PDA

View Full Version : Rangers in GSNP?

vaporjourney
02-16-2007, 11:27
I'm aware that you aren't supposed to pitch a tent while on the AT in GSNP. I'm a pretty rough sleeper, and really do prefer the privacy of my tarptent. Even though you're not supposed to camp in a tent unless a shelter is full, do you ever really see Rangers along the trail to enforce it? I've only seen 2 rangers in my 10 visits to the park, but I haven't hiked along the AT all that much. This is where being a hammock user would come in handy, so I wouldn't have to find flat land, and could easily find a stealthy spot to camp.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2007, 11:49
I'm aware that you aren't supposed to pitch a tent while on the AT in GSNP. I'm a pretty rough sleeper, and really do prefer the privacy of my tarptent. Even though you're not supposed to camp in a tent unless a shelter is full, do you ever really see Rangers along the trail to enforce it? I've only seen 2 rangers in my 10 visits to the park, but I haven't hiked along the AT all that much. This is where being a hammock user would come in handy, so I wouldn't have to find flat land, and could easily find a stealthy spot to camp.

the only rangers i've seen in 20 years actually on the trail were the guys shooting wild boar. one year at russell field shelter i had my tent up. there was plenty of shelter space. 2 rangers came up at dusk to spend the night. they asked who's tent it was and i confessed. they said i was smart for not sleeping in the shelter. the rest i saw at clingman's dome and newfound gap in vehicles. it's not a big issue

The Weasel
02-16-2007, 11:49
Please honor our National Parks. These rules are there for a reason. Yes, you can find lots of places. You can probably get away with it. But its not something you want to do.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2007, 12:20
Vapor---

I'm like you; I HATE sleeping in shelters and only do so if they're empty or the weather is horrible. What I do is try and arrive at a shelter towards the end of the day, in the hopes that the shelter will be full when I arrive, and then I pitch nearby, which is perfectly OK. Or, I'll sit outside and wait til the shelter fills up, which in the middle of hiker season, is pretty much a nightly occurence. I think you'll be fine.

While it's true that you're very unlikely to encounter a Ranger in the backcountry of the Smokies, if you're caught illegally camping, you will probably be heavily fined and removed from the Park.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-16-2007, 12:41
I'm with LW on this - as long as you are camped within sight of a shelter, the rangers don't care. As JT says, during the prime camping season, the shelter will fill up and it will be a moot point anyway.

As for seeing rangers - I've seen several during the mid-day, but only recall seeing one at night -- and he was looking for an elderly couple that had reportedly been hiking and failed to return to their group.

The Solemates
02-16-2007, 13:02
Ive seen ridgerunners many times in the Smokies during the day, especially in the peak summer months, and many have often asked me of my nightly plans. However, they are ALWAYS along the AT. Drop down off the ridge, and you will never see them. They patrol the AT a lot more than they used to because it gets so much attention. I'd be careful about tenting along the AT, unless like others have said, the shelter is full; in recent years they seem to be cracking down more. We had one call us in to make sure we really had reservations one time (we didnt). He let us go, but not without a very condescending talkin' to. Its easy to call and make reservations...why not do it? Or better yet if tenting it is your thing, you can easily drop off the AT and find a decent stealth spot. Of course, truthfully my recommendations really only apply for 3 season hiking. You won't see a soul in the winter, which is when I like to go to the Park.

Rain Man
02-16-2007, 13:31
Not much sympathy for so-so rationalizers who convince themselves they are above the law.

Sorry, but the National Parks, and the GSMNP especially, need fewer problems to deal with, not more. It's too bad Rangers have to waste any time looking for folks who think rules are for other people.

By the way, if you've got a REAL sleep problem (maybe with a doctor's statement?), go to the Rangers and be up front about it. Maybe they'll make an accommodation. But "I prefer privacy"? I'm guessing that dog won't hunt up there. Nor should it.

My apologies for being blunt.

Rain:sunMan

Lone Wolf
02-16-2007, 13:33
Not much sympathy for so-so rationalizers who convince themselves they are above the law.

Sorry, but the National Parks, and the GSMNP especially, need fewer problems to deal with, not more. It's too bad Rangers have to waste any time looking for folks who think rules are for other people.

My apologies for being blunt.

Rain:sunMan

i bet you drive over the speed limit:)

Alligator
02-16-2007, 13:45
In several places in the park the backcountry tent sites are within reasonable distance from the AT. Just keep an eye on the elevation changers as you come off the ridgeline.

Hikerhead
02-16-2007, 13:52

If you live in Nashville you have to or be ran over.:eek:

The Solemates
02-16-2007, 15:35

that was great :D

OntheRoad
02-16-2007, 15:58
So wait, you can't tent camp on the GSMNP? Uhh.. that's gonna be a problem. What the hell am I supposed to sleep in? A full shelter?

