PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hikers: What Kept You on the Trail?

Walkaboutkay
02-15-2007, 19:36
HEY THRU-HIKERS! WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO SUCCEED IN THE GOAL OF HIKING THE WHOLE A.T.? WHAT KEPT YOU ON THE TRAIL? :confused:

Along with your thoughts, I’d appreciate knowing if you are male or female and how old you were when you did your thru-hike.
Walkabout GA-ME 1991-2004 (OK, it took me a while...)

Jim Adams
02-15-2007, 19:46
Male--37 yrs old--beer and the thought of having to return to work.

Male--49 yrs old--beer and the thought of having to return to work.

geek

Cedar Tree
02-15-2007, 20:04
My girlfriend at the time, soon to be x, said my Pug had a better chance of finishing than I did. And my Stepfather said I'd be home in 2 weeks. Spite keep me going lots of days.
CT

moxie
02-15-2007, 20:31
I am not one that ever quits a project I have started, There were several times I would have loved to quit but it was never a serious option with me. The late "Just Plain Dave" had the same spirt I had but he injured his knee so bad near Catawba, Va. he just couldn't hike. His damage was perminent and he was never able to return to his job. I guess a serious injury or death of a loved one could have forced me off the trail but nothing else I can think of. Male and 62 when I hiked in 2000,:jump

Footslogger
02-15-2007, 21:07
I'm a pretty stubborn and focussed person. But, what kept me on the trail is the same thing that has kept me on task throughout my life ...a deep seated comittment to a goal. When I hit my lowest lows and questioned my will/ability to go on I often used a mental image of my wife, standing in front of me and encouraging me to take that next step.

I think it's important to have some internal personal means of support when you untertake something difficult.

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2007, 21:10
41 year old male; I'm a stubborn jackass.

hopefulhiker
02-15-2007, 21:17
It was something I had promised myself I would do when I was a kid.. It took 37 years... but I did it in 05

rafe
02-15-2007, 21:37
... ummm... gravity?

khaynie
02-15-2007, 22:18
My wife and I agree that it was a combination of stubborness, pride, the ability to know that tomorrow is a new day, and being able to keep a postive attitude kept us going. I was 26 and she was 25 when we SOBO'd. Oh, and it was a lifelong dream, too. Yeah, that really helped.

Marta
02-15-2007, 22:53
Stubborness. Pride.

Curiosity about what would happen next.

Peace. Beauty. Joy.

Female, 52, had been planning to do it since I was 12.

TurkeyBacon
02-16-2007, 10:03
I had a kid from NYC who was obviously on his first backpacking trip ask me that in NY state. I told him that if you wake up everymorning and enjoy what you do then you will keep doing it. I enjoyed even the bad days. But I never had the thought of quitting except for once... Fortunately it was in the 100 mile wilderness and the fastest way out was to finnish.
male 24
TB

Boat Drinks
02-16-2007, 10:20
Male--37 yrs old--beer and the thought of having to return to work.

Male--49 yrs old--beer and the thought of having to return to work.

geek

Ah, I've found my Master!:D

Lone Wolf
02-16-2007, 10:21
HEY THRU-HIKERS! WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO SUCCEED IN THE GOAL OF HIKING THE WHOLE A.T.? WHAT KEPT YOU ON THE TRAIL? :confused:

Along with your thoughts, I’d appreciate knowing if you are male or female and how old you were when you did your thru-hike.
Walkabout GA-ME 1991-2004 (OK, it took me a while...)

money kept me on, lack of it drove me off.

DavidNH
02-16-2007, 12:16
I am male 44 years old (43 at time of my hike). Quit a job in order to do the hike.

When things got discouraging, I just reminded my self, stick it out a few more days and it will get better (generally it did). Bgs will deminish, scenery gets better, rain ends). Also, being a north bounder I had wonderful scenery of NH and Maine to look forward to.

