PDA

View Full Version : Rangeley River Camp?

VictoriaM
02-15-2007, 12:53
I had been planning a mail drop to go there, but the latest Companion doesn't list in anymore. Is it gone, or just not listed? Is there anyplace else I can pick up a mail drop in that area without having to hitch nine miles (or more) off the Trail?

Fannypack
02-15-2007, 13:19
Why don't u call the phone number listed in the 2006 Campanion?
Maine 4—West 0.3 mile to
Rangeley River Camp, (207) 246-2060, on Sandy River, owned by Don Lema; <snip>

Fannypack
02-15-2007, 13:21
Btw, I would not mail a package to anyplace besides a PO w/o calling the place/business to confirm that there still accept packages. Just a suggestion.

DawnTreader
02-15-2007, 13:22
This camp was not in business last summer when I passed through.. It was owned by the same duo who run the Stratton Motel and the Maine Roadhouse.. I sent a maildrop to the Dry River Camp, and I guess it ended up at the Stratton Motel's P.o. Box. The owners dropped it off to me in downtown Rangely..

Sly
02-15-2007, 13:35
I think most people go Andover to Stratton. Both are easy hitches and have hiker hostels.

spittinpigeon
02-15-2007, 15:28
Rangely is a nice tourist town, and (as I heard) is Kurt Russel's home town. I went swimming in the pond, saw a movie. But I lost my memory card with my katahdin pic. And Coppertop's mail drop was stolen there. I may pass it up next time thru.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2007, 21:20
Apparently that place never existed at all.

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2007, 21:26
If you don't want to use the Rangeley Post Office, I suggest you try Gull Pond Lodge Hostel, a very nice place.

They can be reached at (207) 864-5563, and hold packages for guests.

VictoriaM
02-15-2007, 23:45
If you don't want to use the Rangeley Post Office, I suggest you try Gull Pond Lodge Hostel, a very nice place.

They can be reached at (207) 864-5563, and hold packages for guests.

How close are they to the trail? I'd really rather not hitch (or walk, or whatever) a long distance.

attroll
02-16-2007, 01:59
How close are they to the trail? I'd really rather not hitch (or walk, or whatever) a long distance.

Gull Pond Lodge is not close to the Trail. It will requite a hitch to get into Rangeley and then Bob will have to come pick you up because he is not intown.

rafe
02-16-2007, 09:14
VictoriaM, you'll be doing a lot of hitching and roadwalking between Springer and Katahdin. No way around it, really. Prolly a bit more so in Maine than elsewhere.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2007, 09:53

hitching a long way in maine is a fact of life. you're gonna have to deal with it.

rafe
02-16-2007, 10:01
FWIW... easy slackpacking opportunities between Grafton Notch and Maine Highway 17... based out of Andover ME. All told about 3 days worth of hiking. The short stretch between Rangeley and Stratton is a b!tch, but very beautiful.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2007, 10:03
FWIW... easy slackpacking opportunities between Grafton Notch and Maine Highway 17... based out of Andover ME. All told about 3 days worth of hiking. The short stretch between Rangeley and Stratton is a b!tch, but very beautiful.

don't slackpack in maine. spent each night in the maine woods, not some overcrowded hostel

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2007, 10:04
Victoria---

These guys are right, sooner or later EVERYONE hitches.

What many women do is they find a hiker they know and make arrangements ahead of time (like the night before) to either hike to the road crossing together, or to meet at the crossing and then hitch in and out of town together. This is actually very easy to do, especially in Maine, where the towns are few and far between, meaning EVERYONE has to go into them, so it's just a question of finding someone else to hitch with. But really, you don't have a whole lot of choice here....Andover, ME is 8 miles off the Trail; Rangeley is 9; Stratton is 5; Monson is 3.5 You will NOT be roadwalking to these towns!

rafe
02-16-2007, 18:12
don't slackpack in maine. spent each night in the maine woods, not some overcrowded hostel

Well yeah, but the food's a lot better in town. :D

minnesotasmith
02-17-2007, 03:43
Nice guy running it, nice place. I'd definitely suggest going there. He slackpacked me for reasonable rates, too. :D

mweinstone
02-18-2007, 13:57
red b lives in rangeley. sent him some magic yesterday. if ya want his number, beg.

VictoriaM
02-18-2007, 14:21
red b lives in rangeley. sent him some magic yesterday. if ya want his number, beg.

I don't beg. :)

I think I'll be going with the South Arm Campground near Andover. Only 3.5 miles off-Trail. I can walk that.

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2007, 14:28
In doing so, you'll miss out on meeting some great folks. Paul and Ilene at the Pine Ellis Guest House are wonderful folks, and so are Honey and Bear in the Cabin.

And this still doesn't solve what you're goping to do at Rangeley, Stratton, or Monson. (Or for that matter North Woodstock NH; Manchester Center ME; Waynesboro VA; Bland VA; Gatlinburg TN; Franklin NC; Hiawassee GA and all sorts of other places you'll probably want to visit that are too far from the Trail to walk.

99% of thru-hikers hitch a ride at some point, and there are ways to do it safely.

But whatever works for you........

Jester2000
02-18-2007, 16:03
Victoria---

These guys are right, sooner or later EVERYONE hitches.

What many women do is they find a hiker they know and make arrangements ahead of time . . .

It is incredibly easy to find a guy to do this with, as being with a woman dramatically increases a guy's chances of getting picked up.

Regardless, no need to make a decision on Maine now, I hope. If you have a support person who's going to mail your drop, you could give them a planned location now, and change it if you realize that getting to where you want to be (rather than what seems convenient now) is strangely easy.