PDA

View Full Version : Food Unsuitable for FBC

Froggy
02-16-2007, 22:23
Roland brand Italian Risotto.

It took more than 30 minutes in hot water in the bag (in a cozy, sort of, see the posting about that....) to not cook.

I poured it into the pot and brought it back to a boil. After another 14 minutes, it was done - and was pretty bad.

Not recommended.

Skidsteer
02-16-2007, 22:31

It took more than 30 minutes in hot water in the bag (in a cozy, sort of, see the posting about that....) to not cook.

I poured it into the pot and brought it back to a boil. After another 14 minutes, it was done - and was pretty bad.

Not recommended.

You realize, of course, that 25-30 people will try it in a proper cozy and have spectacular results?:p

Rocketman
03-04-2007, 12:32

Not recommended.

I suspect the recommended boil time for natural cooking of the Risotto was over 10 minutes. That would make it a less likely candidate for cozy cooking than Angel Hair pasta.

Angel hair pasta often lists a normal slow boil cooking time of around five minutes. That would make it a good candidate for cozy FBC preparation.

Do you recall the recommended slow boil cooking time for the Risotto?

I found this information on the internet. I would never have considered Risotto as a candidate for FBC cozy preparation - unless previously cooked and dehydrated to become "instant Risotto". The normal cooking time is just too long to convert to soaking and cooling in a cozy.

Risotto is the most famous Rice dish of Italy. Cooking risotto will need 30-40 minutes with full attention (sorry no short cut). It may take long time but the result is worth the time and effort.

sarbar
03-04-2007, 13:16
Risotto made at home takes forever! You slowly keep adding in hot stock or whatever. Last time I made it, it took me 45 minutes! Now dehydrating it would work....then it would be FBC friendly :D

Froggy
03-04-2007, 21:17
My memory suggests that the instructions said to simmer more than 15 minutes. Maybe 18 minutes, but I'm not sure.

Even when finally cooked, though, it wasn't very good. In fact, it was, as I said, pretty bad.

I've been trying different foods. Some are good, some aren't. This one distinguished itself, though.

Rocketman
03-05-2007, 21:34
My memory suggests that the instructions said to simmer more than 15 minutes. Maybe 18 minutes, but I'm not sure.

Even when finally cooked, though, it wasn't very good. In fact, it was, as I said, pretty bad.

I've been trying different foods. Some are good, some aren't. This one distinguished itself, though.

The article from which I clipped the words on 45 minute cooking for Rissoto went on to say that any of the boxes that claim to be faster cooking are going to taste pretty poorly.

So, evidently, you managed to do an experiment that substantiated that claim.

Froggy
03-05-2007, 21:59
Apparently so.

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Any other foods out there that fall into the general category?

Froggy
03-08-2007, 21:01
Found another one.

Pasta Roni Creamy Parmesano, fettucine in a creamy parmesan sauce, requires boiling to thicken the sauce.

I had to put it back in a pot to boil it, and once cooked, it was very bland. Some additional parmesan and some salsa helped, but it's need for boiling puts this into the category of Foods Unsuitable for FBC.