PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones on the Trail

tomman
02-16-2007, 20:59
:-? Please do not let this start a flame mess about cell phones. I know that most people do not like to have cell phones on the trail. I need one and one was recommended by my Doctor because of my age and health.

Let me explain. I am 71 years old and have COPD. I will be hiking fairly slow so I will be alone most of the time. I want the cell phone in case of trouble. The other hikers will never know I have a cell phone( unless they read this) because I will never use in when other hikers are present unless it is some kind of an emergency.

I want to keep in touch with my wife also, so she does not get worried about me. I also would like to use it with my pocketmail (which I also will not use in company) to keep a trail journal.

My question is to any one on the net that has used a cell phone. I would like to know what service they used and what kind of coverage they had along the trail? I know there are places where there is little or no coverage.

Did anyone use a cell phone with their pocketmail? What service was used? Where you able to send from the trail or did you have to wait until you reached a regular telephone?

I would very much like to hear from everyone that can assist me.

I am now committed to the AT. I have my American Airlines ticket to Atlanta and have reservations at the Hiker Hostel for the first night. I have 25 days to go. I hope to meet many of you on the trail. I will be keeping a journal at trailjournal.com/cherokeetom. I will also check into the Whiteblaze net as often as I can.

See you out there starting on the 14th of March.

Tom::)

bfitz
02-16-2007, 21:13
Mine has saved two lives. And brought pizza and beer to the trailhead. Need I say more?

bfitz
02-16-2007, 21:14
Verizon, and the coverage is as good as I've seen anyone get on the trail.

Socrates
02-16-2007, 21:55
I use Cingular. If anyone has any experience with them for coverage along the AT, I'd be interested to know. Thanks

Lilred
02-16-2007, 22:09
verizon always seemed to get a signal when my cingular didn't. I'd get a verizon for the trail if I needed to depend on a phone.

Programbo
02-16-2007, 22:40
Don`t worry about what others will think or what others like or don`t like on the trail..Do what makes you comfortable and secure..Especially with health concerns..I have a heart condition and always take my cell phone with me on day hikes..I can see where someone walking along the trail or sitting in the shelter yakking away about nonsensical things would be unwelcome to most but I can`t imagine anyone objecting to a cell phone for safety reasons especially since it could very well save their life one day

Sly
02-16-2007, 23:18
From what I understand, Verizon won't work with Pocketmail unless it's in analog mode, Cingular should either way.

ed bell
02-16-2007, 23:57
From what I understand, Verizon won't work with Pocketmail unless it's in analog mode, Cingular should either way.Analog EATS battery life.

Sly
02-17-2007, 00:03
Analog EATS battery life.

The man asked I answered.

I'm not even sure if one could switch it over to analog to send an email with a Verizon cellphone unless you're in a certain area or the phone seeks it out.. At that point, to send email only takes a minute or two.

ed bell
02-17-2007, 00:12
I was just remarking about my phone going to analog in remote areas. If pockmail goes to analog for a couple seconds, no biggie. Trying to place a call and talking on analog has taken my 2/3 charged battery to low battery in less than 5 minutes.

tomman
02-17-2007, 01:16
I was told by a Verizon tech yesterday that you can not switch the new cell phones to analog. that means you can not use the pocketmail with them.

How did those that used pocketmail send their data. Did you use Cingular or some other service. If the Pocketmail can store the data until I get to a standard telephone then I will keep the Verizon service I now have. Otherwise I will switch to Cingular/ATT&T.

Tom

jettjames
02-17-2007, 04:10
ok i am new to this site and this may be a dumb question, but............

what is pocketmail?

pt

Marta
02-17-2007, 06:13
PocketMail can store your data until you get to a land phone.

(jettjames--PocketMail is a portable email device. See pocketmail.com for more information.)

It's definitely worth it to get a phone with decent battery life, and keep it turned off except for the brief moments of use. I probably had reception 2/3ds of the days along the AT. (I usually checked once a day, in likely locations.) Some places where I had reception surprised me--Hurd Brook Lean-to in the Wilderness comes to mind--and some places without reception--Salisbury, CT--were just as surprising. You should definitely carry a phone card as well for use in places were you have pay phones but no cell reception.

Quite a few places which were listed as having pay phones in the '06 Wingfoot no longer had them by late summer and fall.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Touch of Grey
02-17-2007, 06:49
I just upgraded my cell phone and all you have to do is ask for a tri-mode phone. A tri-mode phone gives you less options when it comes to phones in some repects but allows you to have more choices along the way. Yes analog does eat batteries but the ability to do analog might be in your case and in others a life saver. I was recommended by a very good Verizon agent to get the tri-mode phone a few years ago because it would allow me the best coverage in the tri-state area where I drove my truck.

I have had a connection when others would not or could not be able to get one. My current phone is the Motorola V325I it is a tri-mode (analog can be shut off, and two digital modes). BTW one of the good things about the newer phones is that they have GPS technology built into them. While it is not perfect by any means it helps or could help a rescuer to get in the area of where you are even when you are unaware of your exact location. Have your agent explain or set-up the phone for you before hand. It's a far cry better than you or someone else saying something to a potential rescuer, 'Gee, I'm somewhere between Roan Mt and Erwin TN.' In rescuers terms that gives them quite a few miles of search area to cover and time is or could be of the essence.

As always there are certain limitations to what anyone can and should expect from technology and having a good idea of your general location should always be of prime concern.

On a side note, make sure if you do get a cell phone that it has as two of the quick call functions these two numbers, 911 and ICE (In Case of Emergency which should be a family member.) Also make sure that you have a laminated card or some form of identification so that should you be found unconscience anyone finding you will be aware of any conditions you may have.

Lastly, I salute you for your courage at 71 years young for doing something like this. Most people at your age only want to sit around and gab. So 'bully' for you!

TOG

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-17-2007, 09:04
I will join the chorus saluting you for your courage. We also hike pretty slow -- hope to hike with you a bit when you come thru our area (GSMNP). :)

The tri-mode phones are the way to go. They don't have all the bells and whistles the kiddie phones have, but how many of us mature hikers are going to miss those? What they do have is reception pretty much anywhere their is any sort of signal.

mrc237
02-17-2007, 09:30
Lastly, I salute you for your courage at 71 years young for doing something like this. Most people at your age only want to sit around and gab. So 'bully' for you!

