PDA

View Full Version : Tent weight

little bear
02-13-2007, 22:10
Hey when looking at tents there are a couple of weights on them ie: Pack weight, minimum weight and fast packing weight.

My question is what are you doing diffrent in the weights?

How do you pack it to get the lightest weight, what are you taking out?

Thanks

Little Bear

2009ThruHiker
02-13-2007, 22:14
Hey when looking at tents there are a couple of weights on them ie: Pack weight, minimum weight and fast packing weight.

My question is what are you doing diffrent in the weights?

How do you pack it to get the lightest weight, what are you taking out?

Thanks

Little Bear

This is from one tent manufacturer:
The minimum weight includes inner tent, outer tent and poles while packed weight refers to everything supplied, including tent, poles, stuff bags, pegs, spares, lines and instructions. The difference between minimum weight and packed weight determines how well a tent is equipped!

stuco
02-13-2007, 22:16
I think packed weight is with the shipping materials manual etc.

I don't know what the other two are and I don't understand why anyone would want to know the weight of the shipping materials. Silly marketing

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-13-2007, 22:21
Fastpacking is using only the footprint and the tent fly without the body of the tent.

little bear
02-28-2007, 17:58
I found my answer, here it is from Sierra Designs:

Tent Weights:

Trail Weight - Total weight of the tent body, fly and poles (does not include the stakes). This is the tents minimal weight.
Packed Weight - Total weight includes everything that comes with the tent when the tent is purchased (less any shipping container): tent body, fly, poles, tent stuff sack, pole sack, stakes sack, stakes, guy lines and tighteners, user manual, and tent pitching instructions.
Fast Pack Weight - Weight of the fly, poles, and Fast Pack Footprint (sold separately) (does not include the stakes).

joel137
02-28-2007, 23:56
I think packed weight is with the shipping materials manual etc.

I don't know what the other two are and I don't understand why anyone would want to know the weight of the shipping materials. Silly marketing

So the Post Office will know how much to charge for the shipping??

shoe
03-01-2007, 03:41
I think the companies intentionally mislead with their minimum weights....come on, really, should they be listing the weight without stakes

Spork
03-01-2007, 08:17
I think the companies intentionally mislead with their minimum weights....come on, really, should they be listing the weight without stakes

No doubt they assume you will be carrying a machete to hack and hew the flora and fauna into suitable stakes as you go along! :D