PDA

View Full Version : Penn. Maps

SergeStorms
02-13-2007, 19:38
I went to the ATC website today to order maps for Pennsylvania. They were $40. This is more than twice as much as the other map sets. Does anyone know why the PA maps cost so much? Are they worth the price?

emerald
02-13-2007, 20:05
As someone who lives in Pennsylvania and is a current member of a Pennsylvania A.T. maintaining club, I appreciate your question and look forward to following this thread and those serious replies it generates.

While maybe not unique in this sense, the A.T. in Pennsylvania traverses corridor lands managed by quite a variety of agencies which to some extent have different management objectives and also regulations. The maps you said you ordered are quite detailed and will aid you in determining where you are with respect to these boundaries.

I believe they will serve your needs well.

Jester2000
02-13-2007, 20:12
. . . and those serious replies it generates.

You don't really think many of the posts will be serious, do you?

Anyway, I know that they were updated, what, 2 years ago,and I find them to be some of the best map sections of the trail. Multicolored, wider corridor than other maps (so you can see where roads go), very detailed.

Useful, even.

Plus, unlike the actual state, you can't see any of the rocks.

So I think they're worth it, but I suppose it all depends on how much you like having maps. They're not a necessity, so if it were a choice between them and, say, spending the forty bucks buying me dinner, I'd go with dinner.

mountain squid
02-13-2007, 20:14
While I don't know for certain, I would surmise that it has to do with the length of the trail thru PA. Additionally, that $40 also includes the guide book. VA has 4 different sections and has more miles of the AT than any other state. To purchase all of them would cost considerably more than the PA section.

Yes, I would say it is worth it. The maps, at least (plenty of threads concerning the need for maps). You might be able to get away without the guide book, though. But, personally, if I didn't already have the book, I would buy it also.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

SergeStorms
02-13-2007, 20:24
I like maps, therefore I carry them. I'm just wondering what makes the PA maps worth an extra $25. I don't really care about the guidebook for PA, as I won't be taking it on the trail with me. Jester, you say they were recently updated. Are they on par with the Maine map set? The Maine maps are very good and worth the price. If the PA maps are like those for Virginia then I don't think it's worth the price. Forty dollars seems like a lot for one state when I just bought the maps for CT, MA, VT, NH, and the 2007 Databook for less than $40 a few weeks ago.

emerald
02-13-2007, 20:26
You don't really think many of the posts will be serious, do you?

Sometimes they are and that kind are often more helpful to individuals trying to improve the experiences of hikers and give them more value for their money. I know some may see that as an absurd idea!:rolleyes: ;)

I will watch, see what comes of it and pass on anything useful. :-? If it doesn't seem worth my time any longer on the whole, I can find other things to do with my time that are more lucrative.

emerald
02-13-2007, 20:34
Try to be open minded. But not so open minded that your brains leak out of your head.

I like the idea behind it. There should be limits to what reasonable people will accept and those things should be discussed. Other viewpoints, once understood, sometimes seem more reasonable.

rafe
02-13-2007, 20:38
What's interesting is that in my map set from 1990, the PA maps are hands-down the worst of the lot. :rolleyes:

Jester2000
02-13-2007, 20:39
Jester, you say they were recently updated. Are they on par with the Maine map set? The Maine maps are very good and worth the price. If the PA maps are like those for Virginia then I don't think it's worth the price.

They are better than Virginia, but I am contractually obligated to say that Maine's are better, as a certain Billville member was involved in their creation.

Sometimes they are and that kind are often more helpful to individuals trying to improve the experiences of hikers and give them more value for their money. I know some may see that as an absurd idea!:rolleyes: ;)

That's completely insane.

emerald
02-13-2007, 20:55
What's interesting is that in my map set from 1990, the PA maps are hands-down the worst of the lot.:rolleyes:

I don't have a complete set of maps issued in 1990 here at the moment T2, and I'm not sure what purpose would be served by comparing what was issued in 1990. Comparing what's now available might be of some utitlity.

This thread seems to be going nowhere fast as it was likely to from the start.

SergeStorms, if you're a hiker who's bought maps, don't pre-judge them. Just wait and see, you might be pleasantly surprised.

jamarshall
02-13-2007, 21:05
You can buy the maps without the book. PA was the first state I did, so I was spoiled by the detail on these maps (and all PATC maps). Now I'm working my way north, and am not as happy with the NJ/NY maps. SInce I love maps, I always carry them. But you don't "need" too.

-Dogpaw

Jester2000
02-13-2007, 21:09
This thread seems to be going nowhere fast as it was likely to from the start.

"Going nowhere fast" is a pretty good description of hiking the AT.

emerald
02-13-2007, 21:34
You can buy the maps without the book. PA was the first state I did, so I was spoiled by the detail on these maps (and all PATC maps). Now I'm working my way north, and am not as happy with the NJ/NY maps. SInce I love maps, I always carry them. But you don't "need" too.

