35 days free.

I'm interested in hiking part of the AT during the month of
October, and would love to get some advice as to where
are the better places to do so, taking weather into account,
but remembering that as I only have one month, I'd prefer
to be able to do the nicer parts of the trail (although I'm sure
each has his/her favorites).

I would like to avoid "hopping" around different shorter walks
using motorized transportation and stick to a 1-month walk.
I have some experience in hiking, but would like to avoid
getting rained/snowed on for the whole month.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

MOWGLI
07-27-2003, 11:11
Well, you can never guarantee that you won't get rained on, but October is probably my favorite month to hike. There are tons of places. Here's 2 to consider.

You could start at Hot Springs, NC and hike south to Springer. That's about 270 miles, so you can average less than 10 miles a day. Of course, you could always take all kinds of side trails in Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park. The AT is great, but it ain't the be-all end-all. I would suggest hiking down into some of the cover forests in the park. The foliage should be choice!

Another plan would be to start in Erwin, TN and hike north into SW Virginia. Maybe you could hike all the way to Pearisburg. That gets you through both the Roan Highlands AND Grayson Highland in the Mount Rodgers National Recreation Area.

Either of those hikes would be outstanding. It could be cold at night on either of those hikes, but not nearly as cold as New England would be.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Little Bear
GA-ME 2000

Taway
07-27-2003, 12:41
Originally posted by TNJED
Well, you can never guarantee that you won't get rained on, but October is probably my favorite month to hike. There are tons of places. Here's 2 to consider.

You could start at Hot Springs, NC and hike south to Springer. That's about 270 miles, so you can average less than 10 miles a day. Of course, you could always take all kinds of side trails in Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park. The AT is great, but it ain't the be-all end-all. I would suggest hiking down into some of the cover forests in the park. The foliage should be choice!

Another plan would be to start in Erwin, TN and hike north into SW Virginia. Maybe you could hike all the way to Pearisburg. That gets you through both the Roan Highlands AND Grayson Highland in the Mount Rodgers National Recreation Area.

Either of those hikes would be outstanding. It could be cold at night on either of those hikes, but not nearly as cold as New England would be.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Little Bear
GA-ME 2000

Thanks, that's of great help, the books that I picked up made
me think that October is borderline when it comes to the weather.

Any tips on those specific parts of the trail, and some of the
side-trips available?

Especially, uh, bears... are they a large problem in the
areas that you recommended? Coming from a bear-less country,
and having unfurtunately glanced at Bryson's book, I'm
a bit bothered by that aspect (of being eaten alive by a 800
pound bear... well, ok, being eaten alive by a 600 pound one
doesn't sound all that hot either :rolleyes: ).

Once again, appreciate any replies.

B Thrash
07-27-2003, 20:18
Taway, did you take everything that Bryson wrote in his book to be fact or fiction?. (My personal openion-some fact alot of fiction)

walkerat99
07-27-2003, 21:35
I would second TNJED's choices of hikes. I think they are the two best location of the AT in the South, which due to the time of the year, I would recommend. I have hiked those sections 3 times since I did my thru hike in 99 and never get tired of seeing the area, it is so beautiful with a lot of various types of terrain and scenic views.. I have only did the sections mentioned in the spring and summer, but I think they would be even more beautiful in the fall of the year as you plan to do.

I hope this helps.... and have a great hike....

Sincerely,
Ed

Groucho
07-27-2003, 22:33
October is my favorite too. I like the cooler weather, fewer bugs, and, of course, the leaf color. It probably is a borderline month in NH and ME. Less so the further south you go. Vermont and Mass heading S would be a good trip, but with the freaky weather the last couple of years, I wouldn't place any bets on avoiding early snow or colder than usual weather. Oct. is one of the driest months of the year.

Another good 260+ mile trip would be to start at VA 603 (near Damascus, VA) and hike S to Davenport Gap at the start of the Smokies. See Mt. Rogers area, Roan Highlands, Max Patch, just to name a few places. Going S you might travel with some southbounders. Include some Smokies hiking if you travel fast enough.

I've come across a few bears and have escaped unscathed, except for being cheated out of dinner one night. Lot of people hike without being eaten.

MOWGLI
07-28-2003, 04:41
Originally posted by Taway
bears... are they a large problem in the
areas that you recommended?

A problem? Well the Smokeys has a very large bear population, but if you use the pulley system to hang your food, they shouldnt be a problem. Black Bears don't view humans as food. Just as suppliers of food.

I wouldn't obsess about bears. They are out there, and you might run into one. In most places along the trail, they will run like hell when you encounter them. Places where they don't run is where they are not hunted (National Parks - Shenandoah & Great Smoky Mountain).

Have fun.

Kerosene
07-28-2003, 14:14
I tend to gravitate to October hiking also and would concur with the above posts to do something south of Harpers Ferry, perhaps heading south from there through Shenendoah National Park into central Virginia. You will encounter a mix of hot days as well as a few close-to-freezing nights, but the weather should be more accommodating to hiking than New England.

Don't forget that days get a lot shorter as you approach November, to the point that it will be difficult to get in much more than 15 miles in a day with sufficient time in camp while it is light.

FlaHiker
08-05-2003, 10:33
Well, about hiking in October, what about hunters / hunting season / being shot at ???
up north, ME, NH, VT--do they hunt in the White Mtns? Wearing orange help or not?
Orange tent? orange pack? orange clothes? which?

---Brad

Pedestrian
08-05-2003, 11:24
I believe this thread has just taken a very sharp turn, down hill.

Hunting is allowed along the AT in National Forests and Wildlife Management Areas. Basically anytime a season is open it’s open along the AT. Last year I believe there were 2 people shot along the AT. One in Georgia and one in Virginia I believe. It’s very rare that anything like this ever happens. If you wish to take precautions I would recommend not hiking at sunrise and at dusk. If you wish to take further precautions wear blaze orange when going off trail to the bathroom or around camp.

My son’s Boy Scout troop was planning a camping trip the week after the girl was shot. Some of the moms would not let their sons go; other moms insisted on us wearing blaze orange.

It’s another one of those non-issues like bear attacks.

Let the flames begin.

meBrad
08-05-2003, 11:40
I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted

Pedestrian
08-05-2003, 12:29
Brad!

Are you a nudist? Talk about your dancing banana...:banana :banana :banana

DebW
08-05-2003, 12:31
Yes, there is hunting in the White Mountains and throughout New England. November is the month for deer by firearms, which is most dangerous to hikers. In October there is problably open season on bear, game birds, and moose., and bowhunting of deer. NH has a weekend of deer-by-fiirearms for youth in late October.

meBrad
08-05-2003, 12:54
I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted