PDA

View Full Version : Filming the AT project, donations appreciated

jmcmichen
02-15-2007, 22:08
Hello everybody. I haven't posted much in these forums, but I have spent long hours reading them. I want to let you all know about the project my company has been planning for the past year, and to ask if anyone has an interest in making small (or large?) donations of funds or critical lightweight gear that is on our list. In no way do I want to be pushy - just want to let you know about the opportunity and see if there's any interest in supporting the project. If the idea turns you off, please read no further.

Anyway, the idea in a nutshell is to SOBO section-hike beginning this summer with a videographer and one or two support hikers. We will film our traverse and make DVDs from the video footage for several target markets. We have experience shooting video and creating DVDs. If we can get the gear we want, we'll have base pack weights around 11 pounds including two video cameras filming in tandem, extended life batteries and tapes. For full project details, gear lists, news coverage, progress reports, sample iteneraries, my brief resume, specs on the video cameras, to see an older sample video, and for info on donations please visit the website at http://www.downeastwebs.com/AT .

Donors and sponsors will have access to a full-disclosure page on our site which will show all funds and gear received and used. We even have a Federal Tax ID # to show our sincerity about this project. Donations from businesses may be tax deductible (see website). If youre interested, there's a Donate Now button on the website that will let you make a PayPal donation, or info about other options for donation/sponsorship.

If you have questions post them here or email [email protected] and I'll answer them as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2007, 08:51
After reading your websites, I don't understand what your charitable pupose is. Are you going to be giving the DVDs away free?

rumbler
02-19-2007, 09:25
Some of your 6 mile days in the 100 mile wilderness will take you all of about two hours to walk.

mudhead
02-19-2007, 09:37
Wonder if she will move back to Georgia and restart her "Marketing Company," when she is done.

DawnTreader
02-19-2007, 10:37
I don't understand why this person is asking for money?? Go hike your hike, film it if you want, but why should we give you cash?

max patch
02-19-2007, 10:42
Whatta load of crap. Get a second job to finance your project.

Krewzer
02-19-2007, 11:34
We will ..... make DVDs from the video footage for several target markets.

WOW! She must have a set balls as big as the tires on my truck.
Send me money and I will make you one of several target markets.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Smile
02-19-2007, 11:41
You can post your 501(3)C information, and we can check it out at the IRS's online charitable organization information pages, and see your disclosed reports there.

Otherwise, maybe save up the money and go in a few years when you can pay for everthing, IMHO most folks here have their hands full with their own expenditure$ for their hike.

Have fun with your project!

TJ aka Teej
02-19-2007, 11:50
A video about an AT hike? C'mon... at least have an original idea..

Smile
02-19-2007, 11:51
P.S. I just went to this site, and while it's very nice that you have stated:

We are going to great lengths to assure potential Sponsors and Donors that we are above-board. We recently acquired a Federal Tax ID number to help reinforce our sincerity,

No great lengths, you can get one online at the IRS number, it takes about 5 minutes.

As for reinforcing your "sincerety", it just states you plan on making enough money to have to pay taxes. Federal Tax ID#'s or EINS are used for businesses who have or intend on forming as a business, DBA, or corporation (i.e. C,S or LLC) or a sole proprietor. The EIN number doesn't make anything "legit" other than you are doing business, and plan on paying your taxes from your profits, which I assume you are going to need if you are taking in profits for the sale of the DVD's.

Not for Profit orgs receive their EIN and a Tax Exempt certificate, and are first registered with their state (SOS, and the Attny. Gen. of that state), and can also apply for their 501(3)C status.

Otherwise, you are just asking for money, flat out.

Fiddler
02-19-2007, 12:47
If anyone does donate, and maybe has a little left over for another donation, please send it to me. Then maybe I can do my hike sooner (and at less personal expense).

norub
02-19-2007, 13:42
You want us to buy your toilet paper for you? :confused:

Rain Man
02-19-2007, 13:52
I want ... to ask if anyone has an interest in making small (or large?) donations of funds or critical lightweight gear that is on our list. In no way do I want to be pushy - just want to let you know about the opportunity and see if there's any interest in supporting the project. If the idea turns you off, please read no further.

I thought your post was gracious and above board. That's not always true of everyone who asks for money and/or offers things for sale on here. Some may be taking that out on you.

I apologize that some WhiteBlazers have been needlessly harsh and/or mean-spirited in their replies. That just reflects on them, not on you. Plus, I seriously doubt they are that way in real life. Keep your chin up and stay honest and gracious. Best to you, and ... believe it or not, welcome to WhiteBlaze.

Rain:sunMan

Sly
02-19-2007, 14:01
You're being too nice Rain Man. The successful business woman needs to fund her own hike/video. Why should anyone else? It's not even for charity.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2007, 14:03
sounds like her "company" is broke. the AT has been fimed to death anyway.

John B
02-19-2007, 14:09
Am I missing something? At first I thought you were soliciting charitable donations, and maybe you are but if so I don't get it. It seems that you want to do an AT video and then sell copies to health clubs to use by giving yuppies on treadmills something to look at to forestall boredom, all accompanied by some "upbeat" pop music, 'cause God only knows the silence of the forests is a total drag. Did I miss something? Oh yeah, you want others to pay your expenses, which includes a $599 Garmin. Will you distribute any profits back to contributors, or do they just get the warm, fuzzy feeling from spending money on your behalf?

"Another DVD series will specifically target the fitness-minded consumer. People who use treadmills or stationary bicycles often lag in their training due to boredom with the time spent exercising. Our DVDs will offer the visual stimulation of moving down a Trail that is a national icon, with a choice of natural outdoor noises or upbeat audio accompaniment. We believe that these DVDs will fill a niche in the market that has been vacant until now."

Sly
02-19-2007, 14:34
LOL.... "fill a niche that's been vacant until now"

That assumes two things. That there ever was a niche and that the film will get made.

norub
02-19-2007, 14:46
"We believe that these DVDs will fill a niche in the market that has been vacant until now."

Riiight. Cuz, like,
nobody's (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39198272&memberId=12500226)ever filmed the AT before. :rolleyes:

Sly
02-19-2007, 14:54
Riiight. Cuz, like,
nobody's (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39198272&memberId=12500226)ever filmed the AT before. :rolleyes:

No, I think the niche is for the treadmill types that can't be bothered hiking the real thing.

I remember this amusement ride once where you sat inside a capsule that resembled a roller coaster. it would jerk up, down and sideways as you watched a screen of a real roller coaster ride. It also had sound and if I'm not mistaken wind effects.

I imagine you could make a virtual AT hike with an invertible threadmill/stair master with similar features.

Marta
02-19-2007, 15:04
I imagine you could make a virtual AT hike with an invertible threadmill/stair master with similar features.

It wouldn't be any fun without simulated rain. And simulated bugs.

Marta/Five-Leaf

norub
02-19-2007, 15:09
I don't get it. A lot of members here are scrimping and saving, working second and third jobs, etc to save for their own thruhikes. Meanwhile Jane wants us to buy her a boatload of overpriced ultralight gear and gadgets so she can make and sell a DVD about her doing a little section-hike of a tiny portion of AT?:-?

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 15:51
I am appalled by this "proposal" and its attempt to use WhiteBlaze for blatant business purpose that has little, if any, benefit to the AT.

Unlike Ronin's "seminars" a month or so ago, which he promoted outside of WB, the first post here asks people for "contributions" for a money-making effort, the sole benefit of which goes to the owner. While it doesn't ask for charitable contributions, it makes it sound like a "help the AT" touchy-feely kind of thing, and it's good it doesn't say, "charity" since I don't think it's listed with any state as an approved group with permission to seek charitable contributions.

I think this is disgraceful, and the author of Post 1 should withdraw her request and either close out her website or drastically redo it.

The Weasel

norub
02-19-2007, 16:02
Just re-read her "resume".

She's a day-hiker. Apparently hasn't even spent a single night on a trail. :rolleyes:

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 16:05
But she HAS read a lot of posts here!

The Weasel

norub
02-19-2007, 17:53
And maybe she's even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

Smile
02-19-2007, 18:07
She's just trying to follow her ideas, I give her credit for her tenacity. Everybody's got to start somewhere, but this was probably the wrong forum to write to and yogi for $$ for her project. Especially when using the word DONATION.

Not cool, just naive IMHO.

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 18:20
She's just trying to follow her ideas, I give her credit for her tenacity. Everybody's got to start somewhere, but this was probably the wrong forum to write to and yogi for $$ for her project. Especially when using the word DONATION.

Not cool, just naive IMHO.

Smile, I usually like to feel for the underdog, but "Jane" says that she has read a lot of WhiteBlaze, which means it's hard for her to say she is "naive" or doesn't understand how people feel here. Then she comes on to beg for money, not just to hike the trail, but so she can create a product to sell to other people.

Not even Bill Bryson (I don't think) tried to hustle the trail community for money before he started his "hike."

The Weasel

Smile
02-19-2007, 19:54
I agree, I just tried to put myself in her shoes for a few steps. I totally disagree with the way she came across, definately a bad idea to be asking for bucks on here.

You're right though Weas.

I sometimes attempt to see the brighter side in everything to a fault :)

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 20:21
I agree, I just tried to put myself in her shoes for a few steps. I totally disagree with the way she came across, definately a bad idea to be asking for bucks on here.

You're right though Weas.

I sometimes attempt to see the brighter side in everything to a fault :)

Smile, I hear ya, and I tried to think it through first too. I read her whole site hoping to see some charitable intent. All I found was a lot of babble about "niche markets" and other foolish stuff. She wants to take time off to do section hikes and have other people pay for it. Even THAT would be tolerable (and not the first here), but then she is bragging about how she can sell it to others.

That was a little much even for me.

We don't differ. And yeah, I knew what you meant.