TOG

I as well salute you.:) At your age you should not worry nor apoligize about carring a phone. I just don't get those "you're ruining my wilderness experience'' folks.;)

Frosty
02-17-2007, 10:08
ok i am new to this site and this may be a dumb question, but............

what is pocketmail?

ptwww.pocketmail.com

Toolshed
02-17-2007, 10:16
Why not just get a blackberry (or one of the new phones/q-pods) and turn the antenna off when you don't need it. Cellphone and email all in one package. Finding I cannot live without it for work.

Buckles
02-17-2007, 10:40
Speaking from my 20 years in the wireless industry...

1. Verizon Wireless will offer you better coverage than Cingular, or the others. This is not based on advertising, but empirical data.

2. Verizon Wireless (CDPD technology) will not interface with a PocketMail device. You would need Cingular or other GSM technology carrier to work wirelessly with PocketMail. That said, you can use your PocketMail from any landline phone via an 800# provided by PocketMail.

3. On the Trail (i.e., not in towns), you'll find sporatic or no coverage, as there are few cell towers within proximity to the Trail.

4. I would suggest that your phone be completely powered off unless you want to make a call. Even while powered off, it will use a nominal amount of battery life. If left on, and out of coverage, the phone will "cycle", searching for a cell tower that's not there or not close enough. This will deplete a battery within a couple of hours (or less).

5. Services other than voice, such as vCast, data and email are likely to work even more sporatically.

Frosty
02-17-2007, 12:52
1. Verizon Wireless will offer you better coverage than Cingular, or the others. This is not based on advertising, but empirical data.

3. On the Trail (i.e., not in towns), you'll find sporatic or no coverage, as there are few cell towers within proximity to the Trail.I don't know about this. I've had cell coverage in lots of places on the trail. Except for Maine and the NH White Mtns, I've been amazed at how much coverage there was. And I have Cingular. If Verizon has better coverage along the AT, it must be in more places than not.

Buckles
02-17-2007, 12:56
I don't know about this. I've had cell coverage in lots of places on the trail. Except for Maine and the NH White Mtns, I've been amazed at how much coverage there was. And I have Cingular. If Verizon has better coverage along the AT, it must be in more places than not.

The point is that cell towers are placed in proximity to population and traffic routes. The wireless industry isn't placing cell towers out there for hikers. Sure, you're going to have places on the Trail where you can recieve a signal. Don't count on it.

ed bell
02-17-2007, 16:04
I have had many occasions where my phone(verison) has shown one or two bars in the mountains, and an attempted call has failed. I also believe that the battery drain is quite high when a call is attempting to connect with no results.

Frosty
02-17-2007, 17:01
The point is that cell towers are placed in proximity to population and traffic routes. The wireless industry isn't placing cell towers out there for hikers. Sure, you're going to have places on the Trail where you can recieve a signal. Don't count on it.I only said that my experience conflicted with your report that there was zero or sporadic cell reception other than in towns.

I had coverage on the AT in MOST of your state of Georgia, for instance. More often than not when I turned my cell phone on that I could make a call. I was amazed at the coverage. I made a call from Deep Gap, NC, miles and miles from anywhere and tucked into a fold in the hills.

If you could not get coverage on the GA AT with Verizon, then I would switch to Cingular if I were you.

mrc237
02-17-2007, 20:26
I use T-mobile and have had mild success

iliketacos
02-17-2007, 20:35
Any thoughts on Sprint for coverage?

tomman
02-17-2007, 22:44
Since posting my original question I went back and read Old Goats journal of 2006 on trailjournals.com.

By the way Old Goad was picked as Time magazines' Person of the year for 2006 because of his AT hike.

He used a Cingular system because he has pocketmail. In reading his entries again he talked to his wife almost daily on the trail. There were some areas where he could not get coverage but overall it was very good. This is good information straight from the trail.

His trail journal is a very well written and enjoyable to read.

Tom

Sly
02-17-2007, 22:56
By the way Old Goat was picked as Time magazines' Person of the year for 2006 because of his AT hike.

I haven't read his journal but I wonder why they picked him for Person of the Year? :confused: He had to make that up!:rolleyes:

Froggy
02-17-2007, 23:50
How do you recharge the phone? Carry a recharger for when you're in town? Use a 12 V adapter when you hitchhike? Send it along in a bounce box?

4eyedbuzzard
02-17-2007, 23:55
By the way Old Goad was picked as Time magazines' Person of the year for 2006 because of his AT hike.

Time's Person of the Year 2006 was "You". As in you, me, and everybody due mostly to the virtual community of the World Wide Web.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1569514,00.html

Jester2000
02-18-2007, 04:40
I was actually Time Magazine's Person of the Year.

I believe it had to do with how sexy I was during that particular year.

Hiker's mom
02-18-2007, 13:56
How do you recharge the phone? Carry a recharger for when you're in town? Use a 12 V adapter when you hitchhike? Send it along in a bounce box?
My son is currently hiking the AT and using a Cingular phone. He bought 2 extra batteries and has his charger. Whenever he is in a town he recharges his phone. I don't think he has ever used the 3rd battery - he doesn't leave in on, just calls every day or two to check in and keep his parents from worrying too much. Also keeps in touch with his fiance.

Programbo
02-22-2007, 22:31
I`ve been on AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) at a number of points on the trail from Northern VA to Southern PA on my T-Mobile phone so I know the signal from that carrier is good at that point..But I couldn`t get a signal at all in the mid-SNP area with it...They have a little phone battery chargers that are either solar or hand held rotary ones

Heater
03-25-2007, 12:04
Any thoughts on Sprint for coverage?

I'd like to know also!

Quoddy
03-25-2007, 13:07

For charging I got a SideWinder (http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=aeromedix&_sessid=0fd6fe0928a31484a89d9e72c869f40d&action=sku&sku=sidew). Weighs 2.5 oz and charges the phone surprising easily.

DavidNH
05-01-2007, 14:06
Well truth is you do NOT need to have a cell phone on a thru hike. Many do carry one. Yet when ever you get into town, there is always a payphone some where.

I chose not to carry a cell phone and If I were to hike the trail again I probably still would not. For me it would detract from the "wilderness" experience I seek.

