PDA

View Full Version : Heading into towns

OntheRoad
02-15-2007, 12:38
I will be hiking the trail in late March and have decided to just resupply in towns in whatever grocery stores or gas stations I can find. My question is this: When do you know where your turn is to head to town? Is there a big sign off the main trail that says "Neel's Gap -->" or does the trail run straight through to town. The reason I am asking is I have not yet bought any guide books or companions so I really have no idea about things like this. Do I even need to purchase a guide book or is it blatantly obvious where the side trails are to get to town?

rafe
02-15-2007, 12:41
You need the guide books and/or maps. At least one or the other. In general there will not be a blue blaze trail into town. You'll have to walk or hitch for some distance along a road.

Sly
02-15-2007, 12:41
You'll need a guide, get the ALDHA Companion

Fannypack
02-15-2007, 12:45
go to an outfitter who sells the books and look them over (AT Companion, AT Databook) - Wingfoot's book, I guess u will have to look online for this. U need the book(s) to know where to leave trail to go to town & also u need to know what facilities are in that town and finally u need to have an idea of how many days of food to leave town with so u can make it to the next town.

Obviously it takes a little planning depending on your hiking speed and preferences... Read BJ resupply article(s) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1) to see some suggestions.

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2007, 12:46
I will be hiking the trail in late March and have decided to just resupply in towns in whatever grocery stores or gas stations I can find. My question is this: When do you know where your turn is to head to town? Is there a big sign off the main trail that says "Neel's Gap -->" or does the trail run straight through to town. The reason I am asking is I have not yet bought any guide books or companions so I really have no idea about things like this. Do I even need to purchase a guide book or is it blatantly obvious where the side trails are to get to town?

It ain't an interstate highway with fuel and lodging signs. The companion, data book, guide books, in pretty much that order all help. Even better are the trail maps published by the section clubs as they show all the blue blazed trails in detail. More info = more weight, no way around it. There is also a wealth of info available from other hikers, especially the section and local hikers who have much better local knowledge of approach trails and local stores, etc.

Fannypack
02-15-2007, 12:48
http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn06.pdf
print 1st 7 pages for Georgia info

JP
02-15-2007, 13:16
Check out the resupply articles on WB. Jack has put a lot of work into them.

Blissful
02-15-2007, 14:10
Another good reason to have maps so you know when the turn is coming up and where to head.

Ender
02-15-2007, 14:45
I planned everything on trail using the Data Book, including town stops. Never had a problem. I did use Wingfoot's book once I was in town to help find the grocery store, restaurant, library, etc etc etc...

whykickamoocow
02-16-2007, 22:41
http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn06.pdf
print 1st 7 pages for Georgia info

Thanks fannypack, i just downloaded these 7 pages and now i have some idea of what is in these companion books. They are full of lots of very interesting information.

Frosty
02-17-2007, 01:03
I will be hiking the trail in late March and have decided to just resupply in towns in whatever grocery stores or gas stations I can find. My question is this: When do you know where your turn is to head to town? Is there a big sign off the main trail that says "Neel's Gap -->" Yeah, it's a big green sign. You want to make sure you're in the right hand lane well ahead of time on some of the exits. I got stuck in the high speed lane once and missed the Franklin Exit completely. Had to go all the way to the next exit at the NOC, make a u-turn and come back to US 64. Cost me four days.

Okay, maybe not. Maybe just get the companion and data book and you'll be fine.