The Weasel

Sly
02-19-2007, 20:30
What I found insulting was the "rewards ladder"....

"Personal donations by individuals or organizations will have a "rewards ladder" available to show our appreciation. All donations will be recognized on the View Donations web page. Those who donate $25.00 - $49.99 will have the right to pre-purchase the first DVDs before they go on the retail market. Those who donate $50.00 - $99.99 can pre-purchase one of the first DVDs at half price. Those who donate $100.00 - $249.99 will receive a free copy of the first DVD of their choice. Donations of $250.00 - $499.99 will garner the donor two free DVDs of their choice from the first run and a listing in the Sponsors section for the Project 2007. We are looking into the possibility of offering commemorative T-shirts to those who make personal donations in this category as well. Personal donations of $500 or more will entitle the donor to have their name, or the organization's name, displayed on the person or gear of the videographer just like the business donors outlined above. Of course, all personal donations will also be recognized on the printed DVD inserts, the DVD credits, and in all books which arise from the project, separated by calendar year to make multiple donations easily recognizable. Sponsors and Donors will also be able to log in to view recent video clips of the project as it goes along. This feature will not be available to the general public."

Thanks, but no thanks. I have my own hike to fund.

Jester2000
02-19-2007, 20:36
Those who donate $100.00 - $249.99 will receive a free copy of the first DVD of their choice.

Man, I gotta get me a $250 DVD. It would have to be the best DVD ever. I would loan that thing to no one.

Skidsteer
02-19-2007, 20:37
What I found insulting was the "rewards ladder"....

"Personal donations by individuals or organizations will have a "rewards ladder" available to show our appreciation. All donations will be recognized on the View Donations web page. Those who donate $25.00 - $49.99 will have the right to pre-purchase the first DVDs before they go on the retail market. Those who donate $50.00 - $99.99 can pre-purchase one of the first DVDs at half price. Those who donate $100.00 - $249.99 will receive a free copy of the first DVD of their choice. Donations of $250.00 - $499.99 will garner the donor two free DVDs of their choice from the first run and a listing in the Sponsors section for the Project 2007. We are looking into the possibility of offering commemorative T-shirts to those who make personal donations in this category as well. Personal donations of $500 or more will entitle the donor to have their name, or the organization's name, displayed on the person or gear of the videographer just like the business donors outlined above. Of course, all personal donations will also be recognized on the printed DVD inserts, the DVD credits, and in all books which arise from the project, separated by calendar year to make multiple donations easily recognizable. Sponsors and Donors will also be able to log in to view recent video clips of the project as it goes along. This feature will not be available to the general public."

Thanks, but no thanks. I have my own hike to fund.

Kinda' like watchin a high-tech PBS fund drive. :p

Sly
02-19-2007, 20:42

Without the celebrities! :mad:

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 20:46
I was sort of hoping that this thread would be closed, as a "commercial" thread (that's what it is, after all), but I think that it is more effective the way it is. I don't think Jane reads as much WB as she said, but I hope she reads this thread.

The Weasel

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2007, 20:47

Except that PBS broadcasts its content for free.

I don't have a problem donating a few bucks a year to PBS, but this is pretty much just yogi-ing before the hike.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2007, 20:48
I was sort of hoping that this thread would be closed, as a "commercial" thread (that's what it is, after all), but I think that it is more effective the way it is. I don't think Jane reads as much WB as she said, but I hope she reads this thread.

The Weasel

careful what you wish for big boy, she's logged on and reading it now.:cool:

Skidsteer
02-19-2007, 20:52
Without the celebrities! :mad:

Or the obligatory British Host with the cool accent.

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 20:52
Why do need to be 'careful,' Wolf? I don't think there is much dispute, over the last 30-some messages, that her idea isn't welcomed with a lot of enthusiasm here.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
02-19-2007, 20:54
Why do need to be 'careful,' Wolf? I don't think there is much dispute, over the last 30-some messages, that her idea isn't welcomed with a lot of enthusiasm here.

The Weasel

neither is your bs lawyering.

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 21:02
Best compliment I've had all day...a knock from Wolf. Thank, Wolf; I mean it: People know you, too.

The Weasel

Skidsteer
02-19-2007, 21:08

The Weasel

I thought you drew the line at trashing how folks choose to make a living?

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2007, 21:19
Just FWIW,

If the web development company(s) she runs is so damn good, why is she soliciting donations for a lousy 3 G's? Someone please justify why a web development enterprise that can't come up with $3000 is worthy of "donations". Seemsto me like both the business and the hike are more like hobbies.

jmcmichen
02-19-2007, 21:37
As I said in my post, if the idea of the request offends you then please don't waste your time reading more. Rain Man, thank you for the kind words - yes, I'm just trying to be straighforward. Thank you, others whom I won't name since you didn't post, for the emails of support.

This project was started because Internet and retail store searches for DVDs (or VHF) of the AT only pulled up a very few results with the latest film done around 2004. I admire the knowledge and dedication of the members here. No offense was intended, but I also won't just fold from a little flaming.

There are lots of people who want and need video as well as maps and discussion to feel ready to tackle the Trail. While they, and I, may seem like wimps to you guys - well, everybody has to start somewhere. Yes, I could just gather my own gear and hit the Trail, (and I have spent quite a lot of time hiking and camping BTW, just not on a long term like a thru hike) but my dream is about sharing the Trail with people who need another nudge to get active and get out there as well as to share it with all the great hikers I meet along the way. Unfortunately, that takes even more $$ and preparation. Some people think this idea is worth supporting and some don't. That's fine with me. And once I have film footage, of course I will use it for more than one type of DVD.

I'll be section hiking for many reasons, camera equipment included. But I will get there. Thanks for all the posts - even the flaming. I appreciate the honest opinions.

Skidsteer
02-19-2007, 21:43
HYOH and welcome to WB.

norub
02-19-2007, 21:56
Some people think this idea is worth supporting and some don't.

The idea being...giving you money so you can sell DVDs about your series of very short section hikes so that you personally will profit financially?

ed bell
02-19-2007, 22:20
Welcome to WB. Lots of good info here. Be straight-up and it will be reciprocated.

Hikerhead
02-19-2007, 22:24
Maybe I'll purchase your DVD at the Gathering after your hike, maybe not. But, asking for money up front so that you can buy (2) 600.00 camcorders along with a lot of other gear that you probalby should already have.

I don't think so but thanks for asking anyway.

Good luck and HYOH.

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2007, 22:39
The website and the web design page both have pretty sorry looking design...stuff that looks straight out of the web circa 1997 or something..

I wasn't going to say anything about that, but it is hard to believe that a website for a web-design company has cheezy free stock photos and a design from a template. If the quality of the films you make are consistent with the quality of your websites, then you can expect them to fail miserably. If you don't have a particular talent, at least be smart enough to hire someone who does.

John B
02-20-2007, 08:58
Is there a reason that you don't go to a bank and apply for a loan? Have you gone to the SBA? Have you tried to do your financing by selling shares in your venture? What about going to a venture capital firm for financing?

Surely begging for donations isn't the way you've financed your previous business ventures.

I know that little kids hit up their parents for money to do a lemonade stand or lawn mowing or to buy a paper route and parents often don't expect to be repaid, but I've never heard of a 41 yr. old "business woman" asking for donations so that she can do a for-profit venture selling DVDs to health clubs.

TinAbbey
02-20-2007, 09:46
[quote=jmcmichen;325167]As I said in my post, if the idea of the request offends you then please don't waste your time reading more. I also won't just fold from a little flaming.

SHE might make it

The Weasel
02-20-2007, 11:54
I thought you drew the line at trashing how folks choose to make a living?
Skidster:

Her occupation is for her to pick. Advertising it on WhiteBlaze for free in order to make a profit isn't - to me - what this place is all about. If you like that, well, that's your call.

The Weasel

norub
02-20-2007, 12:20
Nowadays anyone with a "how to html" for dummies book and a basic html skills is a "web designer"..:rolleyes: Or they use one of those programs that does all the work for you..

From her source code:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="none, default">
<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tlb, default">

Frontpage :rolleyes: Microsofte themes :rolleyes:

No title. No metatags...

She hasn't even bought the dummies book yet. :D

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 12:42
...everybody has to start somewhere.

An adult professional soliciting for hiking and equipment money so that they may personally profit without sharing that profit with investors isn't usually considered a good start - it's considered panhandling. What is to stop you from simply pocketing the "donated" money and going to Aruba? Furthermore, as to "donations" being tax deductable for businesses, if your intent is to sell an advertising opportunity on your site or in your video, that would most likely violate WB's TOS. :eek:

Yes, I could just gather my own gear and hit the Trail...
:clap Sounds like a plan. :clap

Some people think this idea is worth supporting and some don't.
Sorry, I'm still trying to "support" saving all those pesky whales. Darfur got in the way this year. You're somewhere on the "B" list. :datz

The Weasel
02-20-2007, 12:43
From her source code:

Frontpage :rolleyes: Microsofte themes :rolleyes:

No title. No metatags...

Pick on something else. Whether she's good or bad at web design isn't the issue. Whether she can come to WB and seek "donations" for a profit making business is.

The Weasel

norub
02-20-2007, 12:54
Pick on something else. Whether she's good or bad at web design isn't the issue. Whether she can come to WB and seek "donations" for a profit making business is.

I think the reason people are pointing out the web design stuff is that it's another indication that she's not being up-front about things. A sucessful professional web-design firm would not have a website like that. Leads one to wonder what other claims are not aboveboard.

Agreed tho, the main issue is the panhandling on WB.

TJ aka Teej
02-20-2007, 12:58
From her source code:

Frontpage :rolleyes: Microsoft themes :rolleyes:

No title. No metatags...

