View Full Version : Looking For New Pack

FFTorched
02-14-2007, 22:21
I'm looking for a new pack, My specs I'm searching for are as follows:
Lightweight <5lbs or less.
At least 3,000 Cubic Inches of space
Hydration blatter compatible
Moderately priced around $150

Please list any suggests and retailers to purchase said pack.
--FFTorched

stuco
02-14-2007, 23:08
Ula -conduit or circuit

gossamer gear -maripose, g4, mariposa plus

six moon designs-starlite, comet

golite- jam2 pack

any of these will work

milesbarger
02-14-2007, 23:33
Mountain Laurel Designs Zip.
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=49&osCsid=c212269558b0c2be3ae5064537b9b771

3000ci. $145 with the mesh-lined hipbelt wings. Just a bit over 11oz.

rafe
02-14-2007, 23:43
Several Granite Gear models in that price range. Vapor Trail (2 lbs) and some of the larger models (3 lbs) at discount, eg. here (http://www.modernmountainman.com/).

scope
02-14-2007, 23:43
Chiming in for the Granite Gear crowd. Meridian Vapor or Vapor Trail.

PJ 2005
02-15-2007, 00:39
third vote for granite gear... imo you can't beat the vapor trail for a balance of comfort, price, and capacity.

hammock engineer
02-15-2007, 01:26
Check out the gearskin. Mine comes next week. Just a warning, there is about a month or 2 turnaround.

Franco
02-15-2007, 01:32
Have a good look at the Ula Circuit, 3750 cc, 32 oz (really) and it will carry in comfort 30 lb. I have used it for overnighters and up to five days.
Franco

Bohican
02-15-2007, 03:45
Fourth vote for the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I bought mine slightly used for about $100 (previous owner needed a medium instead of the large that I bought).

rswanson
02-15-2007, 16:50
Lots of love to Granite Gear but I want to put in another good word for ULA Equipment. I just bought a ULA Conduit for about $130 and ULA Equipment's quality and function is impeccable. The Conduit's just over 3000 c.i., not all that is internal capacity (factors in external pockets) so it might be too small for what you're carrying. As others have suggested, the ULA Circuit is larger but just over your budget at $175. If it matters, ULA packs are made in the states, with local labor.

You might also want to check out the REI Cruise (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48111571&parent_category_rn=9986490). $130, almost 4,000 c.i., 3 lbs 3 oz. They should have it at the REI down the turnpike in Conshohocken. I've checked out the predecessor, the UL 60 and found it was decent. You can get that pack from REI's outlet site (http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/48104223.htm) for $80 if you're a medium torso.

Chache
02-15-2007, 17:21
Bought Vapor Trail a year ago. its the greatest

hammock engineer
02-15-2007, 17:49
I have the VT. I was going to use it, but the bulk of my ger is too much for it. It does not ride well with the extension collar full.

If you can fit your into the main compartment and keep the weight down, it is a great pack.

DrewNC2005
02-15-2007, 18:24
I bought the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and it was nice and comfortable. However, the side pockets were hardly functional compared to the pack I replaced it with - the ULA Circuit.

The Circuit is extremely comfortable, more so than the VT, and the side pockets are actually usable. The Circuit is so comfortable that I literally forget I have it on. A plus - ULA/Brian Frankle (owner) has excellent customer service. I had some issues with the straps, Brian sent me a new one with the updated straps. The guy stands behind his products.

scope
02-16-2007, 10:16
I bought the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and it was nice and comfortable. However, the side pockets were hardly functional compared to the pack I replaced it with - the ULA Circuit.

The Circuit is extremely comfortable, more so than the VT, and the side pockets are actually usable. The Circuit is so comfortable that I literally forget I have it on. A plus - ULA/Brian Frankle (owner) has excellent customer service. I had some issues with the straps, Brian sent me a new one with the updated straps. The guy stands behind his products.

I posted earlier in favor of GG and I would just like to say the only other pack I'd consider is ULA. Please take a look at these as they are great packs, too, but a little different philosophy than GG.

