PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these 2 sleeping bags...

Sly
02-12-2007, 19:59
....would you get?

MontBell America, Inc. U.L. Super Stretch Hugger #1 15 Degree (http://www.backcountry.com/store/MTB0024/MontBell-America-Inc.-U.L.-Super-Stretch-Hugger-1-Sleeping-Bag-16-Degree-Down.html?mv_pc=r126&CP=Froogle&CMP=SPC-Froogle&ATT=MTB0024-ulsuperstretchhugger1sleepi&GCID=C2000x025&keyword=MTB0024+ul+super+stretch+hugger+1+s)

Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Super Sleeping Bag: 20 Degree (http://www.backcountry.com/store/WES0016/c3/s18/Western-Mountaineering-Alpinlite-Super-Sleeping-Bag-20-Degree.html)

If I decide to buy one, I have a 15% off coupon so they'd both cost $325 for the size I need. Has anyone seen a better price for either?

stuco
02-12-2007, 20:37
Probably the western mountaineering since the rating is probably conservative and it weighs less

icemanat95
02-12-2007, 21:30
I like both companies, but WM is specialized around sleeping bags and they are absolutely top notch.

Mont Bell on the other hand, practically invented the concept of lightweight. When TNF was selling the Mountain Light Parka at about 3 pounds, Mont Bell was selling a comparable parka (for protection and features) at about half the weight. Their stuff was originally designed by a Japanese Alpine Style climber whe set speed records climbing in Europe. Very, very functional gear in very efficient designs. Can you tell that I love Mont Bell stuff? Even though My Mont Bell parka stopped being my most waterproof coat some time ago due to heavy use in Alpine conditions (lots of snow and ice), I won't throw it out or even relegate it to the gear closet. It is hanging on the rack 15 feet away, ready for use. It's about 14 years old now.

doodah man
02-12-2007, 21:40
Sly,
I would choose the Super Stretch Hugger... I move around a lot while sleeping and a conventional mummy bag is way to restrictive for me especially as a side sleeper. doodah-man

n2o2diver
02-12-2007, 23:05
How about a JRB Mt Rogers quilt? Lighter and Cheaper. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Mt%20Rogers.htm

hopefulhiker
02-12-2007, 23:12
It depends on how fat you are... The Montbell looks more comfortable but the WM weighs less.. I might suffer the extra 5 oz and go for the Montbell.

Sly
02-12-2007, 23:30
It depends on how fat you are...

Speak for yourself. :mad:

Egads
02-12-2007, 23:34
Sly,

I faced the same question this past November, so I chose the WM Alpinlite. No regrets. I bought it at Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap. The Outfitters at Harpers Ferry was selling it at $325, but I paid a little more to support our local outfitter & to walk out the door with it.

I remember the Hermit Hut was selling the WM Alpinlite with 2oz of overfill & throwing in a down pillow for list price.

Choosing your gear is the art of compromise.

Egads

Sly
02-12-2007, 23:41
. The Montbell looks more comfortable but the WM weighs less.. I might suffer the extra 5 oz and go for the Montbell.

According to weights on backcountry.com it's an 8 oz difference between the WM reg 1 lb 15 oz (6') and the Montbell 2 lb 7 oz (6'4").

hammock engineer
02-13-2007, 01:50
I have the montbell super stretch #2 in long. I really like it. I mainly use it as a quilt in my hammock. I have used it along with my hammock stuff fine down to -10, but I am a warm sleeper and the hammock stuff helps a lot.

I really did not want a mummy bag because of the constrictive feeling. I don't care for inclosed spaces. I sleep on a few occasions now on the ground in this bag. It does stretch and move with you. It feels less constrictive than other mummy bags I tried. I think this compresses the down and could cause cold spots after a while though.

I am taking it on my thru this year as my cold weather bag. PM me if you have any questions.

MedicineMan
02-13-2007, 02:23
their bags are works of art....oldest daughter is taking the Versalite to India for a month in the Himalayas, made her turn in the Megalite first though :)

Hana_Hanger
02-13-2007, 03:51
I also have the MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Hugger Down #2 and love it!!!
It has to stretch so I do not feel confined....hate Mummy bags otherwise.

hopefulhiker
02-13-2007, 09:03
Ok those three ounces made me change my mind.. and yes I have gotten fat. I think you should go with the WM to save the weight.. Also I have a WM and being cold was never really an issue..

