PDA

View Full Version : Stove?

ATnoob
02-15-2007, 00:39
What type of stove is best to bring on extended trips? ... please list specific examples.... websites with info would be helpful:-?

Mags
02-15-2007, 01:01
What type of stove is best to bring on extended trips? ... please list specific examples.... websites with info would be helpful:-?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20055&highlight=stoves+article

Try the above article. Breaks down the pros and cons of various stoves. Basically, figure what your preferences (Quickness? Ease of use? Weight? etc.) and take it from there.

Good luck!

Toolshed
02-15-2007, 07:50
ATNoob,
Not that I don't want to talk about stoves, but there are a number of threads try a WB search for "Pepsi Can" "Pocket Rocket" "MSR" "Jet Boil" "Trangia" "alcohol stove" and you will pullup numerous threads all leading to other threads as well.

saimyoji
02-15-2007, 09:35
ATNoob,
Not that I don't want to talk about stoves, but there are a number of threads try a WB search for "Pepsi Can" "Pocket Rocket" "MSR" "Jet Boil" "Trangia" "alcohol stove" and you will pullup numerous threads all leading to other threads as well.

Do not, repeat, DO NOT talk about JetBoil. It brings out the worst in some people. :eek: :D

GlazeDog
02-15-2007, 09:39
That word "BEST" always gets people. haha. Anyways, here's a link to a great site the ultra-lighters (including me) are in love with: Zen Stoves:

http://zenstoves.net/

Start clinking and you'll learn a lot.

Good Luck--
GlazeDog

TurkeyBacon
02-15-2007, 10:50
As noted already, alchohal stove are quite popular. While easy to make, the gold standard of Trangia is easily available as are smaller companies that sell on the net. However, any stove works just fine. You gotta do the research yourself. For more specific answers, try asking about specific stoves or specific questions. Asking for the "best" will generally result in "there is no best" type answers.
Good luck,
TB

ATnoob
02-15-2007, 16:17
Thanks Alot Everyone... I think i'm going to go with the Jetboil after some research.....

mountain squid
02-15-2007, 16:32
Check this link out:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=3_39_40&products_id=55

You can get a complete kitchen here and various other things.

The last several years Tin Man has had a booth at Trail Days in Damascus, VA. I don't know if he is coming this year, but something to consider, since you are in VA.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

LIhikers
02-15-2007, 18:42
My wife and I use an MSR Simmerlite all year round.
You can find the info about it at http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/simmerlite.asp

zelph
02-15-2007, 18:56
Thanks Alot Everyone... I think i'm going to go with the Jetboil after some research.....

Good choice. Give us some feedback after you have used it for awhile. Have fun!!!!:banana

saimyoji
02-15-2007, 18:59

Well, whatever boils your water. Just don't let neo:cool: get into your head. Next thing you'll be all decked out in camo and swingin from the trees....in a hammock that is....camo of course so no one'll ever see you. :p

zelph
02-15-2007, 19:45

"Don't Worry" "Be Happy" :banana :banana :banana Who remembers that song?

No Belay
02-23-2007, 13:02
Zelph, Don't you think 3 bananas are a little bit overkill? I think 2 with a :D would have been sufficient.

Savor Happy!!

zelph
02-23-2007, 15:18
I agree!!!

Savor Happy!!:banana :banana :D

4eyedbuzzard
02-23-2007, 16:51

For an extended trip, I would want something I can actually COOK on - not just boil water. Just MHO.

Nearly Normal
02-24-2007, 05:19
I like my Trangia Westwind but if I was in the market for a stove I would look at them all. This is a very interesting site.
http://www.minibulldesign.com/index.htm

Pete

rafe
02-24-2007, 09:04
For an extended trip, I would want something I can actually COOK on - not just boil water. Just MHO.

Then you need white gas or a Zip stove, I guess. ;) Or plan on carrying a lot of alcohol and/or a spare canister or two.

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2007, 10:18
Then you need white gas or a Zip stove, I guess. ;) Or plan on carrying a lot of alcohol and/or a spare canister or two.

Well, ya know, I've had a Zip since '91. And I love it on outback hike/camp trips. But given the nature of a thru-hike I don't think the Zip is the best for that purpose due to time and ease of use constraints - at least in the earlier part of the hike (I think we've discussed this all before BTW) On the other hand a Jetboil is very limited. Lets say a week out you get a hankerin' for eggs and bacon or pancakes or ya smuggle a rib-eye out of town for the first night back on the trail. Now if you have a frying pan or combo pot lid your okay. But with a Jetboil you can't do much unless you're carrying the larger pot version. I think if my stove was limited to being a water heater, I'd opt to have a piece of cookware suitable for use on an wood camp fire for those times I might want to really cook. If I had to have a stove to do double duty I might go for the Simmerlite or a cannister that had a good fuel valve/burner capable of throttling. I think the differences in cooking styles, and the importance given by different hikers, is one of the biggest differences in HYOH. Hikers seem to run the gamut between stoveless powerbar eaters to galloping gourmets. Just my 2 cents.;) :)

rafe
02-24-2007, 12:05
I think the differences in cooking styles, and the importance given by different hikers, is one of the biggest differences in HYOH. Hikers seem to run the gamut between stoveless powerbar eaters to galloping gourmets. Just my 2 cents.;) :)

I'd agree with all of that. I'm making a concerted effort to "lighten up" and part of that is to carry less food and make more frequent town stops (eg. every three or four days.) So having "interesting" trail food just isn't that important any more.

Carrying steaks & such up the trail makes little sense to me. Presumably I've eaten well in town and am heading up the mountain on a full stomach. The steaks would have to be eaten on the first night out of town, anyway, so I'm not sure I see the point. If I could get the steaks air-dropped on the 2nd or 3rd night out, that would be wonderful. ;)

SunnyWalker
03-04-2007, 22:27
Hey, hey, hey, how about the Stratus Trailstove. You don't gotta carry any fuel! It's great. Cook as long as you want. Although I do have a MSR Whisperlite. I have been using the Stratus now. So far so good. Other campers always complain or criticize but they only heat water, etc. and put theirs out quick. Guess who they cozy over to, to make some coffee hot chocolate after their stove is out? Fun, fun. -SunnyWalker