PDA

View Full Version : Where are the female hikers?

Earl Grey
02-13-2007, 00:22
Where are you all? I know you must be out there somewhere.

This isnt a post about pinkblazing, just in general why is it so hard to find a girl that likes the outdoors? Seems like most of them are watching TV most of the time or screwing off on myspace. I say the hell with that nonsense go outside but no. And if you convince one to go out they complain the whole time. Maybe im just being cynical though. :mad:

tiamalle
02-13-2007, 00:27

This isnt a post about pinkblazing, just in general why is it so hard to find a girl that likes the outdoors? Seems like most of them are watching TV most of the time or screwing off on myspace. I say the hell with that nonsense go outside but no. And if you convince one to go out they complain the whole time. Maybe im just being cynical though. :mad:O Blackmath,their out there.you just got to be quite and patient.Right when you are not expecting it here they come.and then :banana

bfitz
02-13-2007, 00:30
I wonder what the male/female ratio is on Whiteblaze?

SalParadise
02-13-2007, 00:39
maybe you just don't recognize hiker-chicks as well because of their hairy legs. I know plenty of 'em. they're out there...somewhere.

RAT
02-13-2007, 01:01
Like one of my Konnarock Crew shirts says: "Build it and they will come"

RAT

mambo_tango
02-13-2007, 01:34
....and notice how it is all guys that have replied so far. I am a hiker chick so they are out there. Wow.. it sounds kind of like 'biker chick' only it's 'hiker chick' but cooler. My mum said I couldn't get a motorcycle unless it was over her dead body so I guess I will have to stick to walking.

hammock engineer
02-13-2007, 01:45
From another guy but,

After reading the happenings on another thread today, I understand why a lot of women keep their gender to themselves in a cyber community.

mambo_tango
02-13-2007, 02:00
Well... you can pretty much tell that I am a female from my avatar anyway...

minnesotasmith
02-13-2007, 02:06
From another guy but,

After reading the happenings on another thread today, I understand why a lot of women keep their gender to themselves in a cyber community.

What thread is that, HE? I missed that one.

Pokey2006
02-13-2007, 02:08
Us hiker chicks are lurking around, however, there could certainly be more of us out there on the trail. I was actually surprised by how macho, male-dominated the trail could be sometimes. I boil it down to this: How many Boy Scout troops have you bumped into on the AT? Now, how many Girl Scout troops have you seen on the AT?

We give boys opportunities to get out into the woods to see if they like it (hence sparking a life-long love of nature and outdoors activities). Now we need to start giving girls the same opportunities. I remember as a Girl Scout all we did was sit around the scout leader's living room, being very careful not to put our feet on the table and to keep from dropping crumbs from our snacks onto the floor. No wonder why there are more guys on the trail then gals.

Earl Grey
02-13-2007, 02:10
Hmmm well I meant out on the trail originally not on here.

ed bell
02-13-2007, 02:13
O Blackmath,their out there.you just got to be quite and patient.Right when you are not expecting it here they come.and then :bananaI married one, and I've gotta agree tiamalle.:banana I remember feeling the same way as you do Blackmath. Time, patience and outreach are all gonna help. Good luck!

ed bell
02-13-2007, 02:20
I was actually surprised by how macho, male-dominated the trail could be sometimes.I often wonder how this perception by many about the "AT thru-hiker culture" can seem so at odds with the reality I experience with my backpacking/outdoor adventure type friends. That is not to say that I doubt it, just seems strange to me. Then again, I'm not a thru-hiker.

hammock engineer
02-13-2007, 02:28
What thread is that, HE? I missed that one.

The posts got deleted, and rightfully so. I would rather not post it here and move the argument here.

highway
02-13-2007, 06:52
My wife hates going, so I go alone.

gsingjane
02-13-2007, 07:44
Pokey, and anyone else who is interested in helping girls/women get outside and enjoy backpacking and hiking, I have a great idea for you! Why NOT share your expertise and enthusiasm by volunteering with Girl Scouts?

You don't have to be a full-on troop leader. You don't have to have a daughter in the program. You don't have to give them 10-20 hours a week, or sign on for life. You can volunteer on a limited basis, whether with an individual troop, through a town level group (a/k/a service unit) or on a council-wide basis. It could be as simple as coming to talk to a troop about your backpacking experiences, bringing your slides and gear for some show & tell. You could offer to help a troop move up through dayhiking into an overnight. You could be a council resource person, ready to advise or assist when needed. You could even, at some point, help out at a camp or GS wilderness program.

From my years of experience as a volunteer, I'll tell you that the biggest reason the girls don't "get out there" is because of a lack of qualified or confident leaders ready to take them. Virtually every leader gets involved because she has a daughter in the troop - and it's totally "luck of the draw" whether or not that woman will have any outdoors expertise. It is true that many women do not want to leave their nice hot showers or their blowdryers, to spend time in the woods with their girls. As a town manager, I am constantly cheerleading our leaders into even taking that first step to try.

I am happy to answer any PM's from anyone who needs technical help finding a council or more specific ideas on how to help. Remember that, as with any organization working with kids, Girl Scouts is going to background you and make sure you're suitable for this kind of work before they turn you loose on the girls. Don't be offended, everybody goes through it, and you would want the same for your own daughter. They may require you to take their own outdoor training, and do it with a smile even though you may know more than the instructors (they have to do this for insurance purposes).

I guarantee you, if you give this a try, you will get 1000% more out of it than you put in. And then you can give a girl a GREAT outdoors experience to look back on, rather than the mediocre one that you had.

Jane in CT

generoll
02-13-2007, 11:17
I'm guessing the female hikers are hiking on the trails instead of hiking on the internet.