-Dogpaw

PATC compiles the maps south of the Susquehanna River, the remainder as well as the guide book itself and the other maps are published by Keystone Trails Association.

I believe I am correct in saying that MATC and KTA are the only clubs that publish their own A.T. guides, the remainder are published by ATC.

There are more knowledgeable people who lurk here who will correct my factual errors if I'm wrong and I will be happy to edit and/or acknowledge any errors. My wish is inform and to provide good information only.

saimyoji
02-13-2007, 22:00
As a PA hiker and map advocate I can attest to the fact that the PA maps will not cause brain leakage. They will help you navigate your way between the white spots on the trees and occaisionally give you an interesting historical lecture. Sometimes they even include distance to towns, elevation and some other map type info. stuff. They are quite handy for occupying your break times between those white spots.

Are they worth $40? What are maps worth to you? Are they worth your life? Will the PA maps save your life? Well, they won't cause brain leakage, and I'd call that life saving.

I paid the $39.99 for the set w/ guide book included (at EMS). There are absolutely some vital peices of info NOT included on the maps, like some road crossings, some local trail crossings, water sources...but I've worn through my local section already. I don't hike without them....wait, I need to grab a tissue....what's that?.....hmmmm seems to be little bits of brain leaking from my ear.....:eek:

Jester2000
02-13-2007, 22:02
My wish is inform and to provide good information only.

I am now convinced that Shades of Gray is a robot.

rafe
02-13-2007, 22:04
I don't have a complete set of maps issued in 1990 here at the moment T2, and I'm not sure what purpose would be served by comparing what was issued in 1990.

It's irrelevant. Ignore it.

emerald
02-13-2007, 22:22
I am now convinced that Shades of Gray is a robot.

You have at last figured me out, but I got away with it for almost 800 posts. I send a lot of PMs too!:p

Obviously, some tweaks will be required before I try again under a new screen name.;)

Jack Tarlin
02-13-2007, 22:25
$40.00 does seem expensive. But a few things to consider:

*It drops to $32.00 if you're an ATC member.
*Some of the other maps (Maryland/Northern VA; Shenandoah Park) are
$32.95, so it's not just Pennsylvania that runs a bit high on pricing.
*With the exception of Maine, the PA maps are the BEST done map sections
of the entire Trail; a great deal of work and trouble went into the last
update and revisions.
*There's 229 miles of Trail in PA; this means your maps will cost you about
17 cents a mile; it drops to around 14 cents a mile if you join the ATC.

I remember one wickedly hot day North of Duncannon in mid-July when we totally ran out of water and were MILES away from any listed source, or any road, for that matter. We were kind of screwed til we checked our maps, and found a stream about a mile off the Trail down an abandoned road. Our asses were TOTALLY saved.

We got a helluva lot more than 14 cents worth on THAT day....... :-?

c.coyle
02-14-2007, 09:01
... Anyway, I know that they were updated, what, 2 years ago,and I find them to be some of the best map sections of the trail. Multicolored, wider corridor than other maps (so you can see where roads go), very detailed...

I think they were last updated in 1998. They are excellent. And $40 is the non-member price.

Lobo
02-14-2007, 09:43
Section 7 & 8, Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap was upgraded in 2004. Got mine at EMS for $ 7.50.

dperry
02-14-2007, 10:27
I believe I am correct in saying that MATC and KTA are the only clubs that publish their own A.T. guides, the remainder are published by ATC.

PATC publishes the Maryland/Northern Virginia and Shenandoah guides.

What's interesting is that in my map set from 1990, the PA maps are hands-down the worst of the lot. :rolleyes:I've seen the old ones, which were basically just black-and-white-copies of topo maps that were then marked up. As others have noted, the current ones are about 3000% better. They're digital, have good detail, show plenty of the terrain to both sides of the trail, mileage right on the map, colorful, etc. I don't like the PATC maps quite as much, but they're certainly good quality too.

Toolshed
02-14-2007, 10:28
Haven't seen Maine yet, but have seen NVA, MD, NY/NJ, MA/CT & PA - It was also my first state. I think PA is well worth the money. You can always sell them on Ebay for $25 when you are done (as long as they are in reasonably good shape.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 10:28
yeah. the old PA maps totally sucked

EarlyBird2007
02-14-2007, 11:29
I went to the ATC website today to order maps for Pennsylvania. They were $40. This is more than twice as much as the other map sets. Does anyone know why the PA maps cost so much? Are they worth the price?

FYI, the PA maps are also available through Susquehanna Appalachian Trail Club. I see on SATC's website they are $18.00, although that is the price for members. The guide to PA is $7 more. I don't know if they sell them to non-members at a higher price. I'm a member of SATC, but not active in leadership of that club. One thing you could do is join SATC for only $10 and then buy the maps. That's a total of only $28. By the way, the ATC price of $40 ($32 for members) is for both the maps and the guide. The PA guide is nice, but you don't really need it to hike the AT in PA.

Here's a link to the SATC website: www.satc-hike.org/ (http://www.satc-hike.org/)