PDA

View Full Version : Compression sacks

saimyoji
02-18-2007, 11:59
Which size compression sack should I get for a sleeping bag (synthetic) that fits tightly into a 8 x 18 stuff sack? Also, should things (like clothes) fit easily into the compression sack before compressing, or should you have to "stuff" it in before compressing it down. I'd be ordering online, otherwise I'd take my gear to a shop and see for myself.

Also, compression sacks versus compression caps? Any thoughts??

Also, construction of compression sacks: materials. Is weight savings outweighed by durability here? I'd hate to have a lightweight compression sack rip open during a trip due to weak (overstressed) materials.

Thanks for the info.

Lyle
02-18-2007, 13:41
Just my opinion:

With the newer, lightweight, more compressable sleeping bags, compression sacks are not necessary. In fact, overly compressing a sleeping bag will shorten it's life considerably.

Also, with internal frame packs, where you stuff the bag inside the pack, I find even the stuff sacks that come with the bag unecessary. Just line your pack with a trash bag, place your sleeping bag and vital clothing inside, then loosely close the bag and pack the rest of the pack. The weight and your stuffing will compress the sleeping bag only the amount necessary for that particular load.

Works well for me.
Lyle

TurkeyBacon
02-20-2007, 10:24
I thought it was interesting how few people used them on the trail. In fact, I picked up a real nice granite gear sack in a hiker box, which I promptly mailed home. I used a down bag, so it was not needed, but try using your current stuff sack, stuff it in the bottom of the pack vertically, then rotate it horizontal. As long as it fits in the bottom of the pack, you won't need more compression. Another uber cheap option is two lash straps positioned perpendicular to each other. I would go with comp bags over comp caps, although the caps combined with a waterproof sack is a nice combo. The problem with light weight comp sacks is probably people expecting too much and over stuffing them.
I would not include things like clothes in with your sl bag. You are asking too much from your sl bag and will reduce its life. I would not stick clothes in a comp sack either, simply for convenience of pulling things out during the day.
TB