PDA

View Full Version : Trailjournals...Good Laugh!

Almost There
02-14-2007, 00:00
I love this time of year on TJ, most haven't started hiking yet, and if you want a good laugh check out the ladies' journals, you don't have to read, just check out the counter. 4 entries=2000 hits, 11 entries=10,000 hits. They haven't even started hiking yet!!! I'm weird this way and find it funny, anyone else? Guys looking for the hotty to chase after I guess and that's why it's so funny. None of the male hikers have hits coming anywhere close to this. I can smell the desperation in the air....so glad I have a wife who love me! Anyways, just curious if anyone else finds this funny as well.

hammock engineer
02-14-2007, 00:07
That is pretty funny. I'll admit, I did follow one women's TJ last year. From the ones both male and female I read, this was the one I thought was written the best, updated a lot, and an interesting read. She did finish with something over 200,000 hits, though.

Not in my case, but I think your right with most of them.

Women of WB unite. When I finally start my TJ, give me a lot of hits. I promise to reward you with interesting stories of my hike. Features include me talking about me. I'm starting and finishing mine at my front door. Seems like a logical place to me.

Almost There
02-14-2007, 00:11
You go HE, I think it's great if the journal is well written or even once the hike has begun, but do 10K people really find someone giving notice to their job, or food dehydration that interesting? I always check out WB members journals. Good Luck!

hammock engineer
02-14-2007, 00:27
You go HE, I think it's great if the journal is well written or even once the hike has begun, but do 10K people really find someone giving notice to their job, or food dehydration that interesting? I always check out WB members journals. Good Luck!

No but I think my mom will, 100,000 times:D .

Good thing it counts hits and not individual IP's. That would be the interesting stat.

hammock engineer
02-14-2007, 00:28
I forgot to mention that it counts each time you look at it as one hit, then each time you switch days as another hit.

Ronin
02-14-2007, 00:53
I love this time of year on TJ...check out the ladies' journals...4 entries=2000 hits, 11 entries=10,000 hits...I can smell the desperation in the air....

Yes, men are dogs! :cool: For the most part... :rolleyes:

Newb
02-14-2007, 10:15
When I do my thru I'm gonna take a female trail name. That way I'll get lots of hits. Should I do it in drag to take the gag to its hyperbolic extreme?

Almost There
02-14-2007, 10:45
Do it in drag and you'll have people following your journal for other reasons!

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 10:47
Yes, men are dogs! :cool: For the most part... :rolleyes:

simple biology is all

stuco
02-14-2007, 10:48
That's funny, I'll admit I clicked on a girls first. I'd just rather see some pics of a pretty hiker chick than somd dude.

Newb
02-14-2007, 10:57
After 2 weeks on the trail they all smell the same.

Gray Blazer
02-14-2007, 11:31
That's funny, I'll admit I clicked on a girls first. I'd just rather see some pics of a pretty hiker chick than somd dude.You hit the nail on the head.

EarlyBird2007
02-14-2007, 11:41
I love this time of year on TJ, most haven't started hiking yet, and if you want a good laugh check out the ladies' journals, you don't have to read, just check out the counter. 4 entries=2000 hits, 11 entries=10,000 hits. They haven't even started hiking yet!!! I'm weird this way and find it funny, anyone else? Guys looking for the hotty to chase after I guess and that's why it's so funny. None of the male hikers have hits coming anywhere close to this. I can smell the desperation in the air....so glad I have a wife who love me! Anyways, just curious if anyone else finds this funny as well.

On that same point, look at the listing of most viewed photos on this site (whiteblaze). About 80% of them are cute girls. We men do all think alike, don't we.;)

mindi
02-14-2007, 12:12
My journal has been up for less than a week, and I have three incredibly boring prep entries. I've already gotten 487 hits. Now I know why. And here I thought I was finally popular!