Good point! I saw that too, norub. Whenever I'm sizing up anyone asking me for donations I look into how well they're performing at what they're trying to do. These guys failed at the very first test.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 13:03
Whenever I'm sizing up anyone asking me for donations I look into how well they're performing at what they're trying to do. These guys failed at the very first test.

I'm trying that concept now with my 1040, but the people at IRS keep insisting I send my donation.:mad: :rolleyes: :banana

The Weasel
02-20-2007, 13:28
Agreed tho, the main issue is the panhandling on WB.

Well, Yogi-ing has a fine tradition here as well as on the trail. It's not the panhandling that bothers me. It's "panhandling so I can make a profit and keep it." While sometimes you gotta admire chutzpah, this time, I don't.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 13:31
Well, Yogi-ing has a fine tradition here as well as on the trail. It's not the panhandling that bothers me. It's "panhandling so I can make a profit and keep it." While sometimes you gotta admire chutzpah, this time, I don't.

The Weasel

nothing you can do about it. tend to your own business.

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 13:40
Skidster:

Her occupation is for her to pick. Advertising it on WhiteBlaze for free in order to make a profit isn't - to me - what this place is all about. If you like that, well, that's your call.

The Weasel

...if the idea of the request offends you then please don't waste your time reading more...

She gave fair warning.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 13:56
nothing you can do about it. tend to your own business.

Departing from your and Weasel's ongoing clash, doesn't soliciting donations/sponsorship in exchange for advertising the donating/sponsoring party's business constitute a commercial purpose?

...We even have a Federal Tax ID # to show our sincerity about this project. Donations from businesses may be tax deductible (see website). If youre interested, there's a Donate Now button on the website that will let you make a PayPal donation, or info about other options for donation/sponsorship.

Also see : http://www.downeastwebs.com/AT/donations.htm

From http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement These rules are designed to make WhiteBlaze useful and enjoyable. Please follow them...

...No commercial posts are allowed, and spam is forbidden in both forums and private messages.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 13:59
Departing from your and Weasel's ongoing clash, doesn't soliciting donations/sponsorship in exchange for advertising the donating/sponsoring party's business constitute a commercial purpose?

Also see : http://www.downeastwebs.com/AT/donations.htm

From http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement These rules are designed to make WhiteBlaze useful and enjoyable. Please follow them...

...No commercial posts are allowed, and spam is forbidden in both forums and private messages.

then hostels, outfitters and motels can't advertise either

The Weasel
02-20-2007, 14:01
Quote:
...if the idea of the request offends you then please don't waste your time reading more...

She gave fair warning.

Well, Skids, I once was so foolish as to ask people to not post messages for several reasons, and got the living bejabbers beat of me for that, although I'm not sure if you personally were part of the wolf pack or not. So I take that admonition with a grain of salt.

But when I did so, it was to provide information for free to people, not to make a profit off of it, and I don't think someone gets a pass to hustle 'donations' here for their own profit by saying, "Well, if you don't agree, you can't say so." If you feel otherwise, as I said before, that's your right, just as Jane is free to "Yogi-for-profit" here on WhiteBlaze, and to take advantage - for free - of this site for her business (which troubles me about the User Agreement, but that's not for me to worry about). But others of us have the right to disagree. And I do.

The Weasel

The Weasel

The Weasel
02-20-2007, 14:05

By and large, I don't think they do. Occasionally, their owners will join in discussions, but I think that's fairly rare, also.

The Weasel

Chef2000
02-20-2007, 14:15
I own a small catering business and I need some more 600 dollar cambro food warmers for transporting , my fresh hot delicacies to my cutomers locations, so I can charge them exorbitant prices for something they could do themselves. Anyone wanna give me a few bucks? Oh yeah and the money i save from using Your Money instead of mine will go for my summer of hiking.

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 14:31
Quote:

Well, Skids, I once was so foolish as to ask people to not post messages for several reasons, and got the living bejabbers beat of me for that, although I'm not sure if you personally were part of the wolf pack or not. So I take that admonition with a grain of salt.

But when I did so, it was to provide information for free to people, not to make a profit off of it, and I don't think someone gets a pass to hustle 'donations' here for their own profit by saying, "Well, if you don't agree, you can't say so." If you feel otherwise, as I said before, that's your right, just as Jane is free to "Yogi-for-profit" here on WhiteBlaze, and to take advantage - for free - of this site for her business (which troubles me about the User Agreement, but that's not for me to worry about). But others of us have the right to disagree. And I do.

The Weasel

The Weasel

So you read the warning, ignored it, read the request, and got offended.

How would you like your Wolfpack membership card; embossed or laminated? ;)

If the request is out of line with the WB usage agreement, I trust the moderators will yank it when it suits them to do so. Pretty simple.

Alligator
02-20-2007, 14:41
I own a small catering business and I need some more 600 dollar cambro food warmers for transporting , my fresh hot delicacies to my cutomers locations, so I can charge them exorbitant prices for something they could do themselves. Anyone wanna give me a few bucks? Oh yeah and the money i save from using Your Money instead of mine will go for my summer of hiking.What kind of sandwich do I get for $200.00:D ?

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 14:59

Point taken, but I don't recollect any of them asking for uncompensated "donations". They provide existing goods or service for fee(a true donation in the case of many non-profit hostels) that hikers use. The poster isn't asking us to buy her AT video, she is asking for a handout to produce a product that does not yet even exist. I guess it is the manner and spirit in which this was offered that offends me - the way the message implies some purpose beyond profit and that it is somehow a "worthy cause". Why anyone's for-profit business venture is a cause worthy of personal donation is simply beyond my understanding.

As an analogy, it would kind of be like Zelph asking for 3G's in donations to finance R&D on a new backpacking stove he planned on selling commercially without offering anything in return other than a small discount on his newest "FusionBoil" stove - though the videos of THAT might actually be worth everyone chipping in a few bucks to see.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

John B
02-20-2007, 15:00
What kind of sandwich do I get for $200.00:D ?

You don't get a sandwich. You get the opportunity to purchase a sandwich before others. Now if you donate $600 or maybe a Garmin Rhino to keep your sorry reptilian self from getting lost on the trail, then maybe

The Weasel
02-20-2007, 15:12
So you read the warning, ignored it, read the request, and got offended.

How would you like your Wolfpack membership card; embossed or laminated? ;)

If the request is out of line with the WB usage agreement, I trust the moderators will yank it when it suits them to do so. Pretty simple.

Skids, glad you're attacking me, rather than Jane. You enjoy it and it lets her know that she's not alone. As for the card, you must be late to the game; I don't think the Wolfpack Club wants me in it. It's more fun making me the target.

Still, can't help but wonder why I didn't think to ask for money for my "Law for Backpackers" project. If I had, you'd be defending me, I'm sure. Dang. So much for giving people something for free. Tell you what. You send me money for what's already here for free and I won't tell anyone. Well, not until after I use it up. OK?

As for usage agreement, that's not my job; someone else mentioned it above. It would probably stop me from hustling business here, though. Unless I paid for it.

The Weasel

saimyoji
02-20-2007, 16:07

Like they don't already have enough to do this week....:-? :cool:

Boat Drinks
02-20-2007, 16:37

The Weasel

Again, quit telling people how to think and/or act dude. You are a flame artist aren't you?

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 18:18
The only reason the Moderators need to come in here is to slap some hands (heads would be better) and stop all the silly postering and testosterone.

The original poster was very up-front and even humble in her request. It's too bad you all have hi-jacked her thread and turned it into a hate-fest.

This is the BIGGEST thing wrong with WhiteBlaze.

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 18:27
Skids, glad you're attacking me, rather than Jane. You enjoy it and it lets her know that she's not alone. As for the card, you must be late to the game; I don't think the Wolfpack Club wants me in it. It's more fun making me the target.

Still, can't help but wonder why I didn't think to ask for money for my "Law for Backpackers" project. If I had, you'd be defending me, I'm sure. Dang. So much for giving people something for free. Tell you what. You send me money for what's already here for free and I won't tell anyone. Well, not until after I use it up. OK?

As for usage agreement, that's not my job; someone else mentioned it above. It would probably stop me from hustling business here, though. Unless I paid for it.

The Weasel

Some folks were offended by your posts in the Law thread. You are offended by Jane's posts in this thread. It's ironic.

I attempted to point out to you the irony of the situation with a light touch(note winking smiley).

I think it's ironic; You may disagree. All that means is that we disagree, not that anybody is attacking you.:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 18:38
Like they don't already have enough to do this week....:-? :cool:

I would say that at least two of the moderators have waaaay better things to do for the moment.

Sly
02-20-2007, 19:02
I own a small catering business and I need some more 600 dollar cambro food warmers for transporting , my fresh hot delicacies to my cutomers locations, so I can charge them exorbitant prices for something they could do themselves. Anyone wanna give me a few bucks? Oh yeah and the money i save from using Your Money instead of mine will go for my summer of hiking.

I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today! ;)

Smile
02-20-2007, 20:29
an, I gotta get me a $250 DVD. It would have to be the best DVD ever. I would loan that thing to no one.

It would have to give me a back massage AND carry my pack for that $!

It's nice that you stand up for yourself, but I also think that this thread belongs best under the heading FOR SALE.

jmcmichen
02-20-2007, 20:41
I don't have the time tonight, but I'll post tomorrow.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 20:45

don't bother with most of these a-holes. they don't hike

Krewzer
02-21-2007, 14:57
Oh good, you're coming back.

Now that I've had time to think about this, I'm having a change of heart. (I never really threw up or anything when I said "I think I'm going to be sick." So just ignore all that stuff.)

Where can I apply for one of those staff positions? I'm the opportunity of your life time, as I am currently needful of extra cash to finance one of my many adventures involving wild animals and remote areas of the earth. Alas, it is my calling and it takes more $$ and preparation.

