PDA

View Full Version : where to start.

jettjames
02-18-2007, 00:56
do most start at springer or at the approach trail?
just one of my many odd newbie questions.

pt

Nameless
02-18-2007, 01:54
I don't know where most start, but I think its a rather personal thing. I went back and forth for weeks wondering which to do, and finally came to the conclusion to hike the approach trail. That may change comming March 1st, I am still not sure. Its supposed to have some absolutly beautiful veiws, which is why I think we will hike it. I'm not going to wimp out about a couple miles when I have well over 2000 infront of me.

Pink

hammock engineer
02-18-2007, 02:30
That's pretty much my thoughts on it. I love hiking and love every moment I get. I am the guy with the big smile while hiking in the rain or out of breath at the top of the hill. Extending my trip by 8 miles means 8 more miles I hiking I get to do on a section of trail I never been on.

FanaticFringer
02-18-2007, 02:31
Just drop from a plane with a shute over Springer and yer good to go.:cool:

hopefulhiker
02-18-2007, 08:42
I went to Amicola falls to sign in and then
I started by getting a ride to the parking lot near Springer, going up the hill and tagging the marker and started down the mountain to begin the thru..

Bloodroot
02-18-2007, 09:18

Yeah hitch a ride with the Rangers that fly round up there.

The way I thought was what's another couple miles when you are planning on hiking 2100+?

Lone Wolf
02-18-2007, 11:59
do most start at springer or at the approach trail?
just one of my many odd newbie questions.

pt

nowadays more start at usfs 42 .9 north of springer mtn.

GlazeDog
02-18-2007, 11:59

Have you heard of Jump Start. He did just that very thing.

This "odd newbie question" is one of the most frequently asked questions when thinking of starting the AT. One motto of the trail is "hike your own hike". In the end it's what matches up with what feels right to you inside.

GlazeDog

jettjames
02-18-2007, 15:34
Thanks everyone. My thinking is about the same, what is the differnce of 8 miles when I got 2100 to go. If I start looking for short cuts now, what happens when I am tired on the trail. Don't want to start off feeling like i took the 'easy way'. I'll save that for when I am blistered and whooped.

pt

Lone Wolf
02-18-2007, 15:38
Thanks everyone. My thinking is about the same, what is the differnce of 8 miles when I got 2100 to go. If I start looking for short cuts now, what happens when I am tired on the trail. Don't want to start off feeling like i took the 'easy way'. I'll save that for when I am blistered and whooped.

pt

but you have no way of know IF you'll make it 2100 miles. the odds are against you.

jettjames
02-18-2007, 15:44
they usally are Lone wolf, but I am one to press on. I have no illusions that this is going to be easy or totally fun. I am prepared mentally for cold rainey wetaher and tough times, sore knees and aching feet. if it is better than that, then great.

pt

trlhiker
02-18-2007, 16:04
Why wear yourself out on the first day. I have heard that the approach trail is pretty tough.

Skipper the Eyechild
02-18-2007, 16:39
My thoughts are that if I do the approach trail, then I can start the Trail Propper the next day in a more hiker-y spirit, as opposed to having to get a lift out before I start the trail.

Blissful
02-18-2007, 18:51
I'm sure every day is tough, why not start at the Approach and get ready for the rest of the days? I want to get my trail legs asap anyway.

Skidsteer
02-18-2007, 18:59
The approach trail isn't all that tough.

You folks are psyching yourselves out about nothing. Decide to walk it or not, but there's no sense beating yourself up over it either way.

Frosty
02-18-2007, 19:03
My thoughts are that if I do the approach trail, then I can start the Trail Propper the next day in a more hiker-y spirit, as opposed to having to get a lift out before I start the trail.Not only this, but spending the first night on Springer with all the other folks starting their hikes is pretty exciting.