The previous poster mentioned the 'hardly functional' side pockets for GG. There is a basic divide between those who love to have side pockets for their bottles, and the GG philosophy that water belongs in hydration pocket, on the back. I actually love my bottles in the pocket and my GG pockets work just fine for that. I think some get a little psyched out with the compression strap running over the pocket - big whup. The GG pockets are actuallly meant for light gear and are so big and stretchy, they can be used in a multitude of ways not possible with 'water bottle' side pockets. With a full pack, the need for the side compression strap on the bottom of the pack is arguable, and its easily removed (can be stuffed in the pocket). Otherwise, its useful for making sure gear stored in the pockets is secured.

So, just don't let the side pockets deter you in considering GG. Obviously, they work for lots of thru hikers since packs like the Vapor Trail are extremely popular on the AT. Both ULA and GG are tried and true packs, just be sure to try one on with weight first, which of course goes for any pack you'll consider.

Kerosene
02-16-2007, 12:35
I'd point you to one of the GG packs (Nimbus Ozone, Vapor Trail, or one of the Access variants) or ULA. I'm interested in experimenting with the Gearskin, but that sounds like a big leap from where you are currently.

DrewNC2005
02-16-2007, 13:36
The previous poster mentioned the 'hardly functional' side pockets for GG. There is a basic divide between those who love to have side pockets for their bottles, and the GG philosophy that water belongs in hydration pocket, on the back. I actually love my bottles in the pocket and my GG pockets work just fine for that. I think some get a little psyched out with the compression strap running over the pocket - big whup. The GG pockets are actuallly meant for light gear and are so big and stretchy, they can be used in a multitude of ways not possible with 'water bottle' side pockets. With a full pack, the need for the side compression strap on the bottom of the pack is arguable, and its easily removed (can be stuffed in the pocket). Otherwise, its useful for making sure gear stored in the pockets is secured.

I will clarify what I meant by the pockets not being functional as it may have been misunderstood. I speak to the GG VT's pocket functionality in direct comparison to the ULA pockets.

With respect to the side pockets on the ULA, the VT's pockets are easily considered "disfunctional" for the following reasons:

First, as mentioned above, the availability of the VT pockets is diminished because the compression straps, if tightened, constrict whatever you have in the pockets. For instance, if trying to pull a water bottle out on the fly, it was virtually impossible if the compression strap was tightened. The strap not only kept the bottle from being easily removed, but also from being easily replaced. If you don't keep your bottles there, this may not be an issue.

Second, if you do use a water bottle or something you may use often in those pockets, it was very difficult to remove something and replace on the fly. This was not necessarily due to the compression straps; it is more a result of the shape of the opening of the pocket. The pocket is pretty much a rectangular shaped stretchy material and this shape is not conducive to reaching behind and pulling something out/putting something back. This is not HUGE, but it may be if that is where you put your camera or something you need quick, etc. If you look at the shape of the side pockets of the ULA Circuit, that problem is alleviated by the shape of the opening and the bellowed nature. I can easily reach back, pull something out, and put it back without having to fool with the pocket (or a compression strap running over it) very long, or even worse, take the pack off.

Third, the GG VT lacks hipbelt pockets altogether. After having them on the ULA, I will have a hard time buying a pack without them again.

Fourth, the GG VT doesn't have a huge front mesh pocket where you can stash wet gear to dry out. You would have to find a way to strap it to the outside of the pack somewhere and it would be subject to flapping around in wind and snagging on tree limbs, etc. if you went that route. Again, not a huge deal, but it was something I considered. That said, I love the huge front mesh pocket for the sole reason of being able to store wet junk there.

NOTE:
These are considerations that were appropriate for ME and MY way of backpacking. It's not that the VT was a bad design or a bad pack - I just found the ULA to be superior for ME and MY way of backpacking.

HangnOut
02-16-2007, 14:17
NOTE:
These are considerations that were appropriate for ME and MY way of backpacking. It's not that the VT was a bad design or a bad pack - I just found the ULA to be superior for ME and MY way of backpacking.