Blissful
02-13-2007, 12:09
I set up a first backpacking trip for some women in my church. Only had three go on the first outing but hope to have more when I do it again. And my hubby and I lead a teen group in our church of mostly teen girls, and we hope to get them backpacking - they will get a taste for it when they have to hike 4 miles to this cabin in SNP at the end of March. So I'm trying! ha ha :)

Blissful
02-13-2007, 12:15
Also you need to find women who don't mind being grungy, using the great outdoors for the restroom, sleeping with bugs on the ground, and no salads for dinner. It can be hard. I don't like the sounds of night myself - I think an animal is attacking outside my tent (and one did too - this raccoon this past fall). Glad I wear earplugs. But women are bombarded with Hollywood sterotyping - looking young, gorgeous, with Oil of Olay - I even plan to carry some Oil of Olay cloths :) We need to get out the word that hiking makes you gorgeous too - by using your heart, lungs, and muscles the way God intended and enjoying the peace of the outdoors.

hammock engineer
02-13-2007, 12:28
....I don't like the sounds of night myself - I think an animal is attacking outside my tent (and one did too - this raccoon this past fall....

You are not the only one on this one. My first night in a hammock with no tarp, but netting, or other physical barrier from all the nasty things that live in the dark was a little freaky. After a couple nights, but becomes kind of cool.

Still there are some strange nosies out there I have never heard before.

shortstuff
02-13-2007, 12:29
I had to chime in as a female! We are out there but my finding is we are few in numbers. Most female hikers I meet are day hikers and either to scared to stay out a night on the trail or they want a shower at the end of the day. Nothing like waking up to a beautiful morning on the trail and I say the dirtier the better! And just to let those out there know not all of us have hairy legs....

A backcountry diva :)

bfitz
02-13-2007, 12:42
There's definitely some badass hiker babes out there. And I kinda like hairy legs, etc....It shows a disregard for society's attempt at mind-control.

Ewker
02-13-2007, 12:42
to many females go to Glamor Shots..funny they never look that way again :p

Webs
02-13-2007, 14:16
I know my hesitation is the added danger of being out there alone as a woman--I hate this fact, but women do encounter more risk of being attacked than do men. It's not fair, but hey, that's life. :( I'm sure that's a big problem for a lot of would-be women hikers. I'd be out on some trail constantly if it were safer. But of course, women face more risk going out anywhere, not just hiking trails. Plus, self-confidence and pepper spray can be great protection ;)

grizzlyadam
02-13-2007, 14:32
feeling a little lonely as valentines day draws near?

Mags
02-13-2007, 14:48
Well, they aren't hiding under rocks, trees or bushes. They are out hiking among the rocks, trees and bushes.

Dad once (well several times actually) told me something wise: If you do something you love, you'll meet someone who shares your interests.

(Other useful tips he shared wth me: Check your oil - at least once a week. Show up to work on time. Never get involved in a land war in Asia...er, no, that's from the Princess Bride..SORRY!)

Anyway, join an outdoor group. Organize trips. Talk to people and get know them. Have fun doing something you love. Bring chocolate baked goods and hot chocolate (The last items are REALLY key ;) ).

I've met (and dated) a few great people from organizing trips. But, do not go in with the attitude of "I'm doing this to meet chicks/dudes". (Yeah..I've known a few women with that attitude as well). You'll have a miserable time.

I go because I love the outdoors. Combine my enthusiasm for the outdoors with a confidence I have in my element, dating is not hard. More importantly though, I've made some deep friendships (women included) that are like family to me because of these outdoor trips. (I'm babysitting my "nephew" this upcoming Friday.)

So, just have fun. Enjoy yourself. Do what you love. Everythng else falls into place eventually.

neo
02-13-2007, 14:51
Us hiker chicks are lurking around, however, there could certainly be more of us out there on the trail. I was actually surprised by how macho, male-dominated the trail could be sometimes. I boil it down to this: How many Boy Scout troops have you bumped into on the AT? Now, how many Girl Scout troops have you seen on the AT?

We give boys opportunities to get out into the woods to see if they like it (hence sparking a life-long love of nature and outdoors activities). Now we need to start giving girls the same opportunities. I remember as a Girl Scout all we did was sit around the scout leader's living room, being very careful not to put our feet on the table and to keep from dropping crumbs from our snacks onto the floor. No wonder why there are more guys on the trail then gals.

:) pokey you will always be the hottest hiker babe to me:cool: neo

T-Dubs
02-13-2007, 16:19

My wife loves going....the being there, not so much. She great in the 'anticipation' phase. Feet to the ground is a whole different animal.

I, too, go alone.

Tom

moxie
02-14-2007, 00:05
When I thru hiked in 2000 many of my fellow hikers were female. I was amazed at how after everyone got to know each other how no one cared or even notice what sex a fellow hiker was. In campsites work was shared by all. If it was a mile to water if it was your turn to get it for the group you went, male or female. We all shared motel rooms in town. A hiker was accepted for themself. My wife was supprised that one woman I hiked with for about 1000 miles was just my friend but that was the way it was on the AT, Sure there is hankey pankey for those who want it but most thru hikers accept each other as equals regardless of what sex the other hiker is. If you are looking for a "chick" go to a bar, if you are looking for a great experience go to the AT.

Farr Away
02-14-2007, 00:34
We _are_ out here, but we do seem to be outnumbered by just a bit. lol. In my hiking group, there's me and the teenage daughter of one of the guys, and she's only been once.

I don't care. I'm having fun, and enjoying the outdoors, so why worry?

Ronin
02-14-2007, 01:05
Also you need to find women who don't mind being grungy, using the great outdoors for the restroom, sleeping with bugs on the ground, and no salads for dinner.... We need to get out the word that hiking makes you gorgeous too - by using your heart, lungs, and muscles...and enjoying the peace of the outdoors.

Right on Blissful! Go the women hikers!

hammock engineer
02-14-2007, 01:10
This reminds me of when I go to the bar with a couple friends of mine. One seems to make it his mission to find a girl. I could care less. Interesting how we are in the same place, at the same time, and doing similar things but I have a lot more fun.

The moral or this story is what is said above. Go with the flow and have fun. Everything else will work itself out in the end.

Ronin
02-14-2007, 01:15
Also you need to find women who don't mind being grungy, using the great outdoors for the restroom, sleeping with bugs on the ground, and no salads for dinner... We need to get out the word that hiking makes you gorgeous too - by using your heart, lungs, and muscles...and enjoying the peace of the outdoors.