EarlyBird2007
02-14-2007, 12:27
My journal has been up for less than a week, and I have three incredibly boring prep entries. I've already gotten 487 hits. Now I know why. And here I thought I was finally popular!
Yep. If Paris Hilton ever decided to put up a site on trailjournals, she'd get roughly 87,000,000,000,000,000,000 hits.:D

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 12:29
Yep. If Paris Hilton ever decided to put up a site on trailjournals, she'd get roughly 87,000,000,000,000,000,000 hits.:D

why. she's a skinny skank.

EarlyBird2007
02-14-2007, 12:36
why. she's a skinny skank.no arguments here. but i guess some guys think she's hot.

Littlest Hobo
02-14-2007, 12:37

Prepare for your hit count to double as every male here at Whiteblaze goes searching for your journal :D

Lone Wolf
02-14-2007, 12:39
no arguments here. but i guess some guys think she's hot.

that broad needs to eat, put on some meat before i'd shag her. even then...

Toolshed
02-14-2007, 12:47
:D

Hmmmm... Are you hot????? :D

rafe
02-14-2007, 12:47
that broad needs to eat, put on some meat before i'd shag her. even then...

Speaking hypothetically, of course... ;)

Frosty
02-14-2007, 12:49
At this time of year, I read all the journals because there aren't many, but eventually I settle down to a three or four (okay, seven or eight) to read and those written by women tend to be more interesting, more about the people they met and their experiences and feelings than a laundry list of the day's activities that some journals provide.

It would be sexist to say that women write better journals; there have been some notable journals by men. Mango last year, Bono and the Flying Scotsman, Skeemer, others I can't think of just now. Still, some of the better journals do seem to be written by women. Liteshoe's Long Trail journal was probably the best. Whatever happened to MAFMan?

Footnotes
02-14-2007, 13:04
Here is a devious idea. Put up a phony journal with a picture of a very appealing female hiker. Add some wording that the oversexed younger males can find hope in. Be sure to post her starting date a week after yours. When you start your hike, there is a good chance it will be just you and us older, more mature, and considerate hikers ;o)

hammock engineer
02-14-2007, 13:12
Hmmm. Or you could say that all the women are starting 2 weeks before you. Then all of the guys looking for that sort of thing would start early, if this thread is true is most of them. Leving open trails wth the ocasional women hiker.

A win, win situation.

mudhead
02-14-2007, 13:50
Woof. I predict this thread will end badly.

Tha Wookie
02-14-2007, 14:42
I admit I only read a couple journals regularly year after year, and both are women. That would be teatree and buddha. Actually, I guess I've read a lot of Yogi's too.

Have you guys seen Buddha's gear lists? They are choice!

http://trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=2458

Maybe I do read these journals because they're women. So what.

It's called being a man. on the internet.

Ronin
02-14-2007, 14:46

simple biology is all

And there you go...

Sly
02-14-2007, 15:23

You need to put in a guest book, and maybe a photo! ;)

hammock engineer
02-14-2007, 15:53
I admit I only read a couple journals regularly year after year, and both are women. That would be teatree and buddha. Actually, I guess I've read a lot of Yogi's too.

Have you guys seen Buddha's gear lists? They are choice!

http://trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=2458

Maybe I do read these journals because they're women. So what.

It's called being a man. on the internet.

That list is probibly the best one I have seen.

Mags
02-14-2007, 22:39
Here is a devious idea. Put up a phony journal with a picture of a very appealing female hiker. Add some wording that the oversexed younger males can find hope in. Be sure to post her starting date a week after yours. When you start your hike, there is a good chance it will be just you and us older, more mature, and considerate hikers ;o)

Hmmmmm......

A new website?
Penthouse Trail Journals ?

Almost There
02-14-2007, 22:54
There was a Possum last year(a dude) that had a similiar type of gear list.

BTW wanna laugh some more, read through some of the guestbook signings. In 2005 there was a guy who had hiked the Long Trail, the AT, the PCT, and the JMT. He was going to be doing part of the AT again as prep for the CDT and signed a good looking Nube's journal telling her she had some great Ideas he had never thought of for gear...my buddy and I cracked up over this one...C'mon dude, with all the hiking you've already done we all know you've got your gear nailed down.