I agree with this having owned a vapor trail and ULA conduit

spittinpigeon
02-16-2007, 14:48
I have a ULA Circuit. Hydration bladder compatible? Well it has holes to run your tube through but no pocket for the bladder, which doesn't matter to me. Even when I have a pocket I still put the bladder on top. I don't use the tube holes either.
As far as the side pockets being easily accessible, ya, you can reach them, but pulling stuff out is a pain. Maybe it's just me stuffing my pack so much, it bulges out into what would be the pocket area. The mesh front pocket is large and I love it. But the top of it sucks. I wish it were a drawstring or bungee, instead it has only one setting, TOO TIGHT.
The hipbelt pockets rock, I keep my camera in there, too bad they aren't waterproof. Using this pack, you have to be wary of what you store in the back of the pack, if it's something hard and sharp, it will dig into your back.
I hate to come down on this pack so much because I really do like it. It's even lighter than my GoLite. Comfortable at 30lbs like someone said, but I wouldn't go over that, it's 'frame' is really just there to keep the bag upright while you pack it.

DrewNC2005
02-16-2007, 15:14
I have a ULA Circuit. Hydration bladder compatible? Well it has holes to run your tube through but no pocket for the bladder, which doesn't matter to me. Even when I have a pocket I still put the bladder on top. I don't use the tube holes either.

The hydration bladder is an option available if you want one.

As far as the side pockets being easily accessible, ya, you can reach them, but pulling stuff out is a pain. Maybe it's just me stuffing my pack so much, it bulges out into what would be the pocket area. The mesh front pocket is large and I love it. But the top of it sucks. I wish it were a drawstring or bungee, instead it has only one setting, TOO TIGHT.

This is generally true for me as well. I should have mentioned that when the pack body is full, it CAN be difficult to put larger items in the mesh pocket. Smaller items are not a problem. I think Brian mentioned he didn't use a bungee or elastic for durability purposes.

Using this pack, you have to be wary of what you store in the back of the pack, if it's something hard and sharp, it will dig into your back.

The same is true for any frameless pack. If you use a pad as a "virtual frame" this is not an issue.

... it's 'frame' is really just there to keep the bag upright while you pack it.

I am not sure about the accuracy of that statement. I asked Brian extensively about the "frame" of this pack before buying. This is actually a delrin hoop if I remember correctly and is not at all designed to keep the bag upright while you pack it. It may serve that purpose, but it is there mainly to transfer the load to your hips - which it does very well. I've carried several other framed and frameless packs, VT included, and the ULA transfers the weight to the hips better than any pack I've had.

NOTE AGAIN:
Some packs and pack features work well for some and don't for others. I'll second the earlier admonishment to take your gear to a store, throw it in a pack and walk around. That's the best way to see if something works or doesn't work for YOU.

scope
02-16-2007, 15:21
DNC05 - you've not been misunderstood; you like the ULA and who can blame you, they're great packs. Because you like the ULA side pockets doesn't make the GG side pockets non-functional. I offer that in many ways they are more functional than the ULA's, but only if you are willing to forego retrieving stuff from them on the fly. That's a personal choice, and one that I want to illustrate to FFT in considering a pack.

DrewNC2005
02-16-2007, 16:00
DNC05 - you've not been misunderstood; you like the ULA and who can blame you, they're great packs. Because you like the ULA side pockets doesn't make the GG side pockets non-functional.

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to get across when I said: "I speak to the GG VT's pocket functionality in direct comparison to the ULA pockets" and "these are considerations that were appropriate for ME and MY way of backpacking. It's not that the VT was a bad design or a bad pack - I just found the ULA to be superior for ME and MY way of backpacking."

By no means was I inferring that because I like the ULA side pockets the GG pockets are thereby non-functional. There would be no rational basis in doing so.

I offer that in many ways they are more functional than the ULA's, but only if you are willing to forego retrieving stuff from them on the fly. That's a personal choice, and one that I want to illustrate to FFT in considering a pack.