Well said Blissful! Go the women hikers! (Oops - already posted, but bears repeating!)

gumball
02-14-2007, 07:50
Female hiker present--more afraid of rattlesnakes than men. Have very hairy legs for weeks on end and smell like a bag of rotted garbage by the end of our sections. Thankfully, so does the husband, so we cancel one another out :) We're here and yes, probably outnumbered. That's okay--its a hike-your-own-hike thing in life, too, not just on the trail.

Marta
02-14-2007, 08:28
Funny story (funny to me anyway)--Snapshot and I stayed at Standing Bear Farm in December. There was an October-starting NOBO there who made the astounding claim that 50% of the SOBOs he had encountered had been female. A few days later, when Snapshot and I reached Fontana Dam and had seen not one other female hiker beside me (college kids had started their Christmas break and several groups were in the Smokies), we were trying to figure out how he could have seen so many. My best explanation is that there were loads of other female SOBOs moving south at exactly my same rate of speed so I never overtook nor was overtaken by them.

Either that, or he was blowing smoke.

Marta/Five-Leaf

dperry
02-14-2007, 10:42
I married one, and I've gotta agree tiamalle.:banana I remember feeling the same way as you do Blackmath. Time, patience and outreach are all gonna help. Good luck!

I'm blessed to be engaged to one myself. It's interesting: while in many ways my fiancee is very feminine, she's not particularly fussy about her hygiene or her looks. Hence, she doesn't mind getting dirty and having to pee in the woods.

I've seen quite a few women while hiking; certainly in general, female hikers are not significantly outnumbered by men. However, as Shortstuff points out, the long-distance hiking community may be a different story.

Cookerhiker
02-14-2007, 10:50

My wife was a GS leader for 9 years and did everything she could to avoid camping trips. Part of the reason was the troop included several orthopedically-disabled girls but the real reason was that none of the leaders wanted it. One problem is the GS camping rules are very bureaucratic - I realize the need to stress hygiene but in my opinion they went overboard and were behind the times, e.g. still building wood fires for everything and not using stoves. That was over 15 years ago so ho;pefully things have changed.

gsingjane
02-14-2007, 12:04
To my knowledge Girl Scouts don't have a set of "camping rules" per se. There are safety requirements regarding adult/girl ratios and guidelines for certain outdoor activities, such as swimming, boating, and climbing, but there certainly isn't a requirement that only wood fires be used, for instance. Our outdoor training stressed using either cooking method, depending on the circumstances. The outdoors experience can be as rough or civilized as the individual leaders and girls choose - some troops do want to limit things to cabin camping, others will do a full-on backpacking trip. I think it's really sad when no camping happens at all, which is why I continually encourage folks with outdoor expertise to get involved and share that knowledge.

Remember, too... the age distribution and troop demographic in Girl Scouts is really different than in Boy Scouts. We have our biggest numbers in the early grades and by the time we get to 6th grade, there's a huge dropoff. Girls get really, really busy and for a variety of reasons (including the historic lack of a marquee award like Eagle) the numbers dwindle rapidly. We tend to have smaller troops of 4-8 girls after that 6th grade cutoff - a town might have 8 such troops, whereas the boys in a town who are in BSA are all in the same troop. By and large, leaders aren't taking younger (under 4th-5th grade) kids of either sex backpacking. (Yes, I know there are some really intrepid Cub dens, but that is not the norm.) So when you have that dropoff in numbers before the girls get to "prime" backpacking and camping age, you're just not going to see that many Girl Scout troops out there.

It might be the case that if Girl Scouts offered more intensive outdoors experiences, more girls might stick... but it might not. Just as in society as a whole, some people are outdoorsy but more people aren't. Right now my 7th graders are working on a Fashion Design interest project and they're as happy as they can be! I can't say that it's my taste, but it isn't about what I want, it's about what they want to discover and learn about, and what they think is fun.

It's like having kids in general, you can want them to like what you like, and you can expose them to it in ways that you think will spark an interest, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. I try to provide a high-quality program that includes the outdoors stuff but also gives the girls a chance to explore and experience a lot of different areas. It doesn't do me or the girls any good at all if I insist they all need to be Grizzly Adams, and wind up with a troop with one girl in it!

Jane in CT

Heather
02-14-2007, 22:04
Hi,
I hike every chance I get, especially since I moved to Harper's Ferry. There seemed to be plenty of women hiking Georgia when I was there (about 40w/60m). Ill be hiking North from Harper's Ferry this mid-march. Yahoo!

Heather
02-14-2007, 22:06
I mean mid-May...Yahoo! still.

Bravo
02-14-2007, 22:09
[quote=dperry;322136]I'm blessed to be engaged to one myself. It's interesting: while in many ways my fiancee is very feminine, she's not particularly fussy about her hygiene or her looks. Hence, she doesn't mind getting dirty and having to pee in the woods.
quote]

Yeah. Feminity has nothing to do with hygiene. Good for you for being able to tell the difference.

That being said, can she pee her name in the snow? That's how you really know she's a keeper.

Saturday934
04-21-2007, 17:38
I am so sorry, my husband will not go :mad:

bfitz
04-21-2007, 17:44
I am so sorry, my husband will not go :mad:hmmmmm.........;)

Brrrb Oregon
04-21-2007, 18:08
I'm guessing the female hikers are hiking on the trails instead of hiking on the internet.

Yes. Even if she is "spoken for", I would predict that your chances of finding a woman who hikes seriously and yet also has an internet habit is better on the trail....well, unless she is already married and has kids to stay home with.

I'd say that knowing how to make chocolate cheesecake and acting as if your mother did not raise you to expect someone else to pick up after you are good attributes, if you want to find one of these wily women. They are rare enough to know they can be very picky, after all. Also, don't drop your interest in talking to a woman as soon as you find out she's spoken for. Be a friendly, reasonable person, and treat her like another hiker that you are glad to have made acquaintance with. Listen to her opinions. This is just the sort of friendship that will convince her that you are worth introducing to her un-attached female friends....the ones who don't hike alone. ;)

bfitz
04-21-2007, 19:11
Actually, I've found that although the ratio of men to women at the local bar may seem to be much better, upon further analyses, most of those chicks don't rate, so the actual ratio of dudes to worthy chicks is about the same, since the ratio of wothwhile candidates to lame-o chicks is so much better on the trail. It's like a built-in coolness filter.

