PDA

View Full Version : Need to clean camera lens.

Earl Grey
02-17-2007, 22:12
Got a fingerprint on the lens so I tried to get it off by brething on it to build up moisture and then wiping it with my shirt. This smear the lens so I tried it again but with a smartwool sock. This smeared it even more however pictures still look ok but I cant help think that it degrades it somewhat. I thought about trying 90% rubbing alcohol but that could strip some coating off. Should I just take it to some place before I make it worse?

bigcranky
02-17-2007, 22:45
Lots of crap on the lens will degrade the image. Don't wipe it with your shirt, or your sock -- go to a camera shop and get some lens tissue and lens cleaner, or at least a microfiber cloth (which you can use with your breath). A small can of compressed air isn't a bad idea, either.

Alcohol won't strip the coatings, but rubbing alcohol isn't the best choice. You can get lens cleaner and tissue any place that sells cameras, even Best Buy and Target.

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 15:25
Costco (pharmacy/drugs area) has very good glasses/lens cleaner wipes. No lint, very light alcohol.

The Weasel

rafe
02-19-2007, 16:10
Alcohol shouldn't damage the coating. But don't use any paper product to clean a lens -- use only clean cotton. If you get a fingerprint on a lens, clean it off ASAP, because there are acids in your sweat that will eventually degrade the coating.