I don't care what people read, heck I admit I've read more women's journals then men's. I look for ones that are more insightful, and these have just happened to some gals, or I read ones I'm told are interesting. Either way, just something funny I have noticed.

On a serious note, as girls have talked about safety, etc. on the trail, if you are worried about it, I wouldn't post your start date on TJ. If you meet someone online and think they're safe you can still set a date to start together, but any lowlife can decide you're what they like from your pic and start when you do...something my wife pointed out.

Bravo
02-14-2007, 23:14
And there you go...

What's the problem with that??? It makes sense to me. It seems these days that a lot of men have lost there balls. I'm a man. I like women. Almost all of them. There's not much I wouldn't so with any of them either. That doesn't make me a dog as someone said. It makes me an alive male human being. I might BS with a guy from time to time but I like spending my time with women. Period. End of story. If I'm gonna take time to check out some picks it's going to be chick picks. If I want to look at a dude I'll look in the mirror.

bfitz
02-14-2007, 23:28
Thanks for the lead, Almost There...I'm off to TJ to check out this years crop.

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2007, 23:50

488 :D

mindi
02-15-2007, 00:26
I'm debating the guest book thing. I should have a pic up soon, I took down the first one because it was horrible.

max patch
02-15-2007, 08:16
That girl in the bikini gonna get hit on a lot. Oops, I mean gonna get a lot of hits.

Jan LiteShoe
02-15-2007, 09:19
It would be sexist to say that women write better journals; there have been some notable journals by men. Mango last year, Bono and the Flying Scotsman, Skeemer, others I can't think of just now. Still, some of the better journals do seem to be written by women. Liteshoe's Long Trail journal was probably the best. Whatever happened to MAFMan?

Thanks, Frosty! MAFMan/Clyde Dodge/Right Turn is alive and kicking and even posts on this forum from time to time. He was at the Ruck last year (most years, actually), same as you, and started a SOBO thruhike this past summer as Right Turn(from the line the Clint Eastwood movie with the orangutang "right turn, Clyde...":)). However, he broke his foot sliding down off Le Mountain Katahdin; he walked the next 10 miles on it before making camp. When he woke up the next morning and it was horribly swollen, he decided it might need some looking at. Bottom line: busted.
He missed this year's Ruck because he went with a group of local builders to Iraq, where they are building a school. He's back home now. Always an adventure with Clyde.
Skeemer is out of the Florida Trail right now, and is keeping a journal.

Heater
02-15-2007, 09:29

646 hits today! :D

VictoriaM
02-15-2007, 12:44
I'd believe that theory, except that my 10K+ kit journal mentions my husband early and often.

Swass
02-15-2007, 13:14
Hmmmmm......

A new website?
Penthouse Trail Journals ?

"Dear TrailJournals,

I've never written a letter like this before..."

Actually, as a woman I definitely want to read journals written by other women because I think they end up hiking a much different hike than their male buddies. It's a matter of who I relate to.

But yeah, chicks like me aren't the ones responsible for the 10,000 hits!

Frosty
02-15-2007, 13:15
On a serious note, as girls have talked about safety, etc. on the trail, if you are worried about it, I wouldn't post your start date on TJ. If you meet someone online and think they're safe you can still set a date to start together, but any lowlife can decide you're what they like from your pic and start when you do...something my wife pointed out.Also, if you are concnered, do not keep the journal entries too recent. Make 'em a week or more old.

My journal entries were always old because I only wanted my transcriber to post one per day. So they were always way behind. But the was one journal in 2003 that was done this way, and it was great reading it. Every day I got a day's trail experience. More enjoyable than reading in clumps of 7 or 8 entries. It was also easier to follow along continuity-wise.

Sly
02-15-2007, 13:24
I don't know, maybe I'm relaxed than some, but I don't see a problem with any women being dragged off Springer because they posted their start date.

Fannypack
02-15-2007, 13:38
Anyone concerned w/ there journal being used to locate them on the trail can always start a Yahoo group and post your trail journal entries to it and u can also control who reads these entirs by requiring the readers to have a Yahoo id & u approve (or someone at home) the reader request to read the journal entries (i.e, the yahoo group).