Brrrb Oregon
04-21-2007, 19:20
Actually, I've found that although the ratio of men to women at the local bar may seem to be much better, upon further analyses, most of those chicks don't rate, so the actual ratio of dudes to worthy chicks is about the same, since the ratio of wothwhile candidates to lame-o chicks is so much better on the trail. It's like a built-in coolness filter.

Hmmm. I can believe that works for guys looking for women. I'm not so sure it goes both ways, with the two major exceptions that a) the guys on the trail are sober enough to walk and b) most of them have somewhat more usefulness than teats on a boar, if only in bare survival skills.

Nevertheless, I'd at least choose the guy who looked for women outdoors over the one who hunted at an indoor inebriation fest as the man having better sense.

Pirate
04-21-2007, 19:52
Baltimore Jack was seen leaving Gatlinburg recently.

astrogirl
04-22-2007, 11:35

My husband hates going, so I go alone. :D

I like solo hiking anyway, so it's hardly a tragedy, but I know quite a few men who just can't take being that dirty or working that hard.

bfitz
04-22-2007, 15:48
....but I know quite a few men who just can't take being that dirty or working that hard.:p Sad but true. Just like success, real fun takes hard work.

I don't mind an inebriation fest, but not with a bunch of dumb, made up town bimbos without anything interesting to say. Give me a dirty, smelly, hairy contrary hiker babe any day. And a little dr. B's soap to go with.....

wolf
04-22-2007, 16:57
stop wining

rjridgely
04-22-2007, 18:30

This isnt a post about pinkblazing, just in general why is it so hard to find a girl that likes the outdoors? Seems like most of them are watching TV most of the time or screwing off on myspace. I say the hell with that nonsense go outside but no. And if you convince one to go out they complain the whole time. Maybe im just being cynical though. :mad:

My experience working in the outfitting community for many years....all the girls are kayaking somewhere.....freedom of the seas

ms doolittle
04-22-2007, 19:05
We're out there.... Hell, you should have seen the male/female ratio on a trip this past weekend. We girls nearly outnumbered the boys (Actually, it was 6:6, not including the 2 underaged boys) . Of course, I think only 3 of us were really single..... The rest were married or involved. ;)

Brrrb Oregon
04-22-2007, 19:13
My experience working in the outfitting community for many years....all the girls are kayaking somewhere.....freedom of the seas

As in, just because you pack it doesn't mean you have to pack it. Hmmm. :-?

Fiddleback
04-22-2007, 19:16
Just a hunch...but those that use the terms; 'chicks', 'worthy chicks', and 'lame-o chicks' probably won't find many of any of 'em.:D

FB

bfitz
04-22-2007, 22:20
Just a hunch...but those that use the terms; 'chicks', 'worthy chicks', and 'lame-o chicks' probably won't find many of any of 'em.:D

FBhmmmmm.......I'll take it under advisement.:rolleyes:

Lillianp
04-22-2007, 23:09
Its been cool reading all these thoughts.
I haven't been backpacking much yet (lazy/in college in ohio) but when I went last summer, it was with two girls. We were pretty gross by the end, but it was mucho fun.
Perhaps that is what should happen-more women should go hiking in groups together. Short hikes that is.
Me, I'm thinking about going solo on the AT at some point in the future (hopefully really soon, after college) but I have a feeling that I'll need to do a few more backpacking trips with these friends of mine before I feel confident enough to just go do the AT.
Just out of curiousity, what do you guys see as the "type" of women who go hiking? (I'm a women's studies/sociology major)

bfitz
04-22-2007, 23:17
Its been cool reading all these thoughts.
I haven't been backpacking much yet (lazy/in college in ohio) but when I went last summer, it was with two girls. We were pretty gross by the end, but it was mucho fun.
Perhaps that is what should happen-more women should go hiking in groups together. Short hikes that is.
Me, I'm thinking about going solo on the AT at some point in the future (hopefully really soon, after college) but I have a feeling that I'll need to do a few more backpacking trips with these friends of mine before I feel confident enough to just go do the AT.
Just out of curiousity, what do you guys see as the "type" of women who go hiking? (I'm a women's studies/sociology major)Every type. Of man and woman. This thread has been mostly joking around, but there's lierally every demographic, age group, subculture, what have you. What they have in common is they're not wimps. It's the kind of dream that attracts confident independant daring people who enjoy a challenge and are willing to exert themselves for a good time and aren't afraid of a different lifestyle.

Brrrb Oregon
04-22-2007, 23:30
Just out of curiousity, what do you guys see as the "type" of women who go hiking? (I'm a women's studies/sociology major)

Do you mean men "guys", or people "guys"? I'm female.

People who go hiking find a dearth of mirrors, transportation options, plumbing, including flush toilets and showers, utensils, refrigeration, changes of clothing, "feminine" footwear, and crowds. What passes for a crowd while hiking would be considered an eery emptiness at a mall.

When one hikes, there is usually a lot of quiet, dirt, rocks, slopes, fauna both crawly and hairy, and an immersion experience of both unmanicured flora and "undeveloped" vistas.

If you just want exercise, there are lots of ways to get it that don't involve getting dirty, finding yourself in the middle of nowhere if you tire out or suffer an injury, or taking your meals out in the weather. But you can pedal a long ways on a stationary bike and never feel you've gone anywhere or seen anything. Few people put "jogged 2,200 miles" on the same level of their life goals as "hiked the AT". There is a particular accomplishment involved when you've completed a particular hike. There is also an experience of the cosmos and yourself that most hikers feel a person can't get inside a building.

Although people in any walk of life might say, "What you do is not who you are" I'd say that hikers are more likely to say "you are what you do" or "show me what you do and I'll tell you who you are" than "you are what you look like" or "show me how you'll let people see you, and I'll tell you who you are." That is not to say hikers never care how they look, only that how you look is secondary to what you're doing at the time.

With our society's obsession with how women look, I think that makes women who choose hiking over some other activity, even some other exercise, a class of women who generally object to being made an object. They like to look nice, sure, but they don't want their looks to be a major part of their self-concept, or anyone else's concept of them.