DavidNH

sixhusbands
05-01-2007, 14:34
There are very few places that you can go to get away from the blasted ringing of the cell phones. I enjoy the peace and quiet on the trail.... that is what I came there for! Isn't it bad enough that you have to hear everyone yacking everywhere you go...now the trail or worse yet the shelters will be a constant buzz with cellphone conversations with the people they left behind. Absence makes the heart grow fonder! Let there be freedom from the world on the trail and that should be from the cellphones.

Earl Grey
05-01-2007, 19:49
I have been thinking about this alot recently and originally I was going to take a phone and charger. But maybe ill just get a phone card and call at pay phones or in hostels is the people would let me. Maybe I will just take a phone and use it to text message so as to not distract people because I too hate to hear people yakking and think they need to be talking to someone all the time.

buckowens
05-01-2007, 19:56
I am also a Blackberry user like Toolshed. I check weather reports, email and check any website of interest. My wife has stipulated that before I take my 9 year old daughter out for 2 weeks, that I have a phone :D . A reasonable request... I am also going to try to keep a trail journal while out so that friends, family and classmates can keep track of our progress, and the BB will work well for this.

I have found that in some cases I can send email in areas where I have pretty poor phone service. This will allow me to create messages in dead areas, and upon cresting a hill they will automatically send. I have done this while hiking solo in NM and found it to work well for position reports. I have also done it while flying, and upon reaching about 5,000 feet I get service and the message goes...

I have been offered a satellite phone from work but am going to pass... too heavy...

Marta
05-01-2007, 19:59
But maybe ill just get a phone card and call at pay phones or in hostels is the people would let me.

Payphones are disappearing at an astonishing rate. Quite a few of the places that were supposed to have pay phones according to the '06 guidebooks no longer had them by the summer of '06. I'd say that if you already have a cell phone, go ahead and bring it with you. To keep the cell phone from running your hike I'd recommend that you: 1) Keep it turned off except when you are making a call out 2) Not promise people you'll call often because you will frequently not have a signal and you need to conserve battery life. I'd say that slightly less than half the hikers I ran into last year had cell phones...and the ones who didn't have them were not unhappy to borrow mine to make phone calls home. Or order pizza. :D

Marta/Five-Leaf

Tin Man
05-01-2007, 20:10
I have spoken out against cell phones in the past, but I have reconsidered my position. I really don't care to hear a cell phone ringing in the woods, but I don't like hearing cars either. It is really hard to escape either along the AT. It really comes down to how it is used. Like anything else, behavior and respecting others is about, well, behaving and respecting others, not about what you are doing whether it is yakking on the phone, going to the privy (or the nearest tree), brushing your teeth, or whatever.

RockStar
05-01-2007, 20:12
The type of phone you have has a lot to do with your reception as well. I had a Sony Ericsson t637 and it had 9hrs talk time and the best reception of ANY phone I have ever had! I bought a Sliver and had maybe 3 hrs talk time and the WORST reception. I now am on my 3rd Sony Ericsson and am very pleased with the talk time and reception.

I personally don't want to hear another person b*tch about needing to use the phone when I stop along the trail. I do have a payphone card but, HATE standing in line waiting to use the phone for 5 minutes. But, thats just me. I also like knowing when I NEED something I forgot or didnt anticipate I can call when noone is around and request it to be sent in my drop or overnighted.

I understand ppl needing their wilderness experience but, why dont we avoid each other then and I can enjoy mine as you enjoy yours. I don't like sleeping in shelters b/c of the snoring!

saimyoji
05-01-2007, 20:26
I'm a cell phone hypocrite. I carry one when I hike. I use it whenever I feel like: on the trail, in the shelter, in my tent. I never really talk loud, nor do I call many people, but sometimes I use it. And don't you dare let me hear you calling all your friends telling them what a great time you're having....don't you dare spoil my wilderness experience....:rolleyes::eek:

Yep....I'm a cell phone hypocrite. :D

Frosty
05-01-2007, 21:31
I enjoy the peace and quiet on the trail.... that is what I came there for!Forget the AT. No peace, no quiet, no wilderness, road crossings every day.

Hike the CDT. No people, lots of wilderness and quiet, no cell phone reception.

Why anyone would hike the AT looking for wilderness and no people astounds me.

DavidNH
05-01-2007, 22:39
Forget the AT. No peace, no quiet, no wilderness, road crossings every day.

Hike the CDT. No people, lots of wilderness and quiet, no cell phone reception.

Why anyone would hike the AT looking for wilderness and no people astounds me.
.. if you hike in Maine's "100 mile wilderness" you can be pretty alone.

Stay away from shelters. and hike in maine.

However it is true... In georgia, NC, much of Viriginia and the mid atlantic solitude is next to impossible.

David

rafe
05-01-2007, 23:21
Forget the AT. No peace, no quiet, no wilderness, road crossings every day.

I hiked from Bear Mtn. to Lehigh Gap in Sept. of last year. I had shelters to myself every night but one, and on that one, had to share with one other hiker. There was a stretch of nearly 48 hours (in NY, no less) where I saw no other human. Not a one. It was getting a bit weird and lonesome, to tell the truth.

I know this isn't the "typical" thru-hiking experience. OTOH, it's one of the reasons I've been having more fun as a section hiker. No doubt the western trails are wilder. Wilderness on the AT is fleeting. For sure, there were stretches between Monson and Katahdin that felt plenty wild.

Frosty
05-01-2007, 23:34
I hiked from Bear Mtn. to Lehigh Gap in Sept. of last year. I had shelters to myself every night but one, and on that one, had to share with one other hiker. There was a stretch of nearly 48 hours (in NY, no less) where I saw no other human. Not a one. It was getting a bit weird and lonesome, to tell the truth.

I know this isn't the "typical" thru-hiking experience. OTOH, it's one of the reasons I've been having more fun as a section hiker. No doubt the western trails are wilder. Wilderness on the AT is fleeting. For sure, there were stretches between Monson and Katahdin that felt plenty wild.Yeah, the 100 miles wildeness comes close, and parts of ME hiking mid-week.

But basically, if I were looking for wilderness and solitude, there are a lot of places I'd go to find it, but one of them isn't the AT.

Not judging it. It is what it is.

I happen to enjoy hiking with others, and especially having others around when I camp, one of the reason I enjoy the AT so much.