U could use this Yahoo group to allow family & friends only to read your journal & then u wouldn't have to worry about whether the journal reveals your current location or not.

Almost There
02-15-2007, 16:58
Sly, I'm not really worried about a woman being dragged off either, but with more and more posting journals...it takes just one.

Victoria, as a guy, I can tell you it doesn't matter if you mention your husband or not, if you have pics the guys are gonna check you out! My wife works in a male dominated field(computers) and everyone knows she is married, this doesn't stop them from hitting on her, married and unmarried guys alike. I freely admit guys can be real dogs, that can also be part of our charm though.

Sly
02-15-2007, 17:11
The thing is if someone decided to stalk a female hiker, they could do it anytime. If "Crabs" (fictional name) starts posting a week late from Hiawassee, you can usually figure out where they're going to be that day. Even if you lied about the dates, "Sumyungnut" could figure it out.

max patch
02-15-2007, 17:13
I don't know, maybe I'm relaxed than some, but I don't see a problem with any women being dragged off Springer because they posted their start date.

A few years back WF started "holding" updates for a week or so before updating the online trail journals hosted on his site after some guy figured out where a female journaler was going to be and drove to the trail to meet her.

Sly
02-15-2007, 17:23
A few years back WF started "holding" updates for a week or so before updating the online trail journals hosted on his site after some guy figured out where a female journaler was going to be and drove to the trail to meet her.

With ill intentions?

It doesn't matter. So you hold back a week, add the mileage and the average and go there.

Frosty
02-15-2007, 17:59
So you hold back a week, add the mileage and the average and go there.Good luck trying to meet up with me by figuring what trailhead I'll be at in a week! :D

mambo_tango
02-16-2007, 00:24
If "Crabs" (fictional name)

Hmm I have a feeling if her name is "Crabs" she might be avoided.:banana

Bravo
02-16-2007, 00:51
[quote=Sly;323166] If "Crabs" (fictional name)[quote]

Hmm I have a feeling if her name is "Crabs" she might be avoided.:banana

Yeah stay away from Crabs. And I plan on hooking up with all sorts of married chicas on the trail.

Heater
02-16-2007, 02:51
I'd believe that theory, except that my 10K+ kit journal mentions my husband early and often.

It's the pugs... :D

VictoriaM
02-16-2007, 13:08
It's the pugs... :D

Must be. Everyone loves my pugs. :cool:

maxNcathy
02-16-2007, 17:20
Must be. Everyone loves my pugs. :cool:

Did you MissSpell pugs??

LOL

Sandalwood

VictoriaM
02-16-2007, 17:40
Did you MissSpell pugs??

LOL

Sandalwood

I don't have anything else spelled remotely like "pugs", so no. I meant my pugs.

mindi
02-17-2007, 12:40
Adorable pugs!

I'm past 1300 now and I've already gotten some nice guestbook entries so thanks to those of you who are offering me encouragement. I know I keep saying it, but I'm starting to freak out.

hammock engineer
02-17-2007, 12:50
Well there is one way to settle this. I need to start a journal with a pic of a smoking hot chick. Write like I am one, probibly better to have a woman friend of mine do this part. Say that her start date and time is the same as mine. Then see how many guys start then and talk about her.

All in the name of science.

Mags
02-18-2007, 16:44
I know I keep saying it, but I'm starting to freak out.

Last year a friend of mine thru-hiked the AT. As with you, she's a young woman who hiked solo. She also had many fears about what she was getting into. So I told her this African proverb I enjoy:

Come to the edge," he said.
They said, "We are afraid."
"Come to the edge," he said.
They came, and he pushed them
And they flew.

Yeah...starting a new life and doing something out of your nomal comfort zone IS scary.

But sometimes you need to go to the edge..and sometimes, most of the time actually, you will fly.

If you want, my friend's journal is:
http://www.trailjournals.com/nira/

Here's her journal entry about many of the thoughts you are having:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=123902

And post hike? We grab beers and talk about post-trail adjustment. You can ask those questions ~7 mos or so from now. :)