PDA

View Full Version : rustic italian bread

MikeG
02-13-2007, 00:54
im looking for a rustic italian bread recipe. just a simple bread i can bake over the fire.

Hana_Hanger
02-13-2007, 06:22
http://www.wildernessdining.com/cl30104.html

I know this is not exactly what you were looking for...but it looks good :)

One small loaf...

1/2 cup of tepid water
2/3 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 and 1/2 cups of bread flour
1 teaspoon of yeast

you can sprinkle on the corn meal
are you planning on frying over a campfire or stove?
You would need the oil...this is one ruff recipe.

Mix ingredients let stand 10 to 15 minutes
Break off a ball of dough....punch hole in center
Fry in hot oil till light golden brown
drain on paper towel

or another site for fry breads...
http://www.manataka.org/page180.html

Mags
02-13-2007, 15:02
im looking for a rustic italian bread recipe. just a simple bread i can bake over the fire.

Ah.... throw in some capicola, some provolone and some marinanted roasted red peppers, too. A red table wine. A spring day on the patio when the flowers are blooming... Good stuff.

OK, I'll shut up now and post a link:
http://www.google.com/search?q=rustic+italian+bread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I am not sure how make this over a campfire per se. I imagine getting a bank of coals would be best. And modifying a a camping bread recipe as approprite would be the way to go.

Grinder
02-13-2007, 17:07
basic bread: like peasant of french.
3 cups flour ,1 cup water, yeast makes a pound loaf.
teaspoon of salt is good.
everything else is extra.

Add water to flour and knead. Let rise, shape loaf and bake

Fats or oils make a softer crumb (closer to commercial white bread)

How you bake it is the question.

flat bread pan fried.

That rope of dough coiled around a stick had promise. I haven't had a chance to try it out

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Grinder
02-13-2007, 17:07
basic bread: like peasant or french.

Add water to flour and knead. Let rise, shape loaf and bake

flat bread pan fried.

That rope of dough coiled around a stick had promise. I haven't had a chance to try it out

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Grinder
02-13-2007, 17:09
basic bread: like peasant or french.

Add yeast to water. Mix in flour and knead. Let rise, shape loaf and bake

flat bread pan fried.

That rope of dough coiled around a stick has promise. I haven't had a chance to try it out

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Grinder
02-13-2007, 17:11
big whoops!!!

I thought I was editing. Wrong forum.

Anyone who can is welcome to delete the first two.

Sorry

Tom

ImkerVS
02-14-2007, 00:07
http://survival.com/IVB/index.php?showtopic=6724&hl=bread

Has a bread recipe. Probably could use the Bakepacker and not even take it out of the plastic bag.

If you don't know about the Bakepacker:

http://www.bakepacker.com/

MikeG
02-14-2007, 01:19
thanks for the help guys. i cook for a living and im going to be going to culinary school....i love to cook! anyways my point is i take my cooking on the trails and i figured it would be nice to make bread on my next hike.

heres my plan for the bread.

make the dough batter to fit in a 2 litter stainless steel pot. ( have it fill less than half) have a hot fire going then bury the pot with lid in the coals, and then cover it with more coals. 8 minuts will probboly be sufficiant due to high heat levels but im going to play around and see how it turns out.

also i think im going to use semolina flour instead of bleach white.

Heater
02-14-2007, 08:13
thanks for the help guys. i cook for a living and im going to be going to culinary school....i love to cook! anyways my point is i take my cooking on the trails and i figured it would be nice to make bread on my next hike.

heres my plan for the bread.

make the dough batter to fit in a 2 litter stainless steel pot. ( have it fill less than half) have a hot fire going then bury the pot with lid in the coals, and then cover it with more coals. 8 minuts will probboly be sufficiant due to high heat levels but im going to play around and see how it turns out.

also i think im going to use semolina flour instead of bleach white.

Don't know how well that's going to work in a Stainless Pot. You might want to layer some rocks over the coals to keep them from direct contact with the steel and for heat control. If the rocks don't explode your in buisness.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-14-2007, 09:28
I echo what Austex has said - you need some rocks or wet leaves (think whole pig roast in a pit) or wet wood or earth to insulate the pot from the coals or you will have charcoal and raw dough in your pot! If you use something that would be flamable if dry, be sure you do this so the material cannot get enough air to flame up.

MikeG
02-15-2007, 00:01
ive made similar bread using this method. by making small batches it cooks throughout. i dont put the pot directly in the fire, its covered in coals.

weary
02-15-2007, 07:03
I've always found that a yeast bread is too difficult on the trail, especially in the early and late months when it's too cold for the bread to rise, properly.

My mail drops, however, included a homemade bisquick mix using half whole wheat and half white flour, that I used for pancakes, and bread. I just cooked one side in a bit of oil in a non stick coated aluminum pie plate and then flipped it over to cook the other side. Not every day, but a couple of times a week.

The Zip Stove was ideal, but any stove that simmers would work. When stuck in a shelter by storms I would occasionally feed everyone there. I supplied the pancakes. Others usually contributed the honey.

Weary