PDA

View Full Version : Hydration system question

Chaco Taco
02-14-2007, 18:20
Do you guys use the sleeve inside your pack to put a platypus or other bladder. I have always used a water bottle and am thinking of putting water in my bag. Does it really add that much extra weight to the pack? What are the pros and cons?

Footslogger
02-14-2007, 18:25
I personally do NOT. Have to move too much stuff around to get at it. I roll up my 1.8Liter Platy in the storm collar and lay it across the top of my pack. Drape tube over my shoulder and off I go. Reservoir is nice and high for good flow to mouthpiece.

'Slogger

Chaco Taco
02-14-2007, 18:29
I personally do NOT. Have to move too much stuff around to get at it. I roll up my 1.8Liter Platy in the storm collar and lay it across the top of my pack. Drape tube over my shoulder and off I go. Reservoir is nice and high for good flow to mouthpiece.

'Slogger
I like that idea. Im thinking of just hanging it from my pack.

Spork
02-14-2007, 19:07
I carry a 3 liter water bladder in the hydration sleeve of my pack. the whole rig with hose weighs around 6 oz empty which is roughly what one empty 1 liter Nalgne bottle weighs. Contrary to adding weight to the pack I find a water badder to be about the lightest type of water container to carry, plus it allows you to sip as you walk and stay hydrated without having to perform gymnastics or take off your pack to get water. A 3 liter bladder allows me to carry as much or as little water as I need between refill points. On the AT there aren't many places where 3 liters of water isn't enough and I don't have to carry any extra water bottles. It weighs about 7 lbs full @ 2.2 lbs per liter. Depending on how full you stuff your pack it may take some effort to get the bladder in and out, but I've never found it to be a problem. Footslogger's idea is certainly workable too...

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-14-2007, 23:30
I carry a 3 liter Platy on the front mesh pocket of my ULA P2. I have a inline water filter connected to it to purify my water as I hike. I use Aqua Mira to purify my camp water. I usually start out with a liter to a liter and a half.

I dont like to put the platy inside my pack because mainly I cant see it and I dont like moving stuff around to get to it. Truthfully you should carry your water weight as close to your back as possible but so far carrying it on the outside front mesh pocket has worked out fine.

Years ago, I tried to carry 2 water bottles but found it too hard to get to them easily. If I didnt use the front mesh pocket, I would put my Platy at the very top of the inside of my pack. That should work fine also if you dont care about being able to see it. On mine, I have a Large Black Line drawn across the platy at the 1 and a half liter mark. Another line at 1 liter. Hikers around me tell me how much I have left as I rarely take my pack off. Its easy to see for others. Remember this if I hike with you :) After a while, I can guess pretty close to how much water I have left.

Just dont carry a Big Nalagen bottle for your hiking water. They weigh way too much. Use a 32 Oz Gaterade Bottle instead.

Have fun and cya later

Miner
02-15-2007, 21:42
I carry my bladder in my internal pack sleeve. It fits well in there and I have had no trouble with it. I added a quick disconnect adaptor to the drinking tube near the mouth piece so I can detach the mouthpiece and connect my water filter and pump away without ever having to access the bladder in my pack.