :D

highway
02-13-2007, 07:32
While "Best brands" are derived from our opinions, my "best brand" is the old one called low fat 'MILKMAN', distributed by familiar foods in California. When my local Publix grocery chain stopped carrying it for the cheaper Carnation brand, where they made more money, I'd guess, I called the distributor and they sold it to me direct, by the case (about $34, delivered) Phone 626-336-2066. I use it every day in my three large cups of just-ground Blue Mountain coffee each morning. Tastes great while keeping animal fats to a minimum

If you want to make milk, mix it in a closed container where you can vigorously shake it to aerate and froth it up some.

zelph
02-13-2007, 17:22
Mix 2 heaping cups powder to 1/2 gallon of water. Use wire whisk to mix thouroughly, this part is important, you don't want to have any "flavor buds"(undissolved powder) floating around to land in your mouth when least expecting it. :banana

Refrigerate before drinking, this is the most important part of getting acustomed to powdered milk if you plan to drink it daily.

Using it dry, experiment before going on the trail.

Use the brand sold at "Aldis" large box, makes 5 gal. liquid, good stuff.

I've given up stove making!!!!! Going to do the cooking thing. coffee with Starlyte and Dino on Wednesdays, bring the blue apron :banana

Earl Grey
02-13-2007, 18:09
Im not sure how ill be able to refrigerate on the trail though. So I should learn to drink it in lukewarm/warm water shouldnt I?

zelph
02-13-2007, 18:24
Im not sure how ill be able to refrigerate on the trail though. So I should learn to drink it in lukewarm/warm water shouldnt I?

You bought a box of it, put it to max use. Have a glass of cold milk while you experiment with using the powder in your cereal.

I've given you the ratio that I use, try it, if you like it do the math to figure out how much to use in the dry pack method. You'll have to aquire a taste for room temperature/trail temp. milk. The cereal may cover the taste somewhat, try it, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained.

Pacific Tortuga
02-13-2007, 19:11
Just used one packet of lowfat Milkman instant dry milk in a Naglene with one pack of Carnation milk chocolate instant breakfast and it was gooood. I used cold spring water

and plan to implement this combo 2 or 3 times a week while on the trail. I also plan on using the dry milk in my mac'n'cheese with albacore or shelter mouse during tough times.;)

Big Dawg
02-13-2007, 20:49
I've given up stove making!!!!!

eeeeeeeeeeeekkkk,,, :eek: say it isn't so.

weary
02-13-2007, 21:38

The frolicking one has said it best. Powdered milk is an excellent source of protein aND calcium. I add it to most dishes I use on the trail, but as FD suggests. It is better added at the end of cooking to prevent it from scorching your pots and damaging the taste of whatever concoction you are making.

Weary

neo
02-13-2007, 21:48
Bought a box of powdered milk last night to eat cereal with in mornings. Lol I havent tried it yet but it cant be that bad right?

Whats a good amount of powder to use per cereal bag? Seems like the best thing to do is measure out some cereal and put it in a plastic bag. How much powder do you put in for like a quart size bag of cereal? This is the Carnation brand by the way. Also what are other uses for it besides cereal?

friends of mine tell me that nido is great alternative to regular powdered milk
nido is a powdered whole milk:cool: neo

http://www.gourmetkitchencenter.com/shop.php?c=Gourmet&n=3602591&i=B000JMDH9U&x=Nestle_Nido_Instant_Milk_Powder_Mexico_1800g

zelph
02-13-2007, 22:15
Here is a site that gives amounts for Reconstituting Powdered Milk (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/powderedmilk.htm)

There is a paragraph at that site that says this:
Powdered Milk is available in two common forms: Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder and Regular Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder. Regular dry milk is sometimes referred to as "Non-Instant". It doesn't dissolve as readily as instant milk powder and is a bit more troublesome to locate. Dry whole milk powder is available too. It doesn't last as long as non-fat dry milk because the fat in it can go rancid over time.

That part about going rancid did'nt sound good.

Also the part about "Non-Instant" does'nt dissolve as readily, guess you can expect "Flavor Buds" :banana

Big Dawg Yep, the Martha Stixx cured me. Turned in my Dremel and shears for apron strings.

That's a photo of me in the Avatar:banana

Schulo
02-13-2007, 22:42
I vaccuum seal powdered milk and instant mash potatoes into two serving size pouches so on the trail I dont have to worry about measuring out each of the ingredients. Now if I could only find a way to get fresh butter for my mashed potatoes.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-13-2007, 22:45
Schulo, find a product called 'Butter Buds' near the spices and add some olive oil.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2007, 22:54
I've always used powdered milk in my oatmeal for breakfast and with nearly all dinners in the sauce mix. But once when I decided to try cold cereal in hot sticky weather, I failed to sufficiently wash out the lidded plastic cup used for reconstitution. It may be powdered but it's still milk. After a few days, the smell was so raunchy I had to wash it with hot water. So make sure you rinse or wash your cup thoroughly.