PDA

View Full Version : Dry Bags

little bear
02-17-2007, 16:51
I just came from Wal Mart and they have Dry bags just like the ones that Sea to Summit make.

They sell them in a 3 pack: (1) 2L (1) 4L (1) 8L for $10.

They are the Dry sacks with the roll top made out of sil nylon.

If anyone is looking for them thought I would let yall know.

LB

GlazeDog
02-17-2007, 17:48
I highly doubt they are of the same quality. Keep us posted as you do a complete and thorough test comparison.

Good Luck.

GlazeDog

Weldman
02-17-2007, 20:34
Little bear,

I pick a pack up too, they are maded by Outdoor Product. Walmart also had the Dry sack compression bag for about $14. The 8L is big enough for my wife's down bag.

Mike

hammock engineer
02-18-2007, 02:33
Thanks. I haven't saw them there yet, but I am going to look now. I usually hit up a walmart when I can to look for fabric anyways.

buckowens
02-18-2007, 11:03
I had a buddy I was overseas with who was (he got downsized) in the fabric business just before we deployed. He told me that the industry has been decimated in the U.S. and most had moved outside our borders. I suppose that it could be likely that the Sea to Summit bags could be a custom labeled item that Wally World sells for less. It would be interesting to do a side by side. I have some STS bags and will see if the others are in my local Wally World.

superman
02-18-2007, 11:30
Does anyone know what happened to the clear one liter zip lock bags that unfolded on the bottom so it would sit flat and stable? The last box I found was in a small grocery in southern California. Do I just go to the wrong stores?

buckowens
02-19-2007, 14:50
I bought a 3 pack of the "Ultimate Dry Sacks" from Wally World today for 9 bucks. After getting them home I made the following observations:

1) The package is identical to the Sea to Summit

2) The bag shape and stitching locations are identical

3) The arrangement of the "little squares" of the fabric is in a box pattern unlike the Sea to Summit which is diamond patterned

4) The material from Wally World appears a bit thicker, and not as see through, but similar in feel to the Sea to Summit.

5) The three sizes are 2 litre, 4 litre and 8 litre.

6) Made by a company called "Outdoor Products, in China"

That's all I got. I would love to know if it is the same manufacturer, or just someone who is using the same packaging with a similar product.

chicote
02-22-2007, 12:26
Does anyone know what happened to the clear one liter zip lock bags that unfolded on the bottom so it would sit flat and stable? The last box I found was in a small grocery in southern California. Do I just go to the wrong stores?

Still for sale, I just bought some the other day at our local grocery store. Don't think you have Harris Teeter up there but I'm sure you can find some.

Rocketman
02-28-2007, 00:31
I bought some of these. They appear to be good value for the price.

I have a lot of silnylon for making backpacking gear, and these Wally World bags are not the standard silnylon that is normally made for parachute applications and then resold to backpacking and sewing outlets.

If you imagine that you are water trying to get inside the bag, it appears as if the cloth at the top of the bag is a pathway for water to soak into the package.

However, since the directions call for rolling the top three (3) times, this folding may seal the bag from water leaking in by means of this black cloth tape.

Has anybody tested theirs by putting in some rags, paper or other stuff, and then putting them in a filled tub overnight?

I bought them to see how they were made as a possible design for sewing my own bags.

overcame
02-28-2007, 00:41
Could you guys post the SKU numbers for the items you purchased? My local Wal-Mart doesn't seem to carry these type bags. However, if the SKU is available, I could order them online. Thanks:D

little bear
02-28-2007, 01:54
Could you guys post the SKU numbers for the items you purchased? My local Wal-Mart doesn't seem to carry these type bags. However, if the SKU is available, I could order them online. Thanks:D

I dont know which is the SKU # but on top of the bar code is 153wm-000
under the bar code is 2096850935

Hope this helps.

LB

vaporjourney
03-02-2007, 14:56
Has anyone popped these up on a scale yet? Curious to see if they are heavier than the sea to summit bags, which Buck Owens may have alluded to by saying that the material is thicker...

buckowens
03-02-2007, 16:15
Here are the stats that me and my trusty scale came up with for the Dry Bags:

4L Sea to Summit - 1 ounce
4L Outdoor Products - 1.2 ounces

2L Outdoor Products - 1 ounce
8L Outdoor Products - 1.6 ounces

5L Outdoor Products Bag with Valve - 3.7 ounces

I live to serve!! :D

vaporjourney
03-02-2007, 16:39
thanks for that buck. I just got back from checking these out at my local walmart. I was hoping they were the type of stuff sack that just has the drawstrick to seal it off. I'm not too fond of these with the buckle, but I'll keep them in mind. I could use a small stuff sack for my sleeping bag

RockStar
03-02-2007, 17:00
I just came from Wal Mart and they have Dry bags just like the ones that Sea to Summit make.

They sell them in a 3 pack: (1) 2L (1) 4L (1) 8L for $10.

They are the Dry sacks with the roll top made out of sil nylon.

If anyone is looking for them thought I would let yall know.

LB

I have MANY sized soap boxes when it comes to Wal-Mart. The tallest soap box is labeled, "Everyday falling Quality" I would NOT trust them to hold up for squat! HOWEVER, Wal-Mart does carry sil/nylon fabric and if you can find the time or someone who will, you can make your own stuff sacks/dry bag. Seam seal it and waterproof it and it will be 100 times better than the Wal mart kind!

Creek Dancer
03-05-2007, 16:36
I bought these bags today. They appear to be of good quality. The manufacturer is Outdoor Products. The package indicates that they are "polyurethane coated". The also warn that the bags are NOT intended for submersion.

mindi
03-08-2007, 00:33
Just got the last pack of these at Walmart yesterday since I needed a new stuff sack and that was all they had. (A run on stuff sacks, I guess). They look like pretty good quality and the price is right.