That's my take.

bfitz
04-22-2007, 23:33
Hiker trash. It's a lifestyle. A culture.

Nightwalker
04-23-2007, 00:21
Hairy-legged, unshaved-armpit, dirty hiker women are more beautiful than all of the SI bikini models that I've ever seen.

It comes from the inside, and I LOVE 'em. :sun

Lillianp
04-23-2007, 08:08
Do you mean men "guys", or people "guys"? I'm female.

People who go hiking find a dearth of mirrors, transportation options, plumbing, including flush toilets and showers, utensils, refrigeration, changes of clothing, "feminine" footwear, and crowds. What passes for a crowd while hiking would be considered an eery emptiness at a mall.

When one hikes, there is usually a lot of quiet, dirt, rocks, slopes, fauna both crawly and hairy, and an immersion experience of both unmanicured flora and "undeveloped" vistas.

If you just want exercise, there are lots of ways to get it that don't involve getting dirty, finding yourself in the middle of nowhere if you tire out or suffer an injury, or taking your meals out in the weather. But you can pedal a long ways on a stationary bike and never feel you've gone anywhere or seen anything. Few people put "jogged 2,200 miles" on the same level of their life goals as "hiked the AT". There is a particular accomplishment involved when you've completed a particular hike. There is also an experience of the cosmos and yourself that most hikers feel a person can't get inside a building.

Although people in any walk of life might say, "What you do is not who you are" I'd say that hikers are more likely to say "you are what you do" or "show me what you do and I'll tell you who you are" than "you are what you look like" or "show me how you'll let people see you, and I'll tell you who you are." That is not to say hikers never care how they look, only that how you look is secondary to what you're doing at the time.

With our society's obsession with how women look, I think that makes women who choose hiking over some other activity, even some other exercise, a class of women who generally object to being made an object. They like to look nice, sure, but they don't want their looks to be a major part of their self-concept, or anyone else's concept of them.

That's my take.

I really liked your answer! And I did mean guys=both men and women. I might want to work on that. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
04-23-2007, 08:54
I saw at least one solo woman a day backpacking the JMT last year. The prevelance of women hikers on the JMT seemed to be much higher than on the AT.

So if you're looking for female hikers.... Go West!

gold bond
04-23-2007, 13:17
Boy Scouts have a unit called a Venturing Crew. This is a coed "crew" With males and females age 14-21. Each crew has to have a male and a female leader. The reason they are called "Venturing" Crews is because it is all about outdoor adventure. Backpacking, camping, rock climbing... It's all about the outdoors. If your area does not have a Venturing crew, check into it. Our area has a bunch. They as well do community service and have alot of fun. I am in the process of starting one at our church. Check into it if you have the time!

Lillianp
04-23-2007, 17:22
I saw at least one solo woman a day backpacking the JMT last year. The prevelance of women hikers on the JMT seemed to be much higher than on the AT.

So if you're looking for female hikers.... Go West!
I hate to sound like an idiot, but JMT?
What trail is that?
Lillian

Skidsteer
04-23-2007, 17:26
I hate to sound like an idiot, but JMT?
What trail is that?
Lillian

John Muir Trail (http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/muir.asp).

Lillianp
04-23-2007, 17:47
oh, cool.
I'll check the link out, thanks.
Lillian

LeeF
04-23-2007, 17:58
blackmath,
Finding outdoor women is easy. All you have to do is get engaged or married to a non-outdoor woman first. Then on every single backpacking trip after that you will run into women who share all your interests and are available. These women are usually the perfect match for your personality, can hold fascinating conversations, and not bad to look at either.

I believe it's a variation on the going to a party with a girl friend
phenomenon. You know how it works. Go to a party alone and there are no unattached ladies. Go to the same party with your girl friend and there will be dozens of available women. I could win the Nobel Peace Prize if I could solve this universal riddle.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-24-2007, 12:41
Right now my 7th graders are working on a Fashion Design interest project and they're as happy as they can be!
Jane in CT

It's funny - when I was in 7th grade I quit Girl Scouts because we spent all year working on a similar project. I got back into scouting at my high school when I joined a BS Explorer outdoors post. I was one of two girls who regularly went on trips, although our caving leader was a woman.

Jaybird
04-24-2007, 12:53
Where are you all? I know you must be out there somewhere.This isnt a post about pinkblazing, just in general why is it so hard to find a girl that likes the outdoors? Seems like most of them are watching TV most of the time or screwing off on myspace. ......BLAH<BLAH<BLAH.....

Man!
If youre looking for women that are of the MySpace generation....youre obviously looking for GIRLS or very young women....good luck!...& make sure it's LEGAL!:D

Wonder
04-25-2007, 14:20
I think that I'm from the last of the "tough girl" girl scout era. Both of my girl scout camps from my childhood have3 been closed....it's really sad

gsingjane
04-25-2007, 14:54
On a GS leader list the other day I read about a leader who, on an overnight, had a woman from Mary Kay come and teach the girls, while sitting around the campfire no less, how to do skin care. It's a good thing people can't hear you scream through the internet...

Jane in CT

mudhead
04-25-2007, 20:26
blackmath,
Finding outdoor women is easy. All you have to do is get engaged or married to a non-outdoor woman first. Then on every single backpacking trip after that you will run into women who share all your interests and are available. These women are usually the perfect match for your personality, can hold fascinating conversations, and not bad to look at either.

I believe it's a variation on the going to a party with a girl friend
phenomenon. You know how it works. Go to a party alone and there are no unattached ladies. Go to the same party with your girl friend and there will be dozens of available women. I could win the Nobel Peace Prize if I could solve this universal riddle.

Puzzle solved: It is a test. God is a woman.

bfitz
05-04-2007, 18:57
God is a woman.

That explains a lot, actually.

mweinstone
05-04-2007, 19:37
god. the big invisible giant who everybody talks to when there dieing.

Brrrb Oregon
05-07-2007, 16:06
Puzzle solved: It is a test. God is a woman.

god. the big invisible giant who everybody talks to when there dieing.