I think looking back. In the south and north there was a lot of excitement and new ness. In south, scenery is good, weather descent (compared to up north) and everything is some what new. By the northern portions..Massto Me) scenery is getting real nice, and the end is in sight.

The real mental challenge for me was in between. More or less from Harpers Ferry through CT. Scerery here was bland. Temperatures very hot, conditions buggy in places. Rocky PA. And 4 straight days of a torrential rains in PA. For me getting through PA was the turning point.

Finally, when all else fails.. get off for a couple days to a motel or hostel. You can shower, washa and dry all clothes and eat hardy in the restaurants. To me that did wonders!

DavidNH (snickers)

RockyBob
02-16-2007, 16:28
Knowing that I would have to start looking for a job as soon as I got off the trail kept me going.

thru hiked 1980. 23yrs old

minnesotasmith
02-17-2007, 03:51
I didn't want to have a catch in my voice when talking about the AT the rest of my life.

I hate to quit anything I start, even things I arguably should not have started.

I had things to accomplish with doing a thruhike that I would still have needed to do, had I quit.

I would have had to start all over another year, with picking up where I left off not being a complete experience.

I didn't want to give a few pr*cks here on WB who said I had no chance of finishing the satisfaction of seeing me bail.

I wanted to have my finishing my thruhike as a shared triumph with certain friends (mainly on WB) and a couple of family members (mother, and cousin who came out to hike a few days in NH with me, mainly).

wilderness bob
02-17-2007, 07:30
What does it take to succeed? To each is own however, to try to sum it up in a few words can be difficult. For me, flexibility, adaptation and the realization that with each step the dream was becoming a reality.

Sly
02-17-2007, 08:30
money kept me on, lack of it drove me off.

What Wolfie said! :banana

mrc237
02-17-2007, 08:47
I agree, lotsa ca$h helps!!! Without it I'd never had made it. BTW nice post MS you showed them pri*ks!!:::::M-55

Papa Razzi
02-17-2007, 13:19
I kept going because it was exactly what I wanted to be doing at the time.

the goat
02-17-2007, 13:31
WHAT KEPT YOU ON THE TRAIL? :confused:

not wanting to go back to the daily b.s. that is the "real world".:eek:

Ketch-Up
02-23-2007, 01:02
I kept going because my truck was parked in Maine.
Male 28 at Thru hike.

Spirit Walker
02-23-2007, 01:44
Female - 31 on first thruhike

Different things on different days kept me on the trail: sometimes it was curiosity about what was around the next corner, sometimes it was happiness at being in the natural world I love, sometimes it was pride - an unwillingness to admit I wasn't up to the task, sometimes it was the fact that I had little to go back home to - and I really hate looking for work.

After my first hike, I kept going back for other long distance treks because I discovered that I am most deeply happy while hiking, more aware and alive than in my ordinary life. And it definitely beats working.

Blue Jay
02-23-2007, 06:26
the thought of having to return to work.

I agree 100% with this one.

TinAbbey
02-23-2007, 07:49
not wanting to separate myself from the hiking community I found myself in, which i felt happened once I climbed Katahdin

I remember having an overwhelming feeling that there's something happening in the present that I'm no longer a part of. That I'm no longer connected. That, I feel is a good reason to make a thru-hike last a long time.

Jaybird
02-23-2007, 08:15
HEY THRU-HIKERS! WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO SUCCEED IN THE GOAL OF HIKING THE WHOLE A.T.? ...............

One boot in front of the other for 2,175 miles!:D

Grampie
02-23-2007, 10:10
Once I got into trail shape, there wasn't anything that would make me quit. I just loved what I was doing sooooo much.:sun

skeeterfeeder
02-23-2007, 22:30
I told every single person I knew (including myself) that I was going to hike the trail. I would have died, or at least been crippled, before I'd stopped. Quitting was NOT an option.

rafe
02-23-2007, 22:56
I told every single person I knew (including myself) that I was going to hike the trail. I would have died, or at least been crippled, before I'd stopped. Quitting was NOT an option.