Nest
05-02-2007, 00:26
Maybe it should just be phrased differently. I'm not going to hike to get away from people, just to get away from certain types of people. The people you run into on the trail are probably a lot different than the type you come across every day at work, grocery shopping, and driving through traffic. That's why I won't carry a phone next year. If they aren't on the trail, than they are who I am getting away from. I love my family and friends and all, but that's just how it is.

RockStar
05-02-2007, 00:49
Maybe it should just be phrased differently. I'm not going to hike to get away from people, just to get away from certain types of people. The people you run into on the trail are probably a lot different than the type you come across every day at work, grocery shopping, and driving through traffic. That's why I won't carry a phone next year. If they aren't on the trail, than they are who I am getting away from. I love my family and friends and all, but that's just how it is.

I felt this way too. And was surprised yet NOT to find that in ANY crowd there's always an *sshole. And sometimes I'm IT! ;)

Fannypack
05-02-2007, 06:29
of the 8 thru-hikers I saw last w/e near Waynesboro, VA at least half had cell phones.

One hiker was using Verizon service & said that there was only one day since Springer that he didn't have reception.

Tin Man
05-02-2007, 06:30
To quote L. Wolf, "cell phones are a non-issue"

Lone Wolf
05-02-2007, 20:55
To quote L. Wolf, "cell phones are a non-issue"

except cell phones along with "going lite" have turned hikers into total weenies. the minute the weather turns a little shi**y their calling for rides. the weather this year was nothing out of the ordinary. wimp factor is way up.

The Owl
05-02-2007, 21:02
Sir, if you are 71 years young and still hiking, you do what you like. I'm not opposed to cell-phones, but even if I hated the things, I'd say I have enough respect for you to allow you to do what you please.

If folks don't like cell phones on the trail, then maybe they should take up ice-fishing. Like so many things that have changed the world forever, the cell-phone is here to stay....just a fact.

rafe
05-03-2007, 07:40
except cell phones along with "going lite" have turned hikers into total weenies. the minute the weather turns a little shi**y their calling for rides. the weather this year was nothing out of the ordinary. wimp factor is way up.

This comment from the guy who says he doesn't hike in the rain?

Lone Wolf
05-03-2007, 07:51
This comment from the guy who says he doesn't hike in the rain?

that's intelligence.

SGT Rock
05-03-2007, 07:55
So weenies cary phones and stupid people hiking in the rain. So how about the guy with the phone in the rain?

Tin Man
05-03-2007, 08:06
So weenies cary phones and stupid people hiking in the rain. So how about the guy with the phone in the rain?

His phone got wet, shorted out and now he is lost, probably sniveling.

Doctari
05-03-2007, 10:17
Initally (a few years ago) I was totally against C-phones on the trail, except for perhaps a true Emergency (not breating is a true emergency). But lately I have noticed alot of phone booths disapearing in my area. So even if you do the "Oh, I can make it the 2 miles to the trailhead" it seems to me that soon you may not find a phone there.

FWIW: from the damascus traildays site

"Cell phones:

Sprint, Verizon work. Nothing else does."

From my experience at the Mt Rogers hang out: my Cinti Bell / AT&T cell phone didn't work in Damascus, I didn't get ANY signal till about 10 miles West out of town.

My thoughts on the above is you may want a c phone with satalite capability. Just a thought as you may need it in an emergency situation.

Frosty
05-03-2007, 10:42
Maybe it should just be phrased differently. I'm not going to hike to get away from people, just to get away from certain types of people. The people you run into on the trail are probably a lot different than the type you come across every day at work, grocery shopping, and driving through traffic. That's why I won't carry a phone next year. If they aren't on the trail, than they are who I am getting away from. I love my family and friends and all, but that's just how it is.I didn't mean to come across so harshly. You will see many folks with cell phones on the trail, and many more you see will have them, you just won't know it. I usually carry mine while hiking. Sometimes I don't. Either way, I'm the same type of person.

Cell phones among hikers are more often found on people my age than yours. Should you ever need to make a call for any reason, ask an old fogey. Chances are he has one, and will be happy to let you use it.

Mags
05-03-2007, 10:48
Debating cell phones in the wilderness is a moot point now.

At this point, it will be a losing battle to try to keep them off the trails. Not just in AT land, but on the others trails as well, it is now a common question: How do I stay connected? What is the best way? As a society, desiring to be off the grid communication wise is odd. Different. Abnormal.

About 20 yrs ago or so, an engineer/scientist type person at Bell Labs [1] said that rather than a home phone, each person in the househould will have their own number. We are almost at that point now due ubiquitous and inexpensive cell phone technology.

Ten years from now there won't be a question if I should bring phone on the trail; most people will assume that you have a phone. Luddites like myself who do not bring a phone into the woods will be the abberation.

Cell phones are here. Whether they are a good or bad thing is another debate. :)

I'd like to take the middle ground and advocate good etiquette for cell phone use. Step off the trail a bit and use it in private. You still get to call your loved ones and you respect people who would rather not see the cell phone (and what it represents).

As for wilderness on the AT...wilderness on the AT is fleetingly rare. There is plenty of WILDness, though.

Wildness is being on Franconia Ridge in the fog and then having the sun break out showing the view that made me fell in love with the outdoors.

Wildness is seeing the first flowers of spring in the southern Applachians after a cold winter.

Wildness is hearing the loons while at a lake in Maine.

Wildness can be found where use choose to look. The AT may not be wilderness, but it does abound in wildness.

[1] Sorry, I forget where I read it. :(

Lone Wolf
05-03-2007, 11:06
Cell phones among hikers are more often found on people my age than yours. Should you ever need to make a call for any reason, ask an old fogey. Chances are he has one, and will be happy to let you use it.

nope. every day i see young nobos in town here with cell phones stuck to their ears

Earl Grey
05-04-2007, 12:53
I read a report that cell phone use is actually dropping.

Maybe this means more people are texting which is what I would do if I took a cell phone out there. You say what needs to be said and thats all. If hostels and post offices had text messaging it would be even better and im sure one day it will be that way.

superman
05-04-2007, 13:26
"I'd like to take the middle ground and advocate good etiquette for cell phone use."

I agree that cell phones are on the trail and they won't be going away any time soon. Of course there are the many who try to use their phone discreetly but then there are the others... it seems like the use of their phones are indiscriminate if not overtly rude. It is trail etiquette that guides people’s action on a whole range of topics. Either trail etiquette for cell phones hasn't been worked out or a large bunch of people never got the word.