From what I've been told, God (forgive me, but I need the capital "G") will normally let you yammer on and on, whatever it is that you need to get off of your chest, but that if you're interested in hearing what God has to say, it usually requires your elective decision to be quiet and listen. (A famous story regarding Saul of Tarsus being one of the notable exceptions to that rule.)

That mode of communication--that is, to listen to all the talking that a person wants to do and yet not replying until the person actually gives you the space to do it--does not describe many human beings I know, giant or not, male or female, myself in particular included.

If you come across anyone like that, whether man, woman, or none of the above, don't wait until you're dead to strike up the conversation.

As to the topic of the thread, the question isn't whether there are women out on the trail. There are. You have to remember: even if you have a scraggly horse, you still only have to find one scraggly bush to tie it to. The question is this: if she meets you, is there a reason in the world she's going to want to give you the time of day? If you meet her, is the fact that she will allow herself to get farther than a single day's walk from a parking lot ensure that she's the one you'll want to be around when your two blown knees won't allow you to get a day's walk from a parking lot anymore?

If you were to learn to listen until someone gives you the room to talk, and then you were to find a woman who will return the favor--and if you learn to listen, you won't lack for someone who wants to talk to you--I say go for that one, whether she hikes or not.

BigwaveDave
05-07-2007, 20:00
Which is one reason I got rid of CreepyOldGuy as my trail name.

mudhead
05-07-2007, 20:10
If you want to see females on any trail, just fish your shorts liner back into place. There they are...

Tha Wookie
05-08-2007, 12:25
Be patient, don't look for her, let her come to you. How? Work from within to become attractive.

Be yourself, smile, take her for a walk, hold her hand, let HER tell YOU about the woods, if she chooses to.

and don't settle for anything less than what makes you happy. If YOU are truly happy, then SHE will find you because SHE likes a man who knows how to be happy from within.

Remember, the trail isn't what makes happiness. It's just a trail. It's how you RELATE to the trail. Tap into that secret, and the "trail" will always be with you.

Wildness abounds.

Mags
05-08-2007, 13:50
Be patient, don't look for her, let her come to you. How? Work from within to become attractive.

Be yourself, smile, take her for a walk, hold her hand, let HER tell YOU about the woods, if she chooses to.

and don't settle for anything less than what makes you happy. If YOU are truly happy, then SHE will find you because SHE likes a man who knows how to be happy from within.

Remember, the trail isn't what makes happiness. It's just a trail. It's how you RELATE to the trail. Tap into that secret, and the "trail" will always be with you.

Wildness abounds.

All wonderful advice. I also found that packing in brie, a baggette, dark chocolate and a .5 ltr of wine also works, too. (Worked me for this past weekend anyway :D Best date I've had a in a long time. Helps she is also intelligent, attractive..OK, I'm babbling. ;) )

In all seriousness, Wook is right. If you are happy, it shows. And no one wants a sourpuss.

With the outdoor group I mentioned earlier, there are many single people, esp. ones new to Colorado. The people who end up meeting someone are the ones who are in outdoors because it is where they are happiest. Where they have the most fun. And it shows.

Those who go on trips just to meet someone invariably have this air of desperation about them. Not the most attractive quality.

As Dad once told me "Do what you enjoy. The happiness will follow".

Applies to relationships, jobs and life in general.

ms doolittle
05-08-2007, 17:17
As Dad once told me "Do what you enjoy. The happiness will follow".

That's probably the best advice I've heard in a long, long time.

That was very profound, Wookie. Very good advice, indeed. :)

Smile
05-08-2007, 17:53
Dr. Wookie, I'm digging your advice - nice thoughts and you are correct about them all.

When is the book coming out?:)

Heather
05-08-2007, 18:54

Wildness abounds.

Very cool.

Rhino-lfl
05-09-2007, 09:59
They're all bathing nude in the waterhole behind my house. Hurry quick, they need more soap!!

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 11:38
They're all bathing nude in the waterhole behind my house. Hurry quick, they need more soap!!

I sure do wish Google Earth was real time.:(

Nightwalker
05-09-2007, 14:47
So, it seems Wookies advice is "on how to get skid-mark blazed."

Maybe a better title is needed. Hmmm...

Uncle Silly
05-14-2007, 15:16
Every type. Of man and woman. This thread has been mostly joking around, but there's lierally every demographic, age group, subculture, what have you. What they have in common is they're not wimps. It's the kind of dream that attracts confident independant daring people who enjoy a challenge and are willing to exert themselves for a good time and aren't afraid of a different lifestyle.

bingo, Dude. confidence is incredibly sexy.

as Rock sez, "No Snivelling!"

BigwaveDave
05-14-2007, 16:49
Blackie, If you think your going come hiking on my beloved AT and try and snake all my hot, sweaty, tired, smelly, hungry but unbelievably sexy women your out of line. After a hard days hike they would much rather be hanging with my tired, sweaty, hungry, smelly self. You've been warned.
BWD
"Not all who wander are lost"

Johnny Swank
05-14-2007, 17:42
I married one of them. Sorry guys :)

bfitz
05-15-2007, 17:19
There are many glorious examples out on the trail this year. I won't name any names, cuz I don't wanny give away any of my prospects, but the current crop is a fine example of the type of amazing hairy smelly hiker babes I have worshipped on this thread so far, and will continue to do so forever and ever. You all rock!!!!

Nightwalker
05-15-2007, 19:20
There are many glorious examples out on the trail this year. I won't name any names, cuz I don't wanny give away any of my prospects, but the current crop is a fine example of the type of amazing hairy smelly hiker babes I have worshipped on this thread so far, and will continue to do so forever and ever. You all rock!!!!

There ain't no chick like a hiker chick. I don't have one of them, but at least mine's a hiker-loving chick. One hiker in particular. :-)

Wonder
05-16-2007, 10:43

Thank you, thank you ***hiker chick bows****
If it weren't for all you hiker guys drooling all over us, we'd just all be the smelly hairy tom-boys the town-boys are scared of.:D

Jaybird
05-16-2007, 10:45
Where are you all? I know you must be out there somewhere.This isnt a post about pinkblazing, just in general why is it so hard to find a girl that likes the outdoors? ...............................................