Hopefully you had a good time of it, regardless. I can't imagine anyone would put up with months of misery to save face. 'Specially when most folks think you're mildly insane for even trying such a thing.

Bloodroot
02-23-2007, 22:59
What kept me on the trail? The thought of coming back and being part of the machine.

Mouse
02-23-2007, 23:18
Stubborn, persistent, not knowing if I'd ever get another chance, Wanting to publish my journal and going all the way would make a better story than giving up.

SalParadise
02-24-2007, 01:29
man, i cursed every single hill and wanted to quit the Trail every day until even Maine. it was definitely having it set in my head that i was going to thru-hike 100% before i ever started that kept me going and what brought me back a year later when i had to quit in 04.

emerald
02-24-2007, 08:20
I think anyone who contemplates quitting should do this:jumpand then resume hiking. Truth be told, I just wanted to post a "jump." I feel better now. Thank you for allowing me to get that out of my system.;)

Maybe later I'll post something more useful.

skeeterfeeder
02-24-2007, 13:10
Hopefully you had a good time of it, regardless. I can't imagine anyone would put up with months of misery to save face. 'Specially when most folks think you're mildly insane for even trying such a thing.

It WAS and incredible experience, although fun is not a term I would apply. It was hard work. And my knees and feet were in pretty bad shape by the time I finished. But to say you can't imagine anyone putting up with months of misery to save face means you don't understand men, or at least this man. When I say I'm going to do something, you can pretty much take it to the bank. I was programmed early on that if a man doesn't have his word, he has nothing.

rafe
02-24-2007, 15:48
It WAS and incredible experience, although fun is not a term I would apply. It was hard work. And my knees and feet were in pretty bad shape by the time I finished. But to say you can't imagine anyone putting up with months of misery to save face means you don't understand men, or at least this man. When I say I'm going to do something, you can pretty much take it to the bank. I was programmed early on that if a man doesn't have his word, he has nothing.

Well... yeah maybe. What does your "word" matter when it's about finishing or not finishing a through hike? Is someone (except you) going to suffer as a consquence? But you're right, there are lots of things about "American males" I don't understand, like golf, NASCAR, professional sports, muscle cars, and so on. These things leave me totally baffled. :D

Lone Wolf
02-24-2007, 15:53
there are lots of things about "American males" I don't understand, like golf, NASCAR, professional sports, muscle cars, and so on. These things leave me totally baffled. :D

maybe you're a latent homo:)

rafe
02-24-2007, 16:05
maybe you're a latent homo:)

At age 54, how much longer will I have to wait to find out? ;)

skeeterfeeder
02-24-2007, 22:47
Well... yeah maybe. What does your "word" matter when it's about finishing or not finishing a through hike? Is someone (except you) going to suffer as a consquence? But you're right, there are lots of things about "American males" I don't understand, like golf, NASCAR, professional sports, muscle cars, and so on. These things leave me totally baffled. :D

Like you, I don't understand golf, NASCAR, muscle cars, and so on, however your statement what does ones' word mean about finishing or not shows the difference between us. I think it has everything to do with it. If you can't rely on my word, then what can you rely on? Nothing. I don't think that makes me a typical 'American Male', but rather an honest American Male. And I am damned proud to be both.

Tipper
02-25-2007, 12:35
Agree with Papa Razzo. The Trail is where I wanted to be. I never woke up and thought about whether or not to bail. It was natural and felt normal to be there. Of course, I could have felt guilty about being away from home, but my wife supported me 100%, as did the many friends and family who followed my trip. In a sense, I was completing the trip for them, as well as me (99% me, 1% them, really!). Luckily, besides this support, I was blessed with good personal finances, a house without pending repair issues , a son off to college and doing well, and I got paid to work for the ATC while on trail, all contributed to my positive state-of-mind.