Mags
05-04-2007, 13:53
"It is trail etiquette that guides people’s action on a whole range of topics. Either trail etiquette for cell phones hasn't been worked out or a large bunch of people never got the word.

A little of both.

As mentioned, we are an increasingly connected society. Being connected 24/7 is the increasing norm. As such, people bring that culture with them EVERYWHERE. Churches, trails, movies, etc. [1]

If you purposely choose to stay disconnected, you are the odd ball.

The local newspaper had an article advocating personal locator beacons for everyone along with a cell phone. Many of my peers think it is odd I eschew my phone when on trips to the local foothills...never mind a trip of several months.

Ideally, cell phones could be left at home by everyone. It ain't gonna happen for a variety of reasons (family, societal, medical, personal choice, etc.).

What we all can do is to politely suggest that cell phone users may be a little more discrete about it. Talking about the evils of phone use won't accomplish anything. Saying to please step off the trail a bit might.

Perhaps it is a losing battle. Bit I think it is position that can realistically be dealt with.

Just my .02

[1] My Dad, a devout Catholic, told me how the priest had to ask people to turn off their cell phones during Mass! Though I am not religious, I still think having a cell phone ringing during Church is rather rude.

greg burke
05-04-2007, 14:00
I'm glad your taking your c phone hope you can keep it charged happy trails

Earl Grey
05-11-2007, 17:02
Eve more use for a cell phone with texting. My blog will check a specified email address and post whatever is sent to that address. I will be able to text message this email address and then it will post what I write. This completely bypasses any need for a computer, except for pictures and also a pocketmail. Qwerty style phones are relatively cheap now too. Just food for thought.

katagious
05-11-2007, 19:49
When my boys told me they were going to do the appalachian trail..I bought them 3 things.
1. One way tickets to Atlanta from Maine
2. A water filter/purifier
3. 2 U.S. Cellular serviced Cell phones. (Well, actually 5 of them...for all the kids at once BUT..)
They should be in Damascus tomorrow and they've had service for the majority of their hike. There have been areas where they did not have service for maybe a day or so..but other then that...
4. Maine has spotty cellular service in many areas irrelevant of what service you use. So..maybe a plan B when you hit the northeast if you have health issues.

Lone Wolf
05-12-2007, 02:38
When my boys told me they were going to do the appalachian trail..I bought them 3 things.
1. One way tickets to Atlanta from Maine
2. A water filter/purifier
3. 2 U.S. Cellular serviced Cell phones. (Well, actually 5 of them...for all the kids at once BUT..)
They should be in Damascus tomorrow and they've had service for the majority of their hike. There have been areas where they did not have service for maybe a day or so..but other then that...
4. Maine has spotty cellular service in many areas irrelevant of what service you use. So..maybe a plan B when you hit the northeast if you have health issues.

you messed up with #2

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2007, 07:44
The dinos just switched from Cingular to Vorizon due to multiple service issues (which will likely get worse now that Cingular has been bought by ATT).

We also got a new cell phone - a barebones model called LG VX3400 which gets great marks for ease of use, durability & reception; has features like an Outlook-lite-type scheduler, an alarm clock, voice memo recording, a notepad, a calculator, a world clock & a unit converter that dinos need, and has an excellent battery life between charges. We are already noticing that we have service in many areas where we had none before and we have not dropped a single call since we switched (a constant problem with Cingular)

katagious
05-12-2007, 12:42
you messed up with #2

I'll bite... Why do you say that?
:confused:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2007, 13:13
Katagious, Lone Wolf drinks his water directly from the source. He does not believe in filtering or treating. Since he thru-hiked several times and his lovely lady, Gypsy, assures me he is very much alive :D, I'm assuming this is a viable option.

Blissful
05-12-2007, 13:39
Yep, our family can attest he's very much alive. (great to meet him too) :)

And thanks to him, Paul Bunyan has been sneaking water from the springs without the great chemical taste of Aquamira and THEN telling me about it. (!!!!!)
:)

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2007, 14:31
Don't go with Virgin or Sprint. I can only get service when I am in civilization, and maybe some high spots like Roan.

Just talk to other hikers to see if they carry one, and which providers are popular. And compare the trail with various service providers' coverage to see where dead spots are located.

I do suggest that you get a phone with either GPS or with cell triangulation. Just in case you do come into an emergency in the wilderness, authorities can locate you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2007, 15:40
We have one that allows us to turn on the GPS for everyone - it is always on for E-911 and the provider. However, you have to be in range of a cell tower for this to work. If I were carrying an item for personal safety, it would be a personal locator beacon - a device that broadcast a distress signal and your GPS location via satellites.

Bliss, they don't come any better than LW. He and I are polar opposites, but I can honestly say I sit up and listen when he talks (sometime just so I can locate his paws, but still :D).

Programbo
05-13-2007, 14:24
Katagious, Lone Wolf drinks his water directly from the source. He does not believe in filtering or treating. Since he thru-hiked several times and his lovely lady, Gypsy, assures me he is very much alive :D, I'm assuming this is a viable option.

Well unless something serious has happened to the water sources since the 70`s (If I recall pollution was a lot worse back then) I never treated water once and never got sick...Maybe some sort of new bacteria or other biological problem has come along since then?

But back to topic...My T-Mobile phone wouldn`t get a signal at various points in SNP recently but seems fine most places I tried it from NOVA-PA

ShakeyLeggs
05-13-2007, 17:53
This may seem a bit crazy. I have had singular, verizon alltel nextel and a few others. For around the homefront here I have Cingular but for on the trail I get me a trakfone. I found that the coverage I get on the trail with it is the best. Plus it is cheap.

Jester2000
05-13-2007, 18:10
But basically, if I were looking for wilderness and solitude, there are a lot of places I'd go to find it, but one of them isn't the AT.

See, the problem is, the AT can be wilderness, if you have a good willing suspension of disbelief. Cell phones interfere with my ability to pretend that I'm in the middle of nowhere.

. . . it is now a common question: How do I stay connected? What is the best way?

. . .when perhaps the better question is, "why am I so obsessed with being connected, and is my obsession interfering with my ability to "connect" with other things?

I think cell phones are great for people who want them or feel they need them, and when someone uses one as bfitz does (discreetly), not a problem for anyone.

I'll make a deal with everyone. You keep your cell phone use discreet, and I won't walk around pantsless because I need to stay "connected" to my groin.