My qualifications truly fit the niche market you are so valiantly endeavoring to fill. I am your target market when it comes to supporters and staff. At a minimum there are many thousand miles under these size 11 1/2 adventure seeking manly feet. My life is love fest of Hike. I personally coined and embody the phrase, "WAW!!!! (Wild about Wilderness, not as some jealous detractors say Wild about Women). And boy oh boy could I use....uhhhh, I mean, Boy oh boy do I know about all that new equipment that's going to be furnished with the job. You have excellent tastes, and you must be quite beautiful and highly intelligent and are gifted beyond normal imagination and have achieved much grace and charm while struggling to help the common people of human race. I'm sure you support freedom in Iraq, Afghanistan and Georgia and the constitution and bill of rights and capitalism. What a wonderful person you are and I truly wish to serve in a most high capacity of which I am vastly qualified to do (...at a discount).

But more about me! My extraordinary talents are why you have no choice and must acquire my personal self as the primary and gifted supporter/staffer. And do it soon before I decide to take one of the many other offers I'm currently receiving. I'm what I can only describe as a rugged veteran woodsman, mountaineer, adventurer with boyish good looks and Elvin hair (some might say there is a remarkable resemblance to the men of Gondor) who, (...or is whom?) is at home in swamp, desert, plains, small town, metropolis or high mountains and can converse with either prince or pauper in many diverse American dialects, including Alabamanite and Maineonaise.

Additionally, I'll put my tuna-mac'n'cheese dinners up against anyone's, including Emeril Lagasse. I can set up multiple tents in any gale, shake the biggest bugs out of the smallest bags, fetch water, gather wood, build fires in all but the wettest of conditions (below sea level). I don't sweat much, and then only in a sweet but manly way. I can cuss with the best of them, drink with the sorriest and sleep on rock and root and if required can properly snore enough to keep wild animals at bay while not disturbing my more human companions. John Wayne asked me about True Grit. I'm not afraid of bears, snakes, alligators, ghosts, high wind, cold, heat, humidity, rain, snow, frogs, hogs or dogs. I can lead the lame and blind safely from the most violent lightning storm or hurricane. I know how to change batteries in all high tech gadgetry the lower paid staff will be carrying for you. And OH MY GOD!!! I love movies and once considered offers from Robert Redford to replace Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. But my calling lay in the Wildness of Wilderness. When I sing, or play the French horn, birds come to sit on my shoulder and take note. There is little you will have to do other than create the finest documentary ever documented of the upper reaches of Maine's greatest treasures with my discounted assistance.

My wage requirements are very competitive and minimal. A very modest stipend of $3000, two deluxe pizzas, a half case of YuengLueng and a fifth...make that a 2 liter bottle of Jack Daniels (Black Label) is all I will require for this once in a lifetime discounted offer.

Upon receipt of afore-mentioned cash, gear (especially the GPS and cameras) and whiskey, I will begin our preparations for this most important project (dare I say Oscar!!!). As a sign of good faith and to show my sincerity, I have a acquired a personalized NC AT automobile tag and number. Further, the YuengLueng and pizza may be paid at the conclusion of the film's debut. Vegas would be the obvious venue to me, but you may have other ideas; Hollywood, New York....Gold's Gym.

Krewzer
02-21-2007, 15:01
As a follow up. I wish you good luck and I hope you come back from Maine with a better understanding of what the AT truly is and what it means to a large number of people.

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 16:01
but I also won't just fold from a little flaming.

Hmm, you sure?

waiting.....:rolleyes:

QHShowoman
02-21-2007, 16:51
Well, among other things, I think what is most misleading (and annoying) is that this person is asking for "donations," when really, what she is looking for is investors to fund her project.

I'd be interested to see what kind of market research and feasibility study was done to determine that there is a niche forthese kinds of videos. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to throw away their money -- and their investors' money -- on a project that isn't going to prove to be somewhat profitable. Or am I just being naive here?

Lilred
02-21-2007, 17:05
Sorry Rain Man, gotta disagree with you here. I don't care how up front this person was in their original post, asking for donations to fund the hike and make a profit off of it on Whiteblaze is just plain wrong. And for an exhorbant amount of donation I get first crack at buying her DVD. wow, but ummm, no thanks.

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 17:11
Well, among other things, I think what is most misleading (and annoying) is that this person is asking for "donations," when really, what she is looking for is investors to fund her project.

Not really. Investor implies you might get a return on your investment. Unless you consider a Tax breaks for advertising, A DVD and/or listing on the sponsor's page a return.
She's looking for Donors and sponsors.

The Weasel
02-21-2007, 20:32
Again, quit telling people how to think and/or act dude. You are a flame artist aren't you?

You look in the mirror lately?

The Weasel

jmcmichen
02-21-2007, 21:05
Thanks for the welcomes and encouragements by post and email. Also, thanks to all of you who "donated" your opinions - I appreciate them too. I get to check in on this thread about once a day at best but I'll keep posting as long as you guys do. And I particularly enjoyed your post Krewser, whether you intended it or not. :-)

Besides the dislike some of you have for the very idea of my original post, the other major point seems to be that this should go in the For Sale forum. If so I'll be happy to move it. As for your dislike of my post, well, as I said - I'm telling you about what I'm doing. You can support it, knock it or ignore it as you wish. I am in the process of gathering gear, cameras and $$ out of my own cash. I am seeking corporate sponsors and other avenues of funding which may or may not come through, so I'm not counting on them. If anyone is interested in helping me get started on the Trail faster, great. If not, that's fine. I'll get there anyway. Some people have donated. Many haven't. That's OK with me. I'm not twisting any arms, knocking on your door or calling to interrupt your dinner with a sales pitch. I have put information out there for you to read if you're interested in doing so. If you want this thread to disappear, simply stop posting to it and it will go away, right?

I have not hidden anything about who I am (not even a trail name), where I am, what I'm doing, or my motivations for doing them. The Federal Tax ID is just another way for people to be able to track what I'm doing and tag me if I do anything fraudulent. And, again, it tracks back to my own name not a faceless corporation.

Oh, and the Garmin is a "safety precaution" required by a potential sponsor - if they don't support the project the Garmin will be the first thing dropped from my gear list. I fully agree with you on that one.

Your flaming for the Rewards Ladder is probably well founded. I'll see if I can come up with a more ........ rewarding....... setup. The website is still a work in progress. As it often happens with a self-employed, service-oriented business, my own website is the last one I get to work on.

I think I've hit the high spots of the questions and comments since last time. I'll be back tomorrow to read what you have to say.

1Pint
02-21-2007, 21:11
I can cuss with the best of them, drink with the sorriest ...

He speaks the truth! I saw him doing just that at SoRuck! ;)

Hey Krewzer - thanks for the hearty laugh. Now do ya think we can get your post moved over to the Hooking Up thread or maybe Match.com, 'cause that was quite a sell job, dude. :D Way to go! I see many offers for a variety of gigs in your future.

Laura

The Weasel
02-21-2007, 21:13
Jane:

I think you miss the point here. It's not "flaming" - at least mostly it isn't I think - but a serious concern that about your third post on WB was to say, "Give me money," and to do it in a way that, probably contrary to how you intened it (will gladly grant you that), sounded very much like you were doing the entire AT community a fantastic favor. In short, you were/are doing something that is very unlike how many here feel is proper and in a way that appears very patronizing.

Perhaps you should start over. Don't make people feel like you're moneygrubbing, but like they are valued as friends and supporters rather than "marks" that you can "score." If you do that, you may find far more support for what you want to accomplish.

If that's the case, you may well find a welcome here for this; if it isn't, then you may want to rethink your idea or its presentation in WhiteBlaze.

The Weasael

norub
02-21-2007, 21:44
As for your dislike of my post, well, as I said - I'm telling you about what I'm doing.

She just doesn't get it.

Last month, Ronin made a error in judgement with his telesummit project, but as soon as he realized his misstep, he corrected it. His attitude was awesome, took his lumps and in my opinion will be a well-accepted, well-liked hiker when he hits the trail.

Jane, on the other hand, well, maybe not so much.

Mags
02-21-2007, 21:55
If that's the case, you may well find a welcome here for this; if it isn't, then you may want to rethink your idea or its presentation in WhiteBlaze.

Or:

"It's not what you say, it's how you say it"
-Joanne (better know as "Mom" to Joey, Steven and I)

(That's all that really needs to be read...the text below is just my needless babbling....)

I could not stand her saying that phrase growing up. Mainly because she was right. :)

Phrasing a proposal in a different way can make the difference between a warm reception, a pat on the back and support of a community where you are hoping to solicit resources (financial or otherwise).

Phrasing something in a, er..., different manner can get a slightly more vocal response. :)

Jane: Best of luck on your project. You may want to rethink how you approach people outside the corporate environment, though. Happy Trails!

The Weasel
02-21-2007, 22:08
She just doesn't get it.

Last month, Ronin made a error in judgement with his telesummit project, but as soon as he realized his misstep, he corrected it. His attitude was awesome, took his lumps and in my opinion will be a well-accepted, well-liked hiker when he hits the trail.

Jane, on the other hand, well, maybe not so much.

I think you have hit the nail on the head: Actually, I don't think Ronin made an error in judgment, or at least not a big one. But he did offend some people, and really showed some class by saying that he was going to change what he'd put together so that he gave no further offense. He didn't have to, either. But in doing so, he scored alot of points and, if he comes up with the same or a similar idea again, a lot of people will say, "Hey. This dude has some style. Let's compliment him and assist him."

That was a good thing.

The Weasel

ed bell
02-21-2007, 22:42
I think you have hit the nail on the head: Actually, I don't think Ronin made an error in judgment, or at least not a big one. But he did offend some people, and really showed some class by saying that he was going to change what he'd put together so that he gave no further offense. He didn't have to, either. But in doing so, he scored alot of points and, if he comes up with the same or a similar idea again, a lot of people will say, "Hey. This dude has some style. Let's compliment him and assist him."