The Solemates
02-13-2007, 11:48
I wouldnt get either. Those are too expensive for my tastes.

Spork
02-13-2007, 13:21
I am facing a similar decision right now choosing between WM and Montbell and have been looking at the same two bags. As a restless sleeper I also dislike mummy bags which is why I'm considering the Montbell Super Stretch. However, when I look at the down fill between the two bags (850 for WM and 725 for Montbell) and also consistently hear people rave about the quality and warmth of WM, it seems to simply be a superior bag. The WM Alpinlite Super also appears to have wider girth than a normal mummy which would seem to offer greater wiggle room. Plus as mentioned it's 8 oz lighter. I'll be interested to hear other's opinions...

Sly
02-13-2007, 13:24
I wouldnt get either. Those are too expensive for my tastes.

I know what you mean, I'm not inclined to spend that kind of money either, but I could use the extra room around my shoulders.

Sly
02-13-2007, 13:29
I am facing a similar decision right now between a WM and a Montbell bag. As a restless sleeper I also dislike mummy bags which is why I'm considering the Montbell Super . However, when I look at the down fill between the two bags (850 for WM and 725 for Montbell)

Besides the difference in total weight (25% more in the Montbell) , I'm also concerned about the "stretch" and how long it will last.

Spork
02-13-2007, 14:42
Besides the difference in total weight (25% more in the Montbell) , I'm also concerned about the "stretch" and how long it will last.

Good point. I also wonder about the performance longevity of the stretch technology and how this may affect lofting over time. For $350 plus I'm definitely looking for a LONG TERM investment.

Nearly Normal
02-13-2007, 19:20
I was planning to buy a Mont bell #1 this year but see on their site it's out of stock.
Pete

Cuffs
02-13-2007, 19:32
I just got my MB #1 and love it! I too tend to sleep restlessly and this bag has proven to be the best thing for me. Prior to this, I had a TNF Cats Meow mummy. I couldnt even budge in that bag!

As for the price... I didnt pay what youve listed as "best price." I guess coming into camping/hiking season, there are not much in the way of good deals right now. I paid just under $300, incl. s & h from campsaver.com. And looking now, its up over $350, but the are including a $45 MB warm up sheet/liner with the bag...

Enjoy the hunt and let us know what you finally decide Sly!!

LIhikers
02-13-2007, 20:26
The WM says it has a shoulder girth of 64 inches. I have a Marmot with the same girth and it gives me great room. I'm a restless sleeper and rollover a lot as I sleep. With 64 inches I can roll inside without rolling the bag. That's a point to consider

Hana_Hanger
02-13-2007, 21:46
The MontBell is coming out with 800 fill this year or was it 900 fill
I think I saw it discussed on Backpackinglight...either way both our great bags.
I got my bag on sale for $228 so you can shop around or wait till the end of the year sales.

2009ThruHiker
02-13-2007, 22:07
I have a Super Stretch Down Hugger by Montbelle & I can't say enough about how comfy and warm this thing sleepS!:D

Sly
02-13-2007, 22:09
The MontBell is coming out with 800 fill this year or was it 900 fill
I think I saw it discussed on Backpackinglight...either way both our great bags.
I got my bag on sale for $228 so you can shop around or wait till the end of the year sales.

You got a number #1 Super Stretch on sale for $228?

Sly
03-12-2007, 18:06
Well, I finally bit the bullet.

I had hoped the 64" wide girth WM Alpinlite Super would be wide enough, but I tried one on at Mountain Crossings, and it was as tight, or tighter, than my old Campmor bag.

Alerted by a member here, a local outfitter in Kentucky was selling the Montbell Super Stretch long #1 for 25% off. I wasn't thrilled by it being 8 oz heavier than the WM but, it is a warmer bag and has plenty of room. I like the stretch. I hope it lasts. I was told. the new #1's with 800 loft, are only 2 oz lighter. I can live with that saving nearly $100.

Madmax
03-12-2007, 20:06
Hi Sly !