ShakeyLeggs
05-13-2007, 18:19
This last trip is the first time I have ever taken a cell phone on the trail with me. It stayed stashed and turned off until I got to Gathland State Park where I called to get me a ride to a doctor. Made getting the medical help I needed easy. Other wise it would have never been seen by anyone as it would have stayed stashed.

Frosty
05-13-2007, 18:31
I think cell phones are great for people who want them or need themMost things are great if you want them or need them :D

I'll make a deal with everyone. You keep your cell phone use discreet, and I won't walk around pantsless because I need to stay "connected" to my groin.I'll offer a counter deal. I won't tell you how to dress when you hike, and you don't tell me what to bring when I hike. I won't look when you walk around naked and you don't listen when I talk.

Remember, if you want peace and quiet, you are better off next to a guy on a cell phone than two guys talking to each other in the shelter. With the cell phone, you only hear half the yakking :D

Seriously, I agree 100% about being polite. We all have the right to talk, smoke, drink, use a cell phone, etc. No one has a right to prevent you from talking, etc, But being considerate is just a nice thing to do.

Nightwalker
05-13-2007, 19:29
I'll make a deal with everyone. You keep your cell phone use discreet, and I won't walk around pantsless because I need to stay "connected" to my groin.

Just so you're not staying connected to my groin, we're okay.

I take my phone so that I can talk to my wife while I'm away. I don't use it at shelters unless I'm the only one there. If you happen to come across me using it on a peak somewhere and it offends you, just act like you don't see it. Or, just get all pissy and look down your nose at me, all the while talking about the good ol' days when we only talked via smoke signals and the can-and-string method. Whatever works, ya know? :)

Mags
05-14-2007, 12:21
. . .when perhaps the better question is, "why am I so obsessed with being connected, and is my obsession interfering with my ability to "connect" with other things?
[quote=Jester2000;362601]

If you recall, I said I don't use one in the backcountry.

I and when someone uses one as bfitz does (discreetly), not a problem for anyone.

Isn't that what I basically said?

The Old Fhart
05-14-2007, 13:24
Jester2000-"See, the problem is, the AT can be wilderness, if you have a good willing suspension of disbelief. Cell phones interfere with my ability to pretend that I'm in the middle of nowhere."....so what your telling us is you have just enough suspension of disbelief to pretend the A.T. is wilderness but not quite enough to pretend that cell phones don't exist. I can see that the problem is not with the presence of cell phones but that you don't have a strong enough faith!:D

Jester2000
05-14-2007, 19:03
. . .We all have the right to talk, smoke, drink, use a cell phone, etc. No one has a right to prevent you from talking, etc, But being considerate is just a nice thing to do.

Of course! That's why it's called "being considerate." But we do NOT have the right to do whatever we want. I do not have the "right" to sit in a communal shelter and blow smoke in everyone's face.

Regardless of whether you think you have the right (and John Stewart Mill might disagree with you), that doesn't mean that because you CAN do something you SHOULD do it. I, for example, CAN stand right next to you while you're talking on your cell phone and talk at the top of my lungs so you can't communicate with the person on the other end. That doesn't mean I SHOULD.

I think of cell phone use on the trail the same way I think of cell phone use in movie theaters. While I certainly wouldn't begrudge a young couple from receiving a message from a babysitter concerning an emergency at home, I don't want the person behind me having a lengthy conversation while I'm trying to watch a movie. I suspect that this would annoy you too.

If you recognize that many people go hiking to get away from things like cell phones, then you know how you should act. Discreetly. If you choose not to, well, there's a name for people like that.

If you recall, I said I don't use one in the backcountry.
Isn't that what I basically said?

Yep. I wasn't arguing. I was just using your post to make some observations.

....so what your telling us is you have just enough suspension of disbelief to pretend the A.T. is wilderness but not quite enough to pretend that cell phones don't exist. I can see that the problem is not with the presence of cell phones but that you don't have a strong enough faith!:D

Well, I once managed to pretend that you were a charming, handsome man, but it took all of my concentration, and then I heard someone's phone ringing, and the illusion was shattered. . .

Nightwalker
05-14-2007, 19:26
...Then I heard someone's phone ringing, and the illusion was shattered. . .

Was the call for you? Just sayin'/stirrin'/sumpin'...

Frosty
05-14-2007, 21:30
Of course! That's why it's called "being considerate." But we do NOT have the right to do whatever we want. I do not have the "right" to sit in a communal shelter and blow smoke in everyone's face.

Regardless of whether you think you have the right (and John Stewart Mill might disagree with you), that doesn't mean that because you CAN do something you SHOULD do it. I, for example, CAN stand right next to you while you're talking on your cell phone and talk at the top of my lungs so you can't communicate with the person on the other end. That doesn't mean I SHOULD.We are basically in agreement. We have a slightly different definition of the difference between a right and proper social behavior, that's all. I am of the persuasion that everything not expressly forbidden is permissible. Like you, I also don't believe having a right to do something doesn't mean you should, and sometimes there are things you have a right to do that you shouldn't do. Like those guys that pee and poop on the trail. They have the "right" to do so, but that doesn't make it "right." If you know what I mean.

The same thing, to a lesser degree, with cell phone usage, drinking, smoking, etc in shelters. These activities bother some people, so some phoners, drinkers, smokers, etc respect that and refrain from annoying others. Some don't.

If you recognize that many people go hiking to get away from things like cell phones, then you know how you should act. Discreetly. If you choose not to, well, there's a name for people like that.Well, sure, but on the flip side, if you recognize that many people do not hike to get away from cell phones (and want or even have a need to "stay connected" to folks back home, then you know how you should act. With tolerance. If you choose not to, well, there's a name for people like that. (I don't know what it is; I just wanted to point out that courtesy goes both ways.)

If people didn't smoke, drink and use cell phones is shelters, it would be very nice. But cell phone users say cell phones are legal and they have the right to use them if they want to, drinkers say drinking is legal and they have the right to drink if they want to, smokers say smoking is legal and they have the right to smoke it they want to, and so on.

So many people seem to be concerned that other people don't impact their hike, and few wonder if their behavior is obnoxious to others. When more people are concerned about offending others rather than concentrating on how others are offending the, then the trail experince will take a great leap forward.

Frosty
05-14-2007, 21:34
Oops. I seem to have lost my ability to edit my posts.