That was a good thing.

The WeaselI think Ronin made a big error in judgement. I am satisfied with his reaction. Trying to set up a "thru-hiker" seminar in 3 months while charging between 175? and 200+ with no named participents seemed fishy at best. Thanks to the weasel, he has redirected his effort to educate prospective AT hikers by becoming a member here at WB. Good first step. I have no desire to donate to the current cause under debate. I doubt anyone does. Any attempt at financial gain using long distance AT hiking as a vehicle will be scrutinized here. No escaping that. That's part of what this board is for: discussion.

norub
02-21-2007, 23:21
Jane, you've obviously read the replies to your original post here. And seen how many times people have asked you why you think asking for "donations" to buy stuff for you so that you can make money off your DVD's is ok.

What is your answer to that specific question?

Krewzer
02-21-2007, 23:33
And I particularly enjoyed your post Krewser, whether you intended it or not. :-)

...so when can I expect the whiskey?

And, that would be KrewZer to the masses. Did I mention my comprehensive (sp?) spell checker and shadow puppet skills?

Krewzer
02-21-2007, 23:59
He speaks the truth! I saw him doing just that at SoRuck! ;)

Hey Krewzer - thanks for the hearty laugh. Now do ya think we can get your post moved over to the Hooking Up thread or maybe Match.com, 'cause that was quite a sell job, dude. :D Way to go! I see many offers for a variety of gigs in your future.

Laura

There is but one and only one living being in this entire solar system that could or would strike fear in this mighty heart and cause me to quake in that presence. That being would be known on Earth as the rare and beautiful, bright eyed, red haired, Krewzette in flaming display and displeasure with full command of my entire history upon finding the name "Krewzer" in the "hooking up" threads.
Brrrrrrrrr.......but thanks anyway. ;)

1Pint
02-22-2007, 08:45
Geez, Krewzer, but it was soooo well written!! Do you think The Great Krewzette would allow you to sell your BS skills - um, er, I mean your very accurate descriptive skills to the class of 2007 upon return to the work force? I could really use some help with my resume in about 8 months. ;)

Krewzer
02-22-2007, 10:02
Do you think The Great Krewzette would allow you to sell your BS skills - um, er, I mean your very accurate descriptive skills to the class of 2007 upon return to the work force? I could really use some help with my resume in about 8 months. ;)

Consider it done......at a discount.
Ahhh, but the Class of O7 will need no such help, they are the chosen ones. Unlike some, they have asked only for love, luck and laughter and to reach the summit of Katahdin in the end and say, "WOW!!!"

bcnu

Boat Drinks
02-22-2007, 10:06
You look in the mirror lately?

The Weasel
That's not a denial.
example please?

And typical, turning it around to focus on someone else, (me). Remember Weas, I grew up with Counselors. ;)

1Pint
02-22-2007, 10:18
have asked only for love, luck and laughter and to reach the summit of Katahdin in the end and say, "WOW!!!"

:sun A hike of love, luck and laughter... now that sounds beyond perfect. :sun

Wishing the same to all,
Laura

Smile
02-22-2007, 11:17
If you guys think it's OK for this gal to use WB to ask for money to fund her project, then just send her some! The advertisement has been made - to each their own.

The Admin of this site do a great job of handling things here IMHO. If there weren't a difference of opinion on so many things, we wouldn't be drawn back here so much to see who-said-what-back to whom :)

Ronin
02-22-2007, 11:48
Last month, Ronin made a error in judgement with his telesummit project, but as soon as he realized his misstep, he corrected it. His attitude was awesome...

I think you have hit the nail on the head: Ronin...did offend some people, and really showed some class by saying that he was going to change what he'd put together so that he gave no further offense. The Weasel

Thanks to the weasel, Ronin has redirected his effort to educate prospective AT hikers by becoming a member here at WB. Good first step.

Thanks guys! I definitely took to heart everyone's opinion and wanted to make, what I thought, was the best change of course midstream. It seems that the ability to do that is a requirement of thru-hiking.

However, if you'd like to PM me, I'll send you my bank account and routing #'s so you may send donations directly by transfer. Nothing under $300 please. :D

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2007, 13:20
The Admin of this site do a great job of handling things here IMHO. If there weren't a difference of opinion on so many things, we wouldn't be drawn back here so much to see who-said-what-back to whom :)

Kind of what makes it a DISCUSSION board. Get rid of opposing opinions and there isn't much to discuss.

norub
02-22-2007, 14:41
Just FYI in case there are problems accessing the website in question, here is the text from the "donor/sponsor" page:

Sponsorship and/or Donations

Why do we need your help?
This project, due to its lengthy nature and specific gear requirements, will need help from a wide variety of businesses and everyday people. Every donation and every sponsor helps us achieve our goal. We greatly appreciate the donations that have already come in, and we look forward to those on the way.

How do I know you're legitimate?
We are going to great lengths to assure potential Sponsors and Donors that we are above-board. We recently acquired a Federal Tax ID number to help reinforce our sincerity, and we will provide a complete online record of all funds and gear received and used. Sponsors and Donors will have password protected access to this full-disclosure web page. We are providing our business address and the videographer's resume so that you have a face and a name to associate with FiAT project. Please email or snail mail any questions you may have and we will answer them as soon as possible. Remember to include a SASE with any snail mail so we can reply even faster! If you have any suggestions for further steps we can take to reassure potential supporters, please don't hesitate to send them along.

What will you get out of it?
Some people have asked what they will get out of donating gear or funds, or sponsoring a whole section of the project completely. Besides the obvious answer of helping us accomplish something that has rarely ever been done, there are other benefits outlined below.

Business owners should find that donations are tax deductible as an advertising expense. All donors and sponsors will be recognized on the View Donations web page, the project-related printed DVD inserts, on the DVD credits, and in all books which may arise from the project, separated into calendar years to make multiple donations easily recognizable. Also, the business name and/or logo of all businesses who donate $500 or more in funds or gear, or specifically crucial gear regardless of the retail value, will be worn on the videographer's gear and/or person during the project. That means on the Trail and at populated stop-overs. There's nothing like the sight of video cameras to start a conversation or bring up questions! Sponsors and Donors will also be able to log in to view recent video clips of the project as it goes along. This feature will not be available to the general public.

Personal donations by individuals or organizations will have a "rewards ladder" available to show our appreciation. All donations will be recognized on the View Donations web page. Those who donate $25.00 - $49.99 will have the right to pre-purchase the first DVDs before they go on the retail market. Those who donate $50.00 - $99.99 can pre-purchase one of the first DVDs at half price. Those who donate $100.00 - $249.99 will receive a free copy of the first DVD of their choice. Donations of $250.00 - $499.99 will garner the donor two free DVDs of their choice from the first run and a listing in the Sponsors section for the Project 2007. We are looking into the possibility of offering commemorative T-shirts to those who make personal donations in this category as well. Personal donations of $500 or more will entitle the donor to have their name, or the organization's name, displayed on the person or gear of the videographer just like the business donors outlined above. Of course, all personal donations will also be recognized on the printed DVD inserts, the DVD credits, and in all books which arise from the project, separated by calendar year to make multiple donations easily recognizable. Sponsors and Donors will also be able to log in to view recent video clips of the project as it goes along. This feature will not be available to the general public.

Will I know how the money is spent, or the gear used?
All financial information for the project will be available on this website via the View Donations page to every Sponsor and Donor, with full disclosure of funds and equipment received and used. Sponsors and Donors will also be able to log in to view recent video clips of the project as it goes along. This feature will not be available to the general public.

I have other questions before I donate. What do I do?
Specific questions can be emailed for a prompt response.

Otherwise feel free to:

Via PayPal - fast, free and secure. You can even use your credit card!
Mail a donation Checks or Money Orders may be sent via
return receipt (for tracking purposes please) to:

Filming the AT
c/o DownEast Webs
PO Box 57
Jonesport, Me

Be sure to include a SASE to receive your validation for any benefits to which your donation entitles you, as well as your login information for the View Donations web page! DO NOT SEND CASH!

In Maine, direct deposits may be made to the Filming the Appalachian Trail business account at any branch of The Bangor Savings Bank.
Just ask for the account by name
Make a deposit
Ask for your transaction number
Send that number via email or snail mail (with SASE) so we can provide you with your login for the View Donations Page and with any benefits to which your donation entitles you.

:-?

QHShowoman
02-22-2007, 15:17
So, in addition to making a donation, I also need to supply the filmmakers with a self-addressed stamped envelope to get my "rewards"? If I donate a $600 camcorder, the least I'd expect is for you to shell out the 60 cents it's going to cost to mail me my free DVD.

Pft.

max patch
02-22-2007, 17:18
I have already expressed my comments about your business venure. Won't repeat them.

I watched the sample video you have and, to be honest, it does NOTHING to encourage someone to contribute to your venture. Its actually counter-productive.

Why don't you have a sample of the trail shot with the 2 cameras so people can see what you are trying to accomplish? The same shot of the ocean placed side by side is worthless.

QHShowoman
02-22-2007, 17:29
I just watched the video, too. I don't get it. Are you stuck with the border down the center, because it is distracting? This reminds me of the old fashioned stereoscope. There surely must be a more technologicallly sophisticated means of accomplishing what you are trying to do -- like some super-duper wide lens or something?

