PDA

View Full Version : Silnylon rain jackets?

vaporjourney
02-14-2007, 11:52
I've recently begun considering getting a silnylon rain jacket to replace my bulky/heavy Red Ledge jacket. Are these jackets durable at all? I've always read about how flimsy the Drop Stoppers/Frog Troggs are, and have avoided them for this reason. I'm pretty cold natured and tend to wear a jacket around camp in all seasons, and even some while hiking to keep warm. Not sure if one snag on a branch would be all it takes to rip silnylon. I use silnylon stuff sacks and haven't had any problems with jamming rough gear into them.

Also...does anyone know any alternatives to the Equinox Anorak? I like that this one has pit zips to ventilate, but wish there was a tad more open space to release hot air inside. I love that the Red Ledge has LONG pit zips, and then the openings in the front as well. The Anorak also seems to be sized really oddly, and has too much annoying velcro near the zipper.

TurkeyBacon
02-14-2007, 12:09
Shure they are durable... enough. I'm not shure about companies that make them, but making your own should not be very hard if you know how. If you are willing to try, adding pit zips is a fairly easy process as well. If you are cold natured, the silnylon will do very little to keep heat in. It will be more of a vapor barrier than a heat barrier.
TB

Footslogger
02-14-2007, 12:29
I've recently begun considering getting a silnylon rain jacket to replace my bulky/heavy Red Ledge jacket. Are these jackets durable at all? I've always read about how flimsy the Drop Stoppers/Frog Troggs are, and have avoided them for this reason. I'm pretty cold natured and tend to wear a jacket around camp in all seasons, and even some while hiking to keep warm. Not sure if one snag on a branch would be all it takes to rip silnylon. I use silnylon stuff sacks and haven't had any problems with jamming rough gear into them.

Also...does anyone know any alternatives to the Equinox Anorak? I like that this one has pit zips to ventilate, but wish there was a tad more open space to release hot air inside. I love that the Red Ledge has LONG pit zips, and then the openings in the front as well. The Anorak also seems to be sized really oddly, and has too much annoying velcro near the zipper.

==================================

No ...they're not terriby durable. But then again, nothing made out of silnylon is very durable. Im just a bit more careful than I would be with so-called "waterproof/breathable" laminate jacket.

Don't know of anything made out of silnylon that is more "vented" than the Equinox Anorak, other than the "Packa". I own both of them. Depends a lot on the nature of the hike as to which one I carry.

One thing I did was get my Equinox Anorak a bit large. Allows for better "aeration". If it's too tight it will definitely cling to skin and get pretty uncomforable. Truthfully ...I really like that Anorak and for 5 - 6 oz I carry it pretty much all the time any more. In warmer climates I hardly ever put on rain gear anyway but if it's really coming down I will slip into the Anorak and go. I've even been known to carry both the Anorak and the Packa. I've worn the Packa while hiking and then tossed the Anorak into the tent at night so that I have something easy to slip on if/when nature calls.

'Slogger

rswanson
02-15-2007, 15:56
I use Dropstoppers. Mine are coming up on the second year in use. I've hiked maybe a dozen days in them but I don't wear them around camp as I have other clothing for that. No tears yet. Not very durable; I wouldn't want to bushwhack in them. They're not silnyon, so duct tape will fix any rips or holes just fine. At $20 or so a set, I don't care if I trash them. They're also more breathable than any other rainwear I've used except a poncho. Not sure why any trail hiker would need anything else, unless you were out in rough backcountry for an extended period of time with no chance of resupply. Maybe its because they're so ugly.

Frogg Toggs are much more durable but heavier and not as breathable. With some care, you could easy pull off a thru hike without trashing them.

Marta
02-15-2007, 20:19
I used silnylon rain gear for my whole hike. Dancing Light Gear's. No rips or tears. Very light. Very simple. They have many more hikes left in them.

Marta/Five-Leaf

1azarus
02-15-2007, 20:24
awwwww, five-leaf, you had me excited about an alternative to my frogg toggs -- but it seems like dancing light gear is out of business!!!

vaporjourney
02-16-2007, 11:22
stevenleelaxarus, you could look into the Equinox Anorak which I mentioned here: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/EQ1205 . It's a silnylon jacket, and surely just as good as the Dancing Light Gear one.

Can anyone compare the Dropstoppers jackets and a silnylon jacket? I've read horror stories about the fit of both of these. Also...what about durability? Both seem pretty flimsy (are dropstoppers actually worse in this dept?), but at least drop stoppers could be duct taped together.

rswanson
02-16-2007, 18:07
Can anyone compare the Dropstoppers jackets and a silnylon jacket? I've read horror stories about the fit of both of these. Also...what about durability? Both seem pretty flimsy (are dropstoppers actually worse in this dept?), but at least drop stoppers could be duct taped together.
Dropstoppers are really meant to be disposable and as such they are less durable than average fabric weight silnylon. I'm sure I could actually force my fingertip through the material. Fit isn't too fashionable, if that's what your wondering, but they run true to size (I wear a large). I wouldn't do too many deep knee bends in the pants or you might blow out the seat. One thing that doesn't fit well is the hood. There's no brim, so I wear a Nike Drifit visor under the hood and that works very well. And, they are really ugly, but at least the color isn't screaming at you. For the weight, price, and breathability they cannot be beat. Duct tape does work well for repairs.

Tipper
02-16-2007, 23:03
I made a sylnylon cagoule for my thruhike last year. Based on a pattern from an old Patagonia anorak I took apart. It was worn alot and really stood up to the elements. Just be careful where you sit and try not to bushwack. Otherwise, enjoy the liteweight!
Tipper

doodah man
02-17-2007, 21:06
All, Stephensen's Warmlite ( http://www.warmlite.com ) will custom make a silnylon rain jacket to your specifications. Cost is $44 w/o hood and $54 with a hood. Have not seen one yet, but I am in the process of getting one myself. I do have one of their tents and the quality/functionality are both absolutely top notch. doodah-man

Marta
03-22-2007, 06:23
Aha! Brawny's designs are now available from AntiGravity Gear:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/index.php?cPath=23_48&osCsid=c84e55c18fe4adf32a116c8d534dadc0

Marta/Five-Leaf