PDA

View Full Version : cycling

rainmaker
02-16-2007, 23:09
Are there any cyclists out there who are planning to ride in the BRAG this year? I'm interested in picking your brain, particularly if you have done it before. Even if you haven't get in touch, we could have a Whiteblaze team.

Jerm
02-16-2007, 23:19
i've done it twice, but it has been a while, 93' and 94', the summers after my sophomore and junior years of high school.

pedal
02-17-2007, 09:54
I've thought about doing it for a number of years, just never have. I've heard it's great fun.

Pedal

RiverWarriorPJ
02-17-2007, 10:09
Are there any cyclists out there who are planning to ride in the BRAG this year? I'm interested in picking your brain, particularly if you have done it before. Even if you haven't get in touch, we could have a Whiteblaze team.

I'm a cyclist, but never heard of this ride.....Do you have a link..??..

pedal
02-17-2007, 12:23
The link for the ride is www.brag.org

Pedal

pedal
02-17-2007, 12:24
Rainmaker, are you going to do Brag this year?

Pedal

RiverWarriorPJ
02-17-2007, 12:30
The link for the ride is www.brag.org (http://www.brag.org)

Pedal

Hey..!!..Thnx PeDal..:D..

anneandbenhike
02-17-2007, 12:43
We did the CNC (Cross North Carolina) last October and it was fantastic, good weather and great company. The ride was well organized, really fun, and a beautiful route. BRAG is supposed to be equally fun but we have not done it...yet. We would definitely do it this year but I leave in two weeks to ride the Southern Tier, from San Diego, CA to St. Augustine FL, 3100 miles (see my journal about this ride) and will just have gotten back on May 3 so we will have to wait till next year for BRAG. We plan to hit some other cross state rides in the future. CNC was our first and I can highly recommend it. Here is the link. http://ncsports.org/nccyclemain.php (http://ncsports.org/nccyclemain.php)

They also have a spring ride in April which is just for a weekend. So do both...BRAG in June and CNC in October! Great fun!! Rainmaker, I am sure lots of the questions you have would be the same for the CNC ride, as far as tenting, gear, etc. PM if you need information. We learned alot this year. We can really recommend it!!

Jerm
02-17-2007, 14:02
cycle north carolina from what i hear is a great event. i worked at a bicycle shop in greensboro, nc for 8 years and heard a lot about it from customers. it was after i quit bicycle racing a few years back that i was able to get into backpacking more. now i work at an outfitter, imagine that.

brag was probably the highlight of those two summers. it was pretty much our family vacation. not only did i do it, but my brother and parents did as well. i look forward to being able to share the same with my children down the road, but maybe we can throw a family thru hike in there as well.

another long distance ride to check out is ragbrai, the grand daddy of all organized long distance bike rides. it is a party on wheels.

Alligator
02-17-2007, 14:28
I just picked up my first new road bike. I try to ride the MS150 every year.

Pedaling Fool
02-17-2007, 16:28
I always want to do a bike trip of any sort, other than my normal cylcing trips around my locale. I'm an avid cyclist that owns one car, but only my wife uses it; I go everywhere via bike. This year I plan on hiking Springer to Damascus (starting early April) and next year I plan to do the TransAm route across America. I'll have to look in to fitting in a BRAG, which I assume is Bike Ride Across Georgia. I'll check it out on the NET and see where I can fit it in since I live so close.

rainmaker
02-18-2007, 21:54
Pedal, yep, I'm registered for the BRAG. The dates are June 9---16.
Alligator, I've ridden in a couple of MS 150 rides but have switched to my state's Tour de Cure, a charity ride for diabetes.
Anneandbenhike, the CNC is on my list of things to as soon as we finish our anual fall trek AT to Maine. A transcontinental trip is also on my to do list. Will you be posting progress notes on your journal? Thanks everybody.

02-18-2007, 22:24
Try contacting Fred Woodward. He does shuttles here in Georgia. ( Look at the Neel's Gap part of the books.) He has done the BRAG for ,I believe, the last 6-8 years.

mweinstone
02-18-2007, 22:57
i dont have a brain. thanks.

damcyclist
02-19-2007, 09:19
I've done brag several times - but unfortunately have a conflict for this years ride.

Lot's of fun, good people, and the ride isn't very difficult. Jerry Colley is very reachable (the ride director) if you have questions specific about this years ride.