The Weasel
02-22-2007, 18:19
Jane:

Everything involves law, sooner or later. Perhaps a very specific problem I don't think you've considered will help further explain to you why the "send me money so I can make this cool business idea work" tone is rubbing some the wrong way:

Perhaps you know this, but I don't see anything in your budget for "rights and clearances" or for "site fees." You're doing commercial filming/video, and unlike taking snapshots or home videos, which are personal in character, you're taking images for financial gain. When that is done on private property, you generally need the permission of the property owner, and that usually includes public property, as well, where you need the permission of the governmental body. While you may not end up paying the same fees that Paramount has to front, you probably do need to get a clearance (and there may well be a fee) from, for instance, Baxter State Park and other owners of the trail south. Maine has a film office, which I easily found on the 'net. They can help advise you on some of that.

Similarly, I assume you will be taking pictures not just of trees and rocks, but people. When you do that, you may well need photographic releases signed by people, and some people may object and others may wish to be paid. In some instances you may not need permission, but just because Roger Moore shows pictures of people who may not be happy about being in them, please don't assume that he hasn't checked it out "with Legal" real, real careful. I am sure you can find an attorney easily in your community who can give you more info; the Maine Film Office may know people with the expertise to be accurate, and most attorneys do not charge a fee for a short introductory meeting for you to find out if these are things you need to be concerned about.

Yes, to those who say, "Ahh, just do it," yes, you may be able to and get away with it. People shoplift and get away with it, too. But your site says you're going to be fully legal and aboveboard, so if you are, well, welcome to the motion picture industry.

By the way. What you're asking for is what producers sell. Not even Max Bialystock tried to get money from his "angels" without giving them, as it were, a piece of the action. By that, of course, I mean a percentage.

So if you're going to do this, stop it with the "donations" thingy.

The Weasel

The Weasel
02-22-2007, 18:20
So, in addition to making a donation, I also need to supply the filmmakers with a self-addressed stamped envelope to get my "rewards"? If I donate a $600 camcorder, the least I'd expect is for you to shell out the 60 cents it's going to cost to mail me my free DVD.

Pft.

Yeah, but the cheese is free.

The Weasel

2XL
02-22-2007, 19:30
Jane:

In some instances you may not need permission, but just because Roger Moore shows pictures of people who may not be happy about being in them, please don't assume that he hasn't checked it out "with Legal" real, real careful. By the way. What you're asking for is what producers sell. Not even Max Bialystock tried to get money from his "angels" without giving them, as it were, a piece of the action. By that, of course, I mean a percentage.

The Weasel

You must mean Michael Moore, I don't think Agent 007 would do that.

Hikerhead
02-22-2007, 19:37
Anything that has the words "AT Project" in it's description turns me off right from the start.

Have we forgotten?....This couldn't be the same bunch coming back again....naa couldn't be.

Sly
02-22-2007, 19:46
I just watched the video, too. I don't get it. Are you stuck with the border down the center, because it is distracting? This reminds me of the old fashioned stereoscope. There surely must be a more technologicallly sophisticated means of accomplishing what you are trying to do -- like some super-duper wide lens or something?

Isn't there something in the description that says you have yo use your imagination?

While filming in tandem on tripods of a lake shore may look OK (however, it's probably the same camera in the example), I can't imagine how well it will work with two cameras fixed to a rig hiking the trail.

QHShowoman
02-22-2007, 20:19
Isn't there something in the description that says you have yo use your imagination?

Yeah, but why not just say "Here, look at this blank page and imagine its the best video of the Appalachian Trail you've ever seen. Now send me your money."?

My imagination isn't that good, I guess.

jmcmichen
02-22-2007, 22:15
Hello again everybody. Yes, I probably have mistaken what was meant as blunt and constructive criticism as flaming. I'm fairly new to posting in discussion forums, therefore not used to responses. I do apologize if I've seemed stiff-necked because of that.

Direct answer to the question of why I thought/think it's OK to ask for support/donations/handouts or whatever you want to call it here: Every time I tell someone about the project (in person, via email, or in the occasional post - and yes I mean hikers too) they almost always ask if I've a.) put up a website and b.) posted on major hiking forums to let a lot of people know what I'm doing. Believe it or not, quite a few people have asked how they could help me get going sooner because they are interested in the DVDs when they come out.

I read a lot on WB, and the threads pretty much seemed straightforward, tough-minded, knowledgeable, dedicated and very active. By posting here I'm getting an awful lot of feedback - good and bad - about the strengths and weaknesses of my ideas. I didn't think I was violating the user agreement, but have come to understand the "spirit" of the agreement on WB even more clearly from your posts. I did not mean to give offense and appologize for doing so. I believe in my project, obviously, and am trying to learn how to let anyone else who feels the same know, in an inoffensive way, how to contribute.

I'm also taking a long, hard look at how to better "reward" people who do support the project thanks to your suggestions. BTW, the SASE is aimed at people who give $5 - $10 i.e. the majority so far.

Weasel, I have spoken with several of the Maine offices regarding filming rights. Every one of them tells me that unless I'm in a National Park in Maine I don't need specific permissions. I'll provide names and contact info if you want to verify my statements. I'll have to look for info on any personal property that the Trail crosses. I'm in the process of finding out about any restrictions in the next few states before I get there. I plan on blurring the faces of people that may end up in the final edit of the films. Yes, I had thought of the 'consent' can of worms. Any other suggestions welcome.

The website is aimed at giving info to the less-knowledgeable-about-hiking public and at potential corporate sponsors. It's pretty obvious, and I had hoped you guys would take the PR hype with a grain of salt. Perhaps I should have stated that up front in the first post to dispel any misunderstandings? And perhaps I should have used another word than 'donations'? What, if any, word would cause less heartburn?

Anyway, I haven't expected anyone to drop what they are doing to send me anything. If you liked the idea, I gave you ways to help me out. If you didn't like the idea, I figured you would laugh it off and go read another thread. I'm here to stay in the hiking community, so if you guys continue to educate me about the ways of the forum that would be great.

I'm working late tomorrow, so may or may not make it here. I'll definitely be back Saturday, though.

Skidsteer
02-22-2007, 22:23
I plan on blurring the faces of people that may end up in the final edit of the films.

Cool!

'Hikers gone wild'!

norub
02-22-2007, 23:06
Direct answer to the question of why I thought/think it's OK to ask for support/donations/handouts or whatever you want to call it here: Every time I tell someone about the project (in person, via email, or in the occasional post - and yes I mean hikers too) they almost always ask if I've a.) put up a website and b.) posted on major hiking forums to let a lot of people know what I'm doing. Believe it or not, quite a few people have asked how they could help me get going sooner because they are interested in the DVDs when they come out.

That still doesn't explain why you think asking others to buy you a ton of expensive gear so that you can exploit the AT for money is ok.

Sly
02-22-2007, 23:14
I plan on blurring the faces of people that may end up in the final edit of the films. Yes, I had thought of the 'consent' can of worms. Any other suggestions welcome.

I don't think you want to do that, I know for myself I wouldn't enjoy blurred faces at all. You may want to email Squatch. He's done three DVD's of the PCT which are very popular and if I'm not mistaken does the consent form.

http://www.walkpct.com/

jesse
02-22-2007, 23:16
jmcmichen,
What you are doing is electronic panhandling. You are asking strangers to give you money. The money they give is not an investment, not a donation, not a loan. This is, simply put, bad social behavior. I think you owe WB an apology. You should also re-think how you are going to finance your project, so as to do it in a more acceptable manner.
good luck

Wanderingson
02-23-2007, 01:29
Hey Folks,

Here is where I see Jane failed to real folks in on her approach.

Consider this:

1. If Jane was planning her hike for over a year, perhaps she could have joined the WB communitty and participated in some of the discussions and asked a lot of valid questions.

2. As I continue to travel around the world, I have found that any business transaction should only be conducted after some sort of relationship is established. It all boils down to relationship management.

3. Although, I have not contributed significantly to this forum, I too have read a lot. I have learned to buch of cool stuff from the folks of this community. I just have not contributed to this community as much as I would have desired to.

4. I am still a few years away from my thru, but as time gets closer, you can bet that I will become extremely active with this community. I will develop some of those bonds and every active member of this community will know who I am. Each of you will have some type of opinion of me and where I am coming from. Yes, those of you who are still around will develop some type of relationship with me.

5. A key point to developing these types of relationships goes a long way. Attending some of the get togethers certainly doesn't hurt.

6. Any successful business person knows that it is all about the sales pitch. After the initial relationship is built, the sales pitch is often easier to deliver. I would have to agree with everyone who has stated that she came into the communty and asked immediately for a handout being wrong.

7. Let's say one of the active member of this community started planing the seed by asking advise about video cameras and other subjects about the trail. Let's say that same person developed a lot of support from some of the key players in this community. Let's say this same person began to plant the seed about resources and lack of finances, let's say this same person then came on line and said they were going to set up a webpage to help them finance their trip. Let's coninue to say that they asked everyone's advise on creative ways to raise money for their through.

8. I would venture to say that once a solid relationship was established, she would have been succesful in gaining support from at least a few memebers of the community.

9. Jane, I certainly hope you find the resources to hike your own hike, but in the future, look at your business approach. After you learn the fine art of relationship management, I'm sure your business practices will improve.

The Weasel
02-23-2007, 10:25
That still doesn't explain why you think asking others to buy you a ton of expensive gear so that you can exploit the AT for money is ok.

jmcmichen,
What you are doing is electronic panhandling. You are asking strangers to give you money. The money they give is not an investment, not a donation, not a loan. This is, simply put, bad social behavior. I think you owe WB an apology. You should also re-think how you are going to finance your project, so as to do it in a more acceptable manner.
good luck

Hey Folks,

After you learn the fine art of relationship management, I'm sure your business practices will improve.

Jane, you just aren't reading what people are saying here. You really aren't.

My point on the Film Office and on photo releases wasn't that they are a pain, but that you are a commercial enterprise. You're out to make a buck. That's great. That's why most of us have day jobs. But you're out to make money on this.