I concur. In many, almost all, respects, pack selection is a subjective task which requires a balancing of personal backpacking style with pack features and fit.

rswanson
02-16-2007, 17:47
DNC05 - you've not been misunderstood; you like the ULA and who can blame you, they're great packs. Because you like the ULA side pockets doesn't make the GG side pockets non-functional. I offer that in many ways they are more functional than the ULA's, but only if you are willing to forego retrieving stuff from them on the fly. That's a personal choice, and one that I want to illustrate to FFT in considering a pack.
What's with Granite Gear anyway? Why can't the get that compression strap behind the pocket? Hikers have been howling about this for years!

scope
02-16-2007, 21:43
What's with Granite Gear anyway? Why can't the get that compression strap behind the pocket? Hikers have been howling about this for years!

You know, I thought about cutting a slit in the pocket material to accommodate that, but the truth is its never bothered me. It helps sometimes to be able to secure gear that I store in the side pockets, and if I don't need it, I just undo it. I don't find that I need the compression since my pack is typically full. If understuffed, then that's where I would want the compression and then it might be an issue.

Rawhide
02-18-2007, 21:12
Their is quite a bit of talk here for the Granite Gear and ULA packs. Both very good backpacks. When I was looking to replace my Osprey pack I was looking for something that weighed less, and had a smaller space. I didnt need the 4000+cu.in. anymore. I tried on sever packs with my equipment. Gregory G pack, REI UL60, Granite Gear Vapor Trail, ULA, and a North Face Pack. I was sized for each of the packs I tried on.

The G-pack hit my lower back wrong, The REI pack was great, but in its first year out, the UL just wasnt built strong enough (I had to return 2 packs for tearing seams). Granite Gear packs, as much as I wish they did... do not fit me well. I have actually tried several times, and they just are not comfortable around my shoulders. ULA, nice packs, I havent had the chance to do more then try it on for about 30 minutes though.

In the end I went with The North Face Skareb 55. I was actually suprised myself that I picked this pack. I mean, I never expected it. But, their it was. I tried it on, very comfortable. And able to carry weight when I needed it too. It has both a removable framesheet, and x-stays. So, if your traveling lighter, you dont need to have both. If you have a bit more weight in your pack, then put it to its full use. Designed to hold a waterblader hanging inside the pack (if your bladder itself is designed to hang). 2 side ziped pockets are great, and with a bit of practices, can be opened and closed with the pack on. The back mesh/fabric pocket is great for stashing your rain gear and other wet itmes. It comes with a roll top closure (which I love), and it actually includes its own rain cover. One thing I did change was the chord on the back. I replaced it with some shock chord.

Coming in at under 3 lbs (and yes I did weigh mine) it works well for what I want out of a pack. What do I use it for? Well I bought it for a 1 month trip on the AT last year, (I needed to head back out after my 05 thru-hike) I use it for anything from overnights to long distance.

mweinstone
02-18-2007, 22:49
black diamond shadow 55 litre. simply put, the choice of matthewskis everywhere.

DawnTreader
02-19-2007, 10:53
ULA.... I love mine. I try to resupply as little as possible, so carry the Catalyst. I Can't speak for the functionality of the GG, however, I really believe in Brian Frankle's BP philosophy, and his companies ethics are outstanding. Made in the USA.. worth every penny...

