PDA

View Full Version : boots for beginng the trail

worms222
02-13-2007, 21:07
I am running late on getting my boots and need some advice for a good starting boot. Lightweight, breathable and quick drying but tough enough for the weight and miles. someone said the montrail stratos but it doesnt look like it could make it. any advice

bigmac_in
02-13-2007, 21:55
Go with Trail runners.

rafe
02-13-2007, 22:27
FWIW (which ain't much) I just picked up a comfy pair of Wolverine "Fulton" (http://www.wolverine.com/Product/Wolverine/MID-HIKERS/Mens/Fulton-Wolverine-Mid-Cut-Hiker.aspx) mid-height boots at Bob's Stores for $45. I'm a conniseur of cheap footwear. Did I mention they were very comfy?

Schulo
02-13-2007, 22:29
I like Keen. Light weight, water proof. They come in a low shoe and a midheight ankle. I also like the Merrell chamellion but my heel doesnt want to stay put in them. Maybe better with a quality foot bed. It boils down to the fact that everyones feet are different, so you should go to a quality outfitter and try some on. Good luck Choose wisely:)

saimyoji
02-13-2007, 22:48
Wally World has some cheap and decent hiking shoes....;)

Mountain Maiden
02-13-2007, 23:26
I am running late on getting my boots and need some advice for a good starting boot. Lightweight, breathable and quick drying but tough enough for the weight and miles. someone said the montrail stratos but it doesnt look like it could make it. any advice

There's lots of posts with lots of good advice--but the boot thing is really sooo individual!

Go to a GOOD outfitter and get measured and fitted, accordingly.

If you have something that you already like and can hike the first 270 miles to Hot Spgs, I would recommend Bluff Mtn Outfitters for sure! I walked the last 40 miles into there barefoot (literally!) due to a pair of poor -fitting boots I was sold at the Happy:mad:Hiker in Gatlinburg.

Daniel, at BMO, measured and fitted me for a pair of Hi-tecs that were on sale and I wore them all the way to Katahdin!! Never had a blister. Feet didn't hurt (any more than the usual) and they were fairly lightweight. After 1800 miles--they were understandably a little worse for the wear but it was the best $49.95 I spent on the entire Trail!

I have had two pairs, since and still love 'em!

Good Luck on your choice and your hike!
:sun

Jim Adams
02-13-2007, 23:38
Just a suggestion--Vasque Sundowners---gore-tex for the early snows, cold rains and mud. Light, comfortable and lots of miles of wear plus you may want them back for the Whites and Maine or have a nice broken-in pair of boots post hike. Just a suggestion.
geek

gearhound
02-14-2007, 01:49
The sundowners may take a while to break in. Seeing how the OP said running behind on boots check out the Vasque Breeze or Breeze Low, depending on your preference. Feels like a tennis shoe out of the box, but performs like a true boot on the trail. lunchbox did the whole trail last year in these.

Jim Adams
02-14-2007, 01:54
Gearhound,
Good to hear about the Breeze. I'm hiking the PCT in them this year. I just wasn't sure if they would be dry and warm enough for early season AT hiking.
geek

SteveJ
02-14-2007, 03:53
I like Keen. Light weight, water proof. They come in a low shoe and a midheight ankle. I also like the Merrell chamellion but my heel doesnt want to stay put in them. Maybe better with a quality foot bed. It boils down to the fact that everyones feet are different, so you should go to a quality outfitter and try some on. Good luck Choose wisely:)

I bought a pair of Keen's last spring. Wore them on backpacking trips twice and the rubber rand (right term?) above the toes began separating from the body of the shoe - allowing water to seep in these 'waterproof' shoes....hated it, because I'm picky about comfort, and these were very comfortable....took 'em back to REI.....may have been a faulty pair. I've had great experience w/ Merrell waterproof boots when I feel that I need waterproof, so I'm back in them - when I don't feel that I need waterproof boots, I hike in New Balance cross trainers or trail runners.....

Heater
02-14-2007, 04:02

Merrell shoes fit my feet well so I'll start out with the Pulse II (Waterproof - Mid height) and switch to my Ventilator II after the smokies or whenever the Pulse II boots wear out.