But in doing so, most of us in the capitalist model do that by investment, either from "capital" (that's why they call it that) that is in cash form or from "sweat capital". Most of us get the cash from either savings or from loans. You want it from begging.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but that's what you're doing. "Yogi-ing" is a time honored trail tradition of sort of wandering up to Mom and Pop and the picnic table, telling a few hiking stories, and smiling at their lunch until they offer some. Think Yogi Bear. That's OK.

But you keep getting asked, "Why should you be allowed to come here and beg?" and you don't respond, and your "business model" seems to be based on that. As a business owner, I don't even see any "advertising" value on a "sponsorship" to you. You're going to slap a decal on your forehead?

I think it's a fair question NoRub asks, and Jesse is right. I hope you either answer the question, or tell us that you're changing what you are doing.

The Weasel

Wanderingson
02-23-2007, 11:14
I plan on blurring the faces of people that may end up in the final edit of the films.

I wish a few more people would adopt this plan. At least that way I wouldn't have to wear one of these GPS ankle bracelts.

jmcmichen
02-24-2007, 14:17
Thanks for the links and info about other filmers, consent forms, WB members interested in helping do some of the technical stuff and also for the lessons about proper forum etiquette and membership. I am reading everything as fast as I can and visiting the links many of you are sending and responding to offers of assistance and so on. Thanks for your patience.

After Wanderingson's post I think I understand your question more, Weasel and others, about why I think I can "panhandle" here. It's as much about my earned place in the community as it is about what I'm doing, right? You guys don't know me and I haven't introduced myself well in that regard. Am I getting it a little better now? As I said earlier - not meant as an excuse, just a fact - I'm fairly new to discussion forums, very new to posting. I can see now that my lack of previous participation in the community can really make me seem like a shyster, regardless of my integrity. For that I do deeply apologize and will withdraw the thread if someone will tell me how to do it. I spent until last December researching gear, trail info, etc on the Internet and by talking to local hikers but only found out then (Dec) what a boon these forums could be. I would rather withdraw my post and look to become a better part of the community than lose the info and opinions that I can find here. Yes, I will always believe in my project, but I don't want to burn bridges over it.

I am financing the project myself and through some of the other methods listed in these posts, and I will continue to do so. In the end I truly don't rely on anyone but myself to make this thing happen, although others are helping along the way. And it might be a good idea to put up a hiker-friendly info website instead of directing everyone to the PR site. Thank you, everyone, for your time and suggestions. If you really do want to know more about things like how the camera stabilizers will make the video look, why I use FrontPage for editing and all of the other questions and criticisms posted here - send me an email. [email protected] I'll answer every question to the best of my ability. Oh, and I don't know anyone else who's tried to produce film, photos, etc of the Trail, so I'm not affiliated with anyone else - past or present (excepting, of course, those WB members currently offering to help).

Are there any WB get-togethers in Maine or the Northeast? Most of the planet seems to forget that Maine is part of the US - even the weather forecasters always have their head in front of Maine. :-) The get-together info is probably posted here somewhere. <pausing to open another window and look> nope, don't see anything close by or soon. Any unofficial ones out there?

I'll check back soon as I can.

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2007, 14:59
...After Wanderingson's post I think I understand your question more, Weasel and others, about why I think I can "panhandle" here. It's as much about my earned place in the community as it is about what I'm doing, right? You guys don't know me and I haven't introduced myself well in that regard. Am I getting it a little better now? I can see now that my lack of previous participation in the community can really make me seem like a shyster, regardless of my integrity...

You could be here on WB for five years with 5000 posts and I doubt the reaction would be any different. The facts are that you are an adult businessperson seeking venture capital without offering a stake in the business venture's profits. Just because your venture is about the AT and hiking does not change those underlying facts, nor do I think it will change most peoples negative reaction. No one ever earns a right to ask for money to finance a venture that benefits only themselves personally, even in closer-knit real life relationships there is always a profit incentive for investors. If you were donating all procedes to a charity, there might be some more acceptance, but even then not as much as you might expect. Most people would prefer to simply donate money to a charity directly without the risk of an intervening business venture. Regardless of how long you hang around WB, I doubt many will ever see this as anything more than outright panhandling to obtain some nice backpacking equipment and camera gear for free.

norub
02-24-2007, 18:23
And she STILL doesn't explain why she thinks its okay to ask others to buy her a ton of expensive gear so that she can exploit the AT for money.

At this point, it's obvious that she is dodging the question. I'm not gonna bother asking again.:rolleyes:

jesse
02-24-2007, 18:25
If I had your dream, and only needed $3K, I would do everything in my power to finance it myself, even if it meant postponing the venture a year or more. Remember, the AT will still be there.

If you do get outside financing, I would not go to more than one source, because the amount needed is just too small to need multiple partners.

I think, taking on a partner, or getting a loan could turn out to be a nightmare. It could put a strain on your relationship, assuming the money comes from a close friend or relative. People are funny when it comes to money. $3k is just too small an amount to jepordize a relationship over.

Anyway I hope I have not been to harsh, and I hope your dream becomes reality.

Smile
02-24-2007, 18:55
Get a second job, save the money for a year.

Overpass
02-24-2007, 19:50
Building a deck off our back porch has been a difficult task in the past due to the cost of materials and lack of volunteers. With the development of internet forums such as these, such a project has become feasible.

The primary focus of our project during its inception in the summer of 2007 is to build the entire deck from post holes through to the final deckstaining.

Our plan is to use two people on the job at all times, occasionally three, with low or no impact portajohns onsite. One person will nail the boards and the others will support them. Each will have a hammer weight of approximately 2 pounds, and most stages of the project will be completed in a three or four day period. Segments may be combined with only a break for beer if the beerstore is open.

This style of building will continue as funding, weather, beer supplies and scheduling allows until the full span of the deck has been built. Although our focus area for next summer only extends through digging the post holes and hanging the joists, we hope to complete the entire deck before next winter.

Once the deck has been completed, people will be able to gaze at our project from the property line or roadside. This will illustrate how proper construction and optimum use of a deck can enrich the lives of those who build them, as well as those who live near decks or can only visit them occasionally. Also, people with disabilities who can’t get their wheelchairs up the steps of a deck would be able to experience views of our deck which may be unavailable to them otherwise.

Our primary goal at the moment is to raise $3,000 in funds, lumber or tools before June 2007. We need your help! Please consider giving at least a small donation to help us kick-start the Project.

We have been researching and planning this project for over a year. Now it's time to get moving. This site is dedicated to answering the questions you may have regarding the Project, inspire your participation, and assure your satisfaction when all is said and done.

Ronin
02-24-2007, 20:11
Segments may be combined with only a break for beer if the beerstore is open.

This style of building will continue as funding, weather, beer supplies and scheduling allows until the full span of the deck has been built.

Our primary goal at the moment is to raise $3,000 in funds, lumber or tools before June 2007. We need your help! Please consider giving at least a small donation to help us kick-start the Project.

How do I know my donation will go towards purchasing, good, high-quality beer? :-?

split.arrow
02-24-2007, 20:17
PLEASE don't get in the way of other people hiking. If I run into you and you're making a ruckus or holding anything up I will RUN into you. Better yet, stay off the trail. Seems everyone one this thread agrees. Bad start to your hike:(

Lone Wolf
02-24-2007, 20:58
PLEASE don't get in the way of other people hiking. If I run into you and you're making a ruckus or holding anything up I will RUN into you. Better yet, stay off the trail. Seems everyone one this thread agrees. Bad start to your hike:(

he don't speak for me jane, you're welcome on the trail.

Overpass
02-24-2007, 21:26
How do I know my donation will go towards purchasing, good, high-quality beer? :-?

Because there will be a rewards ladder!

Personal donations by individuals or organizations will have a "rewards ladder" available to show our appreciation. All donations will be recognized on the View Donations web page. Those who donate $25.00 - $49.99 will have the right to pre-purchase tickets to view the new deck. Those who donate $50.00 - $99.99 can pre-purchase one of the viewing tickets at half price. Those who donate $100.00 - $249.99 will receive a free ticket to view the deck. Donations of $250.00 - $499.99 will garner the donor two free tickets to view the deck and a listing in the Sponsors section for the Project 2007. We are looking into the possibility of offering commemorative T-shirts to those who make personal donations in this category as well. Personal donations of $500 or more will entitle the donor to have their name, or the organization's name, displayed on a deck joist.

Sponsors and Donors will also be able to log in to view recent video clips of the project as it goes along. This feature will not be available to the general public.

freefall
02-24-2007, 22:45

A bit too broad a generalization there. Not EVERYONE feels that way, just read LW's post.

he don't speak for me jane, you're welcome on the trail.

Obsidian
02-24-2007, 23:58
I've worked as a clearance coordinator for the discovery channel and I'd be happy to lend my services at a discounted day rate of $200 a day plus expenses...

Honestly don't skimp on clearances it'll cost you more in the long run.
Make sure to clear any brand recognition on gear and so forth and anyone's property be it government or personal. Every person even if they're just barely noticeable in the distance! Don't skimp on the lawyer and have detailed contracts for everyone to sign. Also be prepared with some cash flow because in my experience everyone expects some sort of compensation when they say the official apperance/location release coming out...

Overpass
02-25-2007, 00:44

We are going to great lengths to assure potential Sponsors and Donors that we are above-board. We have recently actually acquired a Social Security ID number to help reinforce our sincerity, and we will provide a complete online record of all funds and lumber/tools received and used. Sponsors and Donors will have password protected access to this full-disclosure web page. We are providing our home address and also Home Depot's address so that you have a face and a name to associate with D3cK Project. Please email or snail mail any questions you may have and we will answer them as soon as possible. Remember to include a SASE with any snail mail so we can reply even faster! If you have any suggestions for further steps we can take to reassure potential supporters, please don't hesitate to send them along.

buckowens
02-25-2007, 10:51
When I first read Jane's post I too cringed like some here. It was in a similar vane to the African (it won't let me write the country name cause it has a bad word in it) business faxes (if you're older) and now emails, but there was no opportunity for the person who donates to make money. Having been an L.E.O. and investigated such cases, I am very cautious in who I give money to.