I'm new to this nice forum here, so Hello :-) Anyway, I,ve got the WM Caribou and it's plenty wide and long for a grown up. Furthermore it serves well till around freezingpoint, depending on surcumstances. For summer "stealth" missions I also go with the Gatewoodcape, wich is a very funny little piece of equipment ! I intend to carry it all the 4.900 km from Sweden to Italy :-)
http://www.era-ewv-ferp.com/index.php?topmenu_id=29&id=29&page_id=99&module=text

Sincerely,

Max

Sly
03-12-2007, 20:15
Hey Max, Welcome to Whiteblaze.

No doubt WM makes great bags, but as I said although they're wider than most, they're not wide enough for me.

Both the WM and Montbell appear to be very similar in quality and are probably the best bags out there. I'd rate Marmot up there too, but I never liked the idea of a half zipper in the Helium or Hydrogen, not thinking it was worth it to save an ounce or so.

Madmax
03-12-2007, 20:36
OK Sly, broardshouldered man needing more than 65" :-? Anyone tall to, going with a tent from time to time, should, despite the non-stealthcolor, give this thing a try:
http://www.moontrail.com/eureka-spitfire.php

PS: The innertent, 17 oz (not exately SUL) but fits perfect diagonally placed under the Gatewoodcape.

Max

Toolshed
03-12-2007, 20:40
MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Hugger Down #2 !!!!!
I got mine couple of weeks ago and even though I have half a dozen down bags, (I'm sorry, welcome to gearaholics, I have a problem) this one is by far the most comfortable bag I have ever slept in. I hope I still feel this way in 10 years. (I felt this way in 1983 with my EMS-25 Down bag too)

Sly
03-12-2007, 20:41
OK Sly, broardshouldered man needing more than 65" :-?

It seems I do. The 64" wide WM Alpinlite Super was too narrow. :o

Egads
03-13-2007, 07:09
Sly,

I am glad to see that you are going with No 1 and not No 2. no pun intended.

I have the WM Alpinlite 31 oz & just received a 2006 Montbell UL Superstretch Downhugger #2 long 31 oz that I ordered for my son's birthday. It was onsale for $260 at Backcountry.com. I considered the #0 3* which was also on sale but decided it would be too warm for much use in SE USA. I really wanted to upgrade his TNF Cats Meow with a #1 but the 2006 clearance bags were sold out.

I layed them out side by side last night and checked the loft.

The Montbell #2 averages 4.5" of loft. The elastic bands appear to have no down behind them.

The WM Alpinlite is advertised to have 5" of loft. I measured 7" of loft around the chest & 6" through out the legs and footbox.

Even thouth the ratings are only 4* F apart (MB #2 is 24* "Comfortable" & the WM Alpine is 20*) I'd rather use the WM for my winter bag. My summer bag >35* is a JRB quilt which I've used to 29*.

Egads

Sly
03-13-2007, 09:16
Thanks Egad. Trying to find the right bag is a lot of work. Some online stores/manufacturers will give you lots of info like girth/loft while others won't. If you pull on the inside and out you'll see the area of the elastic bands isn't sew through but has room to expand

Here's a #1 on sale on Ebay. $199, no bids...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Montbell-U-L-Super-Stretch-Down-Hugger-1-Long-Like-Ne_W0QQitemZ130087438533QQcategoryZ87101QQcmdZView Item

floyd242
03-13-2007, 12:47
Have you tried your Montbell yet? I'm in the exact same situation as you and was looking at either the montbell or a big agnes system... (damn wide shoulders)

rswanson
03-13-2007, 15:46
Have you tried your Montbell yet? I'm in the exact same situation as you and was looking at either the montbell or a big agnes system... (damn wide shoulders)
There's no comparison to the girth attainable with the Montbell stretch bags. We've got a #2 and its almost big enough to fit both me and my wife in at the same time. I think it expands to over 70 inches. I'm six feet tall and can sit crosslegged in it with room to spare. Personally, I love my WM Ultralight but it is tight. If you need a spacious, well-made, accurately-rated bag, the Montbell's are the best of the best.

peanuts
03-13-2007, 17:49
montbell ulss bags.....AWSOME!!!!!!!
i love my bag, comfy, plenty of room to move when used as a sleeping.
most of the time i use it as a quilt in my hammock!:)

mweinstone
03-13-2007, 17:51
get a marmot. and sleep soundly.

Sly
03-13-2007, 17:55
get a marmot. and sleep soundly.

I like Marmot stuff, alot, but their bags aren't wide enough (for me), and I wasn't particularly fond of the half zipper in the Helium.