They have the same sole and footbed which is a good thing for a easy switch. I have been wearing Merrells for a couple of years and really like them but your feet may not.

rafe
02-14-2007, 09:02
Gearhound,
Good to hear about the Breeze. I'm hiking the PCT in them this year. I just wasn't sure if they would be dry and warm enough for early season AT hiking.
geek

Vasque Breeze are very comfy, but anything but dry. Wore a pair on my last section. Five minutes of walking in wet grass and they're soaked through.

Mountain Maiden
02-14-2007, 09:14

Hmmm--I didn't think they were really THAT lightweight. But, nevertheless, I love the concept and really wanted to wear them. Bought a pair.
Can't wear them! They seem heavy on my feet and make my feet/legs ache after a short while. :(

Again, everyone is different--as Schulo says--Choose Wisely!

:sun

TurkeyBacon
02-14-2007, 10:05
I love my garmont veagan (I realy don't care that there is no cow in them). I heard that the veagans have a medium sized form, but will fit narrow feet (I have narrow feet). My left boot has formed a crease that goes away with tight laces. They are still uber comfortable, lightweight and good for my weak ankles. If you have a narrow foot, they will fit better than Vasque. Vasque has a wide toebox that can create a pinch in the toes that hurts if you don't have a foot to fill the boot. Break in on the veagans are pretty non existant.
I aggree with others however. Try a bunch on an go with what fits the best.
TB

icemanat95
02-14-2007, 11:39
Anyone who tells you categorically to "Get this" or "Get that" can be safely ignored.

Find the boot that fits your foot well and suits the weight you will be carrying and your ankle strength. The critical thing is fit...very little else matters. Stick to the major makers to get a better shot at lasting durability.

I've worn Vasque Sundowners and Alpines. Montrail Moraines, a couple different Merrells and a few other things down the years. Right now I wear Merrell Chameleon Ventilators and have worn them for three-season trips in the Whites without significant complaint other than that the ventilator feature can get chilly when the wind is blowing cold above treeline.

My Montrail Moraines took a dogs age to dry out when they got wet and I'd soak them out from the inside every day. My Chameleon's get wet from the rain pretty much instantly, but dry out pretty quick on a dry day of hiking. They are quite light on the foot as well and have good grippy vibram soles.

I have a high arch though, and this requires an after market insole. I prefer the Sore Dawgs model, a stiff insole that wears well over time and provides TONS of arch support. I have also used Sorbothane Ultras and Spencos with good results. I need to try Superfeet and the new, stiffer Spencos, but I have little real impetus to do so since I'm pretty damned happy with the Sore Dawgs.

Try stuff out. Try things out at the end of a long day on your feet, when your feet are sore and swollen...that's the default condition on the trail anyhow and will give a good indicator of real fit. Find what is comfortable and buy it.

On the trail, try out boots at outfitters along the way, you will get a better idea about what suits you as you hike. Do NOT buy several sets of boots in advance, a lot can change in your feet under the daily wear and tear.

Newb
02-14-2007, 12:13
I wear Hi-Tecs. They fit me perfect and never cause blisters. The most important thing in a boot/shoe is that it's comfortable and works for YOU. The fanciest boot, or most popular boot or whatever...just doesn't matter.

Caveman1
02-14-2007, 12:40
I like the Columbia Skamania Pass. Wife got me a pair for Christmas. She took Backpacker Magazine's advice when shopping. Good support and traction. Waterproof and virtually zero break in time.

esmithz
02-15-2007, 22:31
Be mindful of where your boots are made. I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners made in Italy. Perfect fit. Never a blister. I bought a 2nd backup pair that just didn't fit right. Lots of blisters. Made in China. I took them back. I instead got a pair of Raichles made in Romania. Fit perfect. I started my thru with them. I never did get the shoe equation figured out. Foot pain had alot to do with me leaving trail. Should I have done fewer miles. Should I have kept wearing my heavier boots instead of switching to trail runners? Don't know. Good luck though.

hopefulhiker
02-16-2007, 17:36
Whatever you get wear them on a shake down hike to try to break them in.. I had the Sundowners for the first part of my hike.. They kept getting wet, even with the Goretex, and I started painting them every ten days with silicone to waterproof them;Lost the breathability but my feet stayed dry except for the sweat....