I think I said something wrong. I know what I meant, but this confuses even me. I think I have a "don't" in there that doesn't belong:

Like you, I also don't believe having a right to do something doesn't mean you should, and sometimes there are things you have a right to do that you shouldn't do.

How about this:

Like you, I also believe having a right to do something doesn't mean you should, and sometimes there are things you have a right to do, that you shouldn't do.

Yeah, that sounds better.

Programbo
05-14-2007, 22:09
In reply to all the above posts..While I do carry my cell phone when I am out on the trail it remains in my pocket unless I need it for an emergancy which is the only reason I carry it...I go out there to get away from it all and relax my mind and and soak in the magic in the air...So cell phones should be on the trail for safety but I`m against the , "Yo Man! Guess where I am dude!" calls people insist on making at some beautiful overlook.

Ender
05-15-2007, 09:58
I've hooked my cellphone up to a megaphone, so everyone in a 5 mile radius can hear it ring.

Jester2000
05-15-2007, 17:35
I've hooked my cellphone up to a megaphone, so everyone in a 5 mile radius can hear it ring.

Make sure you carry a Nextel phone so we can hear both sides of the conversation.

Frosty -- I kind of got the feeling while I was writing my last post that you and I weren't so much arguing as we were feeling out the way to nail down a slippery subject.

I recognize that we all go out on the trail for different reasons, and that many people aren't trying to disconnect from the rest of the world for a while. It just seems to me that there are plenty of places where cell phones are perfectly acceptable and even expected, and few where they are not. I can't think of anywhere (with the possible exception of spots in Maine) where one is more than four days from a town. Why not wait 'til town to pull out that phone? The disappearance of pay phones (where are they going? Back to their home planet?) alone justifies carrying a phone, in my mind.

But the very argument folks direct towards me regarding me not really being in "wilderness" can be turned on its head. The folks with the phones are very close to towns almost all the time. Can't they (as every pre-cell phone era hiker who needed to keep in touch did) wait 'til town. The answer is probably that they don't feel like waiting.

That doesn't feel like a good enough reason to be bothering others. As for acting with tolerance, I do. I've never taken anyone's phone out of their hand, turned it off, and thrown it as far as I could. 'Cause I'm a nice guy like that. Thing is, I don't want those who (in my mind) abuse phone use to be able to claim ignorance -- "I didn't think I was annoying anyone." If they decide to act like a jerk (and this is NOT the majority of people I know with phones on the trail) they should at least acknowledge it, instead of acting like their behavior is perfectly okay.

kap
07-18-2007, 03:35
I too take a cell phone on the trail, I am 19 and my mother would physically restrain me if I didnt take it with me. Im ok with carrying it if it makes her happy. I have a smart phone (Blackberry) and have experianced few services outages (Cingular). I keep it off for the majority of the day and then only use it to check in at home (my mother has fears of me getting raped and murdered). My BB has an exceptional battery life, and with the way I use it on the trail I typically get 2+ weeks. Anyway, I have recieved some crap from others when I take out the BB, but a few quick words shut them up!!!!

superman
07-18-2007, 08:54
Please do not let this start a flame mess about cell phones. I know that most people do not like to have cell phones on the trail. I need one and one was recommended by my Doctor because of my age and health.

Let me explain. I am 71 years old and have COPD. I will be hiking fairly slow so I will be alone most of the time. I want the cell phone in case of trouble. The other hikers will never know I have a cell phone( unless they read this) because I will never use in when other hikers are present unless it is some kind of an emergency.

I want to keep in touch with my wife also, so she does not get worried about me. I also would like to use it with my pocketmail (which I also will not use in company) to keep a trail journal.

My question is to any one on the net that has used a cell phone. I would like to know what service they used and what kind of coverage they had along the trail? I know there are places where there is little or no coverage.

Did anyone use a cell phone with their pocketmail? What service was used? Where you able to send from the trail or did you have to wait until you reached a regular telephone?

If any one does not wish to cover this on the net I am at email address:

[email protected]

I would very much like to hear from everyone that can assist me.

I am now committed to the AT. I have my American Airlines ticket to Atlanta and have reservations at the Hiker Hostel for the first night. I have 25 days to go. I hope to meet many of you on the trail. I will be keeping a journal at trailjournal.com/cherokeetom. I will also check into the Whiteblaze net as often as I can.

See you out there starting on the 14th of March.

Tom:

I used to wonder why Wingfoot was so opposed to cell phones. I hiked with Tex who carried a cell phone but I didn't even know that he had it for quite a while. His father and father-in-law were in their 90s and very frail. He had to go home to Texas 3 or 4 times to deal with issues. The last time was from Gorham, NH. When he came back he flip flopped but ran into snow. He returned the following spring and Pat and I hiked the last 100 miles of his hike with him. He would not have been able to do any of that with out the cell phone....but he always went off by himself to make his calls. I never had a bit of an issue with his cell phone use. Unlike so many of today’s cell phone users he did not use shelters as a phone booth, he was not loud and intrusive to others. I understand that cell phones are a reality and like it or not they will be on the trails. I ask that they be used discreetly but there are some who get a kick out of being loud and in your face with their cell phone. Yet another reason to avoid shelters and perhaps to hike sobo.

superman
07-19-2007, 06:46
This mornings news 7-19-07:
A 53 year old man took his 15 year old daughter up Mt Jefferson with only a cell phone for protection. They did not get back down before it got dark so they called for rescue. It took a large search party 5 hours to find them. The pair were cold, hungry and thirsty. When they were found they were advised that they would be charged under the "Reckless Hiker Law" and that they would pay the expense of the rescue.

Jaybird
07-19-2007, 07:05
:-? Please do not let this start a flame mess about cell phones. I know that most people do not like to have cell phones on the trail. ...........................
My question is to any one on the net that has used a cell phone. I would like to know what service they used and what kind of coverage they had along the trail?

i take a CELL PHONE for emergencies only
& to check-in with my lovely wife, "D-bird" every 3 days or so

as for cell coverage...i use TracFone which "piggy-backs" available cell coverage.:D

Good Luck with your hike!

mudhead
07-19-2007, 10:06
A 53 year old man took his 15 year old daughter up Mt Jefferson with only a cell phone for protection. They did not get back down before it got dark so they called for rescue. It took a large search party 5 hours to find them. The pair were cold, hungry and thirsty. When they were found they were advised that they would be charged under the "Reckless Hiker Law" and that they would pay the expense of the rescue.