rswanson
02-19-2007, 12:18
In the end I went with The North Face Skareb 55. I was actually suprised myself that I picked this pack. I mean, I never expected it. But, their it was. I tried it on, very comfortable. And able to carry weight when I needed it too. It has both a removable framesheet, and x-stays. So, if your traveling lighter, you dont need to have both. If you have a bit more weight in your pack, then put it to its full use. Designed to hold a waterblader hanging inside the pack (if your bladder itself is designed to hang). 2 side ziped pockets are great, and with a bit of practices, can be opened and closed with the pack on. The back mesh/fabric pocket is great for stashing your rain gear and other wet itmes. It comes with a roll top closure (which I love), and it actually includes its own rain cover. One thing I did change was the chord on the back. I replaced it with some shock chord.
I bought the Skareb 55 as well and have written about my experiences with it (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15158&highlight=skareb) on Whiteblaze. The pack was decent but in the end I had some reservations. I firmly believe someone at The North Face's development team owned an ULA pack and essentially copied Brian Frankle's design. There are many similarities: the roll-top closure, the large mesh back pocket, strap attachment, and the overall design of the packbag itself. The Skareb is a great pack but now that I've had some experience with ULA's packs I'd choose the Circuit or Catalyst over the Skareb. ULA's design is better executed, loads carry better, the mesh pockets are more functional than the Skareb's pockets, and the hipbelt pockets are a great addition.

So, I've got a black/red Skareb 55 medium torso in great condition I can part with cheap; if you're interested shoot me an offer via PM.

speyguy
02-23-2007, 02:08
I've been reading all the threads with lots of interest. Last year I was interested in both the GG VP and the ULA packs. I couldn't believe my luck when both packs were posted in the "For Sale" forum at the same time by the same seller. I really wanted the ULA a bit more but ended up getting such a great deal on both packs that I couldn't pass them up. I ended up with both the GG VT and the ULA P2.

I have both packs to choose from but prefer to use the ULA. Here are a few of my observations:

When I packed both packs with the identical load packed the same way I thought the GG actually felt and carried a little better. Even though the GG is rated to 3600 cubes, keep in mind that that rating is with the extension collar extended to a certain degree. In all of the marketing photos of the pack with the collar down it is somewhere in the area of a 2500 to 2800 cube pack if I remember correctly? I think this forces you to pack very tight and efficiently if you want to get everything within the main support panels and you end up with a very tight and secure feeling load. However, once I got my load in the pack it was so tight that I felt it rendered the outside pockets fairly useless. Packing it took longer and required more ingenuity.

The ULA pack feels great. Although as I said I would have to give a slight edge to the GG, it's still a very good feel. Keep in mind that it's the older P2 model and only has a 1/4 frame sheet at the top. I would think that the newer versions with the full frame sheet would feel better. I fold a 3/4 length CC pad and use it inside the pack as the frame sheet and it seems to work fine. The outside pockets on the ULA really add an incredible amount of function and utility in my opinion. I think that most people would agree that GG could really improve the VT with something similar. They have probably considered it but feel it's more important to keep the weight from exeeding the 2lb barrier for marketing reasons than to actually improve the utility of the pack. Because the ULA has a larger main compartment even with a similar cube rating it is not as much of a pain in the $#@@ to load.

Nearly Normal
02-23-2007, 07:05
I'd love to try a GG but most of their packs are not offered in Large (or long). Just got the new catolog.
I thought I'd try a N/O but it's only offered in S and M. What's up with that?
I think they cut themselves out of that market.
Pete

Jaybird
02-23-2007, 08:07
I'm looking for a new pack, My specs I'm searching for are as follows:
Lightweight <5lbs or less.
At least 3,000 Cubic Inches of space
Hydration blatter compatible
Moderately priced around $150
Please list any suggests and retailers to purchase said pack.
--FFTorched

WOW! 5lbs?????

i just replaced my 4lb 7oz REI 4950ci pack w/ a Granite Gear Latitude Vapor 2lbs 10oz & 3800 ci.

i purchased it via Ebay for $150. but you can find it in your local outfitter store for same price!

Quoddy
02-27-2007, 09:24
I'd love to try a GG but most of their packs are not offered in Large (or long). Just got the new catolog.
I thought I'd try a N/O but it's only offered in S and M. What's up with that?I think they cut themselves out of that market.
Pete

I normally would take a long or large, but in the Ozone it's easy to adjust the frame in a medium to fit up to 22". Being able to get an exact length setting is sweet. Also, being able to get the size belt and shoulder straps to fit is a real bonus, in my case a large/large.