Yo B...

are U checking out all the bars along the trail????
hehehehehehe:D

Wonder
05-16-2007, 10:46
Hiker boys ain't too bad themselves. And anyway.....they're interchangable
tall, skiny. white, long hair and a beard...... sound like anyone y'all know???
See....told ya

Brrrb Oregon
05-16-2007, 10:53
All wonderful advice. I also found that packing in brie, a baggette, dark chocolate and a .5 ltr of wine also works, too. (Worked me for this past weekend anyway :D Best date I've had a in a long time. Helps she is also intelligent, attractive..OK, I'm babbling. ;)

Actually, this general advice worked on me. Learn how to make a really great chocolate dessert, and don't forget the strawberries. That little bit of attention to detail says a lot.

Still, he cooked the steaks to well by accident, too, and I still took him. If you want to be chosen by a woman with lots of choices, it helps to be a catch.

minnesotasmith
05-16-2007, 14:53
Instead, for those wanting to encourage young girls to enjoy fellowship in the outdoors in a safe, wholesome manner, check out this alternative instead:

The Girl Scouts have gone too PC, at least at the national level, to be a first choice to entrust girls to IMO. A good-sized group of traditionalist Girl Scout leaders have formed an alternative organization intended to be the successor organization to the GSA, that still holds to what the GSA used to be (and the Boy Scouts largely still are, bless them). It's called "Heritage Girls", they've been around for 12 years, and they're in at least 32 states:

http://www.ahgonline.org/

Mags
05-16-2007, 15:20
IIt's called "Heritage Girls", they've been around for 12 years, and they're in at least 32 states:

http://www.ahgonline.org/

What if you are Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist or even non-religious? Guess you are SOL! :)

also re: MEN COOKING: All the Magnanti men know how to cook. I dare say that we all cooked better than the women we've dated. I don't say this to Mom , but Dad is a better cook. :) (Of course Grandma was the benchmark we all aspire to...)

pokeyhontas98
05-16-2007, 15:30
I wish my husband was more of a nature enthusiast, but he has other great attributes. He does enjoy light hiking but he is a city guy and prefers hotels over camping outside. I planned our first vacation together several years back, we didn't have a lot of money to spend at the time so I planned a section hike on the AT for a week. The first night my husband stayed awake all night long with his headlamp on cursing at the mice. That was the end of that we spent the rest of the week in a hotel, eating trail food in our hotel room. I plan on doing a thruhike in the future and he's okay with it ( the trail's not for everyone but if you find a mate who enjoys it i'm sure all the better if not enjoy it anyway).

Turtle2
05-17-2007, 14:12
Have faith! Last year there were 13 women at one shelter in PA. Far outnumbered the men. Most were not traveling together. It must have been a vortex that drew us there that day.

Lots of women on the trail. Did you ever think you are looking too hard?

Nightwalker
05-21-2007, 02:26
What if you are Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist or even non-religious?

Uh, join the Girl Scouts? :D

Uncle Silly
05-23-2007, 13:08
Hiker boys ain't too bad themselves. And anyway.....they're interchangable
tall, skiny. white, long hair and a beard...... sound like anyone y'all know???

hey.... i resemble that remark!!

ands52
05-23-2007, 13:27
We're out there! Planning a 2009 NOBO myself!

Belgarion
05-31-2007, 11:31
I respect any woman who hikes the trail, especially as a solo hiker. Yes, men do out number women by a margin of about 4 to 1 but they are out there. The thing is, one word MEN needs to be applied to ANY woman you meet on the trail.....RESPECT! If you want more women to hike the trail, treat them with RESPECT, then word will get around and there will be more of them out there enjoying all the beauty that nature and the trail has to offer.

jodestick
06-01-2007, 07:07
I saw Turtle leaving Mt. Harbour on Monday.

jodestick
06-01-2007, 07:08
Oh, and I saw Squirrel at Curley Maple Gap on Sunday.

Wonder
06-01-2007, 12:34
Now that I"m back in West Chester....I'm wondering where the hiker chicks are too!!!! Women here are already managing to annoy me.....they all look and act the sme. Line them up next to each other and you have one heck of a wind tunnel. I think this is why I get along with the women on the trail..... it takes a certian kind to get out there. I miss you, sisters!

bfitz
06-08-2007, 11:28
Line them up next to each other and you have one heck of a wind tunnel.
Hmmmmmm.........;)

gimpy68
06-08-2007, 13:31
I'm a woman hiker (hiker chick) and I had to raise my three sons,and be there for my husband for the past 21 years. Their needs and wants usually came before mine. Now I finally feel like I can take off and hike on my own schedule. It's been along time coming, but I'm so glad its finally here. So maybe it's easier for the men to get away during the child raising years. :p

Harpua
10-26-2011, 21:25
their on the northern terminus of the long trail, really.

Harpua
10-26-2011, 21:56
their all in the northern terminus of the long trail, really.

Northern Lights
10-26-2011, 22:42
Nah, we've recently returned from our first section hike and are now diligently planning our next 200 miles.

SassyWindsor
10-26-2011, 23:35
Maybe the women are actually hiking and not here talking about hiking :D

Amanita
10-27-2011, 00:35
In the same mysterious location as female engineers? Face it, society steers girls away from certain things.

I went on a solo section and almost all the day hikers kept asking "You're hiking alone? isn't that dangerous?" One said "I wouldn't feel comfortable without a man with me, what if you see a bear?" to which my response was "And what's he going to do about a bear that I couldn't?"

All the ladies have to push past a heaping pile of negativity in order to go out solo. Of course if we find a male who wants to go with us a lot of that negativity goes away, but most of the guys I know are all about modern conveniences and creature comforts too.

jlo
10-27-2011, 01:00
It's like that old song by No Doubt "I'm just a girl". Even if you want to hike, everyone tells you not to, so I see why some girls give up and stay at home. Personally, I ended up hiking all summer alone because no girls would join me and it was an uphill fight to "be allowed" to go out and do it. Us chicks are out there though.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2011, 09:33
http://www.traildames.com/

max patch
10-27-2011, 09:41
Seems like most of them are watching TV most of the time or screwing off on myspace. :mad:

Nah, they've all moved on to facebook.:)

Echraide
10-27-2011, 17:07
FWIW I've met very few single guys my age when I'm hiking. The ones who were single were usually divorced and 50+. I met very few 30-something people in general on my thru. Most hikers were younger - just out of high school or college - or older and had just retired. There was very little in between.