Good. We get these wackjobs around here. My favorite was last winter, in Acadia. Started from the parking lot @2:30pm. Icy. S&R risks involved.

MOWGLI
07-19-2007, 10:14
A 53 year old man took his 15 year old daughter up Mt Jefferson with only a cell phone for protection. They did not get back down before it got dark so they called for rescue. It took a large search party 5 hours to find them. The pair were cold, hungry and thirsty.

Now, if only someone could manufacture an edible cell phone. ;)

Wait! Doesn't Verizon make a Chocolate cell phone? :sun

BigToe
07-23-2007, 14:44
I'll weigh in here on the cell phone issue. Personally I section hike every year at least in part to get away from technology and try to make my headlamp the only electrical device I bring. However, on the years when I hike alone, I bring a cell phone mostly to give my wife the comfortable illusion that I could get help in an emergency. We all recognize that for the most part reception is limited and you need to be on the peaks to get signal. It is nice to be able to check in and let my wife know I'm still among the living. I refuse to use the phone for any other calls and keep the battery out except for those calls.

When I make a call, I find an isolated spot without anyone else within hearing distance. I make my calls pretty short and then get myself back into woods mode. I really detest carrying the phone, but it is absolutely a comfort for the family.

One of the posters mentioned their feeling about cell phones in a theater being similar to the woods. No one denies the utility of a cell phone in an emergency or check-in. To be subjected to someone yammering away on the trail when you're trying to enjoy the woods is abhorrent. On this year's hike, I was treated to a fellow backpacker "catching up" with a friend on cell phone for over an hour one night while she tented near me. It was incredibly annoying. However, on the same hike, another backpacker was able to use their cell phone to get help for their father who was having a medical problem. There are good uses but many abuses, just as in "civilization".

Comment on the carriers - I recently changed from Verizon to Cingular due to work. Verizon seems to have much better coverage almost everywhere I go. I ended this year's hike in Tyringham MA and my Cingular phone had basically no signal. Another hiker at the trailhead had a Verizon phone which had a kicking 4 bars.

And a pitch - my work phone is a Blackberry 8700C brick - just under 5 ounces and big. I picked up a tiny Pantech C3 - 2.5 ounces and pocket sized. It worked fine on the trail (although it looks like a Zoolander phone) and the battery life seems very good. Now I use it as a weekend phone.

applejack
07-23-2007, 15:24
i side with post #2. most importantly the pizza an beer. savin lives is just a pleasant side effect.

akaGrace
07-30-2007, 18:49
I took my nokia E62 (similar to a blackberry) with me when I started the trail in March. I was able to get a signal nearly everywhere between Springer and Neels Gap. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I had to get off the trail at Neels Gap because of a serious illness, a bowel obstruction, and was able to call a friend to pick me up there and get me to the ER. I have had Cingular for 11 years now and from my experience a good part of the kind of signal/reception comes from the 'type' of phone and not just the carrier.

The E62 allows me to send / recieve email, surf the web and do my banking online. I keep it turned off and in my pant pocket or camera type pouch while hiking and generally don't use it until I'm in my tent at night.

akaGrace

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 19:04
Regardless of whether you think you have the right (and John Stewart Mill might disagree with you), that doesn't mean that because you CAN do something you SHOULD do it. I, for example, CAN stand right next to you while you're talking on your cell phone and talk at the top of my lungs so you can't communicate with the person on the other end. That doesn't mean I SHOULD.

I think of cell phone use on the trail the same way I think of cell phone use in movie theaters. While I certainly wouldn't begrudge a young couple from receiving a message from a babysitter concerning an emergency at home, I don't want the person behind me having a lengthy conversation while I'm trying to watch a movie. I suspect that this would annoy you too.

If you recognize that many people go hiking to get away from things like cell phones, then you know how you should act. Discreetly. If you choose not to, well, there's a name for people like that.

My trouble is I have conversations out loud without the cell phone. Or another person present. Very bad habit....especially the arguments. (There's a name for people like me, too, I know. Lots of them.)

Old Wolf
07-30-2007, 19:18
What about Sprint. Is Sprint any good on the trail?

Frosty
07-30-2007, 20:52
My trouble is I have conversations out loud without the cell phone. Or another person present. Good point. At least with a cell phone, others only hear one-half the conversation.

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 21:12
Good point. At least with a cell phone, others only hear one-half the conversation.

It is a lot less disturbing that way, or so I've heard. Particularly when the third point of view presents itself. I don't know why, but self-kibitzing really freaks people out.

Lightning Rod_2007
07-30-2007, 21:24
What about Sprint. Is Sprint any good on the trail?

Depends on your plan.

I got mad on the trail at my lack of coverage when others seemed to have it and raised Cain to some poor representative when I finally did get service and she politely told me that all roaming was free and included with my plan.

So, although I almost never had Sprint coverage, I always had free service.

I would call and make sure roaming is included in your plan as Sprint is probably the worst coverage on the the trail although I have no complaints as roaming free.

LR

Starsongs
08-06-2007, 10:47
What do you do with a cell phone in a location, such as Baxter State Park, that forbids cell phones? I plan to take my Katana on the Trail when I go. My carrier is Sprint.

Starsongs

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-06-2007, 11:08
I turn my phone off in locations where they are not allowed in the non-trail world - places like courtrooms, hospitals, etc. I would think that would work at Baxter. When thru hike up the mountain in Baxter, they are given a day pack by rangers and their backpack is kept safe. You could leave your cell phone in the backpack.

Starsongs
08-06-2007, 23:13
Ok, I'm glad to know that I won't have to worry about my cell phone. How about Digital camers or should I carry a regular old Polaroid and film?

Starsongs

saimyoji
08-06-2007, 23:49
Depends on your plan.

I got mad on the trail at my lack of coverage when others seemed to have it and raised Cain to some poor representative when I finally did get service and she politely told me that all roaming was free and included with my plan.

So, although I almost never had Sprint coverage, I always had free service.

I would call and make sure roaming is included in your plan as Sprint is probably the worst coverage on the the trail although I have no complaints as roaming free.

LR

Or you can just try to make a call when in roaming areas. If it costs extra, they'll let you know with a message like: "Roaming rates apply. Press 1 to place the call."