GlazeDog
02-18-2007, 20:09
Added Bonus: You might see some hilarious ***** tossed aside by other hikers that first 8 miles on the approach trail. hahaha. :)

GlazeDog

Lone Wolf
02-18-2007, 21:24
they usally are Lone wolf, but I am one to press on. I have no illusions that this is going to be easy or totally fun. I am prepared mentally for cold rainey wetaher and tough times, sore knees and aching feet. if it is better than that, then great.

pt

then hike the approach trail and all the blue-blaze trails too. why did you bother to even ask how others started the trail?

TurkeyBacon
02-18-2007, 21:48
"You folks are psyching yourselves out about nothing. Decide to walk it or not, but there's no sense beating yourself up over it either way."
I'll second that, a lot of questions and not worth the worying, but hey worrying is part of the process.
Keep asking odd newbie questions... we'll keep answering them.
TB

jettjames
02-18-2007, 22:03
well there grumpy gus / lone wolf. I just might hike some blue blazes and most likely hike the approach too.
I didn't ask 'HOW' others started, but 'WHERE'. Thanks for helping out. I asked because I've never been to the start of the trail and most of you have.

btw, i do like reading some of your other posts

Lone Wolf
02-18-2007, 22:05
well there grumpy gus / lone wolf. I just might hike some blue blazes and most likely hike the approach too.
I didn't ask 'HOW' others started, but 'WHERE'. Thanks for helping out. I asked because I've never been to the start of the trail and most of you have.

btw, i do like reading some of your other posts

the start of the trail in the south is at springer mtn. i ain't grumpy, i'm just tellin' it like it is.:) if i'm gonna run a marathon i ain't gonna go for a 5 mile run just before the start.

mweinstone
02-18-2007, 23:04
everyone starts at the doorknob of there house after lifting there pack on the way to amacalola.

TinAbbey
02-19-2007, 11:04
everyone starts at the doorknob of there house after lifting there pack on the way to amacalola.

matthewski is correct

briarpatch
02-19-2007, 11:48
Have you heard of Jump Start. He did just that very thing.
GlazeDog

From http://gorp.away.com/gorp/books/excerpts/springer.htm

"No one ever began an Appalachian Trail thru-hike with more panache than Robie Hensley. In the hiking community has only one name:"Jumpstart." After retiring as postmaster of Chuckey, Tennessee, Robie began a search for new challenges. On his second flight on a hazy, blustery day, Robie parachuted out of a small plane piloted by son Steve. He landed eight thousand feet below among the rocks and dense tree cover at the very top of Springer Mountain, Georgia, not far from the plaque marking the southern end of the 2,147-mile long Appalachian Trail (A.T.). "

max patch
02-19-2007, 11:52
the start of the trail in the south is at springer mtn. i ain't grumpy, i'm just tellin' it like it is.:) if i'm gonna run a marathon i ain't gonna go for a 5 mile run just before the start.

When I run marathons I do an easy mile jog before I start....

Socrates
02-20-2007, 06:34
I'm doing the approach. I don't understand why they just don't make it the start of the AT. "Approach" and then start the trail? When I start hiking, I'm hiking and you can call it whatever you want.

Spirit Walker
02-20-2007, 11:05
For some, it depends on how you are getting to the trailhead. In my case, the taxi drivers wouldn't drive me to FS 42, so I started at the Park on both hikes. My partner was driven by family in a pickup, so they easily drove to the top of the mountain. Even if your taxi will drive you up, the cost will be much higher because it is farther.

As others have said, the approach trail isn't that difficult. If you enjoy hiking, it's just a few extra miles of up and down. If you don't - then why are you out there?

soad
02-20-2007, 12:14
Can someone please help me, I am planning a SOBO and would like to avoid the first part of the trail that lead to Katahdin, is there any way to get to the top of Big K without hiking......just kidding....:)

The Weasel
02-20-2007, 12:50
My wife wanted to see me off, so we went to the FS road lot and parked and she went to the top with me, then joined me on the start. It gave me a feeling of a lot of support.

The Weasel