Northern Lights
10-28-2011, 01:29
In the same mysterious location as female engineers? Face it, society steers girls away from certain things.

I went on a solo section and almost all the day hikers kept asking "You're hiking alone? isn't that dangerous?" One said "I wouldn't feel comfortable without a man with me, what if you see a bear?" to which my response was "And what's he going to do about a bear that I couldn't?"

All the ladies have to push past a heaping pile of negativity in order to go out solo. Of course if we find a male who wants to go with us a lot of that negativity goes away, but most of the guys I know are all about modern conveniences and creature comforts too.

That was the concensus when I was out there this fall. I think we just have to get out there and do it more, and then it will become the norm. I do have to give credit to them men I met out there though. They never made me feel inferior to them, gave me sage advice on hiking alone. So there are some very supportive men out there.

Amanita
10-28-2011, 01:39
That was the concensus when I was out there this fall. I think we just have to get out there and do it more, and then it will become the norm. I do have to give credit to them men I met out there though. They never made me feel inferior to them, gave me sage advice on hiking alone. So there are some very supportive men out there.

Haha, like I said it was the dayhikers who seemed to think I was courting death not having a man to "protect me." One night hikers seemed more "I wish I could do that." Anyone who'd been out more than a week had not a hint of disapproval. Just goes to show how those who've been there don't find it as scary as those who would never try.

Gaiter
10-28-2011, 09:51
FWIW I've met very few single guys my age when I'm hiking. The ones who were single were usually divorced and 50+. I met very few 30-something people in general on my thru. Most hikers were younger - just out of high school or college - or older and had just retired. There was very little in between.

sad but true!!!

I've had plenty of men to assume that I don't know what i'm doing, and immediately start giving me advice on every little piece of gear, its one of my pet peaves, usually they start to realize that its not my first rodeo, i think given my looks, young and plus size, they never expect me to be an experienced hiker, even on my long trips, weekend hikers would assume that i was just out for the weekend too, always shocked to find that nope i was out for the long haul...

Nutbrown
10-28-2011, 10:16
This has been an interesting read... Every summer 3-4 of my girlfriends go on a section hike. The 1st summer it was just me, the there were 2, next time it became 4... next summer we might have 6. That is a very small fraction of the amount of women I've asked, but our #'s are growing. And just got my daughter (6yo) a pair of zip off pants and she can't wait to go hiking with me.

I'm not sure how I feel about the girl scouts. I have a big problem with the organization being anti gay. It doesn't teach equality and morals. ....and it was said in an earlier post, they don't have a special culmination to equal Eagle scout. What's there to work towards? Being prom queen and making your own dress? I dropped out of brownies because I wanted to camp with my brother, not learn how to sew.

Northern Lights
11-26-2011, 00:20
sad but true!!!

I've had plenty of men to assume that I don't know what i'm doing, and immediately start giving me advice on every little piece of gear, its one of my pet peaves, usually they start to realize that its not my first rodeo, i think given my looks, young and plus size, they never expect me to be an experienced hiker, even on my long trips, weekend hikers would assume that i was just out for the weekend too, always shocked to find that nope i was out for the long haul...

That is unfortunate. I think the advice I was given was no different than they would have offered up to the male hiker. I'm a chunky hiker too, and I never felt that came in to play as far as the men making assumptions about my abilities. I was usually the one asking them about equipment they had. What is readily available in Canada vs the US is quite different. I was intrigued to see some of the stuff they had.

Pages
11-26-2011, 07:39
....and notice how it is all guys that have replied so far. I am a hiker chick so they are out there. Wow.. it sounds kind of like 'biker chick' only it's 'hiker chick' but cooler. My mum said I couldn't get a motorcycle unless it was over her dead body so I guess I will have to stick to walking.

either that, or tell your mum "her time has come!"

Ladyofthewoods
11-26-2011, 09:27
We're out there more and more! I belong to net sites for women only because some of the topic's on places like this seem to veer off into serious joke/putdown kind of fun whereas the other sites, we joke a little but it's all about teaching other females how to get out there safely to experience the great outdoors! I'm planning my thru-hike for Spring 2012 even as I type this...can't wait.

max patch
11-26-2011, 11:09
Apparently they at the Penthouse Hostel in Armenia.

Sailing_Faith
11-26-2011, 11:44
Just a thought....

... Hiking is not a 'male thing', but a 'human thing'. The beauty of being outdoors, the healing energy of the trail, the adventure of the experience transcends gender.

Much like sailing (my other passion) it seems to me that it is worthwhile to look for opportunities to share the experience with people you know (whatever their gender). Some will love it, others will hate it... but I submit that sharing one's passion with another is a great way to connect to people, whatever their gender. How much better to share the experience with another?

.... Least any think that (heartfelt) reply is too PC, A backpack may well be the ultimate fashion accessory. :)

Tinker
11-26-2011, 12:45
Just a thought....

... Hiking is not a 'male thing', but a 'human thing'. The beauty of being outdoors, the healing energy of the trail, the adventure of the experience transcends gender.

Much like sailing (my other passion) it seems to me that it is worthwhile to look for opportunities to share the experience with people you know (whatever their gender). Some will love it, others will hate it... but I submit that sharing one's passion with another is a great way to connect to people, whatever their gender. How much better to share the experience with another? .... Least any think that (heartfelt) reply is too PC, A backpack may well be the ultimate fashion accessory. :)

So hiking is a trans-gender thing?? ;) :D

I tend to look at nature, adventure, solitude, etc. in a romantic light, and most folks agree that nature puts them in that frame of mind regarding other human beings as well. It seems to bring out the best in folks, being out there, enjoying what I call God's creation. There's not much prettier than being somewhere where the works of man's manipulating hand is somewhat veiled.

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2011, 15:30
I am always amazed when someone pulls a very old thread from the bottom of the heap....

Praha4
11-26-2011, 15:48
they're out there, but you'll find most of them hiking in the shopping malls instead of on the trail ! :)