One word of warning - it's easy to gain weight on the ride! My appetite went through the roof. Nothing like downing a double cheesburger while waiting for a table at an AYCE chinese resturaunt..

Oh yea - bring earplugs.

the_iceman
02-19-2007, 09:33
Sounds great but I will be thru-hiking. Maybe next year.

the_iceman
02-19-2007, 09:42
John -

BRAG is a ride across Georgia. The Big Ride Across America is the American Lung Assoc and is major money to ride. Like $6 grand I think. You may want to consider Fast Ride Across America which is a commercial outfit. LA => Boston in 32 days. $4 grand - full support, lodging and meals. That is my next "big" adventure after I thru.

Jaybird
02-19-2007, 10:13

Glad to see more CYCLING HIKERS out here!
Not scheduled for the B.R.A.G. this year...but have CYCLED the B.R.A.T. many times.

see ya'll out on the ROAD!:D

anneandbenhike
02-19-2007, 12:35
I, too, am glad to see cycle-hikers here. We have done very nearly 1000 miles on the AT, from Georgia to Harper's Ferry, including a big section last summer, and I did the Smokies with a couple of woman friends last fall. Our open hole is 60 miles North from Pearisburg! I am sure we will pick it up this fall and then hope to do another long one to finish HF-ME.

Rainmaker, I sure do have a journal online for my bike ride. I leave in two weeks and will be riding with 30 over age 50 women on the Southern Tier Route. See my journal here. http://www.grahamcam.com/annesbicyclejournal

My husband is jealous but we plan a Transamerica run in the future as soon as it is possible. We, as many our age, have four aging parents who keep one of us in town all the time, so we alternate who gets to go. I will have the edge after 58 days on the x-country ride! He will do the http://www.bicycletourcolorado.com/ in June. We both hope, if we can work it out, to do the CNC ride September 29th to October 6th. That one is just too much fun!!

DuctTape
02-19-2007, 15:35
I just spent the last summer riding the transam and half the Pacific Coast. It was a most excellent adventure. I highly recommend this trip, especially for those folks who can't get away six months to hike the AT. It's a three month vacation, and likely easier to explain to a spouse, employer, etc.

Scorpion
02-19-2007, 23:36
I rode BRAG 2 years ago. Enjoyed the ride. Rode the Southern Tier in the spring last year, and in the summer the Erie Canal ride. This summer I'm registered for the Tour du Canada. It's almost 4700 miles from Vancouver BC to St. Johns, Newfoundland. I'm really looking forward to riding it.

Still get some backpacking in too. A week every October. Last year from Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana Dam. Getting out on the AT with a friend for a few days next month.

Scorpion GA-ME 04

pedal
02-20-2007, 08:26
Scorpion,
I had that backpacking trip (Dick's to Fontana) planned for last Oct, but unfortunately had to cancel due to unplanned surgery about a month before. Hope to do it this year. I've never done BRAG, but I decided after hearing so many good things about it, to do it this year.
I see you're in Swainsboro, ---born and raised there?

Pedal

anneandbenhike
02-22-2007, 11:23
Scorpion, Glad to hear you rode the Southern Tier last year. Did you go West to East? I start on March 9th from San Diego. What a trip that is going to be!!! I am really looking forward to it but I have had a huge streak of nervousness in the past few days. I guess I am feeling like those thru-hikers right before they go. Did you have any of those feelings?! My bike is being packed today and ships out tomorrow. It is finally nice weather here so I think a hike would be in order since my bike is gone for the time being.

DuctTape
02-22-2007, 13:30
Compared to backpacking, I think a bike trip is a piece-of-cake-vacation. Don't worry about it and have a great time!

anneandbenhike
03-31-2007, 21:15
I am out here in Texas, not hiking but bicycling and having a fantastic time. It has not rained yet. Tomorrow we have our biggest day and it is 110 miles. Hope I am up to it! Thanks for all of you who have been to my journal site. Hope to be back to hiking in late May as I arrive in St.Augustine, FL on May 3rd. Can't wait for Trail Days this year. I will be back in time for it.

rainmaker
03-31-2007, 23:25
Ann, glad to hear your trip has gone well. As for myself, I'm in training, putting in as much time on a bike as possible in preparation for the Tour de Cure and the Brag. Now is that 110 mile day a requirement or a personal challenge? BTW, when is Trail Daze this year?