As some have pointed out, I believe the key here is in the approach. It would appear that Jane realizes this, and will adjust fire accordingly. Welcome to you, and know that any reference to subterfuge or anything bad was not directed at you, for I do not have enough material to make that call. As you mentioned your unfamiliarity with a discussion board, you should know that some people can be completely different than they really are, or a completely new entity entirely. Some, like me are just plain old what you see is what you get. But only I really know that for sure until some WB'er meets me somewhere...

I have a personal motto that has served me well "Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see :D .

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2007, 11:05
*****ia has a bad word in it?

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2007, 11:06
*****ia has a bad word in it?

LOL, the auto-censor can't even spell.:rolleyes: Figures

Boat Drinks
02-25-2007, 14:37
Building a deck off our back porch has been a difficult task in the past due to the cost of materials and lack of volunteers. With the development of internet forums such as these, such a project has become feasible.

The primary focus of our project during its inception in the summer of 2007 is to build the entire deck from post holes through to the final deckstaining.

Our plan is to use two people on the job at all times, occasionally three, with low or no impact portajohns onsite. One person will nail the boards and the others will support them. Each will have a hammer weight of approximately 2 pounds, and most stages of the project will be completed in a three or four day period. Segments may be combined with only a break for beer if the beerstore is open.

This style of building will continue as funding, weather, beer supplies and scheduling allows until the full span of the deck has been built. Although our focus area for next summer only extends through digging the post holes and hanging the joists, we hope to complete the entire deck before next winter.

Once the deck has been completed, people will be able to gaze at our project from the property line or roadside. This will illustrate how proper construction and optimum use of a deck can enrich the lives of those who build them, as well as those who live near decks or can only visit them occasionally. Also, people with disabilities who can’t get their wheelchairs up the steps of a deck would be able to experience views of our deck which may be unavailable to them otherwise.

We have been researching and planning this project for over a year. Now it's time to get moving. This site is dedicated to answering the questions you may have regarding the Project, inspire your participation, and assure your satisfaction when all is said and done.

I don't care who you are, that there's funny.

Do you take PayPal?

jmcmichen
02-25-2007, 19:32
That was funny, Overpass, and yes I deserve the spoofs. Thanks for the advice, offers of assistance, and encouragement.

Norub, I'm not dodging the question. In fact I have answered it several times. Maybe it's not enough for you, but the truth is all I can give. Here it is again - many people (hikers and others) have offered to help me by giving money to me for my project. They also suggested that I post on WB so a lot more people would be aware of what I'm doing. A few here might have been interested in helping me as well. Whether they are or not is fine with me either way - I'll get my own cash together and work with a sponsor who comes along and thinks the project is a good one. I have taken a small part-time job just for $$ specifically for the project. Just for the record, I'm not trying to toot my horn any more here - just answering Norub.

You may be right JesseBrent(?) about the brands, etc, and I will look into that further. Would that be taken into account during video editing? Seems like a likely place? Or is there more to consider while filming?

BTW, I'm still very open to questions and advice but - again, and bluntly - will not be seeking anything else from Wbers.

The Weasel
02-25-2007, 20:33
Jane, I won't push it further, and probably most won't either. I feel very, very sad that you don't understand what a lot of people who might well otherwise think your "project " a one are saying. The reaction here has nothing to do with you being a 'newbie', and it doesn't have anything to do with the value of your idea. It has nothing to do with being subservient, or humble, or how much you are spending or any similar things. And I feel bad - I really do, and I think others do as well - that you don't see where you have seriously, almost tragically, misstepped.

I hope, before you go much further, that you see where you could have done things differently, and perhaps still can, to both achieve your goal and to do so with the support of people here.

If not, I wish you well, and hope you will one day know why.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
02-25-2007, 20:47
And I feel bad - I really do, and I think others do as well - that you don't see where you have seriously, almost tragically, misstepped.

i don't feel bad at all. you either give her a few bucks or not. move on. you're obsessing weasy. you go jane.:sun

rickb
02-25-2007, 20:58
No worse than thrus begging food and freebies for 2000 miles.

Or feeling slighted when they are asked to pay for services provided by the AMC.

norub
02-25-2007, 21:02
Jane, ...you don't see where you have seriously, almost tragically, misstepped.

Well said, Weasel.

jmcmichen
03-01-2007, 23:19
Thanks everyone. I'm going to spend my time reading other posts but just wanted to cap this one off with a thank you. I guess I'll have to learn some things for myself, but appreciate all the replies.

TOW
03-02-2007, 15:09
Oh, we don't get to look at who has donated to you until we have donated to you? Sounds like a scam to me...................

TOW
03-04-2007, 13:16
I have been in contact with this lady that is doing this project and I think she is just xactly who she say she is and is genuine in her effort. Heck fire! She made Maine Today and I suppose there will be other articles as well!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22289

norub
03-04-2007, 14:50
I have been in contact with this lady that is doing this project and I think she is just xactly who she say she is and is genuine in her effort. Heck fire! She made Maine Today and I suppose there will be other articles as well!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22289What, did someone hack into your account? Yesterday you're calling her a scammer, today you are singing her praises?

Quotes from the article:

"Any time the AT gets publicity, it's a double-edged sword for us," said J.T. Horn, the New England director of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy..."

Overuse in popular areas is not a danger McMichen considered. "I suppose that's possible. If some areas were readily accessible, they could be inundated, you could say," McMichen said.

The trail doesn't need her "help".

Smile
03-04-2007, 15:50
How did the lady get to Maine today and also be posting on here? Confused.

ed bell
03-04-2007, 15:53
How did the lady get to Maine today and also be posting on here? Confused.I think he meant that she was featured in the publication "Maine Today".

Smile
03-04-2007, 17:51
Ok, cool, thanks Ed!

TOW
03-05-2007, 12:44
What, did someone hack into your account? Yesterday you're calling her a scammer, today you are singing her praises?

I have the right to change my mind pal, and I did...........If this is her passion, then what is it going to hurt for her to do it with or without your help?

weary
03-05-2007, 13:27
I don't get it. A lot of members here are scrimping and saving, working second and third jobs, etc to save for their own thruhikes. Meanwhile Jane wants us to buy her a boatload of overpriced ultralight gear and gadgets so she can make and sell a DVD about her doing a little section-hike of a tiny portion of AT?:-?
All my surplus money these days goes towards protecting the High Peaks region of the Western Maine mountains, through which the Appalachian Trail runs. We've already bought one summit and the slopes of another.

The Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust has identified 600,000 acres of critically important land between the Bigelow Preserve and Stratton and Route 4 and Rangeley. Some isn't for sale and won't be. But much is on the market and available.

I know. We dream big in Maine. Anyway. If anyone wants to help, or just learn more, open:

www.matlt.org

Weary

Lion King
03-07-2007, 01:26
okay..at first I was "LOLOLOLOL" right from the get go, but heres what Ill offer...

I did my film for about $5000, icluding gear.

I got on the phone with gear companies and sold them on the idea and they (Jansport, Columbia,Campmor, Leki,MSR, Clifbar, Backpacker mag, etc...) sent me gear to use for the hike...that was more successful on my PCT hike this year because of the success of WALKING WITH FREEDOM--released in 2005.

You have to know most hikers (me included)have no money...we save to hike, and thats about the truth.

I gave DVDS to people who did anything(not for big money)..and I wish I had someone giving me 40-500 to make this film...that would have been sweet.

If you are going to make a film, do it,THEN offer it up for sale.

If it means something to you, give up things until you get it made, sale your car, your children whatever...if you want it, just do it.

Start it and providence willpull it together

GoodLuck

Downunda
03-07-2007, 02:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewzer
"I can cuss with the best of them, drink with the sorriest ..."

In 2000, If I remember correctly Krewzer was awarded "Blue Ribbon, Grand Champion AT Snorer. Best regards, Downunda.

Krewzer
03-07-2007, 10:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewzer
"I can cuss with the best of them, drink with the sorriest ..."

In 2000, If I remember correctly Krewzer was awarded "Blue Ribbon, Grand Champion AT Snorer. Best regards, Downunda.

.........it's a gift.

(Hey old friend, how's they weather down there. Look for PM.)

TIDE-HSV
03-11-2007, 01:02
a bunch of batteries trying to drown you out, sleeping with my headphones on. These guys would never believe it, but you were worse 25 years ago...

Rain Man
03-19-2007, 14:52
As I said in my post, if the idea of the request offends you then please don't waste your time reading more. Rain Man, thank you for the kind words - yes, I'm just trying to be straighforward. Thank you, others whom I won't name since you didn't post, for the emails of support.....

Dear jmcmichen,

I'm reading "Scraping Heaven," by Cindy Ross, an AT thru-hiker. The book is about her family hiking the Colorado Trail, using llamas provided by local llama ranchers, not to mention lots of other donations, transportation, lodging, meals, and pre-arranged support all along the way. I recommend the book. (I got it cheap and hardback from alibris.com.) Take note, the trip was taken with the understanding and intent of writing the book, thus it was a "profit making" enterprise as many would see it.

Her reports of support contrast sharply with many of the posts in this thread, so maybe it might lend a little inspiration about what the nature of man can be, and it can be most open and generous. I really appreciate how gracious you've conducted yourself.

Sly
03-19-2007, 14:56
I'm reading "Scraping Heaven," by Cindy Ross, an AT thru-hiker. The book is about her family hiking the Colorado Trail, using llamas ........

Ah, add 2200 miles. That was about their hike/bike of the Continental Divide Trail. :)