PDA

View Full Version : Railriders

Ridge Rat
02-15-2007, 01:13
Has anyone used this gear. www.railriders.com (http://www.railriders.com). I just found out about it by accident and appearently its what the eco-challenge guys use, but I am not sure about durability or comfort though they claim all their stuff is super light-weight. I am wondering if what will work for an adventure race will work on a long distance hike. Any opinions would be helpful (Im setting this thread up for disaster).

illusionistG
02-15-2007, 01:33
RIdge Rat....I have a couple pair of their pants. Love them. Lightweight yet strong. They reinforce at the knees and backend. I'm a trail maintainer in the Presidential Range in the NH Whites, and they've taken a beating, but no rips or tears. There is some water repellancy in them plus they dry fast if they do get saturated. Price can be a little high, but I feel they're a good product.

humunuku
02-15-2007, 09:38
Yup, I've got 2 pairs of shorts and one pair of pants-I think I got them in the late 90's - they just keep on going.

gdwelker
02-15-2007, 11:25
YES! I have two pairs of the weather pants, and two pairs of the winter weather pants. They have replaced jeans in my wardrobe. Extremely sturdy pants. My one set it at least 7 years old. See a gear review of them I did at http://welker.atspace.com/index_files/Page1754.htm This was a review of an older model. Current models have replaced the button with a brass rivet, and the zippers are more substantial.

I also like their ecomesh long sleeve shirts for sea kayaking. Good sun protection and very well ventilated. Again, pretty sturdy material.

Spork
02-15-2007, 11:45
My wife and I both have a pair of their convertible zip-off pants (not sure whether they're still offering these). They're extremely light (7oz), tough, and great quality. I highly recommend them!

Creaky
02-15-2007, 19:45
Expensive, not especially well cut or attractive, tough as nails, very light, quick-drying, wind-shedding, underbrush-protecting. No stupid cargo pockets. I don't hike without them, but don't wear them otherwise. (Mine are OLD...new ones may be fashionable as the devil.)

Miner
02-15-2007, 21:49
Many people who hike the PCT use their products. Their long sleeve eco-shirt protect you from the sun and yet has plenty of vents to keep you cool.