Lone Wolf
02-16-2007, 15:59
So wait, you can't tent camp on the GSMNP? Uhh.. that's gonna be a problem. What the hell am I supposed to sleep in? A full shelter?

the rule is, if the shelter is full you may tent in the vicinity of the shelter

Chris_Asheville
02-16-2007, 17:03
On our trip last weekend, two of the four in our group we physically unable to make it to Peck's Corner. They were hurtin' from the icy falls and the fold weather. They camped in the middle of the AT and set up a small fire on the trail. It was a pretty open section of the trail along the ridge, so they had room to set up. The low on Friday night was 3 degrees up there. For everyone who says camping along the trail or in the park in tents is a violation of the rules may be correct. However, circumstances play a huge part in how those rules are enforced. I'm glad the guys found a way to stay warm. Even though they set up camp (actually, they didn't have a tent, they slept on their pad and four inches of snow) in the middle of the AT, they made it through the night. We all respect the outdoors and park rules. If you need to and/or enjoy tent camping, set it up outside the shelter. You'll be fine and so will the land you come out to explore.

hopefulhiker
02-16-2007, 17:10
Yes I did see ridgerunners there. One spent the night in a shelter with us in the GSNP.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-16-2007, 19:05
I live 15 minutes from the GSMNP and visit it often. There seems to be very little problems with or from the thruhikers. The RANGERS rarely visit the shelters, thats the ridgerunners job. Most ridgerunners are past thruhikers, so keep that in mind when talking to them. A good Practice I used to do was to OFFER them your shelter spot and tell them you want to be outside. It has always worked for me :)

Now if you see a Ranger, then try to follow the Letter of the Law, because they will rarely bend the rules. Dont make a problem and you'll probably never have one in the park. Remember that they carry radios, and can call in when they need to.

Yes, I like Jacks idea as well, just wait for the shelter to fill up and it probably will. Heck we used to pitch a tent, but put our sleeping bags inside to make it look full :) Later move the bag to the outside.

By all means , have fun while in the Park and try not to just rush through it. Visit Mt Crammer, have lunch at the Bunion, sing a song at Rocky Top :)

Hope to cya as you pass through

Socrates
02-16-2007, 22:43
If you live in Nashville you have to or be ran over.:eek:

I used to live in Murfreesboro and went to Nashville often. I miss Middle Tennessee. It was a rather large version of a Nascar track. Now I live in a part of Florida where the cops are bored out of their mind and do nothing but run radar almost freakishly and certainly quite annoyingly.

To stay on topic, why aren't you allowed to throw up your tent in certain areas of the AT? What's the reasoning? I really don't know about it.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-16-2007, 23:25
Tents are not allowed in the GSMNP because of the impact they have on the area around the shelters and to preserve the wilderness on the rest of the trail. Tenting is ALLOWED in Back Country Campsights ( off the AT ), some requiring a reservation. As memtioned above you may tent on the AT in the GSMNP, within 50 feet of a shelter, Only when shelters are full and you ARE a thruhiker.

Tenting IS allowed almost everywhere else on the AT except the National Parks, such as SNP and Baxter. It is always best to tent in a spot that is already designed as a tent spot to prevent less impact on the enviroment. Dont build a fire unless there is Already a fire ring, etc.

The above are common opinions not necessary my own :) I own a HH Hammock and love to stealth camp myself.

RAT
02-16-2007, 23:55
I camped with a park ranger once and he said he didnt bother anyone as long as they arent burning the woods down (meaning doing any damage of any kind). He even passed a joint back and forth for some of the people who were partaking in the shelter that night (as he was out of uniform)and one came in late saying he didnt have reservations but could he stay there,, lol. It was pretty funny the next morning when he got up early and put his uniform on gun and all and said good morning and good bye to all, heh lol (true story) so I wouldnt worry to much about breaking some rules under certain circumstances. Lone Wolf is right, if the shelter is full you have no choice but to camp, but it is recommended to be near the shelter and geared primarily towards long distance hikers.

yes I drive over the speed limit ;)

RAT

generoll
02-17-2007, 00:40
Here's a suggestion that might help those of you who don't want to stay in a shelter and are concerned about staying within the law. When you get to Fontana, switch over to the BMT and follow it through the park and rejoin the AT at Davenport Gap. There's only one shelter in that section and as far as I know you don't have to stay in the shelter if you camp there. Lot's of nice trails and no crowds. Plenty of campsites, good water in most places, and no concerns about adding to the impact on the AT.