PDA

View Full Version : questions about food..........

jettjames
02-17-2007, 22:23
so does anyone have thos efruit cups included in their mail drops? do the burst open or hold up?

fruit snacks or dried fruit?

also what kind of food can i expect to find inthe smaller resupply points? veiena sausages and dinty moore stew? chips?

fbc - has anyone used the prepackaged foods from leornard mountain

http://leonardmountain.com/tab2/store/category/8bce/Box_Soup_Mix.html

I've not used the fbc method, but i am trying it out before I leave. do you use the cozy just to keep the bag warm or also as a holder to eat out of? what is the eaisest kind to use? to me it looks like it might be the 2 pot holders sewn together on 3 sides.

I will not have the time to put together my own fbc meals so my idea is to re-packages some of those soup/stew mixes into fb's or some of the lipton/rice meals. then mix in canned or foil chicken or ham. also fruit and fresh veggies when i can get them. snickers, trail mix, oatmeal (quaker envelopes i guess) peanut butter, tortillas or flat bread.

does that sound about right?

pt

Chache
02-17-2007, 22:37
3 Amigos Enchilada Stew. Nice. Let us know how it is. Shipping makes it to expensive for just a small order.

PJ 2005
02-18-2007, 01:53
canned anything is heavy, but the protein is nice. i ended up following this fairly closely:

breakfast: dry cereal - 6-8 ounces each morning
lunch and snacks: granola bars/crackers/snickers (6) or peanut butter/nutella on a bread
dinner: lipton/macaroni+cheese/2ramens + small can of meat (about every other meal)

the fun meal is the first one out of town. cooperate with other hikers and have a hot dog feast :-)

Toolshed
02-18-2007, 11:01
Reminds me of a backpack trip I was on years ago. There were 3 beginner women on the trip. I had thought the Trip-leader had thoroughly explained to them that weight as one of the primary reasons why we don't take canned food on trips.

Anyways, we were camping at a State Park staging area the night before - The next morning, the trip leader asked me to go over while they were having breakfast and help them pack their packs properly.

When I asked them what they brought for food, I was mildly surprised. They had 2 cans of tuna between them as well as 3 cans of spaghetti-os and each had 2 cans of soup apiece. All carefully repacked in Tupperware - liquid and all. When I asked why the Tupperware and the all the liquids, one of the younger woman promptly took it upon herself to explain to me that cans are too heavy for backpacking and it is better to open them and dump the contents in Tupperware. :welcome

jettjames
02-18-2007, 15:40
thanks everyone.

toolshed - that is so funny. but they DID listen to what you said.

PJ - is that 6 snickers bars for lunch!?!?!?! every day?

chache - those meals are good. I know they are a bit expensive but I get a deal. friend of friend.

but could someoen address my cozy question? and comment about my menu idea?

also for breakfast, does anyone use those carnation instant breakfast mixes with some powdered milk thrown in?

pt

mudhead
02-18-2007, 16:51
Started with a 4 cup Serving Saver bowl. Now use a 3 cup cylindrical Serving Saver. Will support the bag for "Jethro" sized feeding. Fits my hand better and holds a MSR cartridge when empty. Have tried hat, jacket, and blue foam "pocket." Usually have more issue waiting for it to cool enough to eat. When testing on the counter I have used a small plate to cover, without a bag. I don't do much complicated concoctioning. Pour & clot, yeehaw.

sarbar
02-18-2007, 16:56
Potholders will work well sewn together, as will polarfleece or knit hats. Relectvix is lighter than most options (like the one AGG sells). You can also sew up cozies out of a number of fabrics.
Not to sell stuff, but I am figuring in about 1-2 weeks I will have a UL cozy up for sale on my website! It is flexible and weighs in at about 1 1/4 ounces-and works better than most cozies I have used. Just have to finish sewing up my stock....

jettjames
02-18-2007, 17:06
thanks again all.

what about those plastic fruit cups? you know the single serving kind with peaches or mandarin oranges for kids lunches? do they hold up? worth it? or will i find enough fresh fruit at re-supply points?

pt

hopefulhiker
02-18-2007, 18:26
I used dehydrated fruit.. I would cut up a fresh pinapple and dehydrate it. Or bananas, strawberries, apples, peaches, just about anything... very light....