PDA

View Full Version : Is it weird...

buckowens
02-12-2007, 21:14
O.K., so there I was today, in my C-12, inverted, pulling so many G's I was in the H's, Air Medal flapping in my face... Oh wait, that was another story...

I was in my C-12 today flying from Parkersburg, WV to Savannah Georgia at about 25,000 ft. I had my trusty Etrex laying on the dash (we have no such rules as the airlines) and I had all of the AT shelters loaded. As I passed the trail I tried in vain to see through the cloud deck to no avail. I passed to the East of Jenkins Shelter by 1.6 miles on the way down and 1.3 West on the way back. My co-pilot looked at me as though I was crazy, but he will and has hiked with me when we overnight somewhere so that's o.k.

I got a kind of surreal feeling today and wanted to share it. I am anxious for my trip in June and like the Thru's find myself all consumed in the preparation. By the way, the weather in Savannah was about 65 degrees...It was great to come back to an ice storm tonight.

Blissful
02-12-2007, 21:19
wow that is one way to see the trail - by air!!! Cool.

Jack Tarlin
02-13-2007, 15:10
Sounds like you had a great day.

Thank you for your service!!

RiverWarriorPJ
02-13-2007, 15:19
O.K., so there I was today, in my C-12, inverted, pulling so many G's I was in the H's, Air Medal flapping in my face... Oh wait, that was another story...

In a C-12..??..I gotta hear that one...lol....just joshin' ya..

buckowens
02-13-2007, 15:48
O.K. River Warrior, you caught me...There I was with the General in the back, a newspaper in my hands and the heat up high:D

My days of rip roaring around in a Cobra or Blackhawk are gone for now at least... For those who don't know it, the C-12 is a Beechcraft Super King Air turboprop corporate airplane. It is used for V.I.P. transport for many of the services. It is a pud job...until something goes wrong!!

TOW
02-13-2007, 16:02
i waved at you buck, why didn't you wave back?

buckowens
02-13-2007, 19:26
Wanderer,

I must have had the USA today blocking the window when you waved:D

My wife was appalled to find out that we read books and newspapers. Despite explaining that the traffic collision avoidance system, enhanced ground proximity warning and air traffic control "talked" to us. I explained to her that in the pre-911 days the only reason there was a door on the cockpit was so the passengers did not see the pilots kicked back with their shoes off;)

moxie
02-13-2007, 20:04
I have over 1000 hours of jet fighter time but in those days, (the 60's) most of my flying time was in another part of the world. However I have had great views of the trail while flying good old Southwest Airlines. A week before I started my thru I flew from D..C. to Chicago and with no leaves on the trees and snow on the trail you could see it plain as day as we passed over the Boiling Springs area. It is beautiful as it winds along the Pa. ridgeline and you are so high you can't see the damn sharp rocks. A few years after my hike I was flying from Raleigh Durham to Manchester NH and the flight path took us right up the trail through Pa., New Jersey and New York. Out of the right window I saw the bend in the river at Deleware Water Gap, High Point. We turned slightly east and there was Greenwood Lake, then the Hudson and Bear Mountain Bridge. What took so many days and caused so much sweat to hile passed quietly under me in about three minutes. I also fly with my Garmen Etrex and it is just amazing what you can see, even from an airliner.

buckowens
02-13-2007, 21:09
Moxie,

If I get up to Maine I'm buying you the beverage of your choice! To thank you for your service and to hopefully get a few stories from the fighters..:D